Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, also the sheer number of distinct biome/climate regions and the how they merge into each other so gracefully is wizard poo poo. There's like half a dozen distinct versions of forest in the game and walking between them never feels unnatural even for a moment, even though it kind of...should?? if you get my drift.

I'm a Decima believer.

haveblue posted:

They use a lot of procedural tools to place foliage, it’s probably not hard for a computer to alter the distribution of different plant types based on nearby region boundaries

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, but procedural terrain and foliage are features of many engines and not all do it half as well as Horizon.

I’m really looking forward to Kojima’s implementation of the current Decima build. Gonna rule.

Actually this video on the procedural placement system for horizon answers all of these questions, I’m sure they’ve iterated and improved on this system for forbidden west, but it’s probably about the same as far as we’re concerned
Edit: around like 18 minutes he shows off what it looks like placing specific assets then changing the ‘biome’ type, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToCozpl1sYY

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kazzah posted:

Turn on your monitor (so you can see your own posts)

I'm trying, but every time I turn it on my Fail (F) has apparently increased, and my sum of Possible Hours Slept (PHS) has diminished.

I've already cast Aura and reduced my HP to critical, where is my sleeping limit break when I need it?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I would advise not using your sleeping limit break, I’ve heard that gives you the Death status effect.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:slick: [Learned Enemy Skill: Death Sentence]

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

It’s a combination of things and it’s a bit hard for me to explain without using photographic terms since that’s my background. Basically, the game is designed to render a high level of detail across the full exposure range, which fine, but it also wants to keep characters exposed between zone 5 and 6 at all times regardless of whether they are in shadow or sun, which would also be fine on its own, but the two things together result in a really unnatural presentation of light. Generally, if you want to expose a character who is in shadow at zone 6, but they’re standing in front of heavy sunlight, you’d either use a low contrast aesthetic or allow detail loss in the highlights. Horizon instead increases contrast in the highlights to retain detail, which results in a bit of a noisy image at times. The inverse happens when the subject is in direct light but near shadowed locations.

Combine that with the vibrant materials and the fact that they chose to have really hot kicker lights follow Aloy at all times and you get an image that is very loud in a way that feels artificial. It kind of falls into a lot of the aesthetic “flaws” (subjective, some people enjoy the look) as a lot of amateur landscape photography.

The last A Plague Tale game in the island segments would be a good example of portraying vibrant environments in a more natural style.

Not that HFW’s approach can’t work. Ragnarok does things in a similar fashion, but paired with the more subdued palettes and quasi-cartoony style, it works better (for me).

Tl;dr, the game has weird tonal mapping due to how they chose to handle the digital exposure. It’s all a taste thing too.

Thanks for the effort post! I knew about the "hero lighting" they used since its something they and others brought up in interviews/tech videos but I never really thought about its effect on the scene and environment lighting. I'm one who likes the look of it but it's interesting to hear how that approach doesn't work for some people in more technical terms!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, also the sheer number of distinct biome/climate regions and the how they merge into each other so gracefully is wizard poo poo. There's like half a dozen distinct versions of forest in the game and walking between them never feels unnatural even for a moment, even though it kind of...should?? if you get my drift.

I'm a Decima believer.

Horizon deserves so much praise for the setting(freaking robo dinosaurs), combat being so great for an open world but I do think it's biggest strength is the technicals. It looks and runs so well for an open world game. I barely ever noticed any pop in, frame rate issues and this all goes back to their engine. Like no one ever brings up Killzone but Guerilla have always been the masters of visuals, that Killzone 2 E3 trailer was legendary back in the day. I remember playing KZ3, one of the few times I was blown away by visuals on console, usually that happened on a high end pc.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I mean, the Killzone 2 trailer was also complete bullshit, so there’s a reason people don’t really remember that as a strong point.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

I cannot sleeeeeeeeeeep. Why is this so hard?

:negative:

This is my secret sauce.

https://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/products/nighty-night-extra-tea

Enjoy the dreams

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bugblatter posted:

It’s a combination of things and it’s a bit hard for me to explain without using photographic terms since that’s my background. Basically, the game is designed to render a high level of detail across the full exposure range, which fine, but it also wants to keep characters exposed between zone 5 and 6 at all times regardless of whether they are in shadow or sun, which would also be fine on its own, but the two things together result in a really unnatural presentation of light. Generally, if you want to expose a character who is in shadow at zone 6, but they’re standing in front of heavy sunlight, you’d either use a low contrast aesthetic or allow detail loss in the highlights. Horizon instead increases contrast in the highlights to retain detail, which results in a bit of a noisy image at times. The inverse happens when the subject is in direct light but near shadowed locations.

