Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

koolkal posted:

Lol, I was just thinking that too!

You will be happy to know that I found this via a quote tweet that referenced that line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is not my area of expertise. Does anyone who may know more about it know what the significant differences are with 6G that aren't simply "5G, but faster"? Or what the significance of Wi-Fi 7 is? Or what type of "much more individual identifying information" the Chinese version is working with/is that different from 5G?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/biden-official-jury-is-still-out-on-how-6g-will-look-173257234.html

I don't know the details about the varying proposals yet (and as noted they're not complete), but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the same claims about how 5g was a transformational upgrade over 4g that haven't exactly been born out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
ok, I'm gonna put my chips on "incoming arrest warrant with Tucker's name on it."

That would explain the very sudden nature of this firing better than almost anything else I can think of. Everything else we're talking about you'd think they'd put him on hiatus first or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ok, I'm gonna put my chips on "incoming arrest warrant with Tucker's name on it."

That would explain the very sudden nature of this firing better than almost anything else I can think of. Everything else we're talking about you'd think they'd put him on hiatus first or something.

It's apparently sex poo poo.

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008

I'd love to see it, but it's certainly just "turns out you're expensive and don't want to dial it back", right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shimmy shimmy posted:

I don't know the details about the varying proposals yet (and as noted they're not complete), but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the same claims about how 5g was a transformational upgrade over 4g that haven't exactly been born out.

I mean, behind the scenes, on a core technical level, it probably was. But to users like us it just translated to faster and more reliable service. 6G will probably be the same way

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

I doubt it's just one thing, and I'm sure that's part of it, but everything that's been mentioned so far is "put the show on hiatus and announce he's taking a leave of absence and see if it blows over" type stuff, not "yeet into sun with no warning" type thing like just happened.

I realize I'm wishcasting a bit here but incoming criminal charges would explain the sudden and decisive nature of this better than what's been revealed so far.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Many a news anchor felled by this

Rich men are apparently simply unable to stop treating female subordinates as literal property

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Indictment #2 watch:. https://www.ajc.com/politics/trump-probe-da-urges-law-enforcement-to-prep-for-indictments-this-summer/56OGCLMNOVGPXMJ6YXDPXQOSWY/

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/georgia-prosecutor-reveal-charging-decisions-trump-probe-summer-rcna81242

GA law enforcement told to beef up for possible Trump indictment. She will announce one way or another between July 11 and Sept 1 it appears.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

zoux posted:

I also think that we're noticing it because we're in the 99th percentile of media literacy in this country. For most people, especially Fox News people, it will be like when Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett died on the same day: no one noticed the latter.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. Death that was caused by a nexus of too much money and drug addiction that had semi-recently had his reputation tanked by a pedophile scandal vs dying after a prolonged public battle with cancer.

The first was a shock and spectacle, and the latter less so.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Not an anchor, and not MSNBC, but close enough to call it a trifecta imo: NBC Universal CEO Jeff Shell stepped down this weekend because of an "inappropriate conduct."

Word is that CNBC anchor Hadley Gamble had filed a complaint against Shell to the company accusing him of sexual harassment & sex discrimination; they'd been in a LTR until a couple years ago.

quote:

Jeff Shell Ousted As NBCUniversal Chief With Cause Due To “Sexual Harassment” Of Employee, Comcast Says, Signaling Intent To Avoid Severance Payout

NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell was dismissed “with cause” due to “inappropriate conduct” and “sexual harassment” of an employee, according to a new SEC filing from parent company Comcast.

As Deadline was the first to report, the employee in question is understood to be CNBC anchor and Senior International Correspondent Hadley Gamble.

The “with cause” designation means the company will likely seek to avoid severance payments to Shell. Most executive contracts contain language stipulating different scenarios of how their separation from the company would be treated financially. Sometimes, as in the removal of Les Moonves as CEO of CBS Corp., there can be a legal battle over severance payment, though there was no immediate indication of Shell contesting the “with cause” finding.

“Following a complaint that Jeffrey Shell, CEO of NBCUniversal, engaged in inappropriate conduct with a female employee, including allegations of sexual harassment, Comcast Corporation retained outside counsel to investigate the allegations.” the paragraph-long filing says. “During the investigation, evidence was uncovered that corroborated the allegations. As a consequence, on April 23, 2023, the company terminated Mr. Shell’s employment with cause under his employment agreement, effective immediately.”

The company’s classification of the Shell situation as a sexual harassment case follows somewhat more ambiguous positioning of the matter. When Shell’s exit was first revealed Sunday in a short press release, it was blamed on “a complaint of inappropriate conduct,” and Shell himself was quoted apologizing for having had “an inappropriate relationship.”

