Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Gleeokenspiel will finally be in a main game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

(Thunder Gleeok would be terrifying lol)
*furiously scrolling down to the Reply button*

Mister Facetious posted:

King Ghidorah lives
God dammit

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fifty Three posted:

*furiously scrolling down to the Reply button*

God dammit

I actually made the reference 11 days ago, too (on the Switch discord).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 24, 2023

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I picked a bad year to start grad school: RE4 earlier this month, Jedi Survivor this week, Zelda in 3 weeks, Diablo4 in June, that Telltale Expanse game, Starfield in fall, Alan Wake 2, AC: Mirage, Spider-Man 2, and a ton of others I'm not thinking of right now.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Previews are going up on Wednesday(26th) apparently

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

funkymonks posted:

Absolutely not. One of the best things about Elden Ring was that you couldn't just handwave away the terrain.

Nothing about climbing and gliding negate that aspect. Not every implantation would need to turn the character into spiderman and lmao if you don't think the eldenring team couldn't make an incredible world with verticality.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Some of the older amiibo are up at retail prices at various sites. All of them were available as of the moment I'm posting this.
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1650556333954076674

Senrab
May 10, 2012
Welp, got myself an OoT one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If I feel the Amiibo bonuses are worth it I’ll probably just order a bunch of Amiibo cards off Ebay

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Senrab posted:

Welp, got myself an OoT one.

Same.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I feel slightly owned for having paid aftermarket prices for these earlier in the year knowing this might happen but it was nice to play BOTW as the Hero of Time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RatHat posted:

If I feel the Amiibo bonuses are worth it I’ll probably just order a bunch of Amiibo cards off Ebay

I gave mine away since I didn't think I'd need them anymore and apparently the easy way to make new ones is gone

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Still kinda shocked that Skull Kid hasn't been made into an amiibo yet, or a bigger amiibo Dark Beast Ganon hasn't been produced. I would love the TP version if they made one.

edit: gently caress it, grabbed the Majora's Mask Link amiibo and a Bowser since I don't know what else to use this BB gift card on.

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 24, 2023

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I already have almost all of the Zelda Amiibo, but I also just ordered a Flipper Zero and I think I should be able to emulate them all and not take them out of the box booyah

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Elden Ring is garbage, BOTW is game of the century.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Last Celebration posted:

So are there any guidelines for cooking good buff items? Cooking +attack food is pretty simple but a potion for a longer effect on that and other stuff would be nice. Is there a specific ideal ratio of critter to monster parts? Should I save the miniboss ones for special circumstances?

Also, will I reasonably find the dragons doing their thing just by exploring? Found Farosh but I wanna upgrade my tunic because it’s good fashion and lets you see HP.

there's actually a really good guide for this on gamefaqs, believe it or not. ASCII art and all.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/switch/189707-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/faqs/74776

SyRauk posted:

Still kinda shocked that Skull Kid hasn't been made into an amiibo yet, or a bigger amiibo Dark Beast Ganon hasn't been produced. I would love the TP version if they made one.

It's a bitch in hyrule warriors /definitive where a fairly small number of characters have amiibos that are guaranteed to drop weapons for them specifically.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 24, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cartoon Man posted:

Elden Ring is garbage, BOTW is game of the century.

they both own actually

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
BOTW I played twice and Elden Ring I bounced so hard off of that I forget that I ever played it most of the time.

Point: Zelda.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So me and the kiddo are playing Skyward Sword HD and just did the first like dark realm or whatever it’s called thing where you collect the tears, and somehow when I played this game when it first came out it never occurred to me that those sections are basically Pac-Man.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Augus posted:

they both own actually

No, a choice must be made. Having not played elden ring I must declare it is bad actually and botw is goty all years

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elden Ring is good, but I don't think it's quite BotW-level. It's basically just "dark souls, but with a neat looking open world."

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Mahoning posted:

So me and the kiddo are playing Skyward Sword HD and just did the first like dark realm or whatever it’s called thing where you collect the tears, and somehow when I played this game when it first came out it never occurred to me that those sections are basically Pac-Man.

