Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Elden Ring had hand spiders and cool ants, bugs are fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Upsidads posted:

What if Link was frenching a living talking ocarina like skeeters muppet head?

I’m sorry?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

What if Link was frenching a living talking ocarina like skeeters muppet head?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Well, I assume he would have a good reason.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

That dang muppet with glasses the nerd one who does the math and work
We're all thinking bout him

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sounds like grover

That's so grover

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Upsidads posted:

That dang muppet with glasses the nerd one who does the math and work
We're all thinking bout him

Skeeter doesn't do poo poo but ride on his uncle owning the theater!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

They named a muppet Scooter?
I guess that will work

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

MokBa posted:

I’m using PTO and I am going to be setting an alarm to start playing it the moment I can. Three straight days of nothing but Zelda and coffee while I take several years off my life.

I’m going to be standing outside my neighborhood Best Buy fifteen minutes before they open to pick up my copy as early as I can, then walking home and spending all day/weekend on the couch justifying four years of anticipation

It’ll be the first Zelda I play on launch day ever (even AoC I had to wait till a couple days after) and I am loving hype

Is this what being an adult is??? 12yo me would be green with envy

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

12-year-old you should be the same age as you now

I need Z day to come faster

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

SyRauk posted:

God drat, we're really 3 weeks out from a new Zelda game? I have so much PTO saved up I'm definitely going to take that Friday and Monday off.

My uncle's just written to remind me that we're meant to drive up to stay the weekend with them from the 12th - 15th 😭

And then the next weekend I have a friend coming to stay I haven't seen in 10 years

But the weekend of the 27th...oh baby!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Caidin posted:

Haha, I did not do well with the last bit of Bloodborne, at all.
I literally couldn't get past the halfway point in bloodborne until i could rewire my brain to perceive rom's children as just "weird crabs" instead of "spiders". Which sounds like an incredibly loving stupid way to defeat a phobia, but the thing about phobias is that they're irrational, so moon logic is to your benefit. There's water, therefore they are crabs, therefore they are not scary.

likewise, the room in the nightmare of mensis is AWFUL and horrifying, but thankfully you can literally just run without stopping and they won't chase you, so that's what i do every time, lol.
I'm never doing the chalice dungeons again though

edit:

MokBa posted:

I’m using PTO and I am going to be setting an alarm to start playing it the moment I can. Three straight days of nothing but Zelda and coffee while I take several years off my life.
i was extremely excited to play zelda on launch day again but then i realized that the 12th is the friday before mother's day weekend and i work retail. :negative:

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 24, 2023

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I miss that feeling when botw was still pretty new and I put in a ton of hours into the game and think I saw everything. But someone posts a new 5 second video showing off something I've never seen/done before, and I'm like "holy poo poo this loving game!" and pick it back up to put in more time. And this happens repeatedly.

Like elden ring had extremely good spectacle, exploration, and sense of mystery/awe but it never came close to that feeling I'm trying to describe with botw.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Elden Ring really needed climbing and a glider. But so does pretty much every 3rd person adventure game.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Khanstant posted:

Elden Ring really needed climbing and a glider. But so does pretty much every 3rd person adventure game.

If Elden Ring had climbing and gliding then guarantee any and all ranged enemies would lead shots perfectly. See also: crawfish nailing you from 1000 yards.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Are there any good videos or something that explains the tech behind BotW? Like for instance when you're way up high and it feels like you can see most of the map. I know it's not really rendering everything and you do see pop-in sometimes as you get closer to things, but overall it does a pretty good job of seeming like everything you can see from your vantage point is rendered and not some visual trick. But I'm assuming there are tons of visual tricks used that are integrated seamlessly. Like how there are times when a big mountain or location like Hyrule castle appears in the distance but seems a lot closer than it actually is or bigger than it should be at that distance.

e: especially considering it's doing all this on a Switch, and you don't experience framerate drops from up high, though you do in the more object-filled villages and such.

Not really about the distance stuff you're asking about but this is a pretty good video about BotW's visuals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By7qcgaqGI4

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So are there any guidelines for cooking good buff items? Cooking +attack food is pretty simple but a potion for a longer effect on that and other stuff would be nice. Is there a specific ideal ratio of critter to monster parts? Should I save the miniboss ones for special circumstances?

Also, will I reasonably find the dragons doing their thing just by exploring? Found Farosh but I wanna upgrade my tunic because it’s good fashion and lets you see HP.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, just run around enough and you’ll see all three of them eventually. Farosh is probably the one most people see first.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There's one where you do need to climb a specific mountain (north of Hateno) before it'll start wandering around.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kassad posted:

There's one where you do need to climb a specific mountain (north of Hateno) before it'll start wandering around.

