Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.
Saw something silver fly by on my walk to work

https://twitter.com/nangngzruk/status/1650256667572060160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Classic sky trash

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

hopefully he's selling alien piss at least. Ideally u have 3 shops, one for alien piss, one for wizard piss, and one for hot girl piss.

Fools. Wizards use their piss for powerful alchemy, sounds like someone's never heard of the piss wizard's laboratory

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

You should always have a slice of bread to wave at them just in case

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

We got a fun new hoax rolling around with allegations of ET info leaks rolled into whatever else that pentagon guy was pushing out.
This is allegedly a picture of some sort of fish creature taken by a probe orbiting Europa

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The ice on Europa is like ten miles thick

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

must be a drat good probe then

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

We got a fun new hoax rolling around with allegations of ET info leaks rolled into whatever else that pentagon guy was pushing out.
This is allegedly a picture of some sort of fish creature taken by a probe orbiting Europa

The whole world loves Freddy Fish, the first specimen of life found outside earth.

*15 minutes later*

We regret to inform you that Freddy Fish is racist against bipeds

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

They need to send something that can drill down and spit out a little submarine, but that's star trek stuff right now and way more money than anyone's going to shoot into space to find alien tube worms

e here's a mission they're sending to scan the whole moon, it leaves next year and arrives 2030.

NASA posted:

NASA's Europa Clipper spacecraft will perform dozens of close flybys of Jupiter’s moon Europa, gathering detailed measurements to investigate whether the moon could have conditions suitable for life. Europa Clipper is not a life detection mission – its main science goal is to determine whether there are places below Europa’s surface that could support life.

The spacecraft, in orbit around Jupiter, will make nearly 50 flybys of Europa at closest-approach altitudes as low as 16 miles (25 kilometers) above the surface, soaring over a different location during each flyby to scan nearly the entire moon.

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 12:35 on Apr 24, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

here's some reddit threads that seem related:
https://www.reddit.com/r/schizoposters/comments/12x1duq/these_keywords_are_blacklisted_on_google/
https://www.reddit.com/r/wendigoon/comments/12w9bmt/there_might_be_life_on_europa/

whatever the source of the image it is spreading quite fast. haven't had one catch on like this in a while

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I remote viewed the Europan ocean and this guy was looking at me. It's legit.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

here's some reddit threads that seem related:
https://www.reddit.com/r/schizoposters/comments/12x1duq/these_keywords_are_blacklisted_on_google/
https://www.reddit.com/r/wendigoon/comments/12w9bmt/there_might_be_life_on_europa/

whatever the source of the image it is spreading quite fast. haven't had one catch on like this in a while

originated, spread and debunked in like 12 hours, that's pretty good

https://www.reddit.com/r/thalassophobia/comments/83c75f/large_fictional_shark_in_deep_dark_ocean_of_moon/

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

aw boo, weird little europan fish
I wanted to believe in you

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

At first I was like "WTF this is absolutely not the same picture? The head looks nothing the same".

Then you see it :wow:

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 13:29 on Apr 24, 2023

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I think there's definitely some kind of life on Europa, maybe even big cool sharks, but we haven't been down there yet

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

theres plenty of life in europe

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

blatman posted:

theres plenty of life in europe

nothing intelligent though

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

my bony fealty posted:

nothing intelligent though

Don't speak ill of the dolphins

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

They need to send something that can drill down and spit out a little submarine, but that's star trek stuff right now and way more money than anyone's going to shoot into space to find alien tube worms

e here's a mission they're sending to scan the whole moon, it leaves next year and arrives 2030.

What is it with NASA being so hesitant to send any real life detection missions or just experiments on the missions they are sending. I don't know any good reason they didn't send it on the last two rovers. Discovering even basic life on Mars would be the best thing to ever happen to their budget. It would capture the world's imagination and demand new missions and an increased budget. Like you said drilling through the ice isn't really possible now but there have been good arguments that a satellite could fly through the geysers shooting into space and sample the water for life. It wouldn't have been hard to include equipment on the Mars rovers for it.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

D-Pad posted:

What is it with NASA being so hesitant to send any real life detection missions or just experiments on the missions they are sending. I don't know any good reason they didn't send it on the last two rovers.

