Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Resident Idiot posted:

For what it's worth, Retail disappears maybe a third of the time and Popcorn almost never comes through. I appreciate your posting though, and I read enough Retail during its first run.

Oy. Two days after I switched over to Imgpile, too. Excuse me while I dig myself a hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Selachian posted:

Everybody remembers the late lamented Al Jaffee's Mad work, including the Fold-Ins and the Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions book, the latter of which played an important role in making smart-alecky kids like me even more insufferable.

But did you know Jaffee also had a newspaper comic? Tall Tales was a wordless gag panel that ran from 1958 to 1963. The gimmick was the different orientation of the strip -- it was drawn in portrait, rather than landscape, style, taking up about half a newspaper column.

Here's a handful of randomly chosen Tall Tales strips for your enjoyment. Feels like there's a definite Charles Addams influence there.

Thank you, I wondered if someone had some of these. And cheers to Al, may he laugh and point at whatever is left of Jesse Helms forever.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

EasyEW posted:

Oy. Two days after I switched over to Imgpile, too. Excuse me while I dig myself a hole.

oh poo poo so THATS where out our way went; i havent seen it since you switched apparently

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

Multiply the amount of wasted food by the amount of takes.

I once did an tv-ad gig and took a single bite out of ten pastries.
I did an anti-smoking PSA for the county to air on local cable years ago and I probably went through a pack and a half or two packs filming it.

Anyways, catchup.

F Minus

Mark Trail

I haven't seen much karaoke but I don't remember any crying. I do remember drunk bros singing Neil Diamond.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

That was unexpected and also stupid.

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I read wilbur's lines in Kirk van Houten's voice so he can borrow a feeling

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Apr 22, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 29-30, 1993)

Big Nate

I actually really like that last panel. It captures the awkward tension of the moment really well.

Blind Alley

Dunce

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Yeah. I was expecting a sort of drawn out fight scene, with Hank and Rene struggling drawn out over a week as these soap opera comics are wont to do, only for Mud to rescue Hank or something. I wasn't expecting Rene to instantly Wilber himself.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 25, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Sorry haters, but Blind Alley is good.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

Dromedaries have one hump. Bactrians have two. The mnemonic is that their humps make the first letter of their name. Look at me, gettin' annoyed at cartoon camels.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Odonata posted:

Alas, no. I'm browsing on Chrome and almost always have to reload the page when I get to Darthemed's posts to get all the images to appear. Never happens with anyone else.

When I'm on the tablet, sometimes Popular Comics doesn't load, and far more rarely Retail doesn't load, but I never have that problem anywhere else. That's just my crummy tablet though, no one should be making hosting decisions based on that. I've mentioned before how I like to skip comics via technical snafu every so often to simulate the feeling of not reading the newspaper for a day or two and still trying to figure out what's going on.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

Dromedaries have one hump. Bactrians have two. The mnemonic is that their humps make the first letter of their name. Look at me, gettin' annoyed at cartoon camels.

I think you misread the joke.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Tendales posted:

I think you misread the joke.

If he's not a dromedary, he's a bactrian, and should have two humps, so wouldn't need to get a second hump looked at. (Right? I'm having that "did my brain really stop working?" feeling.)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

ellie the beep posted:

oh poo poo so THATS where out our way went; i havent seen it since you switched apparently

Anyway, I'm glad you told me, because if I don't hear anything I have to assume that everything's working perfectly for everybody. And seriously, if anyone else ever gets a blank post from me, please let me know immediately. Although now I'm kind of curious what the major failure was, if some image hosts are getting geoblocked in certain regions (like our :china: situation) or if there's a technical glitch that's killing things dead.

As for ditching imgur, I give up. This whole canary in a coal mine gig is getting to be a real drag, so I'll just wait for an actual consensus choice.

Anyway, you've suffered through my nonsense long enough. For those in the affected regions, here's the OOWs you should've seen the last two times it failed to show up.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

ANSU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Giant Ethicist posted:

If he's not a dromedary, he's a bactrian, and should have two humps, so wouldn't need to get a second hump looked at. (Right? I'm having that "did my brain really stop working?" feeling.)

It's a weird joke because it works equally well with "Dromedary" or "Bactrian". If the camel on the right is a bactrian, then his second hump is misshapen. If he's a dromedary, it's a weird growth. I think you're right though, it works better the other way.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Please. As if you really expect us to believe that anyone has ever found Luann funny.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

The joke is that Left Bactrian thought that Right Bactrian was a dromedary because the grossly misshapen swelling of one hump made it overlook the second hump at first.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

Everybody remembers the late lamented Al Jaffee's Mad work, including the Fold-Ins and the Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions book, the latter of which played an important role in making smart-alecky kids like me even more insufferable.

