Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snackmar posted:

Advance Wars 1+2 trip report

- Oh that's nice, I'm being asked if I've played an Advance Wars already - yup, sure have!
- "Great! Well just think of this unskippable tutorial as a refresher!"

:ughh:

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Astro7x posted:

The 8Bitdo controller is the first time I felt like I wasn't playing with a janky 3rd party controller. What I don't like about it is that I have to power on the Switch first and can't start it with the controller, and that's pretty much it.
You can power on the Switch with the Ultimate controller, just turn it on and shake it around. It's meant to boot the console up automatically when you lift it off the dock

Finished the last mission in AW1 last night. They definitely tweaked the AI to respect fog of war, and all of those missions are a so much better for it. Went back and tried a couple of levels in the GBA version and it feels so clunky by comparison. Reboot is the definitive way to play for sure.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 24, 2023

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
for future reference:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Finally got some time to play advanced wars Yesterday. It’s so good! Like drat.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Astro7x posted:

The D-Pad on the official pro-controller is also horrible. Tetris 99 is literally unplayable with it.

I've won Tetris Royales with it, and mine was a first year model. You probably just got a bad one. The dpad is less sensitive than my 8bitdo Ultimate's.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Advance Wars Reboot fuckin' rocks. I haven't played the original since release on GBA and have since become a Fire Emblem fan (I played Wargroove too but all that game made me want is to play Advance Wars again as it felt like it was missing something) but I'm enjoying the hell out of AWR. I really hope they make a modern one if this one sells well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I kind of hate fog of war maps, not just in advance wars but every strategy game.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’re fun if the AI doesn’t cheat and you can be sneaky

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
My partner had a real lovely week last week, and was planning to grab Advance Wars next paycheck. I just surprised him by letting him know that I just bought a copy for him (well, for us, but he'll be playing way more) and we can pick it up this evening. :3:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I kind of hate fog of war maps, not just in advance wars but every strategy game.

Return Fire best game ever

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

hatty posted:

They’re fun if the AI doesn’t cheat and you can be sneaky

I have good news about the reboot camp!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The real important question is did they keep they advance wars AI that HATES APCs? Like ignores your deadly med tank to destory that pesty refueling truck levels of hate.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
AW1 AI still prioritizes APCs because it's necessary for completing some hard mode maps. I've heard they are lower priority in AW2

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I just bought Switch last week. I've had a lot of fun, but found the joy-cons to be a little troublesome connection wise in docked mode. Sometimes during a game they lose connection (seemingly random). I think the cause is the right joy-con. Are there any known issues where people receive malfunctioning joy-cons that /sometimes/ lose their connection? Or should the Switch docking station have a more clear viewline with the controller? Does it depend on that? I thought it might be because I was holding the controllers too low and out of sight of the console? I never had this problem with PlayStation, does Nintendo use another protocol?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

How does preordering work on Nintendo’s website? I clicked to preorder Tears of the Kingdom, but I was surprised it didn’t ask if it was physical I wanted, or how I’d obtain that. Are preorders always digital on Nintendo’s website?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wouldn't assume so, I don't think they sell retail copies themselves. Actually, would they be allowed to, some industries have obtuse anti-consumer poo poo in place, like car dealerships but idk if software has the same horseshit going on.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Shwqa posted:

The real important question is did they keep they advance wars AI that HATES APCs? Like ignores your deadly med tank to destory that pesty refueling truck levels of hate.

In the AW1 campaign the APC hate is very much alive and well.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fuckn

I forgot AW was gonna be $60....but can this wait?!?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

mdemone posted:

Fuckn

it's a nintendo game so it's never going to go on sale, might as well just get it now.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
It might go on sale for Black Friday… in 2024.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

mdemone posted:

Fuckn

If you can get a voucher it saves you :10bux:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mdemone posted:

Fuckn

I am totally hooked. it's so good. I don't remember it very well, but loved it on the GBA. Well worth the $60 honestly. Buy it so that they remake the rest and or release new ones.