After exhaustive evaluation of the matter and careful consideration of all relevant stakeholders I have come to a conclusion: scientists are pussies!!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tic tac doing some Tony Hawk poo poo
https://twitter.com/WATDOOL/status/1650168508519522315?s=20

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

i, for one, have no doubts about the veracity and integrity of Twitter Blue user Robert Earl White | Order Of Light: New Era Of Contact / We Are The Disclosure https://direct.me/orderoflight

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if there are aliens and they are hanging around, some of these woowoo contact guys can actually be the real deal, and that's pretty cool for them, I am glad for 'em.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

not me i hope they burn in hell for congregating with demons

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

reading some older pages of this thread and it goes places! from Ediacaran animal life to Bible apocrypha... the cool poo poo thread

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I love how this tic tac tries to throw us for a loop and actually abide by newtonian physics for no reason as it slows down before turning right. We all know it can just maneuver like a ping pong!

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

there's some intense orb pondering on reddit concerning the flight of the spheres

I don't know how feasible any of this is but it doesn't look overly technobabbly for speculative bird tech
https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/12xbsu6/can_spheres_fly_insight_from_a_senior_level/

quote:

"After seeing all the recent news about flying orbs and spheres, a few colleagues and I spent time looking at the possibilities of how spheres could fly, or at least levitate.

A sphere is absolutely not an effective aerodynamic shape. At subsonic speeds it creates no lift and generates large amounts of drag as the boundary layer separates from the surface once it reaches the maximum diameter.

And at supersonic speeds it forms a strong bow shock wave and acts as a speed brake. The USSR used a spherical shape for its Vostok 1 reentry vehicle for this reason. So aerodynamics is not the answer."

"A few months ago, a colleague proposed a hypothesis that a sphere that was built with exotic superconducting materials (some of these include bismuth in case that sounds familiar) could fly using quantum magnetic levitation, also known as the Meissner effect. When these materials are cooled to or below their critical temperature, they expel magnetic fields. This effect would apply to the Earth’s magnetic field, therefore, by switching sections of the sphere surface ‘on’ to expel the magnetic field and ‘off’ to stop the effect, one could make a sphere levitate and even move in any direction.

The round shape is the perfect shape to achieve such movement, depending on the granularity of the superconductor sections.

We initially dismissed this hypothesis because the Earth’s magnetic field is weak and a 5-10 foot diameter sphere would have no way of generating the needed power.

But our thinking has evolved and we now think this is a viable solution when coupled with another emerging technology, power beaming.

Let’s discuss the Meissner effect and how it would work first. Assuming the sphere can generate enough cooling power, or that the Earth’s magnetic field can be amplified, a sphere built out of exotic superconducting materials could levitate, stay aloft in winds, and even move in any direction. This could be accomplished by placing the superconducting plates in a grid-like fashion. The plates would be independent of each other and could be turned ‘on’ and tuned to expel the magnetic field or turned ‘off’ to not expel by an algorithm, depending on what maneuver it was trying to accomplish.

To levitate, the sphere would turn ‘off’ or lower the power of the plates on the top half and turn ‘on’ and adjust the power of the plates on the bottom half to expel the magnetic field. Too much power and the sphere shoots upward or too little and it falls to the ground.

The same applies to staying aloft in high winds. Plates over the surface would power up to expel the magnetic field and push against the wind. Multi-axis movement can also be achieved in this manner by increasing power to some of the plates and lowering or switching off others. With increasing grid granularity, which results in smaller and smaller plates, the maneuvering capability becomes increasingly sharper.