That's true. And there was even an earlier instance in the series where they used the same idea, the short Dark Realm section in Spirit Tracks. And there the Pac-Man influence is actually much more obvious, because you're moving within a similar maze as in Pac-Man and you have interconnected teleports that make the playing area wrap around similarly as in Pac-Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCuWDreAOc&t=85s
(jump to 1:25)

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 24, 2023

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

There are things that Elden Ring does much, much better than BotW. Enemy variety, combat, boss design, weapon variety, the sense that wherever you go you'll discover something new instead of another bokoblin camp and a shrine.

BotW has the better traversal and open world (ultimately, ER isn't that open. The world is a labyrinth like every other FromSoft game, it's just a much bigger labyrinth).

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

For my NYC goons, the Nintendo store is doing a midnight launch. Reservations required.

https://twitter.com/NintendoNYC/status/1649522088250621953?s=20

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Elden Ring is good, but I don't think it's quite BotW-level. It's basically just "dark souls, but with a neat looking open world."

"Basically just one of the most inspiring games of all time, but with the thing it always had."

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

lol Elden Ring might legit be my favorite game of all time. It and BotW are neck and neck for the top spot and honestly I just consider them my two favorites. There is plenty to compare and contrast between the two, and I don't think Elden Ring would exist as is without BotW. They're just two extremely good games that I enjoy immensely, and I'm very happy we have both.

Here's hoping Tears of the Kingdom trumps them all though!

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Khanstant posted:

"Basically just one of the most inspiring games of all time, but with the thing it always had."

Maybe you mean influential here instead of inspiring? Unless you just love stories about furtive little guys winning it all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I mean inspiring as in it inspired a bajillion games that want to be like it in one form or the other. I'd wager there are more attempts to make a souls clone than a 3d Zelda clone, but it's kind of a moot contest because the amount of wannabes really worth exploring is close to zero for both.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I mean, the Souls games are basically grimdark Zelda with combat emphasis and a more obtuse story

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

idk have you seen them try to connect the whole zelda timeline? like wow, gimme 3 hour vaati videos over that

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zelda and Souls having lore that doesn't matter except to get people to make 3 hour videos about them is probably the thing most similar about them.

Aside from that they're pretty different though imo

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Counterpoint you can eat eyeballs in both of them

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Zelda and Souls also have the thing in common where they're my two favorite video game series.

But seriously, no one has successfully made a Zelda clone. Or a Souls clone. It can't be done.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha remember that actual grimdark Zelda that looked like a late 90s Image comic book? I will give it credit for sometimes having very Zelday moments and even a few dungeons experiences but the whole tone and aesthetic was just such a whiff I couldn't finish it. Guns and Hot Topic don't make a great Zelda.
.edit: Darksiders, forget which one

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its time for Link to say 'gently caress'

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

There are things that Elden Ring does much, much better than BotW. Enemy variety, combat, boss design, weapon variety, the sense that wherever you go you'll discover something new instead of another bokoblin camp and a shrine.

BotW has the better traversal and open world (ultimately, ER isn't that open. The world is a labyrinth like every other FromSoft game, it's just a much bigger labyrinth).

While enemy variety is better then BoTW, I can't help but point out how the Haligtree, the end game super dungeon, is made up of 99% enemies you fought already. Including the minibosses, high end guards, and even the same zombie soldiers that you have been fighting since literally the start of the game, that even fight the exact same way (only now they blow up when you kill them)(and also heavily resist Holy because gently caress YOU if you dared make a FTH build in that game)

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I never played Darksiders because the aesthetic physically repulsed me. My brain can't even really see it because that kind of art just creates too much cognitive dissonance to look at.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

The difference between BotW and Elden Ring? I hotly anticipated BotW, which was amazing; and I was skeptical of Elden Ring which turned out to also be amazing.

I wonder why they didn't rerun the Skyward Sword Link Amiibo alongside OoT, MM, and TP. I guess because it's less popular? I don't remember them running it alongside Zelda/Loftwing for the HD release, either. I am further justified in buying SS Link through a Japanese seller...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

While enemy variety is better then BoTW, I can't help but point out how the Haligtree, the end game super dungeon, is made up of 99% enemies you fought already. Including the minibosses, high end guards, and even the same zombie soldiers that you have been fighting since literally the start of the game, that even fight the exact same way (only now they blow up when you kill them)(and also heavily resist Holy because gently caress YOU if you dared make a FTH build in that game)

Your game either ends at <20 hours or it lives on long enough to see slightly reskinned enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah but my two most impressive video game achievements of all time are beating Malenia and finishing Zelda 2.