Combine that with the vibrant materials and the fact that they chose to have really hot kicker lights follow Aloy at all times and you get an image that is very loud in a way that feels artificial. It kind of falls into a lot of the aesthetic “flaws” (subjective, some people enjoy the look) as a lot of amateur landscape photography.

The last A Plague Tale game in the island segments would be a good example of portraying vibrant environments in a more natural style.

Not that HFW’s approach can’t work. Ragnarok does things in a similar fashion, but paired with the more subdued palettes and quasi-cartoony style, it works better (for me).

Tl;dr, the game has weird tonal mapping due to how they chose to handle the digital exposure. It’s all a taste thing too.

Also want to say this is a really good post that I enjoyed reading

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Personally I enjoy the vibrant hypersaturated visuals of Horizon because I was raised on God's greatest console, the Sega Dreamcast.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dewgy posted:

I mean, the Killzone 2 trailer was also complete bullshit, so there’s a reason people don’t really remember that as a strong point.

Yeah, it was more infamous than legendary, but they kinda had the last laugh as Killzone 2 really did get a lot closer to it than most people probably were expecting

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/message-from-guerrilla-studio-management

speculation on my part, i think this is further movement towards Hulst leading SIE after Ryan (he currently is head of Playstation Studios)

edit;

and the tone of this says to me that Shu might retire soon. maybe fair to say that by the time Keigh3 is done and FF16 is on the market that PS5 lifecycle will be entering a new phase

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2023/apr/24/shuhei-yoshida-playstation-video-games-sony-bafta-fellowship-award

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 24, 2023

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That first supposition sounds reasonable, but Yoshida is only 59, and still seems pretty into what he's doing.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That said, Hulst has been pretty supportive of the future of live service games and Yoshida recently said he thinks that kind of future sounds boring to him.

e: lol, oh, both of those bits of information are in that actual article, which I would have known if I had read it immediately and not just gone "huh, how old is Shuhei Yoshida, anyway?"

Fix fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 24, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

gently caress live service games

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Even the smooth brain executives have to know the future of live service games are DOA.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Palmtree Panic posted:

Even the smooth brain executives have to know the future of live service games are DOA.

They won’t stop trying until well after Fortnite stops printing money for Epic, if that ever happens

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Service games are a winner-take-most market. Their future is bleak, but only for the 99% of competitors that'll lose. The remaining 1% will have money printing machines and that's incentive enough for every publisher with the capital to risk a swing at it. The risk is only lower for new entrants with established platforms like Sony, they have a lot of power to funnel players toward their game and jump-start the playerbase.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The service games market is already done. Young people play Fortnite. Oorah tactical dorks play Warzone. People who think they're hot poo poo PVPers play Apex. People who like weird sci fi poo poo and RPG number go up play Destiny. There are no people left to attract, you have to wait for one of those to make a big misstep and implode

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

haveblue posted:

The service games market is already done. Young people play Fortnite. Oorah tactical dorks play Warzone. People who think they're hot poo poo PVPers play Apex. People who like weird sci fi poo poo and RPG number go up play Destiny. There are no people left to attract, you have to wait for one of those to make a big misstep and implode

not true, GTAO attracts five year olds AND guys so high they can't drive in a straight line

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

The service games market is already done. Young people play Fortnite. Oorah tactical dorks play Warzone. People who think they're hot poo poo PVPers play Apex. People who like weird sci fi poo poo and RPG number go up play Destiny.

It's never done, these games are all single digit years old and could be overthrown. Entertainment is a frothy industry. Heck, Warzone got its position by eating PUBG's lunch. I don't think anyone would've confidently bet that Apex would be a winner when it launched.

haveblue posted:

There are no people left to attract, you have to wait for one of those to make a big misstep and implode

Which isn't a bad strategy if your pockets are deep enough. Bing has been a laughingstock for years but at this moment you have to assume MS feels awfully smug about keeping it around.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

Sure, though the trick is having something far enough along in development that can pivot immediately to the whims of that audience and release at the precise moment that one of the big games falters. Or at least that's probably what new entrants are counting on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Also, that GG post is the first confirmation of Horizon 3

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Sony really has carved out an interesting niche of big blockbuster singleplayer titles that actually release with a decent timeline. Live service games are such a money pit, I mean maybe 5 years ago it would have been lucrative to compete with Fortnite, but now? You'll have to spend 80% of your initial investment on marketing alone to even dent something like that. It's like trying to compete with World of Warcraft in 2008, no one is moving to your game when all of your friends are still heavily invested in the old one. It has to be genre-defining.