This technology could stop, hover, and accelerate in a different direction, mimicking some of the descriptions of UAP."
power beaming might not even be necessary if the others can easily produce antimatter or use some unknown physics to bypass the apparently massive energy requirements uap performance would require

Tekne has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Apr 24, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

that's a pretty reasonable human-tech possibility. you'd just need to have room-temp superconductivity which isn't outlawed or anything

probably the best guess that involves something we can currently understand

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

As ever I'd just like to put out into the universe that if we have benevolent watchers that would like to overthrow the system, Monday morning is a welcome time to do so

Looking at you, zeta reitculans

One step closer

I was watching a "documentary" on tubi called Secret Space UFOs covering the early NASA missions and showing quite a few photos taken by the astronauts of sky trash (and I know a lot of it was probably ice chunks, etc) but some of them looked an awful lot like our friend the metallic silver sphere.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it's been going on for so long I'm sure everyone involved in the game constantly forgets and has switched which side of the con they're on

do astronauts know, do the government officials, does anyone
or has poo poo just been dropping from the sky and who the gently caress knows, maybe the earth just makes hollow metallic spheres in the air sometime

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mdemone posted:

that's a pretty reasonable human-tech possibility. you'd just need to have room-temp superconductivity which isn't outlawed or anything

probably the best guess that involves something we can currently understand

Still ignores lack of sonic booms and poo poo like that

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/mtrlgrrrl/status/1650584366249025538

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

well I stopped having sex regularly so yeah

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Tekne posted:

there's some intense orb pondering on reddit concerning the flight of the spheres

I don't know how feasible any of this is but it doesn't look overly technobabbly for speculative bird tech
https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/12xbsu6/can_spheres_fly_insight_from_a_senior_level/

power beaming might not even be necessary if the others can easily produce antimatter or use some unknown physics to bypass the apparently massive energy requirements uap performance would require

This is some interesting orb pondering. I do not know enough about magnetic levitation to calculate the exact numbers but I would guesstimate that a magnetic field strong enough to levitate a craft big enough to carry 5-10 little green men at an altitude of 30,000 ft would feel like standing in 5000 MRI machines if you got anywhere near it.

e.

it's been going on for so long I'm sure everyone involved in the game constantly forgets and has switched which side of the con they're on

do astronauts know, do the government officials, does anyone
or has poo poo just been dropping from the sky and who the gently caress knows, maybe the earth just makes hollow metallic spheres in the air sometime

Humans have been making them since at least 1960: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Echo

Butternubs has issued a correction as of 21:08 on Apr 24, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Still ignores lack of sonic booms and poo poo like that

well yeah. that's a toughie

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Butternubs posted:

This is some interesting orb pondering. I do not know enough about magnetic levitation to calculate the exact numbers but I would guesstimate that a magnetic field strong enough to levitate a craft big enough to carry 5-10 little green men at an altitude of 30,000 ft would feel like standing in 5000 MRI machines if you got anywhere near it.

Meissner effect does not require a large field strength, hence the usage of Earth's magnetic fields in the hypothesis. All fields will be expelled leading to the acceleration of the superconductor.

edit: it's not magnetic levitation in the way you're thinking, where two like poles will oppose each other strongly enough to levitate small objects. it's the expulsion of the magnetic field out of the bulk volume of the superconducting material. I do it as a classroom trick.

mdemone has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Apr 24, 2023

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

coconono posted:

well I stopped having sex regularly so yeah

Congratulations on your nuptials!

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Tekne posted:

I saw that post. While the Meissner effect is real and can be used to levitate stuff, I'm skeptical that you could levitate off the Earth's magnetic field. Like they say, it's far too weak: a few hundred Gauss, compared to the few thousand of a fridge magnet. This suggests your levitation sphere at best could hold one or two post cards without falling down. The authors are aware of this, and vaguely suggest that the craft could "amplify" the local magnetic field.

If it's the craft doing the amplification, then this sounds like the craft is amplifying the field and pushing off of the amplified field: basically, the craft pushing off of itself. Without some other intervention I don't see how you could make that work.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Psychic thoughtforms

E: it's a valiant effort to salvage the nuts and bolts explanation but realistically I think we're well past that being on the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Metanuts & hyperbolts