Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

null_pointer posted:

Someone have a recipe for Vietnamese (i.e. banh mi) baguette? Hopefully a balance between Authentic and Quick.

Joshua weissman has a good video, he scratch makes all the bread in his videos:
https://youtu.be/2tQnBphNFlU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Made a loaf today:

350g whole wheat flour, 150g bread flour
400g warm water
1.5tsp each salt, yeast
mix, let rest 30min
knead 5min, adding probably 5-10tbsp of vegetable oil in the process because the dough keeps getting really tacky on me
let rise 60min
deflate loaf, shape, put on parchment paper, rest 20min
oven at 400F, with Dutch oven inside
slash, put in Dutch oven, put in oven
bake 30min, remove lid, bake 10min

Flavor's good, it's not crumbly, crust is good. I wouldn't mind it being slightly taller and less dense, but this is totally usable.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

what oven temperature do you bake at? browning a loaf of bread is like browning any other food, you need a high temperature for it

475 for 10-15 mins then 425. I pretty much ruled temperature out as I’ve had the odd loaf come out perfectly at these settings. Even in a loaf pan the sides and bottom in the have zero issue browning nicely, just the top is noticeably pale.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I just had a minor discovery.

Probably some combination of my oven and the fact that I always bake two loaves side by side, but the sides of my loaves crust/brown later than the tops. I’ve found that placing the scoring a bit further down the side gives me perfect ears 95%+ of the time. Visually it looks a biiit worse but I’ll take it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I got into a mood the other day, and made Baguettes, Bagels, Bao and Conchas.

I've never made any of these things before and did not entirely understand the baguette recipe. Here is my result:

10/10 probably the best baguettes I've ever eaten, but I don't have anything great to compare them to.

One of the bao is in the background, 6/10, bread was great, filling came out bland.

Bagels were great, went stale very fast though. Topping was sesame seeds and gochugaru.

Conchas were cute, although they went straight into the freezer, so only these two have been cooked. 10/10 from the tiny bite I had, because diabetes doesn't let you have fun things.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Griddle of Love posted:

A lot of that stuff is more regional than you'd think. Knowing which state they're from would help pinning those rolls down a lot.

Well, if that matters, then it was in North Rhine-Westphalia

As an Empath...
Aug 19, 2022

First time trying this recipe; didn't quite nail the swirl but it tastes great. I soaked the raisins in a combo of vanilla and almond extract.

Recipe link: Sourdough Cinnamon Raisin Bread.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
My dad gave me this 10L (10.6 Quarts?) stand mixer, fucker weighs like 50kg+ (100+ pounds?) and I need to find a nice stand for it

Any tips on what kind of small table / stand would hold that kind of weight without also tipping over during operation? Any suggestions for what I should do with like 4kg of dough?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Grim posted:

My dad gave me this 10L (10.6 Quarts?) stand mixer, fucker weighs like 50kg+ (100+ pounds?) and I need to find a nice stand for it

Any tips on what kind of small table / stand would hold that kind of weight without also tipping over during operation? Any suggestions for what I should do with like 4kg of dough?

I see this kind of unit in commercial kitchens a lot. I usually see it on a stainless steel table or cart that looks like it is from the 1960s. A well built solid wood table is another common one.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Get yourself a John Boos worktable.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/jo...650JNS1836.html

My stand mixer is only 6QT, but that table is really solid.

Your cottage baker destiny awaits.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

effika posted:

I see this kind of unit in commercial kitchens a lot. I usually see it on a stainless steel table or cart that looks like it is from the 1960s.

Yeah, that's what my last two places used

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Grim posted:

I have a 20 quart Hobart that was fine on a kitchen countertop, although getting it there in the first place was a real adventure. If it's hobbling around on something like that, then the feet are uneven and you just use furniture feet from the hardware store. Mine could knead on #2 (one revolution per second) without drifting anywhere.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
When I'm kneading my dough, it gets progressively more sticky over time. I assume this is the gluten developing? The problem is that eventually it gets too sticky to work. What's the appropriate way to handle this? I've been adding vegetable oil, which works in terms of making the dough easier to handle, but I don't know how that affects the final product.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Nice video on slap-and-fold. I fast-forwarded to where they really start to get into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWN9mxR_iXI&t=545s

He goes into all kinds of stuff: what to do with your hole body, the kind of contact to make, what exactly to do with your hands, ways of screwing up and how to recover. Something I thought was particularly profound is that there's a distinct top and bottom while you're kneading really wet doughs and you don't want them to mix.

This video is pretty good. You shouldn't need to add anything and it should get less sticky as you work with it, you might just not be attacking it for long enough?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nettle Soup posted:

This video is pretty good. You shouldn't need to add anything and it should get less sticky as you work with it, you might just not be attacking it for long enough?

That's a very helpful video, because my kneading technique is completely different. I've been keeping the dough contained in a bowl, since it makes cleanup easier (my countertop has a lot of stuff on it that gets stored there permanently)...and my kneading has been "squish dough, pick up, fold in half, rotate 90 degrees". From what I understand of the video, they're basically not kneading the parts of the dough that the hands directly contact, and their motions are fast and smooth, and that's why they don't have problems with stickiness. Does that sound about right?

I don't think that's something I could adapt to kneading inside of a bowl, but maybe there's something I can do with my workplace to make it easier to work in.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's a very helpful video, because my kneading technique is completely different. I've been keeping the dough contained in a bowl, since it makes cleanup easier (my countertop has a lot of stuff on it that gets stored there permanently)...and my kneading has been "squish dough, pick up, fold in half, rotate 90 degrees". From what I understand of the video, they're basically not kneading the parts of the dough that the hands directly contact, and their motions are fast and smooth, and that's why they don't have problems with stickiness. Does that sound about right?

I don't think that's something I could adapt to kneading inside of a bowl, but maybe there's something I can do with my workplace to make it easier to work in.

Knead on the countertop if you can, you want to be pressing down and pushing on a flat surface if possible. And usually since you have to flour the work surface, that flour will help to make it less sticky as you go.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I’ve had pretty good results with kneading in the mixing bowl by grabbing some dough from the bottom, stretching it up and over to the center and repeating around the whole mass of dough.

Also I wonder if your dough becoming stickier is a temperature thing as your hands warm it up. Maybe incorporate more rest time during kneading. If you aren’t on a time crunch it’s really amazing how much just leaving the dough alone for 10 minutes will cause gluten development. I do this a few times between stretching my dough in the bowl and it’s noticeably changed each time I come back to it.

Also your flour could be a factor. I have tried using some flour past it’s prime before and the result was the dough never developed past the sticky stage even with a ridiculous amount of electric mixing. Or if it’s not a freshness issue, switching to a higher gluten bread flour could make it easier to work with.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
All good points, thanks! Especially the flour: the whole-wheat flour is new, but it's being combined with some fairly elderly bread flour that may well be past its prime.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
"Pale breadman" and "elderly bread flour".

This thread that keeps on giving.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Outside of ergot developing, does flour expire? Mine never gets the chance.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Yeah flour can expire, I’ve never kept any that long but apparently it can go sour if you leave it laying around forever.

Long shot but, does anyone know what the protein percentage for HEB bakers scoop bread flour is? They don’t put it on the package and the only thing online I can find says it’s 10% just like their AP flour.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Wholewheat with bran is supposedly good for a year in a well sealed tub and basically forever in the freezer.

I should do something with all the 00 flour I bought when covid "ended" and the supermarkets were dumping it...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Squishy posted:

Outside of ergot developing, does flour expire? Mine never gets the chance.

Yes, I’ve absolutely had flour go bitter. Wholemeal goes first as it has more oil in the bran, which goes rancid.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I find that I have much more trouble with gluten formation with King Arthur bread flour that's past it's expiration date. It wants much more water and doesn't ever get 'right'. I'm usually making bagels, and I think the already low hydration dough makes that much more obvious.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Whole wheat definitely goes rancid in like 6 months if it’s not temperature controlled. It always goes bad right when you’re like “I can probably get one more use out of it, right?” and you open it up and it smells awful.

