Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay, finally doing my WITB, been fun to read everyone else's:

Driver: Cobra King F9 in 9 degrees of loft, delofted to 7.5 Shaft is PX HZRDUS Smoke Yellow in Stiff Flex.

3 Wood: Cobra King F9 in 14.5 degrees of loft. Shaft is PX HZRDUS Smoke Yellow in Stiff Flex.

5 Wood. Cobra King F8 in 18.5 degrees of loft. Shaft is Fujikura ATMOS 7 in Stiff Flex.

4 Hybrid - Cobra King F9 One Length. Shaft is Fujikura ATMOS 7 One Length in Senior Flex.

5-GW - Cobra King Forged Tec One Length Irons. Shafts are all the FST KBS Stour $-Taper Lite, Stiff Flex.

SW - Cleveland RTX-3, 54 degrees w/ 12 degrees of bounce. This is my bunker and heavy rough wedge. In general, I love it.

LW - Cleveland RTX-3, 58 degrees w/ 9 degrees of bounce. I use this for shots into the green from the fairway and when I need it to stop. Ehh...I kinda wish it had more bounce in hindsight, but still working on it.

Putter - Cobra King Vintage Stringray. I actually got it from a goon here! I forget who, but I absolutely love this thing. I'll probably never get rid of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm enjoying the duo-team format of the Zurich Classic. Best ball on days 1 and 3, alternating shots on 2 and 4. Matt Fitzpatrick brought his brother Alex and they are playing pretty well, Alex has some really pretty chipping around the green.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Different sort of witb:

My buddy is getting into golf this season and I'm helping build him a bag from the cheapest deals I can find on relatively modern equipment.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic 10.5 + 2 degrees - R flex
Callaway Big Bertha - 3 hybrid
Callaway Big Bertha - 4 hybrid - might adjust the lofts up on these and remove the 5 iron depending on how far he hits that
Ping g20- 5i through SW
Odyssey white hot 7 putter

I don't think he needs a smaller player's wedge for now but maybe I can find a cheap one and see if he likes it.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Golf trip tomorrow through Thursday, should be a good time. The mild winter and heat we've had in NY has resulted in my home course already being in pretty great condition so I've been able to play a lot and get the game together pretty early.

Also I might be a bit biased as a Bills fan but this is one of the better golf youtube vids I've seen in quite a while:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfSx_CSXNmY

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Golf trip tomorrow through Thursday, should be a good time. The mild winter and heat we've had in NY has resulted in my home course already being in pretty great condition so I've been able to play a lot and get the game together pretty early.

Also I might be a bit biased as a Bills fan but this is one of the better golf youtube vids I've seen in quite a while:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfSx_CSXNmY

as they started getting drunk I expected a lot of things but definitely not fat perez pissing himself lol

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

ElGroucho posted:

I don't know why we're all shocked Tiger isn't playing well. He's old as poo poo now. His body is breaking down.

The steroids he definitely did not use in his younger days are also not helping.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ok here's my WITB for 2023.

I don't see anything else changing for a while. Just picked up the G430s a few months ago and these irons better last me forever for what I paid for them.

Headcover drip

Money shot

Ping G430 LST 10.5° OBAN Devotion Reserve 05(X) Flex 75GMS
Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15° Mitsubishi kai’li white 70 S
Ping G430 Hybrid 19° Mitsubishi kai’li white 80 X

Miura TC-201 4-PW Accra iSeries Steel-125i

50 Vokey SM8
54/58 Vokey SM7

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Balls ProV1, TP5, Vice Pro

Currently sitting at a 5.1 handicap.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

mattfl posted:

Ok here's my WITB for 2023.

I don't see anything else changing for a while. Just picked up the G430s a few months ago and these irons better last me forever for what I paid for them.

Headcover drip

Money shot

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15° Mitsubishi kai’li white 70 S
Ping G430 Hybrid 19° Mitsubishi kai’li white 80 X

Miura TC-201 4-PW Accra iSeries Steel-125i

50 Vokey SM8
54/58 Vokey SM7

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Balls ProV1, TP5, Vice Pro

Currently sitting at a 5.1 handicap.