(Also, I paid $40 since I got the Costco eshop cards for $80 total. Between this and TOTK for $80 total... :getin: )

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Grapplejack posted:

it's a nintendo game so it's never going to go on sale, might as well just get it now.

Target has buy 2 get one free deals a few times a year if they're willing to wait

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

mdemone posted:

Fuckn

I think I'm gonna get the vouchers and use one on AW and one on Zelda (which is $70?)

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Idk if I picked the wrong combo or what, but the final mission for AW1 was brutal slog of a match.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

beer gas canister posted:

You can power on the Switch with the Ultimate controller, just turn it on and shake it around. It's meant to boot the console up automatically when you lift it off the dock

I’ve heard this elsewhere but I also can’t turn it on with the 8bitdo. I think the solution requires you to connect it to the switch via usb and then pair it somehow. Haven’t yet taken the time to figure it out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Enderzero posted:

I’ve heard this elsewhere but I also can’t turn it on with the 8bitdo. I think the solution requires you to connect it to the switch via usb and then pair it somehow. Haven’t yet taken the time to figure it out.

The Ultimate can turn the Switch on by shaking the controller when the controller is turning on. Weird as hell solution but it works.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Enderzero posted:

Fwiw I'm doing it via Bluetooth, the controller's dock is hooked up to my PC. Pair to Switch with Bluetooth, press controller power on button, shake controller for a few seconds, Switch wakes up

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Sweet, I’ll give that a try!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Papes posted:

Idk if I picked the wrong combo or what, but the final mission for AW1 was brutal slog of a match.

no, it's a brutal slog no matter what you do. If you beat it, grats

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grapplejack posted:

no, it's a brutal slog no matter what you do. If you beat it, grats

I feel this is a bit of a theme for Advance Wars. I know Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict flat out only has one viable way to beat the final story mission.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Astro7x posted:

I have the 8Bitdo Pro 2 and Nintendo Pro Controller, but I think my points still stand.

The 8Bitdo controller is the first time I felt like I wasn't playing with a janky 3rd party controller. What I don't like about it is that I have to power on the Switch first and can't start it with the controller, and that's pretty much it.

Not being able to turn it on with the controller stinks a little, I can’t believe we all used to have to stand up and physically turn our consoles on. Lunacy. I’ve had switch controllers be laggy, but I think it’s cos my switch is physically behind my tv, and if my partner is like laying on me, her legs will disrupt the signal from the joycon.

Also you can’t buy replacement L2/R2 caps in grey, only black or classic. Lame.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I know I should not cheese the Fog of War stages by moving up a unit, seeing if there are enemies, then immediately resetting the turn and acting accordingly.

But I do not care

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Never play fair when you are fighting the machine.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mained Grit and spammed artillery. They were right to send me to jail.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Mained Grit and spammed artillery. They were right to send me to jail.

Honestly better than a Colin or Kanbei main

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Booted up my Switch and found that they updated the NES app with a single game. It's Xevious.

Imagine being Nintendo, having access to this massive library of retro games at your disposal and only ever expanding the NSO library once every five months. You could be putting out a new game each week and just rake in the dough from new subscriptions, but no, why would you do anything cool. The Wii loving had that! They released new Virtual Console games every Thursday! People loved that!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
just booted up the SNES app. they added goddamn side pocket.

some prick at nintendo is earning three times my yearly salary for making these decisions.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I was a Flak main bc nobody expected it and got freaked out when an Infantry mowed down their Artillery or whatever. Adder was underrated too. Such a great game.

Really hope they can pull off Dual Strike on the Switch (even though I have no clue how they'd pull off the weird sky/land split fights). The CO combos were insanely fun. I think Adder/Koal was my fav bc you basically just teleport your entire army across the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

armpit_enjoyer posted:

just booted up the SNES app. they added goddamn side pocket.

some prick at nintendo is earning three times my yearly salary for making these decisions.

To be fair to that prick, Side Pocket is pretty fun apart from the trick shots which can piss off.