Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grimthwacker posted:

Riki's story. Vergil's palace. Magma Slimes. Absolute bullshit. I have to kill THIRTY of those goddamn things which do guaranteed LP damage, making it a fight I pretty much cannot win with Riki in his current form due to low LP (Unicorn, which is so good otherwise). I have all the tools I need, but I have to give up a great thing in a game where evolving monsters requires a guide unless you get lucky guessing. Thanks a lot, game.

I think you can use a different team and don't have to use team 1 with Riki.

Alternately, make Riki invisible while your party lays down the AOE. That fight is probably the dumbest one in the game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, you can just use the ring to make the party invisible once Riki's LP gets low. If he defends for the rest of the fight it'll never wear off and he won't get targeted.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Grimthwacker posted:

Riki's story. Vergil's palace. Magma Slimes. Absolute bullshit. I have to kill THIRTY of those goddamn things which do guaranteed LP damage, making it a fight I pretty much cannot win with Riki in his current form due to low LP (Unicorn, which is so good otherwise). I have all the tools I need, but I have to give up a great thing in a game where evolving monsters requires a guide unless you get lucky guessing. Thanks a lot, game.

Yeah I was convinced that was a puzzle fight for the longest time

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'd love to keep Riki out of the fight when I can, but the fact is that he has Quicksand, and Mei-Ling has Total Shot, which are the only two multi-target attacks I have available at the moment, and the shorter this fight goes on the better. The rest of the team isn't that much of a problem. I'm just worried about things dragging on for too long.

Possible strategy: I also use the Warrior Ring to boost offense, but does that work on Monster skills too?

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 13, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, that's a big ol' oof and you don't even know it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Grimthwacker posted:

Yeah that's the single fight I hated the most in the whole game. The first time I got through it, I used that one shadow(iirc) magic spell to just to make Riki invisible after a few rounds and did the rest of the fight down one person. But the best way might just be to build up a second team without him. There's some good reasons to have some alternate characters ready beyond just this fight for the record.

It's just weird because no other chapter makes you deal with stuff like that but you get all the unusual technical fights in Riki's for whatever reason. It's definitely an unpleasant surprise to spring on a player right at the end of a scenario.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Grimthwacker posted:

I'd love to keep Riki out of the fight when I can, but the fact is that he has Quicksand, and Mei-Ling has Total Shot, which are the only two multi-target attacks I have available at the moment, and the shorter this fight goes on the better. The rest of the team isn't that much of a problem. I'm just worried about things dragging on for too long.

Possible strategy: I also use the Warrior Ring to boost offense, but does that work on Monster skills too?

Y'all aren't ready for that fight if that's the only AOE you have. Get some Sword characters with Gale Slash or Floating Juggernaut, at a minimum.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ace Transmuter posted:

Y'all aren't ready for that fight if that's the only AOE you have. Get some Sword characters with Gale Slash or Floating Juggernaut, at a minimum.

Seconding this. That's a fight where you want everyone to have an AOE.

But, yeah, your story is an oof.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The main thing about SaGa Frontier is that given that most of the stories will just jump you forward quickly, it can be very difficult to realize when your natural inclination to Do Plot has caused you to overextend. Magma slimes and that palace in general is a common breaking point for Riki runs due to some of the challenges, so it’s absolutely reasonable to step out and do some more sidequesting and working on your roster strength and flexibility. Even if you do brute force the slimes, the lack of AOE skills you have strongly implies some other gaps in skill diversity that are probably going to roadblock you soon in another Riki-specific challenge.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Tortolia posted:

The main thing about SaGa Frontier is that given that most of the stories will just jump you forward quickly, it can be very difficult to realize when your natural inclination to Do Plot has caused you to overextend. Magma slimes and that palace in general is a common breaking point for Riki runs due to some of the challenges, so it’s absolutely reasonable to step out and do some more sidequesting and working on your roster strength and flexibility. Even if you do brute force the slimes, the lack of AOE skills you have strongly implies some other gaps in skill diversity that are probably going to roadblock you soon in another Riki-specific challenge.