Imagining seeing this bag at some industry sponsored scramble and thanking god we’re about to be carried.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Spitfires posted:

Different sort of witb:

My buddy is getting into golf this season and I'm helping build him a bag from the cheapest deals I can find on relatively modern equipment.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic 10.5 + 2 degrees - R flex
Callaway Big Bertha - 3 hybrid
Callaway Big Bertha - 4 hybrid - might adjust the lofts up on these and remove the 5 iron depending on how far he hits that
Ping g20- 5i through SW
Odyssey white hot 7 putter

I don't think he needs a smaller player's wedge for now but maybe I can find a cheap one and see if he likes it.

Lob wedges on general are the hardest wedge to hit and sometimes the hardest club in the bag to hit. It is for me at least and I'd call myself an okay golfer. I think it's smart to leave it out for a beginner, they need to learn to use a SW before they can realistically think about LW.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Got my first birdie today. Par 5, on the green in two, first putt to within two feet, nailed it. Followed up with a birdie* a few holes later. * because technically it was a mulligan off the tee, but still.

My WITB is basic.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik
3W: None
5W: None
4h: TaylorMade M4
5-AW: TaylorMade M4
56: TaylorMade MG3
60: TaylorMade MG2
Putter: Some Odyssey blade I found at PGA Superstore

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I love my fairway woods. How crazy would I be to go 3W 5W 7W at top of bag instead of 3W 5W 4h?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

I love my fairway woods. How crazy would I be to go 3W 5W 7W at top of bag instead of 3W 5W 4h?

My bag is driver, 3W, 5W, 7W and the 5W has gotten so consistent it has replaced the 3W as my "driver ain't working" club, and the 7W knocked my 4H out on day one.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

My bag is driver, 3W, 5W, 7W and the 5W has gotten so consistent it has replaced the 3W as my "driver ain't working" club, and the 7W knocked my 4H out on day one.

That PXG 7W is something else

Kirios posted:

7W has become my go-to club if I need something in the 200-220 range. So much more consistency than my hybrid

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I have a sand wedge and a lob wedge, but I could take the SW out of the bag. When I started golfing again I decided that I'd have only one club around the green, ever, and it's a lob wedge. Its like a part of my arm at this point and I can do basically anything with it, off any lie. I even hit it out of bunkers!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

mattfl posted:

Did you game the 425 LST before the 430? How do you think they compare?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Did you game the 425 LST before the 430? How do you think they compare?

I had the 410 LST before actually. I can say without a doubt I have gained yardage and my dispersion has been much better but whether that's due to the club or what I fixed in my swing is hard to determine.

Now a friend I play with who is similar skill level has the 425 and went and hit the 430 on a simulator and saw really no noticiable or worthwhile difference.

I'd say if you currently game the 430, wait one more generation unless you can get the 430 for a steal.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Oban, like the scotch? They make shafts? Wow

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I've played 7 or 8 rounds this year. Two, I couldn't consistently strike the ball. Two, I could not dial in putting. No overlap in those rounds, it was either bad striking OR bad putting.

Three rounds with putting on fire, ball striking just impeccable. One day with wind steady at 20 mph, gusts up to 40, nailed fairways, decent at greens in reg, but great putting, shot a 77. One day on freshly aerated greens, fast and bumpy with the top dressing, breezy, but OK, shot 6 over on the front just due to good putts not falling, 2 over on the back. Today, greens aerated yesterday, 39/39. One second putt over 4 feet.

Cannot loving figure out the difference. Cold? Yeah, one of the good rounds. Windy? Yeah, one of the good rounds. Bad greens? Yeah. loving golf.

Edit: Bag. 6-GW Cobra F7, fujikura 63i stiff. 5i, Mamiya stiff.
54 degree Vokey, M08.
Cleveland Niblick, 42 degrees.
Cobra Speedzone driver, set at 9.5 degrees, hzrdus stiff.
3W TaylorMade M2, 65i stiff.
5W PXG 0211, project x stiff, tipped for high ball flight, +1/2 inch shaft length.
7W PXG 0211, project x stiff.
Boccieri Golf Tour B3 Heavy Putter.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 24, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I wish some of y'all golf goons lived in the PNW so I could do a round. I feel like everyone is in either Texas or Florida.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

I wish some of y'all golf goons lived in the PNW so I could do a round. I feel like everyone is in either Texas or Florida.

