Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Yeah I was thinking a run to 0906 and firing at the galleon or a jump to the woods at 0512 and firing on 9s at the stinger

I think 0906 leaves me taking 9+ from the galleon and 11+ from the stinger, relatively safe. I think I can turn to have my left side facing the galleon as well just to protect my already damaged right torso

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

GAL#2 is only at +1 move mod? But otherwise this is another intriguing option

Yes, the Galleon had to "waste" a lot of MP going up hill. It moved at Flank Speed and spent about 7 MP and only travelling 4 hexes. So it's attacker movement modifier is +2 for Flank/Run but to shoot at the Galleon is only +1 for 4 hexes.

The defender movement mods break down like this:

Target Hexes Traveled (including the final hex)
0-2 +0
3-4 +1
5-6 +2
7-9 +3
10-17 +4
18-24 +5
25+ +6
Jumped +1

So, jumping 6 Hexes is +3, equal to moving 7-9 hexes on foot.

Attacking movement is much simpler

Standing still +0
Walked/Cruising Speed +1
Run/Flank Speed +2
Jumping +3

So we can see there's certain break points where your movement becomes beneficial to you. Running movement, but travelling less than 5 hexes means you are taking a heavier penalty than your offering to the enemy. This is what happened to the Galleon this turn. His to-hit for attacking is +2 for Flank Speed (yellow color on map) but he only moved 4 hexes for +1 target movement modifier.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

Yes, the Galleon had to "waste" a lot of MP going up hill. It moved at Flank Speed and spent about 7 MP and only travelling 4 hexes. So it's attacker movement modifier is +2 for Flank/Run but to shoot at the Galleon is only +1 for 4 hexes.

The defender movement mods break down like this:

Target Hexes Traveled (including the final hex)
0-2 +0
3-4 +1
5-6 +2
7-9 +3
10-17 +4
18-24 +5
25+ +6
Jumped +1

So, jumping 6 Hexes is +3, equal to moving 7-9 hexes on foot.

Attacking movement is much simpler

Standing still +0
Walked/Cruising Speed +1
Run/Flank Speed +2
Jumping +3

So we can see there's certain break points where your movement becomes beneficial to you. Running movement, but travelling less than 5 hexes means you are taking a heavier penalty than your offering to the enemy. This is what happened to the Galleon this turn. His to-hit for attacking is +2 for Flank Speed (yellow color on map) but he only moved 4 hexes for +1 target movement modifier.

i did know that :doh: but glad it's here for other folks

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

i did know that :doh: but glad it's here for other folks

Yeah, I'm kind :justpost: for everyone reading that isn't familiar with the rules.

Also, I've been putting out what I'd do with the Lance as a whole, anyone else is free to come up with a plan for a turn! Post away as I'll probably miss some move and the more we have chiming in means increasing the odds we find something to give us the advantage.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hey if Prime moves to 0807 or 0803 what kind of shot is that CDA gonna have on me; assuming r7 to either?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Amechwarrior posted:

Yeah, I'm kind :justpost: for everyone reading that isn't familiar with the rules.

i appreciate it!

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

hey if Prime moves to 0807 or 0803 what kind of shot is that CDA gonna have on me; assuming r7 to either?

0807 is 10 or 11 Hexes from the CDA in 1614. Medium Range for the PPC is out to 12, so even if I've miscounted, there's pretty well inside Medium Range, which is +2. The CDA has 4 Gunnery + 1 Walked + 2 Medium Range so a base of 7 plus any of your movement and maybe +1 if the trees from 1110 intersect.

0803 is about 15 hexes, solidly in Long Range (+4) so the base would become 9 but it is probably about 10 or 11 as at least one if not 2 light woods intersect. So if you walked to 0803 and both woods are in the way, that's a 12 to hit.

If Razor wants to rush the CDA with me, we'd be facing 8s and would be the better shot by far. Space Kablooey, we're coming up on time, we want to rush the CDA not?

If we focus on the Galleon in 0909, we could take it with the Lance. But this will give the CDA another round of firing before we can force it out. My call is taking the rush now and limit the number of turns the CDA can hold this superior overwatch on us.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ok i'm submitting to 0803

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah let's rush it. I'll make my move in a bit.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Submitted to 1610 so I can get 8s and 10s on the COM. In case this goes poorly and it's my last turn, at least I fired everything I got at the Commando.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

Yeah let's rush it. I'll make my move in a bit.

Looking at it, you have 6 JJ, you could make 1609 and face SW and get at the rear of the COM. I'm at 1610 anyway and if we're together, we might be able to have them split fire between us.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Locked in jump to 1510 and alpha striking (kinda) the CDA

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

Looking at it, you have 6 JJ, you could make 1609 and face SW and get at the rear of the COM. I'm at 1610 anyway and if we're together, we might be able to have them split fire between us.