This. If you've got other rings to do I strongly suggest leaving Virgil's ring for last. If it is your last ring, you're gonna want to do some more side-questing and grinding because you're approaching the final boss who WILL wreck your day if you're underpowered. Getting a sword wielder or two up to snuff will help. So will teaching Dr. Nusakan some actually useful magic. You can buy him Reverse Gravity if it's too late to teach him Sun magic.

Also a... friendly suggestion... Riki's quest is one where you're going to want to have at least one extra, backup character that's endgame ready.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grimthwacker posted:

I'd love to keep Riki out of the fight when I can, but the fact is that he has Quicksand, and Mei-Ling has Total Shot, which are the only two multi-target attacks I have available at the moment

You might be in for a bad time then because doing that fight without AOE sounds like absolute hell. I can't imagine playing through anyone's story without at least one good magic user (Rogue) and a sword user (Gen, Lute if all else fails) with dual wield gale slash. Hell the more sword users the better because (dual) gale slash spam will wreck a whole lot of stuff.

Go do magic sidequests if you haven't. Then you can recruit Kylin instead of buying space magic who is fairly strong and has some good AOE options like Sacred Song. If all else fails, do some Takonomics and load up T260G and Engineer Car with a bunch of techs and high powered gear since lots of money lets you instantly make mechs into endgame units and they have a bunch of LP for lasting through magma slime bullshit.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I realized I hadn't done the SaGa fiesta challenge yet so I did the whole thing in one night. Two mutants, two monsters.

I kind of appreciate a short game once in a while.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Almost done with Virgil's tower and, by extension, this whole ring thing. That was an obnoxious slog. Before I fight him, if there's anything I've learned from past experience, it's that I have to grind like hell.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Grimthwacker posted:

Almost done with Virgil's tower and, by extension, this whole ring thing. That was an obnoxious slog. Before I fight him, if there's anything I've learned from past experience, it's that I have to grind like hell.

Good luck! Depending on circumstances you might need it.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
If Virgil is the last ring you've got, then starting that fight puts you on the road to the end-game for Riki's quest. Keep a save before it because it is the point of no return, and the final boss is mean, in more ways than one.

In many ways the Blood Slimes serve as a check on your AOE abilities; having solid AOE is incredibly important for the final boss.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Riki's story done. Thankfully I did so much grinding that I was able to wipe everything around the final boss quickly and still manage to focus it down with just T260 and Lute spamming Multi-Slash and Ursine Assault while Gen, Riki and Nusakan kept everybody healed. Blessed release.

Last of the main seven is Lute. The BIG big one. Later. . . much later.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Whenever anyone posts about doing Riki's quest for the first time I always wonder if they're using Mei-Ling long-term and setting themselves up for a rugpull

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

mp5 posted:

Whenever anyone posts about doing Riki's quest for the first time I always wonder if they're using Mei-Ling long-term and setting themselves up for a rugpull

This absolutely happened to me the first time I played it, and it made everything incredibly dicey. In those young and foolish days, she was my only one with healing magic as well, and I hadn't trained anyone else up at all, so I was pretty properly hosed.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

mp5 posted:

This happened to me the first time I did Riki’s story back when the game originally came out. It was great.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Grimthwacker posted:

Riki's story done. Thankfully I did so much grinding that I was able to wipe everything around the final boss quickly and still manage to focus it down with just T260 and Lute spamming Multi-Slash and Ursine Assault while Gen, Riki and Nusakan kept everybody healed. Blessed release.

Last of the main seven is Lute. The BIG big one. Later. . . much later.

Gen healing people? :thunk:

Lute's story is... technically short at least.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gen healing people? :thunk:

He was my backpack guy since he was the most survivable. Mei-ling was magic healing along with Riki getting Magical Healing, and Nusukan comes with his unlimited use shirt.

I probably could've used the Healer's Ring for the final fight. . . but Mei-ling had it. C'est la vie.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I think I should've waited to do this quest since Scorn hits very hard. He(?) mostly targeted Sif, Albert and Aisha and completely ignored Dowd, which is the only one with a healing spell and he spent the entire fight calling fish to revive someone each turn.