A staff memo from Comcast CEO Brian Roberts and President Mike Cavanagh used language suggesting a more serious dimension to the case. “We built this company on a culture of integrity,” they wrote. “Nothing is more important than how we treat each other. You should count on your leaders to create a safe and respectful workplace. When our principles are violated, we will always move quickly to take appropriate action, as we have done here.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jeff-shell-ousted-nbcuniversal-chief-202315723.html

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

shimmy shimmy posted:

5g is fairly transformational. The standards define ways that you can cram a shitload of people into a small space and still have good service (eg stadiums), switch between towers effectively at high speed (mass transit situations), do some other stuff thats more related to industry (iirc its lots of devices/IoT type support), and still increase throughput and decrease latency significantly.

all of that stuff is on the way - it's just that it's all complicated to implement so its not ready yet, which is why 6g is at this stage just commercial and political posturing.

e: reading that back, to the end user it just translates to "you can do the stuff you wanted to do, but it works in more situations" so I can see how that isnt exactly life changing. But the behind the scenes stuff to allow that to happen is pretty impressive.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 25, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I doubt it's just one thing, and I'm sure that's part of it, but everything that's been mentioned so far is "put the show on hiatus and announce he's taking a leave of absence and see if it blows over" type stuff, not "yeet into sun with no warning" type thing like just happened.

I realize I'm wishcasting a bit here but incoming criminal charges would explain the sudden and decisive nature of this better than what's been revealed so far.

It's all the things that Tucker has done, it's just that the fire-able offenses finally amassed to the point that they overwhelmed the counter that he's their most popular guy. Like when you flush the toilet and the water just keeps rising, seeming like every new drop isn't changing anything except increase your regret, but at the last second the water pressure finally reaches the point where the turd gets flushed instead of the toilet overflowing.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Reminder that one of Tucker's largest demographics was millennial Democrats, at least as of a year and a half ago.

quote:

Surprise! Tucker Carlson Draws the Most Democratic Viewers in Key Demo, Even Topping Rachel Maddow

There is an entire cottage industry within media dedicated to disseminating Tucker Carlson’s nightly Fox News musings to presumably liberal audiences who may not be tuning in to hear what the leading conservative voice is telling his large following. But recent data from Nielsen MRI Fusion suggests those nightly dispatches may not be necessary: In October, the most recent month for which data is available, Carlson’s 9 p.m. ET program was the top cable news show among Democrats in the advertiser-coveted age range of 25-54.

The Nielsen MRI Fusion numbers reveal that in October, Fox News unsurprisingly got the majority of the audience of self-proclaimed Republicans, with 69% of them overall tuning into total-day programming and 73% of them in the demo tuning into primetime programming. CNN and MSNBC split the remaining conservatives with totals in the low double-digit percentages. Fox News also commanded the largest number of independents in the key news demo during primetime and total-day hours: 55% of those 25-54 watched the network in primetime, compared to CNN’s 23% and MSNBC’s 22%. During total-day hours, 58% of independents in the demo watch Fox News, 18% chose MSNBC and 25% selected CNN.

More surprising are the stats about Carlson and Fox News’ pull with self-proclaimed Democrats. Of those demo-aged viewers surveyed who identified as Democrats, 39% chose Fox News, 31% chose MSNBC and 30% chose CNN for programming from 8 p.m. ET to 11 p.m. ET. In total-day viewership, Fox News grabbed 42% of Democrats aged 25-54, CNN nabbed 33% and MSNBC got 25%.

Carlson was top among Democrats in the demo across all of cable news that month and ranked third place among Dems in total viewership, too. Of the top four programs among Democrats in total viewers, Fox News had three: “The Five,” “Tucker Carlson Tonight” and “Hannity.” The top spot in total viewers went to MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show.”

These numbers only account for October but reveal that Fox News’ and Carlson’s sizable audiences are not that easy to define. Consider Carlson’s ratings that month. In October, Carlson’s show was the top-rated program in the demo across all of cable news and was the second highest-rated show overall, coming in only behind Fox News’ late-afternoon panel show “The Five.” In total average viewers, he netted 3.081 million viewers and in the demo, he secured 483,000. For the entire year of 2021, “Tucker Carlson Tonight” was the highest-rated program in cable news overall, bringing in an average of 3.214 million total viewers with 535,000 in the demo.

