Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Orty posted:

Put together a new PC with a 7900XTX from a 1080Ti but still using my old trusty Dell U2412M. Just looking to move to something more "modern" and enjoy some of the tech that has matured over the ~10 years ive had this one. HDR, 1440p (not wanting 4k), higher refresh rates, etc.

You’re simply not going to get real HDR on a monitor without oled or miniled. Its worth it to save for oled panels that are coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can someone explain about using a second monitor to do side stuff? I have no idea what goes on with using multiple monitors and I want one for simple tasks.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://youtu.be/_jGtEqkenBg

Until somebody else figures this out that monitor could sell for twice as much still be almost impossible to get.

Gratz to anyone who snagged one.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can someone explain about using a second monitor to do side stuff? I have no idea what goes on with using multiple monitors and I want one for simple tasks.

As a teacher, I have my students hand things in digitally so I can have their work open and the gradebook open and the answer key open all at the same time.

It’s also super useful when you’re creating lessons because you can have your full PowerPoint screen on one monitor and then be generating content for it on the other monitor.

It’s basically just when I’m working.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger screen, having upgraded my PC recently.

It's sort of a mixed mode PC, as I work from home a fair bit, but really I'm prioritising the gaming/media consumption aspect.

Is 1440p at 32" a reasonable compromise? 4K gaming seems like a non-starter and I'm fairly comfortable with how text and productivity stuff looks at 1080p/24".

Currently looking at the Gigabyte M32Q or the LG 32GP850-B

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Scalding Coffee posted:

It’s so good these days, used to work ok but enhanced by a third party tool was good; now windows pretty much has all that third party helper stuff built in. But just think of it as another desktop that you can do whatever on.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Scalding Coffee posted:

I have my main monitor setup normally in landscape mode, and use it for focused tasks like design review. My second monitor is to the right of the main, turned sideways in portrait mode. On the now tall skinny display, I have three medium sized windows all stacked vertically with stuff like email, chat, schedule all visible simultaneously.

It’s crazy easy to setup now. Windows will automatically detect any monitors plugged in, and you can use display settings to move around matching for where you placed them. With this, I effectively have a sideways T-shaped desktop. I love it, and will never go back.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What would I look for in a second monitor used for small tasks and can it be used without being a burden for gaming?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Scalding Coffee posted:

What would I look for in a second monitor used for small tasks and can it be used without being a burden for gaming?

Whatever you want and yes

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Shop to the size/resolution/refresh rate that's appropriate. If you're not going to game on it, 60-100Hz is totally fine. I have a 24" 1080p monitor as my secondary display and it's fine (though I might size up to another 27"). Second question, it won't impact things at all.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Speaking of Gigabyte, they've recently announced an "M27U," a basic 27" 4K 160hz IPS display. It'll be interesting to see if they price this even lower than the M28U, which is $560 currently and has been discounted down as low as $450. An even cheaper high-refresh 4k gaming monitor would be pretty sweet.

If it's cheaper than the LG equivalent that would be tempting, I really want to see Gigabyte's BFI + vrr tech. I have a work provided MBP, a series x and an alright PC with a 3060ti that I kinda regret buying but it's fine for what I play. Anything graphic intensive could be DLSS or integer scaled to 1080p and be OK at 27". If it wasn't for work and looking at text all day I'd just get a fast 1080p panel, but I need that real estate and clarity.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Scalding Coffee posted:

My secondary monitor is mostly dedicated for Youtube videos or some other streaming. Or it's showing a music player. Usually when I'm watching videos I browse the forums at the same or do something else. In fact, when I'm on my laptop I seldom watch videos because I don't have enough free time to dedicate on that.

On my tertiary monitor I have IRC and Discord chats open.

When in work mode the secondary monitor usually has email or Teams client, or it may be showing a service monitoring website. The tertiary monitor is showing the work Jabber chat.

If I'm doing a work task that will take 10 minutes or longer but doesn't require active actions from me, I usually do some other tasks on another monitor while waiting it to finish.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Stotty posted:

I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger screen, having upgraded my PC recently.

It's sort of a mixed mode PC, as I work from home a fair bit, but really I'm prioritising the gaming/media consumption aspect.

Is 1440p at 32" a reasonable compromise? 4K gaming seems like a non-starter and I'm fairly comfortable with how text and productivity stuff looks at 1080p/24".

Currently looking at the Gigabyte M32Q or the LG 32GP850-B

I own the 32GP850-B. Its definitely a good bang for your buck. No issues aside from the contrast and picture crispness not being amazing. For the $300-350 price point its worth it.

Heard that the Gigabyte might be better though.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
That's good to know.

They both seemed to review similarly, but the Gigabyte seems to be a bit cheaper over here by about £50 or so.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Looking at display prices, how are goons making the decision between a 27" 1440p with OLED and crazy high refresh rates of 240hz+ vs. enormous ultrawides?

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020
Going nowhere near either?

Both far too steep

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Looking at display prices, how are goons making the decision between a 27" 1440p with OLED and crazy high refresh rates of 240hz+ vs. enormous ultrawides?

Personal preference. After testing the Corsair Xeneon Flex, I'd rather have the former with a secondary IPS monitor

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Usage for me - I mostly play online first person shooters and a 27” monitor is as big as I’d go.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SuperTeeJay posted:

Usage for me - I mostly play online first person shooters and a 27” monitor is as big as I’d go.

Same.