So, I have a question. Can I go back to a town to heal my LP and/or buy a Cosmology healing spell or I just fail the quest when doing so even though I defeated the minion of Saruin?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

OgretailFood posted:

So, I have a question. Can I go back to a town to heal my LP and/or buy a Cosmology healing spell or I just fail the quest when doing so even though I defeated the minion of Saruin?
If you're on Ailing Emperor, the two ways to fail the quest are reaching Event Rank 14 before completion, or by losing specifically to Scorn. You're otherwise free to come and go as you please, just note that the ER window can be tighter than expected.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

mp5 posted:

I’m always kinda sad when they don’t because it’s like they miss out on the gently caress you experience of it all

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Hogama posted:

If you're on Ailing Emperor, the two ways to fail the quest are reaching Event Rank 14 before completion, or by losing specifically to Scorn. You're otherwise free to come and go as you please, just note that the ER window can be tighter than expected.
THANK YOU! I don't have to worry about failing this then and just heal my LP bc drat this temple has a lot of enemies.

Edit: Zodiac hits HARD. Took me like seven(?) retries to actually consider using the Defend command and survive Frost but I got the Moonstone.

Edit 2: Completed the Pirate Invasion quest. Why was the chain battle against the demon, cyclops and the priest way harder than the fight against Scorn? But yeah, good game so far, nothing that an axe to the face can't solve

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 29, 2023

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

So I started Lute's story in Frontier Remastered knowing full well that it could potentially be the longest, most involved run in the game, and I'm using guides to point me toward all the stuff I missed with the previous six characters. I'm already getting choice paralysis about where to go and who to get and who to use and how I'm possibly going to outfit all the people I want. I expect this whole thing to be done in a month or two if I'm taking my sweet time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Finished my first playthrough of the Minstrel Song remaster and had a good time of it. And it leads me to a question which is: What options do folks like to use for New Game Plus? Looking it up I see it's far more extensive than the OG PS2 version. Probably will just go with the default options but I'm wondering if folks have any recommendations besides that.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Regarding Minstrel Song: How am I supposed to treat people in my party? I started off with two, geared them up and then they just left. Couple more people joined. Are you supposed to keep investing in them? Feels kinda expensive and tedious.

And god drat my tempered sword is fubar and I can find a drat blacksmith after the first area.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

sponges posted:

Regarding Minstrel Song: How am I supposed to treat people in my party? I started off with two, geared them up and then they just left. Couple more people joined. Are you supposed to keep investing in them? Feels kinda expensive and tedious.

And god drat my tempered sword is fubar and I can find a drat blacksmith after the first area.

Who did you start as? Who are the two who left? And where are you in the world? Blacksmiths are everywhere in the game.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

Who did you start as? Who are the two who left? And where are you in the world? Blacksmiths are everywhere in the game.

I started with Gray. Galahad and Myriam left. I got two randoms in Melvir

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

sponges posted:

Well once you're out in the world as Gray you can go wherever and there are plenty of Smithies. The random nameless dudes you find around are basically just temp characters, who exist until you can find some real named people to put in your party. They're weak, permadie easily, and after a point stop spawning at all. You can also re-recruit Myriam and Galahad if you removed them from your party.

As for party members they're critically important and should be treated as such and invested in. A handful will only join for short periods or specific quests, but in general your party can be counted on to stay in your party, them leaving at random is the rare exception and not the rule. Ultimately building up your party is a major part of progression through the game and vitally important to proceed.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

sponges posted:

you generally have a static party after the first few hours

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

sponges posted:

Most party members join permanently but sometimes the start of a chapter gives you temporary companions. Sometimes they'll stay, sometimes they'll leave for good (they can join others, but they won't join you.) Diana is a good example, she's easy to recruit for all characters but for plot reasons she cannot be in Albert's party.

Though I think Grey should be able to re-recruit those two if you find them in game later. But you should be fine with most other named characters in the game. The generics can only be used once and will disappear forever if fired/killed. The minstrel is not a generic but he can be a pain since he always leaves when you go into taverns. Not really worth the trouble.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Thanks for the help :)

Since I’m already bumping this thread with inane questions: has any played Unlimited Saga? I bought it like 10 years ago and haven’t touched it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I’ve played Unlimited SaGa. I really enjoyed it myself, but it’s the least popular SaGa game for a reason.

