Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I think a lot of you are forgetting how loving broken carts where in DF for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kris xK posted:

I think a lot of you are forgetting how loving broken carts where in DF for a while.

they still are tbh

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

bob dobbs is dead posted:

cool kids property of banach spaces is convergence of cauchy sequence but in grid discrete land who gives a poo poo i guess

I can barely prove the convergence of a goddamn geometric series! If I ever manage to pop enough papers from The Stack to get back to this then I'll have to figure out all of that crap! I mean it's not actually going to happen because past experience shows that I've never actually read any single paper I've put in The Stack instead of reading it on the spot, but I feel like I should still be somewhat irked by having been introduced to a potentially interesting paper I will never actually read. It's more of a reflex than anything at this point. Sorry.

silentsnack posted:

DF wagons can cheat by using the same pathfinding algorithm on a modified "the world as navigated by a MxN object" where every path-blocking obstacle is (M-1)/2 tiles wider in one dimension and (N-1)/2 tiles wider in the other. Rimworld also has poo poo like terrains with different speed values

Just average those speed values and solve on that then go for a finer resolution or something. If multigrid methods are good enough to solve fluid dynamics problems then they're good enough to figure out how best to run over some idiot raiders with my tricked out T-34 that somehow landed on this rimworld 2000 years ago before being restored by my colonists to blow up some cannibal ersatz fascists, goddamnit!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
One thing missing from Biotech is sex-linked traits. Just a container that activates if "is male" or "is female" is true.

You can kind of kludge that with monogender xenotypes, but a mixed colony won't breed true. Best I've found is making it entirely xenogenes so they breed baseliners, then implanting the babies. :negative:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I like how trying to sterilize a horse can result in grievous neck, head, and hoof wounds. Just what exactly where you aiming for?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why would you bother sterilizing a horse in the first place, eat them horse babies!

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Try to sterilise me and I'll sure as hell give you hoof wounds!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

buglord posted:

I like how trying to sterilize a horse can result in grievous neck, head, and hoof wounds. Just what exactly where you aiming for?

i thought they just took away his star

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

buglord posted:

Rubber bands around balls are difficult, man.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i thought they just took away his star

The process is distressingly similar

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
so it looks like there are absolutely no downsides to using growth vats from ages 0-3 and then 13-18

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

so it looks like there are absolutely no downsides to using growth vats from ages 0-3 and then 13-18

Minor mood and opportunity cost unless you have Growth Vats: Required in your precepts. It also takes more food to power the vats than they'll eat and you don't get kids doing work.

Otherwise yeah its pretty free.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

buglord posted:

They didn't use enough/the proper sedatives, so the horse responded to the initial grab (not even a cut) by rearing up and toppling over backwards on to the surgical equipment.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I recovered a downed tribal raider who had lost a leg during the fight - normally I heal these folks up, convert them to my ideoligion and send them home, so I went to give this poor woman a peg leg to make the journey home a little easier. Oops, guess you're getting two peg legs :blush:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Flesh Forge posted:

I recovered a downed tribal raider who had lost a leg during the fight - normally I heal these folks up, convert them to my ideoligion and send them home, so I went to give this poor woman a peg leg to make the journey home a little easier. Oops, guess you're getting two peg legs :blush:

Yeah, I'm always constantly double-checking to make sure I'm picking the correct limb. Would be nice if I could just right click the missing part in the health tab and select the relevant surgery that way.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh I did pick the correct limb, the surgeon just botched so bad they cut off the other leg. :blush:

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

isndl posted:

Yeah, I'm always constantly double-checking to make sure I'm picking the correct limb. Would be nice if I could just right click the missing part in the health tab and select the relevant surgery that way.

One of my, several hundred, mods adds a little red cross on operations that will restore a missing limb. Maybe it's medical system expansion 2? Or questionable ethics? I honestly have no idea where it's from, it just appeared one day.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh I did pick the correct limb, the surgeon just botched so bad they cut off the other leg. :blush:

That's probably one of the most realistic ways to botch surgery in RimWorld, considering how often that happens in RL. :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Lt. Lizard posted:

That's probably one of the most realistic ways to botch surgery in RimWorld, considering how often that happens in RL. :v:

quote:

Amputated the leg in under 2 1⁄2 minutes (the patient died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene; they usually did in those pre-Listerian days). He amputated in addition the fingers of his young assistant (who died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene). He also slashed through the coat tails of a distinguished surgical spectator, who was so terrified that the knife had pierced his vitals he fainted from fright (and was later discovered to have died from shock).
— Richard Gordon

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

300% fatality rate for the surgery, gently caress yeah

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
That's one of my favorite weird medical apocryphas because it sounds very 'drink cocaine to cure the ghosts in your blood' 1800's medicine, but they actually really didn't have anesthesia like we do now so being able to do an amputation just ludicrously quickly.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah prior to ether being able to knock a motherfucker cold the primary measure for how good a surgeon you were was how fast you could any% an operation

because, y'know, no matter how big and tough you are, when someone is carving into your flesh you are definitely gonna holler and scream and struggle

it's basically THE big reason why surgery in rimworld looks so dumb on the biggest failures. yes, that stuff happened, but it happened because the patient was screaming and thrashing as though they were being murdered. because they kinda were. even herbal meds will knock someone the gently caress out so it looks super loving stupid in practice.

