Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
We need two gang tags, one for the pro-commentary posters and one for the anti-commentary posters. I vote that it should be called "Chess thread North" and "Chess thread South" like the civil war. Me, having the good opinion, obviously will be part of chess thread north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Huxley posted:

Two things I'm learning as I start taking the game more seriously:

I am like, 200 points worse on my phone than I am on a computer. I have an old ipad floating around, I'm interested to see if that splits the difference.

I paid for a year of dotcom, which makes my dotcom rating feel very serious and sweaty. So I started using Lichess for "practice" because it was a place I felt free not to care about my "actual rating." And now 99% of my playing is on Lichess because not really caring is what makes it fun. I'm 100% aware of how this is all just my brain playing a trick on itself, so maybe what I need to do now is go get a FIDE rating, so THAT feels like my real rating.

Brains are funny things.

yeah, I used to try at rapid and use blitz for screwing around

Then I wanted to improve my blitz rating because I became able to play 5+3 competently, so now I try 2+1 bullet for screwing around.

Was tempted to reinstall chess.com to have a new screwing around outlet but ehhh that's too far.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That opening is wild. But judging by the timing they are in book still.
And now the commenters are speculating if Ding knows that Ian has played this position before in Blitz.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
that was one of the chessgames of all time. Not really much more to say about it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it was ok

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Games were better when Anish was commentating.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Ding's gonna want to have gotten more out of that opening.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hes gonna have wanted to win that game he should have won and not froze up in time pressure too

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fart simpson posted:

hes gonna have wanted to win that game he should have won and not froze up in time pressure too

This is gonna sound weird but... I think I know some of Ding's prep. And if I know what I think I know about this, the eval he has on Bc5 is "this is pretty close to winning for white." It's the sort of opening that gets a bit under-prepared because you assume that black just won't play Bc5, so then you get into it and you know you're around +0.6 with good pressure but you can't remember how to not let it get reduced to a rook endgame.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

This is gonna sound weird but... I think I know some of Ding's prep. And if I know what I think I know about this, the eval he has on Bc5 is "this is pretty close to winning for white." It's the sort of opening that gets a bit under-prepared because you assume that black just won't play Bc5, so then you get into it and you know you're around +0.6 with good pressure but you can't remember how to not let it get reduced to a rook endgame.

why would you assume that black wont play it?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fart simpson posted:

why would you assume that black wont play it?

So the decision black is facing here is between Bb4 and Bc5. When you're looking at this on the level of theory, from either side, the verdict is "black should play Bb4, not Bc5, because Bc5 gets its rear end kicked by Nxe5." Bc5 gives white Nxe4, which gives white control of the centre, good mobility, and a good attack towards a shaky black kingside. e: the key point being that Bc5 basically puts black at a deep disadvantage with no benefit, and you would not expect a player to play that in a situation where they've prepared. Maybe seeing it in a blitz game where you assume white's not gonna play it right, but not in a classical game.

Looks like against 11...d6 Marin gives Bg5, not Ding's Bf4, and the queens stay on the board with the eval moving around the +0.35 to +0.6 range depending on how my lovely laptop's HIARCS is feeling

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

This chess set is awful lol

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

If I could have those pieces 3D printed, I would play with them all the time

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

It has been a running joke in the thread for what feels like an eternity.

E: in fact someone had it as an avatar lol.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I hated it at first but it's slowly grown on me so I can tolerate it.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Yeah it’s painful.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

algebra testes posted:

It has been a running joke in the thread for what feels like an eternity.

E: in fact someone had it as an avatar lol.

someone bought the av for me a long time ago yeah

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Chamale posted:

If I could have those pieces 3D printed, I would play with them all the time

A new Armageddon format: White plays first but Black brings the customized chess set.

This is my son Pawn and my slightly taller, fatter, balder son Bishop

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Salt Fish posted:

We need two gang tags, one for the pro-commentary posters and one for the anti-commentary posters. I vote that it should be called "Chess thread North" and "Chess thread South" like the civil war. Me, having the good opinion, obviously will be part of chess thread north.

Actually it’s about states’ knights

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Did someone catch the explanation for this estimate on the chess.com stream this morning? I made the screenshot then forgot about it:

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I think it's just taking into account the odds of draws, the odds of wins with the white pieces versus the black pieces, and the fact that Ian has a one game lead through game 10, so he's technically shown an advantage versus Ding.

I'd like to think Ding has better than 15% to get a win in either game 12 or 14, both will be with the white pieces. But even if that happens, he also has to draw with black in game 13, which is not guaranteed.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It’s probably the same garbage methodology they use to give percentage chances teams win in other sports; they fed it into an ML model that is basically a random number generator at this point and plastered it everywhere without putting any thought into it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

AnoHito posted:

It’s probably the same garbage methodology they use to give percentage chances teams win in other sports; they fed it into an ML model that is basically a random number generator at this point and plastered it everywhere without putting any thought into it.

I think difference in chess rating is supposed to parse out to likelihood to win/draw/lose so I guess if you’re using rating in white games and black games for each player it isn’t a total rear end pull.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

AnoHito posted:

I feel like in an era where you can bet on anything from your cell phone this is probably unlikely.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

I can't even evaluate the position because I hate it so much

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ElGroucho posted:

I can't even evaluate the position because I hate it so much

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I want a board that's the kind of thing you get in books and newspapers and I can't find a good one on any site

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

You can get pretty close:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rollick posted:

I want a board that's the kind of thing you get in books and newspapers and I can't find a good one on any site

Hey uh what the gently caress are those bishops doing

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Captain Foo posted:

Hey uh what the gently caress are those bishops doing

Bishops can do whatever they want when the board is rotated 90 degrees.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

You can get pretty close:

Yeah, that's what I've landed on and it's fine, not ideal.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Bishops can do whatever they want when the board is rotated 90 degrees.

haha that was just the first google image result, but looking at where I got it from, it turns out part of the puzzle is to figure out the board orientation and the last move by black.

rollick fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 25, 2023

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

This is white to play and mate in one.
cxb6#!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
..is that a meme i don't understand

did this thread suddenly become anarchy chess

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

kumba posted:

..is that a meme i don't understand

did this thread suddenly become anarchy chess

Rotate the board, and assume black just pushed the pawn that's next to the white king two spaces. En passant capture!

You assume that because no other black move was legal.

You assume the rotation because that's the only way to let white have a mate in one

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 25, 2023

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Game 12 and Ding opens with Colle. The openings in this match have been quite something.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Obfuscation posted:

Game 12 and Ding opens with Colle. The openings in this match have been quite something.

Nepo opens like a normal person, Ding has been opening like a madman and it has been beautiful.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I look away for a minute and now Ding is playing for a win again.

Amazing game.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Obfuscation posted:

Yeah, it's an interesting strategy that makes a lot of sense: instead of picking one position and just being more familiar with it than the opponent (i.e. picking one opening and playing it five times), he's just constantly changing what he does. It's like he's targeting "let's gently caress around for a bit and see who's better."

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

This game has been a loving roller coaster, jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

I look away for a minute and now Ding is playing for a win again.

Amazing game.

I would love some way that after each move it could somehow record what each player thought the evaluation is.