Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Fat and Useless posted:

I don't have the willpower or gil to make an Empyrean as much as I'd love to Rudra spam. The thread is going to get some pulses and maybe a mythic if you are good.

I do have walk recorded though. I'll probably just make one update for each weapon series and the train wreck involved.

Oh I was talking about Naegling, the People's REMA and then using it to great effect for Bumba

And after doing one of each I'd much rather do another Empy than another Mythic but I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't mind Abyssea (and also had NIN leveled)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Dragoon Part 1

Role: Damage

You hit things with your pointed stick and have a wide array of skillchain options.

Main Weapons: Spear

You are a Dragoon, act like one.

If you are a pervert you can use a specific sword in your main hand with a specific weaponskill it grants you. Even if it works fine I will judge you if you do.

Magic: No

Your wyvern has a bunch of elemental/healing breaths though.

Notable Abilities:

Jump/Spirt Jump: Low cooldown and does not give the enemy TP. Basically the strength of a normal attack. Spirt Jump always crits, gives double TP, and is stronger with your wyvern out.

High Jump: Double what Jump's cooldown is but sheds 50% of your enmity(30% if Dragoon is a Sub Job).

Soul Jump: Double what Spirit Jump's cooldown is but is stronger, always crits, and gives triple TP with your buddy out.

Super Jump: 3 minute cooldown, deals no damage and gives you no TP. FOR ALL ENEMIES SET YOUR ENMITY TO 1. You stay in the air for 5 seconds and can't be targeted by ANYTHING. If something is casting a spell on you it gets interrupted. Your wyvern also becomes untargetable but keeps it's enmity.

Angon: Lowers targets defense.

Spirit Surge: Your one hour ability. Eats your wyvern to give you a ton of accuracy, attack, defense, max HP, str, and haste. Your Jump, High Jump, and Super Jump cooldowns end. Jump lowers defense like Angon. High Jump wipes out the target's TP. Super Jump reduces the enmity of the nearest person to the Dragoon by 50%.

Fly High: Your second one hour cooldown. Jump timers are reset and for the 30 seconds Fly High is acctive the cooldown is 10 seconds.

The Wyvern: Every 20 minutes you can call this little bastard and it lasts until it dies or you eat it with your one hour. When its HP is less than 100% you can link with it restoring it's HP, leveling it up(gives the wyvern some attack and defense and you some atk/def/haste), and it transfers half the wyvern's TP to you. The little punk gives you a bunch of attack and defense as well as double attack in the late game and should always be out.

Your wyvern has breaths. It will use a breath depending on your Sub Job.
DPS Jobs give an elemental breath after you weaponskill.
Casters give a healing breath when you cast a spell and any party member is under 1/3 max HP. It will remove poison/blind/paralysis status effects on your party when you weaponskill.
Paladin/Ninja/Dark/Bard/Rune give BOTH breaths but healing only works on you and only at 1/4 max HP. It can't remove status effects.

You may force it to use elemental or healing breath at level 90 every 1 minute.

Oh and you can do emotes with it and name it. It's alright I guess.

Notable Abilities/Traits As A Sub Job:

Jump/High Jump: fast cooldown attacks and one sheds hate! Once you reach master levels you also get Super Jump. That is absurd.

Attack Bonus: Good (+10)
Accuracy Bonus: Cool (+10)
Conserve TP: Neat (15-18% chance)
+Two Hand Damage: drat Son (9.7%)
Weaponskill Damage Boost: HOLY poo poo (7-10%) <ONLY DRAGOON GETS THIS AS A TRAIT! This works on all hits of a weaponskill. For reference Dragoon as a main Job gets 21-31%.

poo poo... I think Dragoon might be a really good DPS Sub Job.

Cool Weapon Skills:

Sonic Thrust: Strongest physical AoE in the game.
Stardiver: Lower's targets critical hit evasion(basically ups crit rate in most cases). Hardest hitting spear weaponskill.
Drakesbane: Higher crit rate with more TP, can hit for as much as Stardiver with it's relic weapon.
Camlann's Torment: Ignores defense based on TP spent.
Impulse Drive : Hits hard. Used for chaining.

So the unique thing about all these weaponskills is they are all different chain property types. You can start or add on to all sorts of skillchains for your group. You also self skillchain pretty easy with all your TP generation. Hell your Aeonic weapon lets you spam Stardiver to make a darkness skillchain.