Earlier Tuesday, Nielsen released January’s ratings, which also provided a big win to Fox News. The network hit the milestone of becoming the top-rated cable news channel for 20 straight years.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tucker-carlson-secures-most-democratic-223803687.html

If MSNBC were smart they'd hire him to improve their ratings.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

Reminder that one of Tucker's largest demographics was millennial Democrats, at least as of a year and a half ago.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tucker-carlson-secures-most-democratic-223803687.html

:pwn:

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.

Lassitude posted:

It's a weekly injection, and anecdotally a lot of patients seem to be fairly adherent to it. It produces good results and side-effects aren't a major issue for most folks. That said I can only imagine how much it will cost in the States.

I take Ozempic for diabetes in the States. I am thankfully insured. Without insurance, my latest 84-day supply would have cost me $3,369.

That's at 1mg/week, which is the standard dosage for those taking it for DMII. I believe that the suggested dosage for those taking it for weight loss is twice that: the maximum dose of 2mg/week.

For whatever it's worth, while I've not myself lost weight on this drug, it has worked miracles for my blood glucose levels, which are now down to pre-diabetes levels. It's been astonishingly effective. Really not thrilled about the supply problems its newfound popularity has caused.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Willa Rogers posted:

I think you're misinterpreting this since millennials of any persuasion aren't a large part of Fox News demographics. Their median viewer age is in the 60s (also true for MSNBC and CNN). Of the millennial Democrats that watch cable news he's the biggest, but that demo is very small.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Just spite is also believable to me. Like Carlson using his work email to talk poo poo about Murdock and other executives behind their back and bragging about being vital/untouchable.

Money is just bonus score/bragging rights to those people, and losing some score is maybe worth it to not have the embarrassment of letting Carlson get away with it after its public knowledge in their social circle

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Willa Rogers posted:

I had to cut this off at the half-million mark because there were twice the number of corporate donor names as

Note that these were political contributions made for the 2021-2022 election cycle.

(eta: Mods, let me know if anyone complains about the length & I'll change the images to links.)

Could you timg em? I think that's a reasonable compromise and takes, like, eight keystrokes. and seeing a billion lines in a small picture still gets across the idea

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Could you timg em? I think that's a reasonable compromise and takes, like, eight keystrokes. and seeing a billion lines in a small picture still gets across the idea

Done! Always happy to please my fans. :wink:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

koolkal posted:

I think you're misinterpreting this since millennials of any persuasion aren't a large part of Fox News demographics. Their median viewer age is in the 60s (also true for MSNBC and CNN). Of the millennial Democrats that watch cable news he's the biggest, but that demo is very small.

There's still a considerable no. of older millies & xers who watch cable news:

quote:

In 2020, 34% of people aged 55–64 and 35% aged 65 and over said they regularly watched cable news. For comparison, 27% of people in the 45–54 age group, 24% in the 30–44 bracket, and just 15% of those aged 18–29 watch cable news broadcasts every day. Although some networks skew slightly younger, the average age of cable news viewers is in the 55–65 range. Unsurprisingly, 42% of Gen-Zers and young millennials (18–29) never watch cable news.

https://letter.ly/cable-news-viewership-statistics/ sourcing, but not linking, Statista.

From the same:

quote:

Tucker Carlson Tonight is the most watched cable news show ever.

(Poynter, Newsweek)

Though his on-air comments have caused much controversy and led to pullouts by several high-profile advertisers, Tucker Carlson became part of cable news history in 2020.

His evening show, Tucker Carlson Tonight, now officially tops the list of the highest-rated cable news shows with an average of 4.33 million viewers in the year’s second quarter. In September, the show also had the highest monthly viewership in the history of cable news. Each night that month, more than 5.3 million people tuned in for Carlson’s commentary on the latest events.

And that’s not all — Nielsen’s cable news ratings report reveals that Tucker Carlson Tonight was the first cable news show to attract more than 1 million viewers in the 25–54 group since 2008.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There's also tons of people who absorb that stuff via yt clips and things posted to Twitter. There's clearly lots of people who don't watch cable who are nonetheless either an intentional or unintentional audience for Tucker.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

There's also tons of people who absorb that stuff via yt clips and things posted to Twitter. There's clearly lots of people who don't watch cable who are nonetheless either an intentional or unintentional audience for Tucker.

Yeah, I always had to remind myself of that when I read about how he was the most watched cable news program with 3 million nightly viewers. Because, like, in a vacuum, 3 million really isn’t that much in a country of ~330 million people. But that doesn’t account for social media shares and YouTube clips that get hundreds of thousands, if not millions of views.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Lemon goes to FOX as the token <everything>.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I mean he did something that fox has become aware of that they are launching him out of existence as fast as they possibly can over. Not even "maybe this will blow over." territory, just 'you gone sir."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

AtomikKrab posted:

I mean he did something that fox has become aware of that they are launching him out of existence as fast as they possibly can over. Not even "maybe this will blow over." territory, just 'you gone sir."