Flours of all kinds, and grains more broadly, can also play host to pests. Keeping it in a truly airtight container might stop pests from getting in, but it won’t stop the development of eggs that are already present. Pantry moths are a scourge, but there are a bunch of unpleasant options, including whatever thriving ecosystem was in a McCann’s oatmeal tin I opened in 2008 that’s prevented me from ever getting it again.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Anne Whateley posted:

Whole wheat definitely goes rancid in like 6 months if it’s not temperature controlled. It always goes bad right when you’re like “I can probably get one more use out of it, right?” and you open it up and it smells awful.

Flours of all kinds, and grains more broadly, can also play host to pests. Keeping it in a truly airtight container might stop pests from getting in, but it won’t stop the development of eggs that are already present. Pantry moths are a scourge, but there are a bunch of unpleasant options, including whatever thriving ecosystem was in a McCann’s oatmeal tin I opened in 2008 that’s prevented me from ever getting it again.

Please spoiler tag this. I prefer to live my life in an ignorant bliss tyvm.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Splinter posted:

Please spoiler tag this. I prefer to live my life in an ignorant bliss tyvm.

As a commercial baker, be glad bread is heated to the boiling point internally for an extended time.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I keep mine in plastic bait tubs:

They seal well and are extremely reuseable. I keep the whole-bran stuff in ones half the size and don't open a new one til I need it.

I had flour beetles or something similar once, and I'm not dealing with that again.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

I keep mine in plastic bait tubs:

They seal well and are extremely reuseable. I keep the whole-bran stuff in ones half the size and don't open a new one til I need it.

I had flour beetles or something similar once, and I'm not dealing with that again.

We had pantry moths. They got everywhere. Now all grains, pulses, flours etc go into sealed containers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

therattle posted:

We had pantry moths. They got everywhere.

:same:

The bakery only set out traps

It did not help.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mister Facetious posted:

:same:

The bakery only set out traps

It did not help.

I have resigned myself to the fact that some goods will simply have pantry moths, and all I can do is stop them spreading. It was so gross when we had an infestation.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

As a commercial baker, I am glad bread is heated to the boiling point internally for an extended time.

Delicious, free protein supplements. :shepface:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Would anyone happen to have a no knead hearty whole wheat/seed bread recipe if such a thing exists? The only bread I’ve ever baked is the New York Times no knead recipe in a dutch oven because I’m basic, although I’ve gotten pretty good at it. I’m wondering if I can use these skills to make a bread that’s a crossover of the NYT recipe and store bought Ezekiel 4:9 brand bread.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

kreeningsons posted:

Would anyone happen to have a no knead hearty whole wheat/seed bread recipe if such a thing exists? The only bread I’ve ever baked is the New York Times no knead recipe in a dutch oven because I’m basic, although I’ve gotten pretty good at it. I’m wondering if I can use these skills to make a bread that’s a crossover of the NYT recipe and store bought Ezekiel 4:9 brand bread.

You absolutely can. No knead is pretty forgiving and versatile. Just use a high % of wholemeal, toss in some seeds, and maybe some molasses or honey, and a spoon of oil. Remember that wholemeal needs higher hydration.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

kreeningsons posted:

Sally's Baking Addiction has a good one.

You can convert any recipe into no-knead, though it may take a few tries to dial it in. As a rough guide: Up the hydration (start with 70%). Slash the yeast and leave it out 8-12hrs, or keep the yeast the same but put it in the fridge after 4 hours or so to rest overnight.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://www.nelstrop.co.uk/pages/multiseed-flake-dinner-rolls

I've been making these lately, with their flake and seed flour. Still getting the recipe down, the first ones I put too little water in and the second batch I overproved, but drat this stuff is good. Expensive, but good.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

I make this recipe about once a week... it IS very good.

One thing that she doesn't mention in the recipe is that you have to soak the topping before you bake it or it will burn. That being said, I stopped bothering with the topping and prefer the bread without it (no seeds to fall off).

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

ty bread thread. I will try the Sally’s recipe and branch out from there!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

New bread. Did a 24 hr cold proof on this and got great blistering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I feel like my sourdough should taste a little saltier, but my recipe is already close to 2%, and I read that going higher can hinder fermentation and other bad stuff. Any way around this other than to maybe sprinkle a little sea salt over the bread when baking?