Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Russian bloggers talking about Ukrainian units crossing the Dnieper and setting up seems like good evidence that they're at least preparing for an offensive. Also thank god everyone seems to have collectively agreed to call it the "East" rather than the "left" bank now
Defmon doesn't think it appears to be anything relating to a coming counter offensive
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1649152253742182419

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/bmilakovsky/status/1650598822647570447?s=20

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/odr/russia-forced-mobilisation-donetsk-luhansk-ukraine/

This is a good article and attendant twitter thread by an American aid worker who used to live and work in government-controlled Donbas.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Also thank god everyone seems to have collectively agreed to call it the "East" rather than the "left" bank now

Rivers wind all over the place, sometimes turning 180ş or even 360ş in a short distance, so east/west terminology can be ambiguous. The one thing rivers don't do is flow backwards.

(Flooding and other rare/localized events don't count. :colbert: )

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

Rivers wind all over the place, sometimes turning 180º or even 360º in a short distance, so east/west terminology can be ambiguous. The one thing rivers don't do is flow backwards.

(Flooding and other rare/localized events don't count. :colbert: )

I believe you will find that the Chicago River disagrees with you there. They civil engineered it into flowing backwards in 1900

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

HonorableTB posted:

I believe you will find that the Chicago River disagrees with you there. They civil engineered it into flowing backwards in 1900

And it was such a big deal that people are still talking about it 120 years later.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Thomas Theiner posted a rough order-of-battle for Ukraine's new brigades with their primary platforms. His Twitter profile says that he's a former Italian artillery officer, and I've found his analysis of platforms and systems to consistently be good. His operational analysis is well-grounded, though it tends to be optimistic.

Unsurprisingly the Ukrainians did a good job mixing mutually-supporting platforms. Every brigade has something that can kill tanks, and every brigade has enough infantry (assuming they're fully-manned, which seems a reasonable assumption at the moment). I expect Ukraine will be able to breach Russian lines within a relatively short time of initiating direct contact; the question is how much operational exploitation can they achieve?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Ynglaur posted:

I expect Ukraine will be able to breach Russian lines within a relatively short time of initiating direct contact; the question is how much operational exploitation can they achieve?

The question will be; how fast the Russians can retreat with not much operational experience of it. Once they know there is Ukrainian armour behind them, I expect them to collapse like a pack of cards.

Attacking south may actually cause this to be a problem- if the only Russian line of retreat is south towards the Crimea it will be all to easy to create a bottleneck and force the retreating Mobiks to stand and fight.

In any case, wherever they attack, I am sure the Russian's will not be ready for it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
if there was an offensive underway there would be evidence of an offensive underway

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Comstar posted:

The question will be; how fast the Russians can retreat with not much operational experience of it. Once they know there is Ukrainian armour behind them, I expect them to collapse like a pack of cards.

Attacking south may actually cause this to be a problem- if the only Russian line of retreat is south towards the Crimea it will be all to easy to create a bottleneck and force the retreating Mobiks to stand and fight.

In any case, wherever they attack, I am sure the Russian's will not be ready for it.

Aren't you forgetting about the deep trenches the Russians have dug since the Winter, not to mention there's a lot more soldiers now than last year? It's not impossible but it could be more challenging

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Comstar posted:

Just based off tactics NATO has impart onto the Ukrainians and previous examples in the first half of the war, if the Russians get bottlenecked, they're not going to stand and fight, they're going to stand and die: It's been NATO operating procedure, even before NATO to the Allies in WW2, to force the enemy to concentrate units, be it in pockets (the Falaise pocket in WW2) or bottlenecks (the hypothetical Fulda Gap or the very real Highway of Death in Iraq), so they're unable to maneuver and burn fuel in traffic jams, then beat the poo poo out of them with artillery and air power. NATO has donated the Ukrainians stuff like the HIMARS, which is renowned for it's long range precision warheads, but they were also provided M30A1 dual-purpose munitions, which peppers both infantry and light vehicles with 180,000 tungsten darts, like a shotgun.

We know that the Ukrainians have used the Rasputina to keep the Russians on vulnerable roads, and the Bayraktar drones to destroy choice clusters of logistics vehicles. As the better and more powerful weapons have become available to them, the more opportunities to cluster the Russians and shoot for complete destruction on their battle groups.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Just based off tactics NATO has impart onto the Ukrainians and previous examples in the first half of the war, if the Russians get bottlenecked, they're not going to stand and fight, they're going to stand and die: It's been NATO operating procedure, even before NATO to the Allies in WW2, to force the enemy to concentrate units, be it in pockets (the Falaise pocket in WW2) or bottlenecks (the hypothetical Fulda Gap or the very real Highway of Death in Iraq), so they're unable to maneuver and burn fuel in traffic jams, then beat the poo poo out of them with artillery and air power. NATO has donated the Ukrainians stuff like the HIMARS, which is renowned for it's long range precision warheads, but they were also provided M30A1 dual-purpose munitions, which peppers both infantry and light vehicles with 180,000 tungsten darts, like a shotgun.