I'm right between you in the Denver area.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

We actually have really solid golf here in central Ohio if anygoon is ever here for some reason

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I live in central Ohio, name one good course!!!!

Edit: also this was a joke

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i got fitted into some new mizunos (I think 223s, my washing machine ate my receipt), now just gotta wait for the delivery. hopefully it's not too long :ohdear:

Driver is a Stealth+ at 9.0, new shaft that I got when I did my iron fitting is a Mitsubishi Kai’li White. Was only $100 bucks since I spent so much on the irons, it feels different than my old stock shaft and hopefully that's good? Haven't hit it enough to really find out. The one round I played I hit a couple of drives that felt not great off the face but flew really far and pretty straight so I guess that's a good sign.

I'm in Denver too!

Also on 7W’s - check out Heavenwoods from Callaway if you haven’t tried em, it’s a 7w loft on a 3w shaft or something like that. I love mine (most days), it gaps well between my 3w and 4h and generally holds greens better than either

wyoak fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 25, 2023

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Today’s story is a story if me being an idiot.

I bought a used Ping G410 plus from a guy for $200, and met him at a pga tour superstore to do the pickup. He didn’t have the wrench for it so I thought I’d just run in and grab one.

Ask if they sell the ping torque wrenches and their like, “ sorry, we just sell a universal torque wrench, but it works great.”

$10 later I’m on my way home(about a 40 minute drive).

Get home and thought I’d reset the driver to just stock settings before I try it. Loosen the screw, realign the tip, and tighten it down. I’ve only had a couple of these adjustable clubs in the past and they’ve always seemed like you gotta torque em fairly hard before the wrench slips.

So I’m tightening and trying m getting to the point where I’m like, ‘this is too much’ when TING, the screw snaps. F my life.

Call the shop and was like , ‘hey I’m an idiot, I used this torque wrench you sold me and twisted way too hard but it didn’t slip so I broke the screw.’

Brought it in the next day and the guy tested it out on one of their clubs and to my relief, nearly busted that club too. Immediately knew it was faulty. Goes back and says ‘hmmm, we don’t have any of those shafts, you want an X or a regular?’ Nope. ‘Hmmm, we’ll I can take that tip off and put a new one on for you, but it’s gonna be like a couple days.

I kind of sigh and reply, ‘dang, I have a golf trip I’m leaving for on Wednesday and I’m like an hour drive from here if there’s traffic.

He nods, walks out onto the floor and grabs a brand new G410, pulls the shaft on it, and puts it on my head. Then he hands me a brand new Ping torque wrench. ‘You’re all set, see you later.’

Pretty great customer service if you ask me, and I’m pretty relieved to get a new shaft cause who knows if I F’d the shaft up when that screw snapped. Definitely could have been like, ‘you’ll have to call company X who makes the wrench and see if they’ll pay for a replacement shaft’.

So yeah, don’t use cheap torque wrenches on your adjustable clubs folks.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

wyoak posted:

I'm in Denver too!

I play on the Golden/Lakewood side. Fossil Trace, Raccoon Creek, Foothills.

Any time we want a goon match, I can probably make arrangements to be free.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I love a good WITB.

Driver: Cobra LTDx LS, 9*, Evenflow Riptide CB 50g shaft in regular :q:
3w: PXG 0211 15* in Project X Cypher 50g 6.0...regular :q:
3h: Nickent 4DX 20* ...once again in regular.
4-9 Irons: King Cobra Forged CB/MB. 4-5 CB & 6-9 MB. Shafts are Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120, ±1/4”.
PW: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 46*
50/54/58: Cleveland RTX 4
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Copper 34"
Ball: Whatever premium ball is on sale. Currently it's 3 dozen 2022 Pro V1s I got from Carl's Golfland for $80 because they painted over corporate logos with massive black dots.

I bought an autoflex shaft in 2021, and while I'm not pro-level bomber, I'm longer than most people you'll run into at the local muni. I probably gained 15 more yards, but a very ugly hook was introduced into my driving, so I was good for at least 1 OB tee ball per round. I sold it to a buddy but still missed it.

I watched a review of autoflex-like shafts, and this Evenflow Riptide CB shaft had all of the same characteristics and was...$120 instead of $800. I'm a big fan.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kirios posted:

I'm in Idaho, but I also just started this month and am therefore terrible.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Any time we want a goon match, I can probably make arrangements to be free.