Yeah. The more likely option is just some truly explicitly racist text message logs, stuff bad enough that it'd make Murdoch look bad for tolerating it, hard-r etc.

But I like to think a criminal charge is incoming because that's funnier.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah. The more likely option is just some truly explicitly racist text message logs, stuff bad enough that it'd make Murdoch look bad for tolerating it, hard-r etc.

But I like to think a criminal charge is incoming because that's funnier.

Whether criminal, civil, or simply public perception, I'm betting the core issue is that Fox dug up something that deem as making him too much of a liability to tolerate. By canning him now, they mitigate accusations of "But you found out he was doing XYZ, why didn't you respond immediately?!"

If I had to guess - I'd say it's a civil issue. Something came out that could be damning for Fox in court, and they just had a high profile settlement.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Isn't it already reported that it's related to Abby Grossberg's lawsuit alleging sexual harassment, a hostile work environment, and being coached to lie on the stand? I believe I read that in this very thread. Photoshopping Nancy pelosi onto a bikini model and voting on the hotness of women and other odious rear end poo poo. I suppose it's unconfirmed at this point - the NYT hasn't verified a cause yet.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Regarding the drug needing to be taken for life to maintain the weight loss, that is what we would expect. The weight gain is caused by our overall environment (food access, stress/mental health, sleep quality, type of work, etc).

If the situation is the same before taking the drug and after quitting, we should expect the same results.

So I wouldn't hold it as a mark against the drug.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

pork never goes bad posted:

Isn't it already reported that it's related to Abby Grossberg's lawsuit alleging sexual harassment, a hostile work environment, and being coached to lie on the stand? I believe I read that in this very thread. Photoshopping Nancy pelosi onto a bikini model and voting on the hotness of women and other odious rear end poo poo. I suppose it's unconfirmed at this point - the NYT hasn't verified a cause yet.

He's a collapsed singularity of absolutely abhorrent traits who did openly fascist rhetoric as his public persona, so he could leave us guessing for a while from the infinite sea of things it COULD be. I'd rather that NYT or someone else get a pretty solid confirmation on actual cause.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Honestly, it may be easier to list the reasons he WASN'T fired for. Like being a reprehensible piece of poo poo overall. That seems to be a defining trait of all of Fox New's contributors, for instance.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Ugh, I really hope not

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1650841383505129473

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 25, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

On the one hand, I would be very interested in seeing what happened if both Trump and Tucker ran for the Republican nomination for president. Would their supporters vote for their God-King Trump, or their "Truth" Speaker Tucker? How quickly would they run to straight-up Nazism in an attempt to outdo each other? Would there even be an attempt at having a mask on?

On the other hand, I imagine Tucker would also be riling up the base even further than Trump did, and considering his rhetoric, I can see him calling for outright violence at polling places. So I hope to God that he doesn't run.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Trump would crush Carlson and it wouldn't be close. You don't have a cult of personality without the person; Trump and only is that person, and if Trump knows anything it's how to impart upon his crowd that only he is true MAGA

Trump-MAGA will only die when Trump dies.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There is black on white of Carson making GBS threads his pants over Trump. He would be eaten alive.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'd be more concerned about a Trump-Carlson ticket, personally.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'd be more concerned about a Trump-Carlson ticket, personally.

Trump's narcissism would never in a billion years allow it. Anything at all short of fawning servility with eternal flattery and Trump is not interested in someone being near him.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

If Trump is required to make a choice between ol' buddy Murdoch and a guy Murdoch personally fired, he'll go for the guy who can give him free time on television.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I think Tucker will do a Bill O’Reilly and retire. He’s not a power hungry narcissist who wants to rule the world. He’s a vain grifter. The dominion texts indicated that he hated his job and his audience, seeming to only be in it for the paycheck and loyalty to Murdoch, and now he has neither.

This isn’t even a “the left has canceled me!” Murdoch ended his career. Any replacement job on a conservative network would be a downgrade, and he would in some way be aiding the man who backstabbed him. He’s done. He’ll gently caress off with his money somewhere, and host a podcast.

Edit: or go be on Russia TV.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some citizen journalism: my mom told me today that my Tuckerphile brother-in-law is absolutely melting down over the firing. He's just going to "cancel Fox News" because he doesn't understand how cable packages work I guess.