I had either forgotten this or just never realized it in the first place.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Blaziken386 posted:

i was extremely excited to play zelda on launch day again but then i realized that the 12th is the friday before mother's day weekend and i work retail. :negative:

the customers are going to be so mad that you're playing Zelda on the job but what are you gonna do, NOT play it?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Last Celebration posted:

So are there any guidelines for cooking good buff items? Cooking +attack food is pretty simple but a potion for a longer effect on that and other stuff would be nice. Is there a specific ideal ratio of critter to monster parts? Should I save the miniboss ones for special circumstances?

if you want to get super-detailed about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/63c915/cooking_in_breath_of_the_wild_getting_the_most/

tl;dr:
-Monster Guts, Tails, and Keese Eyeballs are the most useful monster ingredients for cooking, don't waste your rare miniboss parts
-Adding a dragon horn to anything maxes the meal timer at 30 minutes
-Cooking in the half hour before a blood moon will boost your meals
-As a general rule, potions tend to be less good for potency but better for the length of the effect because of how much time monster parts can add to your dish. You can't make a Level 2 Attack Up potion since that would require 5 bladed rhino beetles + a monster part, but you can use 1 bladed rhino beetle + 4 monster guts to make a Level 1 attack potion that will last ~13 minutes

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That sounds delicious.

Lord I'm pumped for new Zelda. Bringeth it on.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

hatty posted:

Elden Ring had hand spiders and cool ants, bugs are fun

Cannot disagree strongly enough re: hand spiders in regards to "fun"

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

Absolutely not. One of the best things about Elden Ring was that you couldn't just handwave away the terrain.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Amppelix posted:

Crossovers are good when i like the property and bad when i dislike the property

This guy gets it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Augus posted:

if you want to get super-detailed about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/63c915/cooking_in_breath_of_the_wild_getting_the_most/

tl;dr:
-Monster Guts, Tails, and Keese Eyeballs are the most useful monster ingredients for cooking, don't waste your rare miniboss parts
-Adding a dragon horn to anything maxes the meal timer at 30 minutes
-Cooking in the half hour before a blood moon will boost your meals
-As a general rule, potions tend to be less good for potency but better for the length of the effect because of how much time monster parts can add to your dish. You can't make a Level 2 Attack Up potion since that would require 5 bladed rhino beetles + a monster part, but you can use 1 bladed rhino beetle + 4 monster guts to make a Level 1 attack potion that will last ~13 minutes

Thanks! Kinda weird there isn’t an ingame NPC to explain the monster parts hierarchy, given how much they do explain. Or I just missed them…

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I believe you can also add food into your potions. So 3 bananas, horned beetle, keese eyeball, which would make a better potion. I'm not 100% because I'm not at home (and the Wild Cooking app isn't letting me confirm it), but I think I did that a week or two ago.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mastajake posted:

I believe you can also add food into your potions. So 3 bananas, horned beetle, keese eyeball, which would make a better potion. I'm not 100% because I'm not at home (and the Wild Cooking app isn't letting me confirm it), but I think I did that a week or two ago.

oh yeah wow I think you're right. I always just assumed any combination that has both food and critters/monster parts would result in dubious food but apparently the important part is that if you use a critter you also need to have a monster part.

In that case 2x Mighty Carp + Rhino Beetle + 2x Keese Eyeball would give you Level 3 attack boost for ~9 minutes

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 24, 2023

Senrab
May 10, 2012
I wasn't going to do a BotW replay, but after seeing some 4k 60fps footage I just had to give it a shot on PC.

Holy hell what an improvement. Feels like a whole new game. I debated the Second Wind mod but as it stands I think I'm going to stick to a vanilla experience. There's no way I'll make a significant enough dent in the game before Tears comes out so I might as well keep it simple.

It's going to be hard going back to the switch after playing like this, but I am about as excited for TotK as I was for Elden Ring at this point. Just completely bought into the hype.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm doing a lazy play through right now where I don't redeem any spirit orbs but just do the main quest (getting towers as I need/want them and shrines that seem fun)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUcBlvw0LSk

... hey random commercial, what you mean flame Gleeok

Are there OTHER Gleeoks? That one we saw already was kind of enormous.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I started up a new game on PC as well. Linkle mod is super cute and well done. 4k60 is awesome but the real star is super fast shrine/overworld loading. Hope they somehow manage to improve load times.

I’d be really curious to know what they were able to do technically with ToTK that they couldn’t do for BotW due to BotW being a WiiU game.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
After I bounced off of Second Wind due to the shrine quality I decided to resume my 10th-or-so playthrough on my Switch. I just got the Master Sword and respecced to maximize my stamina. Now I'm going to attempt the trial of the sword with only 3 base hearts.

For like... the third time. Hearty food and 30 minute defense meals go a long way.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thinkin' bout that Malice goop on Akkala tower and random places

If link poked it with the master sword would it erase it? Just kinda hoover it up with a dip
Is that why it's hosed up in TotK

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Thinkin' bout that Malice goop on Akkala tower and random places

If link poked it with the master sword would it erase it? Just kinda hoover it up with a dip
Is that why it's hosed up in TotK

Get Gust Jar
Staple Gust Jar to Master Sword with Fuse
???
PROFIT

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Supremezero posted:

Get Gust Jar
Staple Gust Jar to Master Sword with Fuse
???
PROFIT

Flobbleobbleobble noise and Malice sprays over everything in range.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Supremezero posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUcBlvw0LSk

... hey random commercial, what you mean flame Gleeok

Are there OTHER Gleeoks? That one we saw already was kind of enormous.

Water Gleeok, Ice Gleeok, Thunder Gleeok…the possibilities are endless!

(Thunder Gleeok would be terrifying lol)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Gleeok fused to a second Gleeok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Maroon Hawk posted:

(Thunder Gleeok would be terrifying lol)

King Ghidorah lives