Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Didn't they try that already and this was the result?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEtjaZ8ZuNU

E: For context this is a prime time show on one of the 3 commercial channels in the 2010ish or just after Michael Jackson died.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Enjoying that the embedded video is blocked but I know exactly what it is

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

EoinCannon posted:

Now Phillip Adams is someone who I will legitimately mourn when he dies
There's probably heaps of stuff I never heard of, I mean he worked for the Labor party and in the film industry, but I liked his radio show and he generally seemed to have good opinions and a sense of humour

yeah I love LNL on RN, it's been on my arvo commute for years now and is still as sort of provoking and comforting as ever

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

spaceblancmange posted:

rip barry humpries

Well I don't want to pile on.... ahh gently caress it, let's pile on the old pedos

https://blog.donnawilliams.net/2014/10/11/barry-humphries-pedophilia-and-bell-street-preston/

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chrpno posted:

Well I don't want to pile on.... ahh gently caress it, let's pile on the old pedos

https://blog.donnawilliams.net/2014/10/11/barry-humphries-pedophilia-and-bell-street-preston/

Jesus that's rough reading

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Reading that made me feel sick. I can't possibly imagine how sickening and traumatic it might feel for his victims to hear all the media praise going on at the moment.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

webmeister posted:

Enjoying that the embedded video is blocked but I know exactly what it is

I'm not even an Aussie and I know what it is.

Chrpno posted:

:barf:

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 24, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

EoinCannon posted:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Chrpno posted:

And they wanna give this oval office a state funeral?

:suicide:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

EoinCannon posted:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

SecretOfSteel posted:

Sounds like he would have been perfect for the inevitable Hey Hey Its Saturday reunion, cos while boomers breathe that show will never die.

I've said this before.

But when Hey Hey died the first time, all my friends were celebrating and reveling in it's death.

Even though I hadn't watched it for years, I was appalled at them. "Were you never 12?", I asked them. "Do you not have fond memories of watching the man be mean to the silly people on red faces when you were a child?" I would say.

Then it got re-booted, and I saw it again through adult eyes. And I found out that I was wrong and they were right.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I've said this before.

But when Hey Hey died the first time, all my friends were celebrating and reveling in it's death.

Even though I hadn't watched it for years, I was appalled at them. "Were you never 12?", I asked them. "Do you not have fond memories of watching the man be mean to the silly people on red faces when you were a child?" I would say.

Then it got re-booted, and I saw it again through adult eyes. And I found out that I was wrong and they were right.

Ah, have I got some of those wacky Kamahl appearances on Hey Hey to show to you!

note: don't unless you like feeling very uncomfortable

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

SecretOfSteel posted:

Ah, have I got some of those wacky Kamahl appearances on Hey Hey to show to you!

note: don't unless you like feeling very uncomfortable

Fun fact: I have actually met Kamahl.

Many decades ago in the late 70s when I was just a wee lad, (like very young, maybe 2 or 3 at the most), there were very few Indian/Sri Lankan families in Melbourne. So, when he was doing a tour or something, my dad was one of the people that was sourced to organize a home cooked meal for the velvet voiced crooner.

Which meant that my family, (and bloody well half the Indian immigrants in Melbourne), went round to the home of a family friend of ours to have dinner with Kamahl. And it is something I lord over my brother, (for he wasn't born yet), that Kamahl and I played together and shared some Dosa and Sambar, whilst he didn't.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I've said this before.

I think I liked the idea of Hey Hey much better than the show itself. Yes there absolutely should be a free form live show where there's comedy and bands and stupid stuff, just not.... that.

If I try hard I can't really remember anything funny or good or memorable that happened on that show. Yet I can recite whole sketches from Fast Forward or the D Generation

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I reckon Kamahl was (is?) a good bloke, and put up with a lot of poo poo, but goddamn if he didn't make the lamest music known to man.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hey Hey had 1 good moment and that was TISM

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bit of alright in Vic last night

https://twitter.com/DanielAndrewsMP/status/1650405243027595264

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chrpno posted:

I think I liked the idea of Hey Hey much better than the show itself. Yes there absolutely should be a free form live show where there's comedy and bands and stupid stuff, just not.... that.

If I try hard I can't really remember anything funny or good or memorable that happened on that show. Yet I can recite whole sketches from Fast Forward or the D Generation

I mostly remember Pluck-a-duck and that one 'I'm Not Amused' song with the stereotypical schoolmaster.

Variety shows seem fun in theory but in practice it's hard to name one that hasn't aged like milk if it was any good in the first place. And now we just have YouTube and TikTok and so on.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
The only time I liked Hey Hey was when it was a Saturday morning cartoon show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lolie posted:

Wait, when was that a thing? :stare:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey hey hey, it's Fat Albert

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I have a vague memory of a cartoon version but google doesn't show anything.

Maybe they had like an animated opening?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

No filter, just a 1 minute exposure so everything looks like it's from Myst.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I have a vague memory of a cartoon version but google doesn't show anything.

Maybe they had like an animated opening?

I always thought those live-action shows with animated intros were terrible false advertising. The Nanny maybe gets a pass.

Also, no Steamed Hams jokes?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Lolie posted:

Same.

Then The Wide World of Sports came on at midday I think, and that was it for the cartoons.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Lolie posted:

I have a distant memory of this being real?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oooooh not a cartoon, a show with cartoons. Like Saturday Disnep

"Premiering on 9 October 1971,[8] Hey Hey It's Saturday was a Saturday morning children's program in which Somers and Carroll provided "top and tail" segments between cartoon episodes. Due to the freedom afforded by its low-priority timeslot, the team was able to develop the comedic aspects of the show and the cartoon segments were eventually phased-out in favour of the live performances."

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

“Do you not have fond memories of watching the man be mean to the silly people on red faces when you were a child?" I would say.

The manager of my first office was a dead ringer for Red Symonds and he was an absolute fuckwit so this tracks

Will never forget the time he had someone up against a wall, yelling “just loving fix it or I’ll cut your loving balls off”. Quality workplace!

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

The only presenter of cartoons in my book is Sophie Lee

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Chrpno posted:

The only presenter of cartoons in my book is Sophie Lee

who the gently caress do you think you are

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I was looking for James Valentine from the afternoon show and I found this, the second time my heart broke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g00OS-0Ah2k

Before Pasmo got made into a show it was a short and it was very sad because Plasmo didn't have a mummy or a daddy.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I was looking for James Valentine from the afternoon show and I found this, the second time my heart broke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g00OS-0Ah2k

Before Pasmo got made into a show it was a short and it was very sad because Plasmo didn't have a mummy or a daddy.

I hated when they replaced him with Michael Tunn. I loving hated it.

Many decades ago in the late 70s when I was just a wee lad, (like very young, maybe 2 or 3 at the most), there were very few Indian/Sri Lankan families in Melbourne. So, when he was doing a tour or something, my dad was one of the people that was sourced to organize a home cooked meal for the velvet voiced crooner.

Which meant that my family, (and bloody well half the Indian immigrants in Melbourne), went round to the home of a family friend of ours to have dinner with Kamahl. And it is something I lord over my brother, (for he wasn't born yet), that Kamahl and I played together and shared some Dosa and Sambar, whilst he didn't.

Awesome fact! I like to think he's as genuinely kind as he came across on tv.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

SecretOfSteel posted:

Awesome fact! I like to think he's as genuinely kind as he came across on tv.

I met him working on a morning TV show not long back. Just a very humble, kind person who cracked a lot of jokes about himself but no one else. Drove himself to the studio, did his pre-record, and went home again. Very easy and calm process.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

I met him working on a morning TV show not long back. Just a very humble, kind person who cracked a lot of jokes about himself but no one else. Drove himself to the studio, did his pre-record, and went home again. Very easy and calm process.

My first thought is: Yeah! He seems just that type of person!

My second thought is: Of course this drat country has to have openly, outspoken, unapologetic racists be shitheads to him...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lol I haven't thought about John Blackman in ages and turns out he's a wanker, what a surprise

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

quote:

Premiering on 9 October 1971,[8] Hey Hey It's Saturday was a Saturday morning children's program in which Somers and Carroll provided "top and tail" segments between cartoon episodes. Due to the freedom afforded by its low-priority timeslot, the team was able to develop the comedic aspects of the show and the cartoon segments were eventually phased-out in favour of the live performances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Hey_It%27s_Saturday

quote:

Hey Hey It’s Saturday began in humble circumstances on 9 October 1971. Produced out of the Bendigo Street Studios of GTV9 Melbourne, what would become Australia’s most successful light entertainment show commenced as a Saturday morning cartoon program telecast only to its local metropolitan audience. The show was originally hosted by 2 television newcomers: 20-year-old New Faces-winner Daryl Somers and popular 25-year-old Collingwood VFL footballer and budding pop singer Peter McKenna. McKenna left the show in 1972 as club pressure mounted from the Magpies, suggesting the 3-hour on-air commitment was affecting his on-field performances.

https://www.nfsa.gov.au/latest/hey-hey-its-saturday-50th-anniversary

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Yeah, John was one of the worst for it. Upset that Kamahl no longer 'knew his place'.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Which makes total sense because it's a puppet show.

I could easily have seen the same thing happening with Agro's Cartoon Connection.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
How soon we forget Marty Monster:

https://youtu.be/SYaIDupJXcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine dying on the beaches of Gallipoli and 107 years later they celebrate your death by closing loving Coles all day.