Summary:

Dragoon was originally pretty rough to play. You know the core part of the Job, the wyvern? That used to be your TWO HOUR COOLDOWN. If it died you were poo poo out of luck. Nowadays it is a great DPS and a great Sub Job option. You don't do anything really unique in a group other than being able to shed your enmity and wyvern breath shenanigans but your numbers are nice and big and that counts for something.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One day while walking through Northern San d'Oria I happen upon a nervous looking young woman with an old suit of armor. I've been around the block before, this is the start of an adventure(derogatory). How can I help?

This seems harmless. Sure. Why not?

She's still a bundle of nerves but thanks me as we head inside. Don't worry crafters give me bad vibes too.

Poor thing.

As we leave we bump into an old fellow.

Sure thing kid. Maybe not all crafters are soulless husks after all.

Beat up a beastman and take a stone from the desert ruins. Easy.

I return to Miaux who is waiting for me with a spear as a reward.

What a happy ending.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I head though the port back to my Mog House I cut through the warehouse where I first learned of Dragoons. Seems the two lads are being worked to the bone.

Oh boy...

He loses eye contact with his boss.

Time to roll up my sleeves and help this fellow out.

On the auction house they are 40k each, else we need to craft it ourselves.

6/10 score on that save.

Hrm...

I head home for the day.

Next evening I check on Arminibit and Ceraulian.

Wow, I don't even get a say in this. Still I do like money...

Needle in a haystack. Though from the description of the woman who aided Brugaire it sounds like someone I know...

Okay so there's a bit to unpack here. That kind old man was Brugaire's father and he must have kicked the bucket after helping Miaux out that night. Huh... Wild... Anyway I have an earring and my best guess other than walking around asking everyone about it is to head to the goldsmithing guild in Bastok and ask if they've ever seen one like it.

My heartwarming lesson detector is starting to beep.

She's in Ronfaure. In one of the towers.

I honestly can't judge her too much but it is poor taste to mug someone after a funeral. Anyway this has had nothing to do with Dragoons yet and going by this update's title I'm guessing it has to do with that.

Standard thief code stuff. Don't snitch but also screw over your employer for additional gain when able.

I give her back her earring. Apparently it's lucky.

The island is mostly barren. The armor is buried on the edge of one of the cliffs.

I deal with the trap, dig up the armor, and head back home.

He heads to leave but Rahal shows up before he can make it out the door.

I mean he's right. I met him exactly twice and have a high opinion of him just from those few minutes.

I'm marking this down as a heartwarming lesson. Anyway it looks like I got a suit of armor out of this. Well aside from the helmet.

Better late than never. Really really late, but I think Brugaire knows that.

Seeing Rahal did remind me I should go bug him about wyvern stuff and learn more about Dragoons sometime.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, the FFXI protagonist really does end up being everyone's therapist.

Also how well-hidden are these quests? Are any of them missable or are they reasonably signposted?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I dunno if it's any different now but back when I played there was absolutely no indication that talking to any NPC would start a quest until you did and their quest was in your log. Some quests were very conditional too, and you better believe some random-rear end NPC might have a very important quest for you, but only after you've dumped a few hundred units of Zinc ore into the repeatable quest on the other side of town.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Wait, did you just steal that armor? Didn't it have an original owner who wanted to have it repaired?

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Fat and Useless posted:

Full Moon Fountain

It can't be stated enough but for me, the first time I actually went and got an Ark Pentasphere for myself, and actually saw what the Full Moon Fountain does, loving blew me away. There's nothing else quite like that in the game in terms of scenery doing sudden unexpected stuff.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, the FFXI protagonist really does end up being everyone's therapist.

Also how well-hidden are these quests? Are any of them missable or are they reasonably signposted?

Chillgamesh posted:

I dunno if it's any different now but back when I played there was absolutely no indication that talking to any NPC would start a quest until you did and their quest was in your log. Some quests were very conditional too, and you better believe some random-rear end NPC might have a very important quest for you, but only after you've dumped a few hundred units of Zinc ore into the repeatable quest on the other side of town.

There is nothing usually to indicate an NPC has a quest. To start the original Dragoon quest you randomly walk into a warehouse in port San d'Oria and click on dingus and bingus to get a few lines of dialog hinting you at the next step.

In this Dragoon quest you are not told who helped Brugaire, that you need to go to Bastok, or where Esca actually is from the goldsmith. I expedited those bits just to move us to the spot because the real experience is either talk to everyone everywhere or pray an NPC gives extra dialog after the cutscene. FF11 was extremely a share information with others game, pioneers died so that we today now have 2 wikis due to drama, 2 subreddits due to other drama, and a handful of forums to look up where the one correct indescript magic pixel on the map is.

Regallion posted:

Wait, did you just steal that armor? Didn't it have an original owner who wanted to have it repaired?