We know that the Ukrainians have used the Rasputina to keep the Russians on vulnerable roads, and the Bayraktar drones to destroy choice clusters of logistics vehicles. As the better and more powerful weapons have become available to them, the more opportunities to cluster the Russians and shoot for complete destruction on their battle groups.

I'm not sure what you mean about the first half of the war. The Russians have been able to successfully retreat when their lines have crumbled, albeit often without a lot of their heavy equipment; their most disastrous losses have been during their own doomed assaults.

I don't think anyone should be assuming that there will be thousands of pocketed Russians in the next few months. And I thought the Fulda Gap was supposed to be a defensive bottleneck to desperately hold back the Soviets long enough for NATO militaries to mobilize, not a way to concentrate retreating troops into a killzone.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 25, 2023

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm not sure what you mean about the first half of the war. The Russians have been able to successfully retreat when their lines have crumbled, albeit often without a lot of their heavy equipment; their most disastrous losses have been during their own doomed assaults.

I don't think anyone should be assuming that there will be thousands of pocketed Russians in the next few months. And I thought the Fulda Gap was supposed to be a defensive bottleneck to desperately hold back the Soviets long enough for NATO militaries to mobilize, not a way to concentrate retreating troops into a killzone.

If there was a time to force a large scale surrenders it was in Kherson - there will not be no more ideal conditions.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

if there was an offensive underway there would be evidence of an offensive underway

The offensive knows when it is underway because it knows when it isn't.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Young Freud posted:

We know that the Ukrainians have used the Rasputina to keep the Russians on vulnerable roads,

Please just say mud season

There's no reason to use the local words for the same concepts that exist in English as if they're mysterious oriental phenomena (same for dezinformaciya, maskirovka, blat, pizdesh, naebalovo)

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Angry Planet just had an episode with the reporter who tracked down the ANG kid who released TS documents on discord. SomethingAwful gets mentioned, not in the best light though... They discuss a little about the tactical/strategic implications, but mostly about the why and how of the whole ordeal.
https://shows.acast.com/warcollege/episodes/how-a-21-year-old-edgelord-stole-pentagon-secrets

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Somaen posted:

There's no reason to use the local words for the same concepts that exist in English as if they're mysterious oriental phenomena (same for dezinformaciya, maskirovka, blat, pizdesh, naebalovo)

Loskapaska

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Also isn't it, uh, rasputitsa? Rasputina appears to be an American band.

And I think the Ukrainian word is bezdorizhzia?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Phosphine posted:

Bezdorozhye is also a Russian word meaning the same - place or situation without roads

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
How well Ukrainians are able to provide air defenses for the mobile vs how well Russians are able to use their air superiority will play some role in how the offensive will roll. But it's still anyone's guess what their current abilities are.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Nenonen posted:

But it's still anyone's guess what their current abilities are.

In a recent post by Igor Girkin, he feels that the Russian Air Force is "as active and effective as in the Battle of Borodino".

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Comstar posted:

Given the last major Russian retreat in Kherson was in a much more difficult scenario, and they pulled it off quite successfully, this seems wildly optimistic.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Somaen posted:

Roztopy :v:

Actual content:
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1650797230629040131

I guess this is where the rumble of counteroffensive comes from.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
There's some more specific rumbling around Tokmak as well. Nothing verifiable as of yet.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I would be suprised to see one large all out offensive by Ukraine. Instead, as we are probably seeing now, are probing attacks along the front to possibly either A. Find a gap and exploit it, and/or B. Keep the Russians off balance and guessing to where exactly that push will come. This approach could last most, if not all the summer.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Russia is good at retreating, and I genuinely don't mean that as a bit. Both American and Ukrainian observers noted how well the retreat from Kyiv was conducted (considering the circumstances, of course).

A Goon buddy recommended a podcast run by a US military officer who specializes in urban warfare called the Urban Warfare Project, and he talked about the retreat in his current series on the Battle of Kyiv. He also has an interview with Aiden Aslan that's a really compelling listen.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Phosphine posted:

Rasputina is a cello based goth rock band, yes

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Owling Howl posted:

If there was a time to force a large scale surrenders it was in Kherson - there will not be no more ideal conditions.

In Kherson they had their backs to a large stretch of river with three (at the time of retreat, damaged) bridges across it. This was a major obstacle for moving heavy equipment and all the ammunition/fuel/food necessary to keep a large fighting force supplied during combat, but it was not a major obstacle for soldiers or light vehicles (cars) entering or retreating Kherson - you could literally swim across parts of the river, take a small boat, or just walk across the bridges. The Russian military *was* forced to leave the Western bank and part ways with a bunch of ammunition and heavier equipment they couldn't get back across the river - including one of the better condition T-90M's captured to date because they could not actually maintain the defense and they could not hold the defensive lines along the river - running the risk of Ukrainian advances similar to those just prior to the retreat cutting pockets of defenders off from the riverbank.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Dick Ripple posted:

I would be suprised to see one large all out offensive by Ukraine. Instead, as we are probably seeing now, are probing attacks along the front to possibly either A. Find a gap and exploit it, and/or B. Keep the Russians off balance and guessing to where exactly that push will come. This approach could last most, if not all the summer.