I noticed that the CDA was at short range from my jump limit, so I'm going to risk 4 MLs on it. I will have a lot of extra heat but if we don't die it will be easy to bleed it off next turn.

If I didn't screw up counting then I will be at 7 to-hit with the MLs so I'm feeling good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Space Kablooey posted:

I noticed that the CDA was at short range from my jump limit, so I'm going to risk 4 MLs on it. I will have a lot of extra heat but if we don't die it will be easy to bleed it off next turn

Ride the tiger

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

Locked in jump to 1510 and alpha striking (kinda) the CDA

Mostly-strike

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Ride the tiger

:hai:

Slavvy posted:

Mostly-strike

:haibrower:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 25, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

I noticed that the CDA was at short range from my jump limit, so I'm going to risk 4 MLs on it. I will have a lot of extra heat but if we don't die it will be easy to bleed it off next turn.

If I didn't screw up counting then I will be at 7 to-hit with the MLs so I'm feeling good.

Unless the missed something, that's 9s not 7s.you might want to PM to adjust. You probably forgot medium range.

4 Gunnery + 3 Jumping + 2 Medium Range = 9

That or if you mean the Commando, then your still at 9s.
You're at short range, but it moved for +2 so same-same. I'd probably toss 2ML (6 heat) and the MG(0 heat) at the Commando and break even after the 6 jumping heat. This sets you up for next round to overheat on the crippled Cicada.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

Unless the missed something, that's 9s not 7s.you might want to PM to adjust. You probably forgot medium range.

4 Gunnery + 3 Jumping + 2 Medium Range = 9

That or if you mean the Commando, then your still at 9s.
You're at short range, but it moved for +2 so same-same. I'd probably toss 2ML (6 heat) and the MG(0 heat) at the Commando and break even after the 6 jumping heat. This sets you up for next round to overheat on the crippled Cicada.

:doh: adjusting. I read the wrong column for the range.

Sent adjusted Orders

Not riding the tiger this time :(

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 25, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Mostly-strike

beta strike

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Orders in, going to 0909 looking NW, then torso twist to alpha the galleon

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Orders in, going to 0909 looking NW, then torso twist to alpha the galleon

0909 is where the Galleon #2 is. Typo?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

0906, using the partial cover and shooting at 0909, good catch

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Over The Hills: Turn 5

The burning corpse of the Galleon slowly slewed to a halt. Its turret swung towards Anna’s position, but the motion was lazy and unguided, a result of the tank’s remaining momentum.

Anna wasn’t sure whether she or Kai-xi had scored the killing blow. They had both skewered the Galleon almost as soon as it had crested the ridge. Their lasers had converged on the little light tank, disgorging hundreds of megajoules of energy into its slender chassis. Its entire right side was now a smouldering ruin, its armour plating, treads and even road wheels reduced to molten slag.

As she surveyed the wreck, Anna muttered a quick prayer for the tank’s crew. There was little chance that any of them had survived. The lasers had clearly penetrated the Galleon’s fighting compartment. If the heat hadn’t killed them, the blizzard of spalling metal fragments definitely would have. The turret was still intact, so the gunner or commander might still be alive, but the Galleon’s top hatch showed no signs of opening.

After gazing at the burning tank for a few more moments Anna sighed and turned her attention back to the battlefield at large. Now was not the time for sympathy. There would be plenty of time for mercy once the battle was over. Until then, she would harden her heart and do what needed to be done.

Weapons fire for Locust LCT-3V (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 10: Hits Right Side! Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Right Side, 5/10 Armour remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Right Side! No critical hits sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Jenner JR7-F (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 9: Hits Turret! Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Turret, 9/14 Armour remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Turret! No critical hits sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 10: Hits Right Side! Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Right Side, 0/10 Armour remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Right Side! Small Laser malfunctions!
-Fires Medium Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 8: Hits Rear! Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Rear, 6/11 Armour remaining. Chance for Motive System Damage!
--Motive System Hit! Minor damage, +1 to driving skill rolls.
-Fires Medium Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 10: Hits Right Side! Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Right Side, 0/3 Structure remaining. Section destroyed! Vehicle destroyed!

Weapons fire for Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 11: Hits Rear Left Torso! Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Rear Left Torso, 0/2 Armour, 3/6 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained.
-Fires Machine Gun at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 11: Hits Rear Centre Torso! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! Damage reduced from 2 to 1! Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) takes 1 damage to Rear Centre Torso, 1/2 Armour remaining.
-Fires Machine Gun at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 10, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Vulcan VL-5T (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Machine Gun at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 11, rolls 9: Misses!

Weapons fire for Cicada CDA-3C (Prowlers):
-Fires PPC at Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Left Arm! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! Damage reduced from 10 to 5! Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player) takes 5 damage to Left Arm, 0/4 Armour, 2/3 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Arm! No critical hits sustained.