Brugaire hadn't seen his father in years and when he had still been around him his dad had that armor for years without the owner returning. It's safe to say the owner probably isn't coming back for it and even if they did the smith is dead so good luck ever finding it. If you are worried about that poor merchant whose verbal agreement was broken, nothing can be done about that my hands are tied. And about me stealing from a thief... Yeah I'm a thief too and besides the legalist owner we had "hired" me to get it back. It is odd they wanted the armor buried on a lone island you can only get to by going through a crypt though.

Also next update we will learn about the "Last Dragoon" and why anyone having this armor is extremely odd. It wasn't extremely clear in the original Dragoon quest, at any time my holy sign could go unholy and I'd be up poo poo creek. Remind me to keep track of how damaged Visaria's soul is by the end of this game.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 12, 2023

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

Remind me to keep track of how damaged Visaria's soul is by the end of this game.

:allears: Aht Urhgan awaits.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gesundheit?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

Brugaire hadn't seen his father in years and when he had still been around him his dad had that armor for years without the owner returning. It's safe to say the owner probably isn't coming back for it and even if they did the smith is dead so good luck ever finding it. If you are worried about that poor merchant whose verbal agreement was broken, nothing can be done about that my hands are tied. And about me stealing from a thief... Yeah I'm a thief too and besides the legalist owner we had "hired" me to get it back. It is odd they wanted the armor buried on a lone island you can only get to by going through a crypt though.

Wait, that isn't the same armor that you had to go get a stone to repair, that started the whole quest chain?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Regallion posted:

Wait, that isn't the same armor that you had to go get a stone to repair, that started the whole quest chain?

Nope. She got her armor back the same evening. It was the last thing he did before he died. That's why she was at the funeral paying her respects.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
I don't know how the state of things are now, but Dragoon used to be one of the very few jobs capable of soloing to any degree. Soloing in FFXI was nigh impossible with enemies having orders of magnitude more HP than players, but with a mage subjob and the right spells to trigger healing breaths you could just be one step from death and never quite die. It was kind of awesome, and soloing the Sea Horror was a sort of rite of passage for Dragoons at one point.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Mr. Vile posted:

I don't know how the state of things are now, but Dragoon used to be one of the very few jobs capable of soloing to any degree. Soloing in FFXI was nigh impossible with enemies having orders of magnitude more HP than players, but with a mage subjob and the right spells to trigger healing breaths you could just be one step from death and never quite die. It was kind of awesome, and soloing the Sea Horror was a sort of rite of passage for Dragoons at one point.

Trusts for the most part ended this. The thing max level trusts can't do well is do damage comparable to a player. So in a solo situation you would want to try and maximize your damage over things like healing breath as trusts will have tanking and healing covered. If you can't bring a trust though then yes you could maybe see a use for healing breath triggered by Sub Job choice but you can also just force the wyvern to use it every 60 seconds now regardless of Sub Job.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Pity, it was always fun beating down on things you had no right fighting and actually managing to win. Confused the hell out of people who didn't know how the trick works.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Mr. Vile posted:

Pity, it was always fun beating down on things you had no right fighting and actually managing to win. Confused the hell out of people who didn't know how the trick works.

This is how I felt about RDM/NIN or Blue Mage in general. You're right that it's a great feeling to defy expectations in this game.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This is how I felt about RDM/NIN or Blue Mage in general. You're right that it's a great feeling to defy expectations in this game.

Oh yeah it is. RDM/NIN was undeniably better at soloing but it was so goddamned slow and safe. DRG solo was like a car crash in slow motion that somehow never actually stopped.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I had specifically leveled Staff a bunch on my Paladin for soloing.

There’s a weapon skill higher up called Spirit Taker that just let you do a straight damage to enemy > gets returned as MP back to you. It would do 2 or 300 damage, which back then actually recovered a significant amount of Paladins mp pool.

So you’d be PLD/NIN, just using a big 2 handed staff(there was one that was mainly higher damage), slowly losing the war of attrition with your shadows and self curing, and then bam! Spirit Taker and you’re mostly back to full.

I could solo stuff like deep Eldieme coffee mobs easily, which was pretty impressive to see if you were a level 50 guy. I mostly used it to solo the Very Tough phuabo monsters at the back of sea to get organs for the justice sword(that I got for cheap because I was in the area when an RMT group killed that jailer but didn’t have a buyer for the sword).

Frig I love FFXI.

Edit: I actually leveled staff up all the way to compete the ws trials and get Retribution, which wasnt much more than a neat “hey check this out” kinda thing

Capital Letdown fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 16, 2023

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Capital Letdown posted:

There’s a weapon skill higher up called Spirit Taker that just let you do a straight damage to enemy > gets returned as MP back to you. It would do 2 or 300 damage, which back then actually recovered a significant amount of Paladins mp pool.

So you’d be PLD/NIN, just using a big 2 handed staff(there was one that was mainly higher damage), slowly losing the war of attrition with your shadows and self curing, and then bam! Spirit Taker and you’re mostly back to full.

I could solo stuff like deep Eldieme coffee mobs easily, which was pretty impressive to see if you were a level 50 guy. I mostly used it to solo the Very Tough phuabo monsters at the back of sea to get organs for the justice sword(that I got for cheap because I was in the area when an RMT group killed that jailer but didn’t have a buyer for the sword).

Frig I love FFXI.

Edit: I actually leveled staff up all the way to compete the ws trials and get Retribution, which wasnt much more than a neat “hey check this out” kinda thing

:hf: Phuabo solo buddy. Spirit Taker was great, and with Galka DRG/WHM MP it was well over a full MP restore. I actually had to lug around a load of MP boosting gear just to be able to cast Raise, but with the sheer efficiency of getting an effective Cure IV for 7mp there was practically nothing I couldn't outlast even with double digit max MP.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Capital Letdown posted:

This makes me wonder: Is there any max level of total power? Like do you at some point have to de-level one thing to level-up another, or pick one type of specialization over another? Or can you max all the skills and classes and learn all the things, creating one magnificent multitool character that can unfold any horrible piece of their arsenal given time?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Dragoon Part 2

Hey Rahal, I'm not dead yet.

Oh?

Anxiety

Then why on earth do I have his armor?

I'm on it coach!

Wait. Why are you drawing your sword?

It was an empty suit of armor, but it was moving...

Cripes there is more of them.

And that is why I respect Curilla and Rahal.

Anyway I should probably get this solved, it is a little ridiculous to have armor shambling around inside the chateau.

Back to the port!

Seems they were actually waiting for me...

Yeah... Sorry.

I head off into the desert and start searching for coffers inside the tunnel. Unfortunately the coffer I need is behind this here boulder...

The gimmick of this boulder is it goes away at certain times of the day... Based on moon phase... Uggggggggggggh. I don't need to wait long though. Every vanaday it is open for the majority of the day, I just got unlucky.

Ah, lovely there's only a piece of paper in the chest. Someone beat me here. Back to Rahal.

For those who don't remember that's the old man on the tower that taught us to Paladin.

Despair

So he never figured out the point and needs a beating. Got it.

I don't know if that is really cool or very concerning.

I stop by Rahal before I go hunting.

Judging from the moving armor I'm sure there are black arts involved.

Anyway I need to go to Uggh.

My wyvern leads me to this room early in the temple(thank the Goddess).

Upon reaching the spot two shades jump me.

After the fight I find the helmet on the ground.

Seems like I've found the fallen knight.

Fury

He likes the baby.

You are ruining this heartwarming moment.

He flees...

Recollection

Into Rahal.

Oh boy I think it is about to be story time! I love story time!

So for example if I was ever to do an evil I would suffer the same fate.

I get the feeling they were the closest of friends.

I can't help but smile.

And with that he fades away...

We head back to San d'Oria. I check in with him once more when we arrive.

And the lads in the port too for good measure, after all I think I'm technically on the job still.

Well, I learned something at least.

Let's go make a good future for both of us lil wyvern.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

This makes me wonder: Is there any max level of total power? Like do you at some point have to de-level one thing to level-up another, or pick one type of specialization over another? Or can you max all the skills and classes and learn all the things, creating one magnificent multitool character that can unfold any horrible piece of their arsenal given time?

You can max everything(you do have some caps on certain merit point spender picking) and make everything. Realistically you will never do it on more than a handful of Jobs because of the shear amount of time it takes to reach the cap of power. I have the equipment mini-update written and that will hopefully give some idea of what craziness is involved for that specific power climb.

To sum power up you have:

Merits: These get capped reasonably fast and most of them can be shared between Jobs, Visaria is about halfway done with them.

Job Points: These take a while to gain all 2100, these are per Job only. Visaria has 214 across her Jobs.

Gear: Depending on the content the gear is from it can take very well put together geared groups, a lot of gil, and a good amount of time and luck to get every little thing for a single Job.

Artifacts: Time and money. It takes less time to max your JP than it does to grind one of these weapons out to max but massive amounts of gil can speed it up to an extent. Some parts you just can't buy. Armor is less demanding than the weapons. You can get away with not making all of it.

Master Points: It takes 30,000,000 Exemplar Points(EP) to reach max master level(50) and you need some extra to not level down. This is not shared between Jobs. Deaths make you lose a TON of EP(worst case is 67,092 EP). To start the most you get from killing certain types of mobs is about 1k but realistically you are going to be getting around 500 on the easier mobs. As your master level goes up you earn less EP as your level technically goes up and the mobs you fight stay the same. It is rare to see someone max their master level but as seen with the Dragoon abilities the reward can be game changing. To those who long for old 11 where deaths meant something... When it meant losing hours if you don't have a raise. Here, enjoy. You aren't doing this on more than one Job without botting it.

Crafting: No

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
just popping in to say Mithra are infinitely better than Miqo'te don't quote me

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That was a surprisingly touching Dragoon quest, not what I expected at all.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 24: Lightbringer

After some side adventures I check in with the gate guard to see if there is anything new for me.

Ah my favorite royal. She has yet to disappoint me and I dread the day she does. Anyway... Flowers. Gonna go look at em.

I'm here princess! I sure hope I didn't miss you being the one decent person in this city!

Nope! Didn't miss it!

All I'm saying is she could be queen and I'd be fine with it.

I admit I'm not really a flower looker, I was just doing this for the princess. Eh. Anyway back to the gate guard for some real work.

He's talking about the burning circle. Time to crash an orc party I guess?

Burning Circle

Hey hey hey! I'm here to ruin your day!

They are absolutely no match for me. After I dispatch them a plate clad mystery person shows up.

.... (I will not snark)

Oh thank the Goddess someone I can snark on.

He teleports away before I can say that he wasn't helpful at all. Anyway I'll take this crystal dowser thing back. I feel like I'm just getting started on a wild day...

She put a e in it and called it a day for Goddess sake!

Fine! Yeah! Lets do this now I guess!

Recollection

---Meanwhile---

Do it for Claidie...

Do it for the princess...

Jump down the sand sphincter for her...

She says nice things about you and tries her best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prelude

I get to stand with the normal people! Oh I know that armor. My fishing father and son are here. Oh and I guess Rochefogne too.

Repression

No I didn't. Thant is great my man. What the ever-loving hell is your deal?

Ah we are going to do this then. Look your dad was already dead when I killed him...

I could probably stop this. I'm not going to. But I could.

Sorry about your day princess. I'm not stepping on this beehive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chateau d'Oraguille

I immediately get called to the clubhouse meeting.

It means this is now a pissing match... Come on...

Or we could throw it into a volcano like the ghosts wanted and let Claidie be queen.

Why am I even here?

If I find the sword I'm throwing it into a volcano...

I thought we were friends...

Okay so this is in an annoying part of Uggh. The tonberry that drops the key to get in the spot we need are way off someplace else. We can TRY to cheese the door open by making a pot on the other side of the door angry with magic but if none are near the door we need the key...

None were near the door. I tried for like 15 minutes. That is how bad I didn't want to go hunt that key.

This is actually an okay leveling spot if you don't mind making tonberry hate grow.

Now we hop around 4 rooms and find some key pieces. Put them together and open a door into an ambush of 2 stone guardians. Once they are out of the way we head inside and find...

NOTHING! Shite. Well time to report this directly to the king I guess?

(They made me go to Uggh and hunt that key for nothing...)

Time to do a round up of everyone involved!

I don't have the time to figure out which island and I'm afraid to ask!

Reassuring!

I'm feeling more dread than I usually do... Don't know why. Bastok has these things called elections, maybe we could give that a shot?

Next time: I should probably stop this

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Fat and Useless posted:

Next time: I should probably stop this

All that is missing is this :effort:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Rhapsodies Chapter 1: Siren

Iroha

Waiting for royals is my bane and I have nothing important to do. Let's go check on Iroha, that's important.

It's been a while hasn't it? Let's recap...

The future is screwed and Iroha, the last person alive(also my pupil I guess), got blasted back to this time period to find me so I can fix it. There's an orb that glows, a bell that rings, patches of darkness already springing up, and sometimes Iroha poofs out of existence.

Dealing with the Shadow Lord was my assignment and dealt with he was. In the meantime Iroha went to go look into the angry bell problem. "Gilgamesh awaits me in Norg", that is what my weird Iroha dream tells me at least.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You have traveled across land, sea, and sky, bathed in the light and stopping darkness wherever it threatens the living."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I zoned out a little there... Man did I put some kind of incredible weight on my shoulders. I really really can't disappoint this poor girl, she just believes in me so much. Stupid future self trying to build me up to be some demigoddess. This is how time loops get started dumbass. My brain is starting to melt thinking about this so I'm just gonna go investigate this bell stuff going on outside Norg.

And so we set off, the bell isn't hard to find. Just follow the ringing.

See?

Oh it stopped...

Oh.

Yeah I hate this. Future me's problem is now officially me's problem.

She starts entangling Zeid too, while I'm distracted by this happening to Zeid for the 5th time I don't see what's going on behind me.

But Iroha does.

That's my girl!

(I am now aware of what is going on)

Looks like Iroha is poofing out of existence after that.

Our masked adversary seems unfazed but does desummon Siren...

and flies away...

Zeid and me give chase outside the cave, we can mourn Iroha later.

He stops at a jungle pool.

We need to actually stop whatever is going on. Is he trying to make another Escha? Right here and now?

Zeid gets entangled again. So it is just me against Siren...

I am not joking when I say this fight is on my list of the hardest fights I will ever have. Siren as you may guess can charm. I've talked charm up before but the fast version is that if you get charmed your trusts go away and your not trust party members will be one shot by you.

She WILL charm you and the fight WILL reset. When this happens you might be able to resummon your trusts. If you are in a party getting help with this you pray your little rear end off no one dies. The charm is a cone and not everyone will get hit. On top of the charm, like all RoV fights she is pretty hard. The rewards from RoV are very strong and normally you want to do as much as you can get away with as soon as you can, I wouldn't touch this fight until level 80 at least.

I waited to do this until I had 119 gear and still it came to this.

Anyway I managed to resummon my trusts out of combat without her despawning and beat her.

He seems unable to recall siren now. He poofs off, not the last we'll see of him... Anyway Siren is still here. I haven't brought it up yet but Siren should be in Adoulin. The bell had something to do with Geomancy I think. I'm not really an expert on talking to rocks or whatever. But yeah, kinda far from home isn't she? That jackass went all the way across the sea to kidnap a divine avatar. I think she can just poof back now if she wants though.

It's alright Zeid she repoofs.

My crystal jellybean glows and turns azure. To my disappointment this isn't a true pact and I can't summon her at will as I would carbuncle. Maybe someday though!

Well anyhow we fixed the bell problem, I'm sure it will get worse than that. Gilgamesh will probably let me know if Iroha or the Ambassador re-poofs. I admit though I'm a slight bit worried by the darkness focusing on this era stuff. Oh well. Back to whatever petty royal bullshit I was taking care of.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So with status effects like Charm, do they always take effect or is there some sort of save or resistance roll against them?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PurpleXVI posted:

So with status effects like Charm, do they always take effect or is there some sort of save or resistance roll against them?

You can resist them. A lot of status effects have Bar-spells, like Barpoison for Poison, which contra to the name don't offer immunity, but a chance to resist the effect. In addition, every ability in the game, more or less, has an element, and in the case of status effects resisting the element of the debuff is equivalent to resisting the debuff. Things that resist Water can't easily be Poisoned, for example, because Poison (both status effect and spell) is water-elemental. Barpoison is Thunder element, because thunder beats water. Charm is Light elemental iirc, so boosting Light resistance will help you resist it. There is no Bar-charm. Some abilities like Paladin's Fealty just give you a flat (high) chance to resist any status.

Resisting a status isn't a flat hit/miss thing either. Partial resists are a thing. If you stack water and poison resist enough you can Fully Resist it, but even if you don't full resist, a partial resist can cut its duration down to 1/2 or 1/4 (or 1/8? I know those are the boundaries for elemental damage resist).

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 25, 2023

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

And what makes charm a real fucker is there is no barcharm or barlight, you'll need to find light resist on equipment. Paladin's one real use as a Sub Job is that it has a bonus to resisting sleep which can be niche on some things. Status effects are deadly and bar spells are mandatory on a hell of a lot of fights. Weather and day might also screw with accuracy of debuffs, not entirely sure. Mind and Int depending on the Job also effects accuracy of debuffs(and spells in general), so slapping enfeebling casters with an int or mind down can't hurt.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, weather provides a MAcc bonus to corresponding elements, but I'm not sure if it provides a debuff to elements it counters. I don't know if Poison is less accurate on Thundersday in the middle of a lightning storm. Gut says no or landing Gravity spells in Beaucedine would be hell.

The FFXI system is gloriously over-complex. It's one of the reasons I enjoyed the game so much.

Magic Accuracy is related to the differential between your casting stat and the enemy's. For a MND-based debuff like Slow, this will be the difference between your MND and the enemy's MND, or dMND. Generally speaking, when your MND is lower, 1 MND is 1 Magic Accuracy, and when yours is higher, 2 MND is 1 Magic Accuracy. Magic Accuracy is also just a stat you can get on armour. The counterpart is Magic Evasion. So in the same way that increasing your MND increases the chances of you landing that Slow spell, increasing your MND increases your chances at resisting or fully resisting the enemy's Slow spell. Element and status resists add on to Magic Evasion directly. But MND also affects the potency of the debuffs you cast, so all those fledgling RDMs I used to see wearing as much MAcc gear as they could might land their Slows slightly more often, but they'd be 10% slows instead of 25% slows. While duration is affected by resists, potency isn't -- a half-resisted 25% slow is still a 25% slow, it only lasts half as long as it would've. Stacking raw stats (STR, INT, MND etc) usually beats out stacking derived stats (Attack, Magic Accuracy) for this reason.

Another thing that makes Charm a fucker is that its governing stat is Charisma. So the magic accuracy is based on dCHR, which is a dump stat for every class that isn't Bard or Beastmaster. So in addition to the lack of protective spells, most people wouldn't even have a passing resistance to Charm because almost nobody would be wearing CHR gear for any reason.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

I waited to do this until I had 119 gear and still it came to this.

Anyway I managed to resummon my trusts out of combat without her despawning and beat her.

The first time I tried this, I wasn't so lucky :ohdear:

Fat and Useless posted:

And what makes charm a real fucker is there is no barcharm or barlight

Ah, but there is Light Carol! (Once again BRD does something literally no other job can do)

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Bregor posted:

The first time I tried this, I wasn't so lucky :ohdear:

Ah, but there is Light Carol! (Once again BRD does something literally no other job can do)

1. Same on my other character and once I was helping a poor little Red Mage do this and cleaved them in half.

2. I have never played Bard and never will. Until I have to do the quest. Same goes for Beast.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

2. I have never played Bard and never will. Until I have to do the quest. Same goes for Beast.

I played BRD back in the 75-cap years. Colibri camp BRD was fun. Endgame event BRD was not.

When I came back, I thought I might start it up again. Then my friends told me you need 4 REMAs to properly do BRD and that was the end of that chapter.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I guess we now have solid suggestions for the next classes to explore.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Bards tend to be a lock in in groups. You get instruments that give more song slots and that right there is the issue for getting your foot in the door, groups want the extra slot from the Empyrean a fresh 119 can't have. I hear they can do pretty reasonable damage too but sub White Mage is still where it's at.

Red, Cor, Geo, and Bard. The bones of a group.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Fat and Useless posted:

And what makes charm a real fucker is there is no barcharm or barlight, you'll need to find light resist on equipment. Paladin's one real use as a Sub Job is that it has a bonus to resisting sleep which can be niche on some things. Status effects are deadly and bar spells are mandatory on a hell of a lot of fights. Weather and day might also screw with accuracy of debuffs, not entirely sure. Mind and Int depending on the Job also effects accuracy of debuffs(and spells in general), so slapping enfeebling casters with an int or mind down can't hurt.

The other big way you can make Charm fizzle is to have a pet tanking. Since they're already pets, it does nothing. I'm honestly not sure if it ever got used for anything that actually matters but it was fun sometimes.

To expand on what was being said earlier about Sneak/Invisible and the various methods of detection, most enemies detect by either sight (cone in front of them) or sound (smaller 360 area) and having the relevant status effect makes you immune to being spotted. I honestly cannot stress enough how big a deal sneak and invisible are (or were). Trying to walk through a zone while not being 20+ levels above everything was a death sentence and sneak/invisible were your only hopes.

In addition to the basic agro methods there was also blood agro, which is found almost exclusively on undead and is part of what makes them so terrifying. Almost every outdoor zone had undead mobs that would spawn at night and were a lot tougher than anything else in the area. As well as being generally higher level, undead type enemies tend to be absolutely lethal, with special mention going to Ghosts. Resistance to all physical damage, an AoE drain move, ability to curse and packing black magic made them certain death to basically anything. Undead mostly detect by sound, but blood agro means that anyone below half HP would get agro from an absolutely ludicrous distance, and it went right through Sneak. FFXI undead were terrifying, y'all.

Beyond that you have the special magic agro, found mostly on arcana and elemental type enemies. It's pretty much what it sounds like, they're aggressive towards anyone casting magic (except ninja spells, because they're not real magic). On arcana (think magically animated things like dolls and evil weapons) it's more of a nuisance than anything, but on elementals, hoo boy. Elementals are things that come out to play during special weather conditions like rain and thunder and so on. They don't agro to anything but magic, but they will absolutely wreck you if they so much as sniff magic. Near immunity to physical damage, powerful magic and being significantly higher level than anything else in the zone meant most parties just straight up stopped during weather conditions and waited for them to leave. There is, however, one major factor that makes magic agro a big deal even if you're just passing through a zone: sneak and invisible are magic. Try to casually walk through an arcana-heavy zone while casting your sneaking spells and all hell breaks loose. Even most players who could cast the spell carried a few stacks of the sneak oil/prism powder items just in case.

A couple of enemies I remember being weird for agro are Ahrimans, which agro to both sight and sound, and Hecteyes, which are blind and agro only to sound despite being made entirely of eyes. I always assumed that was to give them 360 detection, but it's still very weird.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006

Mr. Vile posted:

I honestly cannot stress enough how big a deal sneak and invisible are (or were).

I think Red Mage and White Mage (and therefore, through the subjob system, Black Mage also usually had access) could cast Sneak and Invisible, on themselves or other people.

As well you could also buy items, Silent Oils for Sneak, and Prism Powder's for invisible. They weren't expensive, but they certainly weren't cheap. It was a pretty significant amount of gil to keep stocked up.

As well further, there was a delicate balance - you could perform actions while you had the Sneak effect on, but could not perform actions while you were Invisible. So you had to Sneak first, then Invisible.

Then they'd wear off after 2 or 3 minutes, so you'd have to reapply. Sometimes you'd have to find a little weird corner and just as quick as possible cancel and reapply the status. Some of these zones were pretty big and could take 10+ minutes to cross.

If you were a player that sucked, you would rely on the mage to cast on you the whole time instead of bringing your items. If the mage was stick doing this for multiple players, it would turn a ten minute walk into an hour. Then you finally got to your camp and could grind crabs for 2-4 hours for experience.

Fuckin love this game.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
The real fun thing about Sneak and Invis was that the spells had a random duration. You could cast it and it immediately could start to wear off or it could last an entire zone. It did usually manage to wear off in the absolute worst spots. Always an adventure...

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bmac32 posted:

The real fun thing about Sneak and Invis was that the spells had a random duration. You could cast it and it immediately could start to wear off or it could last an entire zone. It did usually manage to wear off in the absolute worst spots. Always an adventure...

*extremely smug Red Mage with Composure voice* Can't relate. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 25: Assassin

Chateau

I've been summoned to the Chateau and the king is apparently feeling a little under the weather today. Best not keep him waiting.

Oh... Well guess I'm working with the brothers today. I'd rather deal with the king honestly.

I hate the pope.

I'm really not on the side of the kingdom on this one.

In other words you are going to make me go find these mediums in the middle of nowhere.

You can taste the malice I'm giving off right now.

Flattering me doesn't help. (it does)

They've been doing the pissing match thing far longer than you princess. Being the voice of reason isn't fun, no one listens to you. That's why I'm going to go rub my face on every single rock on the continent instead of trying to once again say THE GHOSTS SAID DON'T DO THIS like some crazy Tarutaru nerd who looked at the stars the wrong way. When I'm done we can all enjoy a good I told you so if we are alive. But we won't be.

(Visaria is still muttering in the background)

This would be shocking if I didn't re-kill Rochefogne's dad for the church a few weeks ago.

Can I go mess up this barrier now?

I grumble some and walk off as does the princess.

Please don't get yourself maimed by doing the correct thing.

Here is our first unmarked medium! Revel in the nondescriptness! What zone am I in? Who told me to go to this spot? Am I being followed? These are all questions I'm not going to answer!

Are we having FUN?

Okay this one I can answer. It's on the cliffs where the Dragoon armor got buried. Also it is trapped.

Easily beaten. Gasp! Seems I was followed!

Fury

But what IS Lightbringer. It's a sword, but why? What could the orcs do with the drat thing? Why do I have Ghosts, as in more than one, hollering about the sword?

Someone for the love of the Goddess explain anything!

And now I'm baby sitting! Goddess please!

I'm begging you answer her or cut me down!

I'm out.

I regret to inform you princess that your brothers have in fact sent assassins over this poo poo.

Don't worry folks, as my favorite noble she is safe. Brave, slightly disillusioned, and in over her head. But safe. They can do whatever they want to Rochefogne though, he's a big boy.

They are actually gonna do this eh?

Rochefogne threw himself in front of the blade and fell to the ocean bellow. I had it under control but thanks I guess. FOR NOT EXPLAINING ANYTHING! Jerk.

Anyway if you hurt her I will kill you all with a Carbuncle.

Looks like you are going swimming. Have fun...

He isn't wrong, I would if I could. They leave and I'm left with a sad girl.

I escort her back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anxiety

What remaining details...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile...

Next time: Why haven't I stopped this?