that said it's also deeply funny so imho it can stay

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You also have to remember that a lot of Rimworld doctors are self-taught and may be drunk and high and probably getting psychically screamed at by a malevolent machine god during the operation

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Like apparently an arcotech remotely turned someone into the first sanguophage, all bets are off

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

Like apparently an arcotech remotely turned someone into the first sanguophage, all bets are off

Rename that pawn into The First Birth Of This Cycle

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Coolguye posted:

yeah prior to ether being able to knock a motherfucker cold the primary measure for how good a surgeon you were was how fast you could any% an operation

because, y'know, no matter how big and tough you are, when someone is carving into your flesh you are definitely gonna holler and scream and struggle

it's basically THE big reason why surgery in rimworld looks so dumb on the biggest failures. yes, that stuff happened, but it happened because the patient was screaming and thrashing as though they were being murdered. because they kinda were. even herbal meds will knock someone the gently caress out so it looks super loving stupid in practice.

that said it's also deeply funny so imho it can stay

tbf herbal meds are kinda bullshit-overpowered mechanically compared to actual medicine because losing is only sometimes fun.

like oh hey you got second-degree burns and gunshot wounds and you're dying of an infection, lol nah i'll just go pick some random weeds and rub some of my grandma's patented ~fuckin mystery ginseng paste~ on it, and now everything is perfectly fine

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

silentsnack posted:

tbf herbal meds are kinda bullshit-overpowered mechanically compared to actual medicine because losing is only sometimes fun.

like oh hey you got second-degree burns and gunshot wounds and you're dying of an infection, lol nah i'll just go pick some random weeds and rub some of my grandma's patented ~fuckin mystery ginseng paste~ on it, and now everything is perfectly fine
It's the future in a world where glitterworlds exist at the highest levels of conceptual technological advancement. Surely some do-gooder could genetically engineer some fantastically effective medical herbs and seed the rim with it. Once it was out there its obvious utility would mean everyone who could grow it would grow it, and you'd find it everywhere.

The fact that it's as good for a burn or the flu as it is for a broken leg is a gameplay abstraction that apply to higher levels of medicine as well. The fact that it's far more effective than you'd expect a plant to be is a plausible sci-fi conceit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That same do-gooder probably seeded the galaxy with boomalopes and ambrosia, unaware that they were just spreading wildfires and drug addiction.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Also they bred fanatical raiders that can smell a potato from a hundred miles away

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

silentsnack posted:

tf are you talking about there is definitely a general use painkiller disinfectant anesthesia burn tannin irl its called uh

oh

huh

you mean that there isn't a single plant that does even 2 of those things?

W E L P

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

tf are you talking about there is definitely a general use painkiller disinfectant anesthesia burn tannin irl its called uh

oh

huh

W E L P

IT'S CALLED WEED

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

IT'S CALLED WEED

:hai:

also

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 25, 2023

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I started playing again recently and I turned on Biotech since my last colony was before it came out. I got some refugees with a child so I took them in. Everything was going great until a boomrat wandered into a trap and exploded which killed the refugee kid who just happened to be nearby. I then sold the kid sized clothing I created for weapons. Rimworld is amazing lol.

Edit: For sale, baby clothing never worn. Will trade for chain shotguns or other automatic weapons.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OGS-Remix posted:

I started playing again recently and I turned on Biotech since my last colony was before it came out. I got some refugees with a child so I took them in. Everything was going great until a boomrat wandered into a trap and exploded which killed the refugee kid who just happened to be nearby. I then sold the kid sized clothing I created for weapons. Rimworld is amazing lol.

for sale. baby shoes. worn once.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
drat I always slept on Hussars because having one magically made traders stop selling go juice, but it's impressive seeing someone take a few hits during a raid and be fully healed by the time the plane is loaded and heading home.

It's also great because my one abrasive pawn just keeps running up to call him a slur and get his limbs immediately mangled. He's had like seven trips to the hospital and he still won't learn

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"HEY WHATS UP YOU RED EYED CU

*Colonist needs rescue*

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hussars are great and if I can get the fast healing gene off them I always work that into the entire colony.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Coolguye posted:

oh

huh

W E L P

What are you talking about?

Coca leaves are all four, although they aren't a general anesthetic. (Why do you think every synthetic local anesthetic ends with -caine?) Any tannin-rich leaf is also a topical disinfectant. Poppy latex is a painkiller and general anesthetic. Crown flower latex has a local and possibly general anesthetic effect, as well as a topical disinfectant effect (although it's also worryingly toxic). Avaram senna has tannin-rich leaves and may be a broad antibiotic when consumed. There's tons of plants with reported anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, or sedative effects that just haven't been explored properly in studies.

It's not realistic that you don't have to process and properly measure herbal medicine so you can control the dose, especially when one of its main uses is general anesthesia. And the real-life plants that we know of also happen to be highly addictive. But I do think you're selling the possibility of some sort of broadly useful natural or GM medicinal plant short.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Coolguye posted:

oh

huh

W E L P

It's called coconut oil