It’s really unconventional so familiarity with other rpgs doesn’t carry over much, and there’s basically no ingame tutorials or information, and the ui is not very helpful, but if you can get past all that I think the actual gameplay does some pretty cool stuff. Really fantastic soundtrack too.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

sponges posted:

Since I’m already bumping this thread with inane questions: has any played Unlimited Saga? I bought it like 10 years ago and haven’t touched it.

Unlimited SaGa is bizarre and obtuse even by SaGa standards. If you can figure out the UI (which is not easy) and wrap your head around the systems and some of the out there stuff in the game it's actually a very playable (if extremely weird) game. It's surprisingly well designed for a deranged fever dream of a game (again, by SaGa standards).

I would DEFINITELY recommend a guide for some helpful 101 tips like "how the hell do you move around?"

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think my biggest problem with Unlimited Saga is that the games difficulty is wildly inconsistent and doesn't really match up with how Saga usually handles difficulty. The game places an increased emphasis on LP as opposed to HP. LP values are higher but any damaging attack can potentially take off one or more LP points. Your HP acts as a buffer and your character will still be able to perform actions even if their HP is 0, they will just be more vulnerable to LP damage.

The game is a dungeon crawler where you move around in dungeons using a series of nodes. Each dungeon will have a time limit which depending on the quest can be a very significant or a nonfactor (some dungeons will only give you 30 moves, others will give you thousands). Usually random encounters in Saga games have at least a small change to wipe you if you roll a bad encounter or get unlucky with the AI. The challenge in other Saga games comes from identifying threats and limiting the risk of wipes. Unlimited Saga encounters are all about wearing you down and slowly decreasing your lifepoints. After you've progressed enough in the story to get a full party, it is unlikely that the short and mid sized dungeons will present any tension.

The character progression system can also be very frustrating. It's never fun to spend an hour and a half on a quest and wind up with a party that's weaker than when they started the quest, but that is a possibility with the panel system they used. There's still a good bit of fun to be had and when the game is firing on all cylinders it's a good time, it's just that the more tedious parts make it difficult to recommend, even before the sheer obtuseness of it's systems.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

sponges posted:

Omnicrom posted:

Unlimited SaGa is bizarre and obtuse even by SaGa standards. If you can figure out the UI (which is not easy) and wrap your head around the systems and some of the out there stuff in the game it's actually a very playable (if extremely weird) game. It's surprisingly well designed for a deranged fever dream of a game (again, by SaGa standards).

I would DEFINITELY recommend a guide for some helpful 101 tips like "how the hell do you move around?"

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4F21C2CF117D81A7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1brcx4bDoFY

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

sponges posted:

It's worth experiencing if you appreciate novel experiences. There is certainly not any game like it. The music and art is among the best of the series, but the systems are extremely complex and obtuse. And unfortunately the characters and storylines are pretty bare bones.

My only advice is to give you some info on differences between the characters that might help you pick the one that might best fit you since there are significant differences in difficulty based on the character.

Mythe's story is considered one of the most difficult because he has the hardest final boss by far.

Ruby's story is also pretty difficult and involved. But it's also the "canon" story if that matters. So if there's a definitive one to do it's going to be her story. But if you do pick her, you will spend a lot of time in the longest dungeons of the game. Every single one of them. Otherwise you might want to save her for the end if you somehow decide to spend a hundred hours or so to fully complete every character's storyline.

Armic's has a weird item collection miniquest that you have to do to complete it. Most folks find extremely annoying and it involves going to lots of shops to hunt down rare components.

The rest are more or less straight forward (as much as this game can be straightforward). Though there's still gimmicks with a couple like Kurt's story, but they aren't as major.

Judy's is probably the easiest. Though Ventus/Kurt are also doable as a first. Laura's is a little harder I'd say because of a couple of fights but is probably as close to a classic jrpg story as you'll get in this game if that's your thing.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm here to chime in on Unlimited SaGa to say that I honestly like a lot of it? A lot of the things people complain about (reels, panels, etc.) I think are at best interesting and fun, and at worst easily mitigated.

I do however think the quest/dungeon design is pretty much rear end and drags down what would otherwise be a pretty good game. Never before have I had a game softlock on a required quest because it's a kill all enemies map, but the enemies spawn in faster than I could kill them. (You're supposed to kill everyone before too many reinforcements spawn in but that practically requires you know where to go ahead of time)

Oh also the battle theme rules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47R9VFirriM