Nice there is three of us then. I live north, closer to Boulder but mostly play Willis Case and City Park as they are nice and cheap.

My bags is a mess and will continue to be:

Driver - Callaway X2Hot 10* with some generic xstiff
3 wood - Callaway X2Hot 13.5*
Hybrid - Callaway Apex Uwood 19*
3 iron - Titleist 712u 21* with a xstiff hybrid staff
5-PW - Sub70 799 Pros with KBS 130s
52* - Nike Engage
54* - Haywood Golf
58* - Nike Engage
Putter - Nike Method

I have as much fun tinkering with my bag as I do playing golf these days

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

DoctaFun posted:

Today’s story is a story if me being an idiot.

I bought a used Ping G410 plus from a guy for $200, and met him at a pga tour superstore to do the pickup. He didn’t have the wrench for it so I thought I’d just run in and grab one.

Ask if they sell the ping torque wrenches and their like, “ sorry, we just sell a universal torque wrench, but it works great.”

$10 later I’m on my way home(about a 40 minute drive).

Get home and thought I’d reset the driver to just stock settings before I try it. Loosen the screw, realign the tip, and tighten it down. I’ve only had a couple of these adjustable clubs in the past and they’ve always seemed like you gotta torque em fairly hard before the wrench slips.

So I’m tightening and trying m getting to the point where I’m like, ‘this is too much’ when TING, the screw snaps. F my life.

Call the shop and was like , ‘hey I’m an idiot, I used this torque wrench you sold me and twisted way too hard but it didn’t slip so I broke the screw.’

Brought it in the next day and the guy tested it out on one of their clubs and to my relief, nearly busted that club too. Immediately knew it was faulty. Goes back and says ‘hmmm, we don’t have any of those shafts, you want an X or a regular?’ Nope. ‘Hmmm, we’ll I can take that tip off and put a new one on for you, but it’s gonna be like a couple days.

I kind of sigh and reply, ‘dang, I have a golf trip I’m leaving for on Wednesday and I’m like an hour drive from here if there’s traffic.

He nods, walks out onto the floor and grabs a brand new G410, pulls the shaft on it, and puts it on my head. Then he hands me a brand new Ping torque wrench. ‘You’re all set, see you later.’

Pretty great customer service if you ask me, and I’m pretty relieved to get a new shaft cause who knows if I F’d the shaft up when that screw snapped. Definitely could have been like, ‘you’ll have to call company X who makes the wrench and see if they’ll pay for a replacement shaft’.

So yeah, don’t use cheap torque wrenches on your adjustable clubs folks.

Someone’s looking out for you, that’s amazing customer service.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kameh posted:

I love a good WITB.

Driver: Cobra LTDx LS, 9*, Evenflow Riptide CB 50g shaft in regular :q:
3w: PXG 0211 15* in Project X Cypher 50g 6.0...regular :q:
3h: Nickent 4DX 20* ...once again in regular.
4-9 Irons: King Cobra Forged CB/MB. 4-5 CB & 6-9 MB. Shafts are Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120, ±1/4”.
PW: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 46*
50/54/58: Cleveland RTX 4
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Copper 34"
Ball: Whatever premium ball is on sale. Currently it's 3 dozen 2022 Pro V1s I got from Carl's Golfland for $80 because they painted over corporate logos with massive black dots.

I bought an autoflex shaft in 2021, and while I'm not pro-level bomber, I'm longer than most people you'll run into at the local muni. I probably gained 15 more yards, but a very ugly hook was introduced into my driving, so I was good for at least 1 OB tee ball per round. I sold it to a buddy but still missed it.

I watched a review of autoflex-like shafts, and this Evenflow Riptide CB shaft had all of the same characteristics and was...$120 instead of $800. I'm a big fan.

Nice, fellow Cobra guy. I swear by their driver / fairway woods and honestly their forged irons are a great bang for your buck. I think we're the only ones I saw here there use more than a Cobra driver.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
As a 53 year old 18 handicap with terrible knee issues, my bad is a little different. I was a 23 two years ago, and learning how to play within my limits has gone a long way. Also a former hockey player, and I can still carry 240 with a driver.