But did you know Jaffee also had a newspaper comic? Tall Tales was a wordless gag panel that ran from 1958 to 1963. The gimmick was the different orientation of the strip -- it was drawn in portrait, rather than landscape, style, taking up about half a newspaper column.

Here's a handful of randomly chosen Tall Tales strips for your enjoyment. Feels like there's a definite Charles Addams influence there.

These are very fun and work really well for phone scrolling!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

There's no super secret pun or anything here.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The_Other posted:

Yeah. I was expecting a sort of drawn out fight scene, with Hank and Rene struggling drawn out over a week as these soap opera comics are won't to do, only for Mud to rescue Hank or something. I wasn't expecting Rene to instantly Wilber himself.

With how much the vacationing couple won't shut the gently caress up about Muddy Boots and not being happy that their favorite artist is finally doing some self-improvement, I was really looking forward to them being in peril. Shows what I know for expecting something out of Rex Morgan.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Green Intern posted:

Is Alfred going to the the secret half brother…

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think he is the secret half brother.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 02, 1956)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I've seen every Retail and Out Our Way just fine. :shobon:

Rex Morgan continues to punch above its weight. :laffo:

Mark Trail remembering two months later that maybe it should tell a story.

Schwarzwald posted:

Sorry haters, but Blind Alley is good.

Sure, it's fine slice of life. The problem was when it dropped a set up strip and then ignored its own efforts for 50 strips before teasing a plot again.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I'd like to remind everybody that Rene explicitly told us he wasn't doing anything illegal this time. And yet here he is, resorting to (attempted) murder.

Also wait are Val and the other guy burying that lady inside her house?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I know the dude isn't the sharpest, but really, shove a man overboard in sight of several witnesses? "This'll keep my secret safe!"

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Doomykins posted:

I've seen every Retail and Out Our Way just fine. :shobon:

And I've consistently had Retail fail to load, even before the change from imgur. Sometimes one loads, sometimes none, I usually need to open the quote window and copy the url.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Arbetor posted:

And I've consistently had Retail fail to load, even before the change from imgur. Sometimes one loads, sometimes none, I usually need to open the quote window and copy the url.

Maybe your brain is filtering it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Zereth posted:

I hope so. It would be really creepy if they're burying her in somebody else's house.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/24/03

Brenda Starr 11/6-8/50

Smokey Stover 4/11/54

Everyday Movies 5/6/36

"You've been losing weight, haven't you, Doug?"
"Yeah, my wife's on a diet."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/5-7/41

The circus owner also mentioned a miserable clown as part of the list of problems, but it looks like Scarlet won't get around to helping him. Maybe he's gone to a therapist who's telling him to go see this hilarious clown to get his mind off his troubles.

The airport being built in DC in 1941 would become Washington National Airport, which was later renamed to gently caress Ronald Reagan National Airport, although they leave the first word off maps and such in deference to people's sensibilities.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gnoman posted:

I hope so. It would be really creepy if they're burying her in somebody else's house.

We buried her wrong, as a joke.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Invisible Scarlet O'Neil is going to kill Hitler.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Giant Ethicist posted:

Maybe the camel on the right has a tumor; we could be looking at an all-camel version of Creeps!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Zereth posted:

She lives in a swamp, and her decrepit old shack is probably the only solid ground for a while. Also she's awful and they're doing the bare minimum courtesy.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Arbetor posted:

Yeah same here. Usually I blame it on a spotty internet connection but it’s always Retail when it happens. As far as I can remember it’s just been with imgpile though.

How difficult is it to host images from an actual imgur account, instead of anonymously? Last I remember hearing those are still safe.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zereth posted:

I'd like to remind everybody that Rene explicitly told us he wasn't doing anything illegal this time. And yet here he is, resorting to (attempted) murder.

Common historical practice believe it or not.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Iirc it's not so much the using an imgur account as it is the effort of having to go back and put all those previous images onto that account

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Looking forward to Scarlet sneaking in an extra line on a bill or some other wacky shenanigan in the White House.

Holy poo poo :laffo:

I get that the anonymity was needed but I wish Creeps guy was working on something else we could read. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Iirc it's not so much the using an imgur account as it is the effort of having to go back and put all those previous images onto that account

That's being taken care of as we speak. Never underestimate the power of goons.

tl;dr, astral has provided a list of every single imgur link on the live forums, goldmine, archives, etc, and we've set up a massive volunteer parallel downloading operation. Meanwhile, the admins are coming up with a way to host all these images locally and then do a great big find-replace on millions of old posts to point to the images' new home. If all goes well, this will be done well before Imgur's drop-dead date and all of our comic strips and dickbutt edits should be just fine.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030517

For the future, yeah, I'd suggest creating an actual Imgur account; those seem to still be safe. And for the farther future, Jeffrey and company are planning a big upgrade to the file attachment system which should make external image hosting unnecessary.