Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/1650327207233945602

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gavok posted:

The timeline went like this:

- June 11: Raw ends with Vince's limo exploding. The show is a Draft episode and involves Benoit (of SmackDown) losing to ECW Champion Bobby Lashley, which immediately leads to Benoit getting drafted to ECW. In that episode, Lashley gets drafted to Raw and has to vacate the ECW title.

- June 15: Sherri Martel dies of a drug overdose at 49.

- June 18: Raw involves Stephanie coming to the ring to do a heartfelt eulogy of her father, which is heavily booed. There is criticism for the storyline in light of Sherri's death days earlier and the whole thing just felt like it was in bad taste.

- June 19: Benoit has his last match, beating Elijah Burke in the semifinals of an ECW title tournament. Show ends with a face-to-face with CM Punk, hyping their big PPV title match.

- June 22-24: The Benoit horrors happen. He was supposed to compete at Vengeance, but they instead claim that he had a family emergency and replace him with Johnny Nitro.

- June 25: Vince announces on Raw that the Benoit family was found dead, so he canceled the storyline and sent all the fans home. Raw then becomes increasingly awkward for the next three hours.

- June 26: Vince starts ECW with an apology for the previous night.

He was set to win the belt against Punk as well wasn't he? I've often wondered what would have happened had he turned up to Vengeance after he'd murdered his family, did the match and won the title as planned while everyone thought everything was tickety-boo back home.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The draft part of it led to some early reports that Benoit did it because he was mad about going from Smackdown to ECW.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

edogawa rando posted:

He was set to win the belt against Punk as well wasn't he? I've often wondered what would have happened had he turned up to Vengeance after he'd murdered his family, did the match and won the title as planned while everyone thought everything was tickety-boo back home.

I thought this was gonna ask about the world where Benoit didn't kill his family but you are asking wilder, much more interesting questions

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The draft part of it led to some early reports that Benoit did it because he was mad about going from Smackdown to ECW.

I remember that. I also remember when Nancy Grace reported he was mad about being demoted from the Four Horsemen to Raw.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

He was set to win the belt against Punk as well wasn't he?

Yes

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

There's still people who think Kevin Sullivan did it, because he wrestled a Satanic gimmick at one point. Wrestling fans are dumb and awful

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Vince looks so annoyed to be making both of these statements but ESPECIALLY the second one.

Also I feel it's worth pointing out he doesn't actually apologize for anything in the second one, lol.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MorningMoon posted:

I thought this was gonna ask about the world where Benoit didn't kill his family but you are asking wilder, much more interesting questions

Yeah, it's worth noting that Benoit did call to exchange his ticket for a later flight, meaning that he strongly considered straight-up going to the PPV like nothing happened.

MJeff posted:

Vince looks so annoyed to be making both of these statements but ESPECIALLY the second one.

Also I feel it's worth pointing out he doesn't actually apologize for anything in the second one, lol.

Fair enough. It was more of Vince going, "Whoopsie! Not going to do that again."

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
If you apologise, you're admitting that you were in the wrong and at fault. Vince doesn't seem like the sort of person to do that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What is this

https://twitter.com/PerfectHeist2k/status/1650008613828558850?t=7GT1zOxvToa5fd-QNS9xGw&s=19

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
How does one even execute the Sad Zoolander face Edge is pulling there

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Before I clicked play, I had a moment of wondering, "Why does this footage of MJF choking CM Punk with a chain have the WWE logo on it?"

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Gonz posted:

Also, people often forget that after Vince was blown up, fans were literally calling FBI field offices to ask questions about the crime, which led to WWE having to tell people to knock that poo poo off, because the ficticious “FIB” investigatory agency was on the case, replete with “FIB” agents issuing statements on WWE shows.
Please do not confuse the prestigious "FIC" with the fictitious "FIB"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1650560519164796928?t=y9VzyxNJikqAM1L-Q-Ragg&s=19

Birds of a feather etc etc

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Sugar Blaster posted:

Please do not confuse the prestigious "FIC" with the fictitious "FIB"

Ah that’s right! My apologies to the FIC.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

fightful posted:

The backstage is buzzing today about a Triple H announcement on WWE Raw.

One widely speculated element is that a new title belt is fully prepared and could be introduced as soon as tonight's WWE Raw. It hasn't been specified if it's a new design, or a completely new title. 

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

At long last the European title returns!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lol they're making the cody belt so he doesn't have to beat roman

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

zetamind2000 posted:

It better be in the style of that Hardy belt, but with the neck tattoo as the center plate.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Polka Dot Belt

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Bring back the Hardcore Championship belt! :letsgo:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Finally a Raw Underground champion.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kennel posted:

Polka Dot Belt

It's a rubber chicken tied to a belt strap.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

zetamind2000 posted:

He's past having a belt he's defining an entire tier.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/jrsbbq/status/1650612605872947201?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Glad to hear he’ll be getting a lobotomy to stop being a pedo

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
edit: whoops already posted

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Gonz posted:

It better be in the style of that Hardy belt, but with the neck tattoo as the center plate.

Have you seen the IWGP World Heavyweight Title?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Majinfoose posted:

Have you seen the IWGP World Heavyweight Title?

I have not.

*goes to look*

:stare:

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

The timeline went like this:

- June 25: Vince announces on Raw that the Benoit family was found dead, so he canceled the storyline and sent all the fans home. Raw then becomes increasingly awkward for the next three hours.

- June 26: Vince starts ECW with an apology for the previous night.

That was so weird to watch in real time. I remember goons posting the night of the Benoit memorial thread. Started off with both shock and sadness right until the Regal interview. That is the exact moment many of us went “ummm…. Something seems off.” The Vince moment on ECW I remember was the true beginning of the wtf. Man this thread was crazy. Good news is nobody here seriously thought Kevin Sullivan did it.

As a big Angle, Benoit and Eddgie G fan, these were a few rough years.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

zetamind2000 posted:

They're going to give him the USA Channel Championship belt Title

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gonz posted:

I have not.

*goes to look*

:stare:

Now think about the belt it replaced.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/WrestlePurists/status/1650616345904414721?s=20

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

lol lmao

I hope HHH’s huge announcement was thrown in the trash

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

lol lmao

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

y'all seen "Hider in the House"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Triple H still has to go out there but now he has to bring out the cool new belt he invented and throw it in the trash

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

JUNGLE BOY posted:

lol lmao

I hope Trips big announcement is he is going home now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004