Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

Is Alfred going to the the secret half brother…

I think he is the secret half brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Special half-price day-old Vargo comics!

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

https://twitter.com/OfficialTAZ/status/1381267764866863105?s=20

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Maybe he's been spending it down over the years, and has brought back the change from the large bills he originally inherited. Or he made a loan to someone and got new bills when it was paid back. Or many other reasons. :colbert:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Stone Age Caper

The end of a really dumb adventure! Next time: The Puppet Master

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 24, 2023

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think he is the secret half brother.

Did I forget to type the word "be"...

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sandwiches are beautiful. :allears:

Powered Descent posted:

Wallace the Brave
The gulls are the best in Wallace. :3:

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

God bless you.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
As a guy who doesn't even go here, I am heartened to hear that this pathetic loser who should've died has only survived to die even harder.

But speaking more broadly, why the gently caress are so many newspaper comics about old people with sad and pathetic lives? It's like a Funkyverse contagion. I know the audience for these things is ancient, but are they that intent on wallowing in all the unpleasant aspects of growing old to the exclusion of anything positive that comes from wisdom and experience?

I'm on the early precipice of middle age myself and I don't get it. You would think they'd want something else to chuckle over a bowl of oatmeal in the morning than "death is near, your friends are dropping like flies by the day, and your kids will never see you except on Christmas."

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 24, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

WHAT?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (May 24, 1935)

Peanuts (April 26, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 23, 1939)

Out Our Way (August 18-21, 1941)

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I choose to believe it's the version that's briefly mashed up into this famous ditty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Playing on the multiple meanings of "stars" as astronomical objects or celebrities.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Take Nu-Nancy away from Olivia and give it to whomever does The Creeps, and just let them do the same jokes but with Nancy and Sluggo.

A+J

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
In retrospect Sonny's expression here is pretty telling.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pancho Jueves posted:

Playing on the multiple meanings of "stars" as astronomical objects or celebrities.

Yeah but are they even pretending to be vikings anymore?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I hate that the Webcomic T-Shirt market collapsed and John Allison never offered "MEAT RAFFLE" or "DIRT MEN" threads

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

Most of the time Compu-Toon slides off my eyes and brain like oil on a hot pan, but then I see one like this and just have to dwell on it.

What?

Calvin's dad is the kind of guy who rides his bike on 55 MPH county roads with no shoulder, guaranteed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

N/m it was addressed earlier.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

JethroMcB posted:

Most of the time Compu-Toon slides off my eyes and brain like oil on a hot pan, but then I see one like this and just have to dwell on it.

What?

it's just a grown man hatefully poo poo-talking a child. Perfect strip, no notes.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

amigolupus posted:

IIRC, being domesticated means an animal has lost all their instincts (i.e. Predators lose their ability to hunt, prey are no longer quite so paranoid of getting eaten) as well as making them more subservient and willing to please their owner/boss. Holbrook being Holbrook, he can't decide if the strip treats domestication as an allegory for being gay and in the closet or some kind of learning disability. There was even a strip where a bunch of domesticated animals came together to have a big march to show support for one another.

If you read domestication as an allegory for being gay, the strip that you quoted becomes gross because Dorothy just told her closeted grandson to show off his secret on television, and it didn't matter because everyone in their neighborhood already suspected him of being gay/domesticated.

But what makes domestication complete nonsense as an allegory are two things: One, there were a bunch of strips about how having a bunch of humans who got sent to Hellworld like Danielle or some fan OCs were somehow causing a huge swath of animals to become domesticated just by being in their world. Even when they resolved the number of "allowed" humans to exist in Hellworld, the rest of the affected animals remain domesticated.

See, your problem is that you expect consistency in Hell World. Domestication is an allegory for anything Holbrook wants at that specific moment, the end. Everything that's an allegory for our world that Holbrook can hamfistedly put to paper, is an allegory for literally anything in our world, often multiple things at different points. There's no thematic consistency and there never will be

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/6/50

Betty Learns About Negging 3/10-12/47

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Powered Descent posted:

I choose to believe it's the version that's briefly mashed up into this famous ditty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4

Now Is Time For Caek! :D

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Holy crap, that's an actual song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJLLVrKLYF4

Also,

Hippocrass posted:

Why is the plant mom jerking off her plant son?

His arms must be broken

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mondayvargo.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

And yesterday's Curtis because my script to grab yesterday's strips in my earlier post somehow grabbed today's, how did that get there help I am not good with computer

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

JethroMcB posted:

I hate that the Webcomic T-Shirt market collapsed and John Allison never offered "MEAT RAFFLE" or "DIRT MEN" threads

He never did "The Tackleford Wine Club for Men" shirts either. :(

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Everybody remembers the late lamented Al Jaffee's Mad work, including the Fold-Ins and the Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions book, the latter of which played an important role in making smart-alecky kids like me even more insufferable.

But did you know Jaffee also had a newspaper comic? Tall Tales was a wordless gag panel that ran from 1958 to 1963. The gimmick was the different orientation of the strip -- it was drawn in portrait, rather than landscape, style, taking up about half a newspaper column.

Here's a handful of randomly chosen Tall Tales strips for your enjoyment. Feels like there's a definite Charles Addams influence there.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 25, 2023

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Unless there's more people unable to see my comics than have mentioned it, imgpile.com has been working great for me as an Imgur replacement.

For what it's worth, Retail disappears maybe a third of the time and Popcorn almost never comes through. I appreciate your posting though, and I read enough Retail during its first run.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Selachian posted:

Everybody remembers the late lamented Al Jaffee's Mad work, including the Fold-Ins and the Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions book, the latter of which played an important role in making smart-alecky kids like me even more insufferable.

But did you know Jaffee also had a newspaper comic? Tall Tales was a wordless gag panel that ran from 1958 to 1963. The gimmick was the different orientation of the strip -- it was drawn in portrait, rather than landscape, style, taking up about half a newspaper column.

Here's a handful of randomly chosen Tall Tales strips for your enjoyment.

There was a book collecting those strips, with Stephen Colbert even writing an introduction for it. You can find used copies around

Al Jaffee is always worth sharing. Just sayin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

:discourse: