Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

singapore has a military?

Singapore has the largest military per-capita among all countries in Southeast Asia, and also had the largest military budget as of at least 2017. Their air force is the third-largest in the region behind Myanmar and Thailand, and is still more modern besides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

All we know is he definitely wasn't targeted for espionage. No siree.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

singapore has a military?

I remember getting firsthand stories about it from a former member who was instructing me in something wholly non military related in an educational setting. He was a pretty chill, relaxed Singaporean dude. Big guy.

The stories were nothing interesting. Just the different lines / tiers of defence in general terms and how the ack ack guns were "basically we're hosed" levels of use. Younger me found it fascinating.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

that image has been going around local social media and there's a couple of caveats that I've seen raised:

* the data is relatively old
* this is "household income", and intergenerational wealth can skew the numbers
* survivorship bias: immigration to the US tends to be driven by the middle-class, who were already relatively well-off to begin with - poorer Filipinos tend to be driven to places like the Middle East or Europe as OFWs, or as seamen

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/PeterCronau/status/1650480460043272192

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Singapore has conscription, though its pretty tolerable because the army bases are just scattered around the city rather than being in Bearfart, North Dakota

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

broke: turn taiwan into china's ukraine

woke: turn australia into china's ukraine

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

yellowcar posted:

turn Ukraine into the Australia of China

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i say swears online posted:

huh, i totally missed that the two nepalese communist parties have lost a ton of support the last couple elections

why would you let elections take place? jesus christ

e: if you have two communist parties, just let them run against each other in controlled races like the bourgeoisie do with their bullshit democracy

Mantis42 has issued a correction as of 09:11 on Apr 25, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

yellowcar posted:

this relies on the flawed assumption that anybody in their right mind would want to have australia in the first place

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Australia is a better comparison to Ukraine, because if China were to ever invade Australia, you could foreseeably have a situation where the fighting is all done by Australians, and then the US simply feeds weapons and support to Australia as a proxy

like what they're doing now with Ukraine

this analogy doesn't work for Taiwan, because any invasion of Taiwan both instantly kills enough American servicemen that the US would be directly involved, and also the conflict would be over so soon that there would be no real chance for a prolonged conflict where the US simply uses Taiwan as a proxy combatant

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Australia is a better comparison to Ukraine, because if China were to ever invade Australia, you could foreseeably have a situation where the fighting is all done by Australians, and then the US simply feeds weapons and support to Australia as a proxy

this analogy doesn't work for Taiwan, because any invasion of Taiwan both instantly kills enough American servicemen that the US would be directly involved, and also the conflict would be over so soon that there would be no real chance for a prolonged conflict where the US simply uses Taiwan as a proxy combatant

I think people outside Australia dramatically over-estimate how much actual Australians want any sort of conflict with China.

Sure the military might get sent off, in isolation, on US orders. It's basically a backyard militia and shouldn't take more than 1-7 days to compeltely annihilate. Then life would go on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I disagree, mainly because Russia had good reasons to invade Ukraine and China has good reasons to consider invading Taiwan but only severely brain rotten racists think china has any reason whatsoever to invade Australia

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

I disagree, mainly because Russia had good reasons to invade Ukraine and China has good reasons to consider invading Taiwan but only severely brain rotten racists think china has any reason whatsoever to invade Australia

I mean, yeah, assuming an invasion were to happen at all, and the analogy is still broken several ways from Sunday, I'm just saying Taiwan is an even worse comparison

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
lol Australia would last precisely 3 days if it didn't immediately just nope tf out instead rofl

but the people's protracted war, now that is different.

4 days. That's how long they could go without a flat white and tv.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ranter posted:

lol Australia would last precisely 3 days if it didn't immediately just nope tf out instead rofl

but the people's protracted war, now that is different.

4 days. That's how long they could go without a flat white and tv.

While true don't tell the yanks that, they might bomb us instead.

Americans? Oh we Australians are totally loyal to empire and gung ho. Totally. lmao.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Australians all ready for tomorrow, when the war began.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Orange Devil posted:

Australians all ready for tomorrow, when the war began.

Making teenagers suffer and work hard while the rest chill is very Australian

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

actually, on that note, does anyone know what the deal with cheng lei is?

our foreign minister recently was making a bunch of noise about it along with that journalist/spy that got detained in russia (obviously she never mentioned assange or the fact that our afghanistan warcrimes whistleblower has been charged and is awaiting trial)

https://twitter.com/caitoz/status/1641929134824886272?s=20

The CGTN reporter? The podcast I follow hinted that she was working as a double spy.

You know DOJ charged 34 in connection of the """Chinese outpost"""?

https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-charges-defendants-china-propaganda-mps-nyc-police-station-2023-4

They are all Chinese security officers working inside China. The news doesn't even say the case charges them in absentia. And one of the podcast hosts said his name is in it too. So basically FBI/DOJ got a bunch of specific names of Chinese security officers and charged them over an nonsense case to sell it as a KPI. They said they likely got these names from an insider and the US probably will burn an informer over these names.

Edit, also, let me remind you that this new arrest is connected to Japan, Cheng's arrest was obviously connected to Australia. Both of these arrests happened when China had diplomatic difficulty with Australia and Japan respectively. But during this time there has been no Chinese arrested charge with working for the US even though the Sino-US relationship is getting worse and worse. Is it possible there is almost no human intelligent working for the US inside China?

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 11:50 on Apr 25, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

The CGTN reporter? The podcast I follow hinted that she was working as a double spy.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-charges-defendants-china-propaganda-mps-nyc-police-station-2023-4

They are all Chinese security officers working inside China. The news doesn't even say the case charges them in absentia. And one of the podcast hosts said his name is in it too. So basically FBI/DOJ got a bunch of specific names of Chinese security officers and charged them over an nonsense case to sell it as a KPI. They said they likely got these names from an insider and the US probably will burn an informer over these names.

Metrics! Quite a brain bug.

Is there any other country the USA hasn't burned all its bridges with lately that also isn't a client nation?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Very excited to see what amazing quotes and diplomatic tragedies come out of this speech from President “a Gaffe a Day 1일 1망언”.

South Korean President practises English speech for U.S. Congress address

quote:

He is preparing to deliver a speech in English during his address to the U.S. Congress, which he has been practicing late into the night.

However, Yoon’s “one-sided” foreign policy towards the U.S. has drawn criticism and skepticism from the South Korean public, who fear that it could lead to increased tensions on the Korean Peninsula and humiliation for their country.

He has been reviewing and refining his speech content and language, putting in a lot of effort to “capture the hearts of the world’s most powerful country.”

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gildiss posted:

Very excited to see what amazing quotes and diplomatic tragedies come out of this speech from President “a Gaffe a Day 1일 1망언”.

South Korean President practises English speech for U.S. Congress address

I can't wait to see President what's is name give a speech in broken english to the USA while bearing a BLM t-shirt, origin jeans, yeezy sneakers and a dyed bright blue mowawk to really connect with the average american.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure the South Korean president is not a fan of BLM

he might be a Yeezy stan though!!! only very recently

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm pretty sure the South Korean president is not a fan of BLM

he might be a Yeezy stan though!!! only very recently

A mickey mouse t-shirt is an acceptable alternative.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

stephenthinkpad posted:

Edit, also, let me remind you that this new arrest is connected to Japan, Cheng's arrest was obviously connected to Australia. Both of these arrests happened when China had diplomatic difficulty with Australia and Japan respectively. But during this time there has been no Chinese arrested charge with working for the US even though the Sino-US relationship is getting worse and worse. Is it possible there is almost no human intelligent working for the US inside China?

yeah, I guessed she was a spy, was just curious if anything more solid came out.

a bunch of US spies already got nabbed when the Chinese looked at the html of the website they were using to submit info so maybe that's why

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

yeah, I guessed she was a spy, was just curious if anything more solid came out.

a bunch of US spies already got nabbed when the Chinese looked at the html of the website they were using to submit info so maybe that's why

JFC whatever happened to physical dead drops. If its online its compromised. Period.

They need to purge anyone who thinks "technology" is the solution to humint. Classically as necessary.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

drat desis stay winning

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Filipino American income has growth a lot from the older survey, I think there probably have been a lot of high income job imports in the recent years.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

There is no outcome yet because my theory is Beijing is waiting for Australia to deal spy exchange. Australia has chips they can deal too. Australia got a fake spy Wang Liqiang and run his story all overt the western news cycle to specifically gently caress up that 2020 Taiwan presidential election. This case is total bogus (just about as bogus as the 21 year old DOD leaker). If Australia want to send him back to China, they can get their own spy for a very short time served sentence. That's my guess.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
drat pakistansi & bangladeshis dont even break the bachelor degree threshold, wtf

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jai hind

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

singapore also has a pretty robust local arms industry/MIC. does anyone know if their stuff is any good?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Australia is thousands of miles of open ocean and like 5 other countries apart from China. Russia is more likely to invade Portugal or Ireland than China Australia. Even by the standards of galaxy brain poo poo white people actually believe this is far fetched.

I literally don't understand why china even has formal relations with that shithole. Their economy is like a third the size of Italy who would even notice if they just disappeared tomorow

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So BYD in the new Shanghai auto show launched a new large sized SUV, the U8. They presold a ton of them already. As far as I can tell, its a hybrid super Landcruiser.

I don't know if its belonged in this thread, I just want to share this funny as hell U turn function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LvgXC7-0pQ&t=17s

They are going to sell it under the new luxury brand. Yangwang (look up). I don't like the brand in English. Luxury brand name need to be short and roll of the tongue well, like Rolex, or Lexus. Also the grill is too "Arab rich man" for my taste. But whatever.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 15:24 on Apr 25, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
arab rich men are the pioneer for the tech of the future.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

stephenthinkpad posted:

Luxury brand name need to be short and roll of the tongue well, like Rolex, or Lexus.

have u ever tried to pronounce lamborghini?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Didn't the CIA get its whole network rolled up twice in a very short amount of time

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DancingShade posted:

JFC whatever happened to physical dead drops. If its online its compromised. Period.

They need to purge anyone who thinks "technology" is the solution to humint. Classically as necessary.

Actually they should not do that and go all in on tech solutions. Maybe save costs by only using one phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

Actually they should not do that and go all in on tech solutions. Maybe save costs by only using one phone

this
most phones have dual sim support these days, they're perfect for cia