Driver ping g425 set to 11 degrees. Helps keep the ball in play

4 wood Calloway speed. Great club, easier to hit and controll than a three wood

7 wood. Hits 200 yards and doesn't roll out much

4, 5, 6 ping g425 hybrids. Easy to hit, inspires lots of confidence.

7, 8, 9, PW, gap wedge. Taylor made sim2 max with weak lofts. Love these, but will probably replace soon

These next two are new this year. If you play these, then you have takien the ego out of your game which is something more people should do.

SW Calloway smart sole 58 degree. I love this club,. Impossible for me to mess up too badly, great for high handicaps like me who just wants to get the ball out of the sand every time and need high loft club around the greens

Chipper : Calloway smart sole chipper. This thing takes all the stress of hitting bump and runs. Whenever I'm near the greens I take this and my SW and there is nothing I can take on.

Putter. Some odessy thing I got fitted for.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
WITB
Driver : Cobra RAD Speed 9* Fujikura Motore X F1 6-X
3w : Steelhead XR Tensei CK 55 S Flex
3i : 19.5* -1 Cobra Utility Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
4h : 22* Nicklaus MV-20 salvaged from an abandoned car. This. club is awesome.
4i-p : Mizuno MP-20 MMC KBS S-Taper 120
GW : 50*/10 Cleveland RTX 4
SW : 56*/12 Calloway MD3 milled W Grind
LW : 60*/07 Titleist Vokey SM 4
PUTTER: Odyssey Versa 330m Mallett (I've got my eye on one of the Cobra 3D printed putters, though)

HEADCOVER : sick "realistic" snake head, lol

15 clubs! Depending on how I'm feeling and the course, I switch out either the 60* or the 3 wood.

Baby brother got me some loot from the Masters

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I'm picking up two K grind 2.0 miura wedges tomorrow for 225. Facebook marketplace steal of the year for me. Local guy tried to start up his own independent fitting studio and is selling off all his stock after it didn't take off.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Infomaniac posted:

WITB
Driver : Cobra RAD Speed 9* Fujikura Motore X F1 6-X
3w : Steelhead XR Tensei CK 55 S Flex
3i : 19.5* -1 Cobra Utility Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
4h : 22* Nicklaus MV-20 salvaged from an abandoned car. This. club is awesome.
4i-p : Mizuno MP-20 MMC KBS S-Taper 120
GW : 50*/10 Cleveland RTX 4
SW : 56*/12 Calloway MD3 milled W Grind
LW : 60*/07 Titleist Vokey SM 4
PUTTER: Odyssey Versa 330m Mallett (I've got my eye on one of the Cobra 3D printed putters, though)

HEADCOVER : sick "realistic" snake head, lol

15 clubs! Depending on how I'm feeling and the course, I switch out either the 60* or the 3 wood.

Baby brother got me some loot from the Masters

Dude that head cover rules. I love it, where did you get it?!

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007

Kirios posted:

Dude that head cover rules. I love it, where did you get it?!

Thanks. AMAZON. I searched for realistic head cover. I get a few comments about it here and there. I dig it and it covers the Cobra, so it makes sense.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Which is exactly why I want it - it's going right on top of my Cobra driver.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BRB moving to Seoul https://www.instagram.com/reel/CretacDMDZT/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

:piss:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hey man if you want a roommate I'll split costs with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
WITB for now:

Driver : TM Stealth set to 8.5* w/ UST Elements Gold 6F5 X-Flex shaft
3W : TIM SIM 15* w/ UST Elements Gold 7F5 X-Flex shaft
3h : Callaway Rogue ST Pro 20* with stock X-flex shaft that I need to swap out with one of my better hybrid shafts at some point. This club occasionally gets swapped out for a Titlist TDI 2i.
4i-PW : Srixon Z785s with Nippon Modus Tour3 130 shafts, X-Flex
GW : 50* Vokey SM9
SW : 55* Vokey SM9
LW : 60* Vokey SM8
PUTTER: Random Cleveland Huntington Beach thing I won in a charity tournament's putting contest and put in my bag last year after getting annoyed at my fancy custom Toulon center-shafted putter.

Bag: New Vessel Player IV Pro stand bag. This bag is basically perfect in every way, but I only bought it because I got hooked up with an insane deal on it. I know everything got more expensive over the last few years, but $200 used to get you a very nice golf bag and now it's double that. Insane.