Weapons fire for Commando COM-1D (Prowlers):
-Fires Large Laser at Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Jenner JR7-F (Player); needs 11, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player); needs 10, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Jenner JR7-F (Player); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Scorpion (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Fires AC/5 at Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 9, rolls 10: Hits Left Leg! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! Damage reduced from 5 to 2! Vulcan VL-5T (Player) takes 2 damage to Left Leg, 7/14 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Foot Platoon (Laser) (Prowlers):
-Fires Laser Rifles at Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 7, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Foot Platoon (Laser) #2 (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

No melee attacks this turn!

Jenner JR7-F (Player) gains 14 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Locust LCT-3V (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Vulcan VL-5T (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Cicada CDA-3C (Prowlers) gains 11 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Sprint: Infantry can move two hexes in one turn in exchange for not being able to fire.
-Dig In: Infantry can dig in, removing the defence penalty for being caught in the open.

Primary Objectives:
-Capture Pirate Base (1/8 Enemies Destroyed / Driven Off)

Next Orders Due: Saturday 29th 9:00PM GMT.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

narrow profile saving lives out here

Is the next turn just backshots galore?

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 26, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Of course I roll a 9 when I need 11

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Since the COM decided to stick around, and looking at the armour quantities, I'm thinking of gunning for it instead of the CDA. The LL feels a lot scarier at this range than the PPC, and it's paper thin, in comparison to the fat bug.

I can reach 1811 for a backside 20-damage shot at the COM even.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 26, 2023

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

ilmucche posted:

narrow profile saving lives out here

It really is one of the best design quirks. It cuts incoming damage in half, inflicts penalties on cluster weapons, and even imposes a -2 on the critical hit table if an attack hits structure. Fragile light mechs in particular really benefit from the increased survivability.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

colour indicates jumping tanks, lol

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Bring back the Kanga jump tank.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

colour indicates jumping tanks, lol

The chad jump tank vs the virgin battlemech.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nice shooting, Jenner

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Peppy Star Fox 64 Voice: "Try Hovering!"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Scintilla posted:

It really is one of the best design quirks. It cuts incoming damage in half, inflicts penalties on cluster weapons, and even imposes a -2 on the critical hit table if an attack hits structure. Fragile light mechs in particular really benefit from the increased survivability.

Yeah halving damage is HUGE for these paper thin 'mechs

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Good job everyone! We're setup for the kill. I expected to take some fire, but I forgot about Narrow Profile. I need to protect my left side or else this is going to become very expensive if even 1 MG or SRM hits my arm.

Though, I suspect we'll take some more internal damage before this is done. We just need to spread it out across everyone. Trading my LCTs DMG for the hits on the COM worked out this time.

You're right about the COM being more dangerous. In the end, it can deal more damage than the CDA at this range and it has no minimum range. For new players - Some long range weapons have a Minimum Range, the CDA's PPC has a Min Range of 3. So while Short Range is +0 to your to-hit, at 3 Hexes you add +1 for targeting something inside your min. range, adding +1 of each hex closer to you. LRMs famously have a massive min. range of 7, leading to nearly impossible shots at point blank. The video games usually don't portray these min. ranges except for LRMs.

As for movement and stacking - Only 1 'Mech per Hex, you can't move through enemy 'Mech Hexes, but can for allies with no extra costs. So we got to take the long way around the back sides of the 'Mechs. As for the Scorpion, can I get a rules check? Can we pass through the Scorpion's Hex? I can't recall if we can enter but not leave or we're free to basically ignore it. I'm not with my rules right now.

I'll see if I can come up with a way to help kill the COM, but at first glance 1814 seems like a safe place for me. The COM can't reach me there with the LL and has to Torso Twist left to hit me with the LA mounted SRM-6, but I feel if Razor is behind the COM, it would probably fire the LL at you instead by twisting right. Nevermind, this is a COM-1D with only the CT SRM-6 and no LA mounted SRMs as found on the more common COM-2D model. If I can get there I'm pretty safe from all but the STG and Scorpion.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 26, 2023

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

As for the Scorpion, can I get a rules check? Can we pass through the Scorpion's Hex? I can't recall if we can enter but not leave or we're free to basically ignore it. I'm not with my rules right now.

Mechs can enter an enemy vehicle's hex, but not move through them. Basically the vehicle body checks you and stops you from passing.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I thought you straight up couldn't target inside min ranges.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Min range is one of the reasons clan lrms are so loving good

They don’t have a min range

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Picturing still-unarmed missiles vomiting out of an lrm20 and immediately crashing into the target like rocks

Alternatively, already armed missiles vomiting out of an lrm20 and showering the launcher with fire and shrapnel

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

They don’t have a min range

That plus they're like half the weight. Way too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There wasn't really a point to any other cluster weapon in the Clans until the iATM came along, which was comically broken.