Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

PK made a (rare) good point that with so many products labelled as March of the Machine -Something (draft booster, sat booster, collector booster, commander deck etc etc) it would be easy to mistake MoM: aftermath for a product with the same release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I know we’ve moved on from land variance chat but I urge the folks who bitch about it to flip a coin a few times so they can learn about probability and variance.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Sending professional killers after a customer for getting an early product is such an atrocious and hosed up response that I'm never giving Hasbro another cent and I encourage the rest of you to do the same.

If I wasn't already not buying wotc stuff, this would cause me to.

I really encourage people to switch to MPC or similar services if you can't imagine not playing magic.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Sickening posted:

https://twitter.com/BasicMountain/status/1650569554970693665?s=20
Lol WOTC is blackballing psully from coverage? JFC this company sucks.

Someone was not a fan of Ravenous Chupacabra rant

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

uggy posted:

I know we’ve moved on from land variance chat but I urge the folks who bitch about it to flip a coin a few times so they can learn about probability and variance.

I flipped a coin ten times and got 5 heads and 5 tails, therefore any deviation from averages means that wizards is sabotaging my deck to keep me from winning

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Also wtf why is psully blackballed what the hell did he do

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So beside hearthstone, are there any other good digital card games to replace mtga with?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Also wtf why is psully blackballed what the hell did he do

He probably had an independent thought or dared voice some criticism on camera. I'm sure that would do it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Elblanco posted:

So beside hearthstone, are there any other good digital card games to replace mtga with?

Play BDMs comic book NFT based knockoff lol. I haven't heard much about the dire wold tcg either lately, or runeterra either. There's not much tbh.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Everyone I know likes Rune Terra’s economy but thinks the game is kind of boring.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Play BDMs comic book NFT based knockoff lol. I haven't heard much about the dire wold tcg either lately, or runeterra either. There's not much tbh.

Emergents shut down already, like within a month of going 1.0.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elblanco posted:

I haven't played it in a couple years but Eternal was really good the last time I did

Also Legends of Runeterra is pretty solid

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

precision posted:

Yes and Coca-Cola used to have cocaine in it

You're out of your mind downplaying this lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

He probably had an independent thought or dared voice some criticism on camera. I'm sure that would do it.

I'm sometimes surprised to hear the game knights crew say a card is bad or that they are anything less than super stoked about anything. I kind of imagine the head wizard of coasts just off screen with an oversized checklist of what they can or can't say and a flaming whip in the other for enforcing. But I guess this wizard needs to nap sometimes, and that's when they can share a realpinion.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

MasterBuilder posted:

In other news, new secret lairs and some of the sets slap.

Randy Vargas and Alayna Danner secrets lairs are good. Also LOL at the "last time printed" phrasing on each lair.

I've worked for a few places that broke on-sale dates for books, with dates broken both accidentally and on purpose. If it happens enough times, the publisher fines the distributor and the distributor takes away the company's privilege of getting material before the official sale date. This is a ham-handed decision by the same folks who brought you $250 proxy card packs: they wanted to send a message that they were going to be ruthless and tough against people who broke the on-sale date but everyone who gets product from WotC to review or whatever already knows if they break the rules, they don't get the product anymore. But fining the distributor doesn't send the message they wanted, and their subsequent actions sent a different message, and now we are here. Time to start spamming Greed to their Twitter account again, I guess.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
God drat the bootlickers defending the use of Pinkertons to retrieve Magic: the loving Gathering cards from some nobody is as mind-boggling as the choice to use them in the first place!

This is why we're hosed long term. Pinkertons are as evil as they come but all these losers so desperately need their cardboard treats they'll defend the use of 20th century labor villains against some dweeb. WE CAN NEVER NOT HAVE TREATS, TO NOT HAVE TREATS IS EQUIVALENT TO SLAVERY

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Nega precision

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

mycomancy posted:

God drat the bootlickers defending the use of Pinkertons to retrieve Magic: the loving Gathering cards from some nobody is as mind-boggling as the choice to use them in the first place!

This is why we're hosed long term. Pinkertons are as evil as they come but all these losers so desperately need their cardboard treats they'll defend the use of 20th century labor villains against some dweeb. WE CAN NEVER NOT HAVE TREATS, TO NOT HAVE TREATS IS EQUIVALENT TO SLAVERY

lol there are like two people in this thread who don't think the situation is messed up, calm down.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

maybe wotc sending the shitfucking dicklord scumbag pinkertons after that dude is viral marketing suggesting we actually are going to a cowboy plane after ixalan 2

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the most anyone's defending wotc is saying that it was vanishingly unlikely they were going to let the dude keep his 22 boxes of unreleased mtg cards and that it probably would've been worse if they sent actual cops

mostly i just have a headache at how many articles about this are going 'they hired the pinkertons -- you know, the villains from red dead redemption!'

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

As alternatives go, Shadowverse is releasing its paper game in the US this summer if anime waifu cards aren't a turnoff. It's a similar but not the same ruleset as the online game. No idea if it's good or not.

The online game debuted in North America a few years ago with a really cool, super diverse metagame that had viable decks at all sorts of styles, but because they were making the game primarily for Japanese commuters, they focused more and more on making the game faster and it became big bomby uninteractive garbage.

Presumably the paper game won't have that same kind of design pressure, but I couldn't say if that means they'll go back to the good old days.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What happened to flesh and blood, wasn't that taking off?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ilmucche posted:

like most things framed as mtg replacements it was mostly taking off if you listened to the people invested in you spending money on moving to the game

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ilmucche posted:

The question was regarding card games with digital versions, so Flesh and Blood is out because they don't have a digital version and I believe they've said they'll never do one.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

This was all part of Magic’s 30th anniversary celebration.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

like most things framed as mtg replacements it was mostly taking off if you listened to the people invested in you spending money on moving to the game

Flesh and Blood is decently popular, I think they have RCQ equivalents pretty frequently. It just doesn't have a digital client.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 24, 2023

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The One Piece card game is fun and has a fan-made digital client like Cocatrice. Lots of thinking and interaction.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Crazy rudy mentioned a new game coming out soon, don't know what it is though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I think mostly everyone agrees that WOTC is scum for doing this, but I also think immediately launching into "from now on if you play magic the gathering you support a corporate police state" is a bit much

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Thread needs its own aftermath

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The original digital card game is available: that’s right, solitaire

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Crazy rudy mentioned a new game coming out soon, don't know what it is though.

Lorcana? Rudy seems like he'd advocate for speccing on the Disney card game.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

i like the pinkertons. im going to give them a big wet kiss

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Wotc sending armed goons to hunt down magic cards reads like a dril shitpost

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

i like the pinkertons. im going to give them a big wet kiss

Wow cannot believe you would do this

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Paul Zuvella posted:

Wotc sending armed goons to hunt down magic cards reads like a dril shitpost

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm actually excited for Lorcana with Mickey Mouse and his ability: Animate Broom

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm actually excited for Lorcana with Mickey Mouse and his ability: Animate Broom

https://scryfall.com/card/eld/232/sorcerers-broom

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

http://images.lorcania.com/cards/tfc/51_en_mickey_mouse-716.webp
ANIMATE BROOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Sorcerer's Broom gets pumped by Blood Age General which makes it cooler imo.