If Sony can find a way to continue their first-party studio scaling, they can start pump out multiple AAA singleplayer games every year. I mean, Uncharted, Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon, Days Gone, and Last of Us within the last 5 years is already very impressive.

I guess the main point of my post is: Jedi: Fallen Order is a good game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Wasn't there a post last week from a Sony company that just cryptically said "Monday"? Did something already get announced that wasn't that big, did I miss someone mentioning it?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yeah! But some people feel like it's being over-sold apparently? I dunno. It's a slightly above average action game that gets a huge enjoyment boost from people who love Star Wars bullshit. As an enjoyer of Jedi Knight, this was a good 80% of what I was looking for in a lightsaber go swish swoosh game.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I like Souls combat enough that even when if the execution is "just okay" it's still preferable to many other combat systems. I also like the weird frontier locations of Star Wars, when it feels most like an old Moebius comic. Plus I like delving into old tombs like in Tomb Raider, and extinct alien tombs are even cooler.

So, I thought Fallen Order was neat, if very uneven and unpolished. So, I'm hyped for Survivor.

I'm not hyped that it's releasing on Friday because I don't really play games on weekends though. I thought it was a Wednesday release until a few minutes ago, what a rude surprise.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Also, that GG post is the first confirmation of Horizon 3

I mean, the end of Horizon 2 was kinda a confirmation of Horizon 3.

Morpheus posted:

Wasn't there a post last week from a Sony company that just cryptically said "Monday"? Did something already get announced that wasn't that big, did I miss someone mentioning it?

It was Bend.

Nothing posted by them today, though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fix posted:

I mean, the end of Horizon 2 was kinda a confirmation of Horizon 3.

No doubt, I guess I just meant production cycle or whatev, now that Burning Shores is out. Also, has GG talked about the multiplayer title at all or was it leaked by another outlet?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hulst talked about a “promising multiplayer title” but there’s been no official reveal. Everything outside of that has been a leak.

Also, it’s not GG themselves developing it, but another more recent Sony acquisition, iirc.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Hulst talked about a “promising multiplayer title” but there’s been no official reveal. Everything outside of that has been a leak.

Also, it’s not GG themselves developing it, but another more recent Sony acquisition, iirc.

Hmmm, interesting then that the GG notice would mention it then

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hmmm, interesting then that the GG notice would mention it then

Could be a collaborative development since it’s their IP, or the leak could be wrong, or I could just not be recalling correctly.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Ya it was pure cgi but people thought it was in game at the time lol. Crazy if you look at it now it looks meh even the artstyle was not that good but I think KZ3 definitely still looks decent.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

KZ3 really did look and feel incredible to play. Sound design was awesome too. I’d love to see another game in the series but I don’t expect it unless it’s from a different developer and well, that wouldn’t fill me with much confidence considering how important the Guerrilla Games DNA is to the series.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Don't think too hard about these things

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Don't think too hard about these things

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Taking a post moment to appreciate how good Bloodborne is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Cardboard Fox posted:

Sony really has carved out an interesting niche of big blockbuster singleplayer titles that actually release with a decent timeline. Live service games are such a money pit, I mean maybe 5 years ago it would have been lucrative to compete with Fortnite, but now? You'll have to spend 80% of your initial investment on marketing alone to even dent something like that. It's like trying to compete with World of Warcraft in 2008, no one is moving to your game when all of your friends are still heavily invested in the old one. It has to be genre-defining.

If Sony can find a way to continue their first-party studio scaling, they can start pump out multiple AAA singleplayer games every year. I mean, Uncharted, Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon, Days Gone, and Last of Us within the last 5 years is already very impressive.

I would hope so but Sony is determined to have their live service game(s) come hell or high water.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Bloodborne remaster but now there’s gear score and purps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Bloodborne remaster but now there’s gear score and purps

gained fifty insight reading this post