I thought about switching from 27 to 32 because I have been getting bigger with every purchase but I just can’t imagine having five more inches and being able to see from corner to corner all at once.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Anything more than 27" means the edges of the screen are inconveniently far from the centre. That rules out 32"+ monitors and any worthwhile ultrawides too. Plus ultrawides are often curved which I dislike.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
For any early buyers of the PG27AQDM, there's recent a firmware update which improves the colours for SDR content. Details here: https://tftcentral.co.uk/articles/asus-rog-swift-oled-pg27aqdm-hdr-performance-investigation-and-firmware-confusion

You can check if you need it by opening the on-screen display, going to system setup -> information -> fw version. MCM103 is the latest.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
was reminded to go and check if PG42UQ firmware issues have been fixed yet.

HA.

https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/12ssmb3/pg42uq_new_firmware_incoming_to_fix_hdr_issues/

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does it matter if I pick a smaller resolution for the second monitor or is equal refresh rate the important one?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does it matter if I pick a smaller resolution for the second monitor or is equal refresh rate the important one?

If you're running Windows 11 it shouldn't matter at all. Earlier Windows versions might have a bit of trouble juggling different resolutions/refreshes (though honestly I hardly ever had any major headaches going as far back as Windows XP)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Crossposting from Tech Relics land:

Gonna try this thread because the Mac Hardware thread only got one bite and it fizzled apparently.

Would anyone like an Apple Cinema Display, the first-generation 22" one from 2000? The one that cost $4000 new. I've been lugging it around for decades and no longer have any hope of a use for it.

It needs a new backlight I believe, so you: good with soldering iron etc

Free to a good home. I'm in Florida but I'll ship. PM if interested!

e: taken!

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 24, 2023

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

DoctorRobert posted:

Going nowhere near either?

Both far too steep

I am glad OLEDs are coming out. It means theres a wealth of used perfectly good LCDs going for like 2-3 times less than when they came out.

Like I just bought M32U and aw3420dw for $300 each used which would have been crazy a few years back.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It's extremely impressive how much monitor you are able to buy with your money today. I remember stacking Office Depot coupons to grab a 19" Full HD NEC Monitor for a couple hundred back in 2005. :smith:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nowadays, it seems 4K 144hz starts at $450: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091G34M7P?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

Though that's a special sale price, and Amazon is telling me only three are left in stock. It's a good monitor though, with the same panel as the M28U. It supports full HDMI 2.1 bandwidth too for full PS5/XSX support. (oops, no it doesn't--PS5 will be restricted to 4:2:0 chroma in 120hz mode)

edit: A used M32U for $300 is a hell of a bargain, even if it the owner is selling it due to bad IPS glow or whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 24, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Well I know I said seeing one in person turned me off from it, but it planted a seed in my brain and I couldn’t stop thinking about how much I actually really liked the LG 45GR95QE. And since I apparently just have money to set on fire, I went ahead and got one. :homebrew: Turns out I love it and the pixel density absolutely doesn’t bother me at all after using it for a few days. The monitor getting a $200 price reduction didn’t hurt things either.

It’s still comically large though, so I don’t think I could readily recommend it to anyone else unless they want a massive gently caress-off 45” 800R curved monitor.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Everyone gripes about curves and I was one of them, but after getting the Alienware OLED HDR 34" I forget it's curved all the time.

Just don't be like my wife's grandma and get a curved tv where all the seating is offset from center by many feet.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I thought I would hate the curve but I’ve come to appreciate it, monitor would be too big for as close as I sit otherwise.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Everyone gripes about curves and I was one of them, but after getting the Alienware OLED HDR 34" I forget it's curved all the time.

Just don't be like my wife's grandma and get a curved tv where all the seating is offset from center by many feet.

There's a pretty big difference between 1800R and 800R. 1800R feels just right for an ultrawide panel

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Curved monitor talk reminds me: if you are looking for a high refresh rate 4k monitor that isn't curved, the Coolermaster Tempest GP27U seems to be readily available in the US now. It's a flat 27" IPS panel that can do 4k at 160Hz with (apparently, can't vouch for it) good local dimming. Rtings puts on similar ground with a Samsung Odyssey Neo G7/G8. It was pretty hard to find when they reviewed it, but seems to have been in steady supply for the last month or two.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Shipon posted:

There's a pretty big difference between 1800R and 800R. 1800R feels just right for an ultrawide panel

Yeah the 800R curve is extremely aggressive. I think it only works on this monitor because of how huge the panel is. If it were any smaller the curve would make things look awful.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah the 800R curve is extremely aggressive. I think it only works on this monitor because of how huge the panel is. If it were any smaller the curve would make things look awful.

Surely with a monitor that big, you would sit further away and so a shallower curve would be more suitable? From the photo the edges look much too close to the camera compared to the centre of the screen.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Surely with a monitor that big, you would sit further away and so a shallower curve would be more suitable? From the photo the edges look much too close to the camera compared to the centre of the screen.

This is what I'm doing with the Xeneon Flex, I just pulled the edges a little closer in for normal productivity work

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Nice drink coaster. Are the new ones more stable with cans? I got the original set of four (cost a fortune to get them shipped to the EU), and I like them, but they are just a bit wobbly with thin bottles and cans.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Photo was taken with my phone’s ultrawide camera, so there is a bit of fisheye going on there. I’m sitting about as close to the screen as I did when I had a 1700R 34” UW monitor, which is arguably too close, but it works for me personally. Again, it’s absolutely something I cannot recommend to most people.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Nice drink coaster. Are the new ones more stable with cans? I got the original set of four (cost a fortune to get them shipped to the EU), and I like them, but they are just a bit wobbly with thin bottles and cans.

Yes and no. The SSD and RAM ones are not very stable with cans, but the GN logo and the CPU socket ones are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Curved screens make sense when the screen is being viewed from a single spot where the screen size is a significant percentage of the viewing distance.

Curved TVs were always a stupid idea for normal home setups, but once you go over a certain screen size for a desktop monitor they start to become mandatory.