I don't think they have the forces to attack everywhere they want to to find a gap, and their artillery is very accurate enough they don't have too.

Now they WILL try and faint in one or two places and attack in the other, but they can't not have all their armour move across the front. My guess it will be in one area only. If they get 3-4 bridges across the Dnieper, that's the main attack. I think they can get a good enough SAM net across to hold them and use helicopters (which they got a good amount of I think now?) to do it.

'Corse if the Russian defenses collapses all along the front, that will make it easier to advance in more places.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

T-14 Armatas are finally being used in Ukraine, but not in direct battles.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russias-new-t-14-armata-battle-tank-debuts-ukraine-ria-2023-04-25/

quote:

Russia has begun using its new T-14 Armata battle tanks to fire on Ukrainian positions "but they have not yet participated in direct assault operations," the RIA state news agency reported on Tuesday, quoting a source close the matter.

RIA said that the tanks have been fitted with extra protection on their flanks and crews have undergone "combat coordination" at training grounds in Ukraine.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Did they take those "ERA bricks on everything" comics seriously and just stuck them on the front? :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Everything but a Rivet Joint in the same part of the sky right now too

https://twitter.com/scott_dufc1976/status/1650817944539082752

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

The Russian bloggers talking about Ukrainian units crossing the Dnieper and setting up seems like good evidence that they're at least preparing for an offensive. Also thank god everyone seems to have collectively agreed to call it the "East" rather than the "left" bank now

I feel like "east" is the absolute most confusing choice they could have gone with at that particular spot. The Russian controlled side is the left bank, or more colloquially I'd say the south bank. East makes no sense to me in that context, when the river is flowing more or less east-west right there.

Like no one calls Palestine the "right bank", and they definitely don't call it the "south bank", since the Jordan is running north-south in that area.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

NTRabbit posted:

Everything but a Rivet Joint in the same part of the sky right now too

https://twitter.com/scott_dufc1976/status/1650817944539082752

This isn't that unusual. sometimes there'll only be one or two planes there showing on flightradar but it's not uncommon to see that many.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Since it is RIA, i am believing it once it lands on Oryx and not a minute earlier

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Comstar posted:

I don't think they have the forces to attack everywhere they want to to find a gap, and their artillery is very accurate enough they don't have too.

Now they WILL try and faint in one or two places and attack in the other, but they can't not have all their armour move across the front. My guess it will be in one area only. If they get 3-4 bridges across the Dnieper, that's the main attack. I think they can get a good enough SAM net across to hold them and use helicopters (which they got a good amount of I think now?) to do it.

'Corse if the Russian defenses collapses all along the front, that will make it easier to advance in more places.

Aren't the Antonovskiy/Kakhovka bridge damaged to the point you can't get armor across?
Where are the other bridges? Or do you assume they will build pontoon bridges?
I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see them attacking from that side without the bridges, and the land around it being swampland. It seems like a massive gamble?

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

mrfart posted:

Aren't the Antonovskiy/Kakhovka bridge damaged to the point you can't get armor across?
Where are the other bridges? Or do you assume they will build pontoon bridges?
I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see them attacking from that side without the bridges, and the land around it being swampland. It seems like a massive gamble?

If you wanted to attack south from Zaporizhia towards Melitopol, for instance, you might signal that you were going to cross the river in Kherson to draw Russian forces there. Russia can't entirely ignore the possibility.

I do believe the logistics of attacking across the river and maintaining and expanding a bridgehead there would be far too difficult when they have perfectly good roads in Zaporizhia as the alternative though.

An offensive might happen somewhere else entirely though - Russian occupied Zaporizhia and Kherson oblasts are just very obviously the soft underbelly, logistically speaking, and presents an opportunity to bifurcate occupied areas and put pressure on Crimea. However, although Russia has made many mistakes, on every level, it would be hubris to assume they don't realize the danger and haven't positioned forces and defenses accordingly and that might make other options more appealing to Ukrainian planners.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Somaen posted:

someone's gonna be real mad if they ever start reading contemporary informal russian and seeing how many english loanwords are in use for things that could reasonably use a word of russian origin

dehumanize yourself and face to фейки and смайлики

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

someone's gonna be real mad if they ever start reading contemporary informal russian and seeing how many english loanwords are in use for things that could reasonably use a word of russian origin

what makes you think i'm not mad all the time

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

gonna go down to Бургер Кинг and get myself a juicy биг кинг :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

gonna go down to Бургер Кинг and get myself a juicy биг кинг :v:

But why wouldn't you rather save some money and just pack a бутерброд in your рюкзак? :confused: