Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Storkrasch posted:

Murmansk was always the traitorous domain of cowards and scoundrels. Russia will be stronger without it, and Ukraine will rot from the inside. Anyone choosing to return to glorious and eternal Russia will be provided with their very own Khrushovka in Vorkuta, along with all the circus tickets they desire.

Circus pictured:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v6a0z-f9dI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Drone_Fragger posted:

"Russia was right to leave crimea, not only are all thr people there disgusting and would of weakened russias superior gene pool, but also, it was haunted by ghosts, big ones. Giving it back to ukraine is much better for Russia in both the short and long term" - RT in loke 3 months, probably.

What do you mean Crimea, there never was such a thing as Crimea, look at this new government approved map, there's only Western Sea of Azov, and you can't occupy or lose a sea.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

teen witch posted:

That sounds aggressively raggare, to simply “not know” what symbols mean

God, they can be so obnoxious.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
overview of publicly known information on newly formed brigades and their equipment

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1650590089297141760

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

teen witch posted:

That sounds aggressively raggare, to simply “not know” what symbols mean

it's just an air force roundel. what could it possibly mean?

This was spectacular, thank you!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Looks like Finland joining Nato has had a marked and practical effect on the experience of traveling to Russia.

quote:

Russian border officials have been demanding the IMEI codes for the mobile phones of Finnish border crossers. This came to light after Yle interviewed Finns who had been detained for questioning by Russian border officials. Several Finns have been pulled aside for interrogations after Finland joined Nato in early April.

The IMEI code is a 15 digit long identifier unique to each phone, which makes it possible to monitor and track a phone in a mobile network. The code does not change when the user switches SIM cards.

According to the head of information security for Finnish mobile operator Elisa, Teemu Mäkelä, with the IMEI code Russian government officials can track the phone's user through Russia if they connect to Russian networks.

If they collect personal information from the phone's carrier together with the IMEI code, they can match these together and track the user as they move within the network.

According to Mäkelä an IMEI code handed over to Russian officials at the border doesn't let Russian officials track the user in Finland, because they have no access to Finnish mobile networks.

Teemu Mäkelä recommends that Finns traveling to Russia leave their normal mobile phone at home before going. It's better to go into Russia with a burner phone.

- You can buy a cheap mobile phone as your Russian phone.

---

There's additional information about these interrogations in another article.

---

quote:

Several Finns have been detained for questioning at border crossings by Russian guards after Finland joined Nato in early April.

- The passport checker immediately grabbed his phone and said my name after my passport had been in the automatic scanner, says a Finnish man who was detained last Saturday at Russia's Brushnitsnoe border crossing. Brushnitsnoe is a border crossing located south east of Lappeenranta's Nuijamaa border crossing.

The man does not wish to reveal his name because he doesn't want any more trouble with Russian officials.

He says that after crossing the border, guards apprehended him and took him to the main border guard building for interrogation. The interrogator was a man in civilian clothing, and he was especially intersted in the man's connections to the Finnish Defence Force.

- They went over all my army business, ie. my military rank, my service branch and if I have any friends who are currently in the Finnish Defence Force, the man explains.

Yle has discovered four Finnish people, who have been detained by Russian officials as they crossed over the border at Brushnitsnoe. Yle interviewed two of them. Both shared similar stories. The officials were interested in their military rank, service branch and base, and possible connections to the Finnish Defence Force.

In addition to information about military service, they also asked for mobile phone information, questioned their connections to Russia and their intentions during their visit.

The interrogations which Yle has heard about happened after Finland joined Nato, ie. during this past month. The interrogations were handled properly, and neither man considered the situation threatening.

- It wasn't pleasant or anything, but neither was it especially heated, said one of the men Yle talked with.

~73% of Finnish men (and a couple thousand women) from each age group complete our mandatory military service, so a lot of us have some kind of military rank, so it's not like "what's your military rank" is some kind of insane gotcha and it's pretty obvious they're just pulling people aside to hassle them and play their dumb games of tracking average people to prove some kind of point.

It's pretty comical and I can't help but wonder what the reaction in Russia would be if Finnish border guards started getting tracking info for the busloads of Russians who roll over the border to buy crap from Gigantti. And also as a reminder, this is the country whose completely innocent normal everyday Russian citizens, honest, no connection to the government or FSB, anyway here's a couple of million in cash, are buying land near our military installations and infrastructure for no reason at all.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 25, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Russians who roll over the border to buy crap from Gigantti.

Those tourists BTW do not exist anymore due to sanctions and limitations. As a result, all the huge shopping center areas near the border crossings and for example in Lappeenranta and Kotka are ghost towns.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Looks like Finland joining Nato has had a marked and practical effect on the experience of traveling to Russia.

---

---

~73% of Finnish men (and a couple thousand women) from each age group complete our mandatory military service, so a lot of us have some kind of military rank, so it's not like "what's your military rank" is some kind of insane gotcha and it's pretty obvious they're just pulling people aside to hassle them and play their dumb games of tracking average people to prove some kind of point.

It's pretty comical and I can't help but wonder what the reaction in Russia would be if Finnish border guards started getting tracking info for the busloads of Russians who roll over the border to buy crap from Gigantti. And also as a reminder, this is the country whose completely innocent normal everyday Russian citizens, honest, no connection to the government or FSB, anyway here's a couple of million in cash, are buying land near our military installations and infrastructure for no reason at all.

Maybe they should stop crossing the border into Russia?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Mucu like northern ireland and republic of ireland, i suspect there is is people in finland who have russian relatives and family.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

teen witch posted:

Goddamn they really need to get a new flag design, even if unintentional.

Why, it's also a racist terrorist state

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NTRabbit posted:

That is the official recommendation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and I don't think too many Finns are traveling to Russia these days, but I guess some might have family or other pressing issues that require travel there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

---

---

wow im sure edward snowden is going to respond to this

ed snow: *kermitishly* "hrmmm yes. They told me it was the Sims 3 video game they were after."

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Why, it's also a racist terrorist state

Yea I'm p sure that resemblance is a feature, not a bug

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Reports trickling in that HIMARS have been moved to Zaporizhzia and a number of targets, including a railway hub and military base, have just been flattened. Sounds like the counter-offensive might be underway.

This whole thread is worth a quick read for an overview of the situation.
https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1650792615783305217

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ukraine has the Battle Toad. Once they have the second one, it's game over for vatniks.

https://i.imgur.com/dQ6KUMp.mp4

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

pablo gbscobar posted:

Reports trickling in that HIMARS have been moved to Zaporizhzia and a number of targets, including a railway hub and military base, have just been flattened. Sounds like the counter-offensive might be underway.

This whole thread is worth a quick read for an overview of the situation.
https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1650792615783305217

The Guardian lending weight via a decent source that the raids across the Dnipo at Kherson are more than just Ukraine doing some hit and run

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f087731d3ccd510

Meaning this might be not as far fetched as it seems?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQLWE__W_II

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/RightWingCope/status/1650277683933085697?t=uUGG4abnQxEeuiNvQz1BYw&s=19

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

mobby_6kl posted:

Ukraine has the Battle Toad. Once they have the second one, it's game over for vatniks.

https://i.imgur.com/dQ6KUMp.mp4

Don't doxx me.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
are they afraid of something?

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1650794567006822401

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

As a prolific armchair general (in my own head) i would say anything around Kherson is a distraction but not one that the russian forces can just ignore.

For the russians ability to withdraw in good order; the Kherson withdrawal was planned in advance and the man in overall control of it got replaced, so we'll see how that works out for them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ze germans are planning to land planes again

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Just Another Lurker posted:

As a prolific armchair general (in my own head) i would say anything around Kherson is a distraction but not one that the russian forces can just ignore.

I tend to agree but mostly because a cross river attack would be highly challenging and probably not a good idea.

Now watch it actually be a full blown attack because Russia thought that too and they left the bank basically unguarded and Ukraine get a big foothold before defense can do anything about it.

(It wont the be the only place Ukraine attacks, they probably will have two or more points they are going to roll on so I think it's def a diversion for the real hit further north)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I'm guessing they don't do May Day parades there anymore but surely they're not going to cancel victory day parades in the middle of a war?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russias-new-t-14-armata-battle-tank-debuts-ukraine-ria-2023-04-25/

quote:

Russia's new T-14 Armata battle tank debuts in Ukraine - RIA

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The end of that article is hilarious.

2300 tanks by 2020!

OK can't quite make that, stretch it to 2025!

*foreign intelligence estimates around 10 tanks in 2023*

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Excited to see the T34 refits on the front is my head translation

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

Excited to see the T34 refits on the front is my head translation

If they can hold out another 11 years it will be cutting edge again because thats how it works, right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

*Some Ukrainian soldier with Javelin* : "....aaaannnds it gone.,"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
PS1 rear end looking tanks

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Barudak posted:

If they can hold out another 11 years it will be cutting edge again because thats how it works, right?

Yeah 100%, and this will happen because

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

T(sar)-(19)14 tank inbound

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
UAF asked for the AUS Hawkei from Thales, and were told “no shits dangerous at speed”

Cue our government trying to walk the comments back given the $$$ spent

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Alan Smithee posted:

T(sar)-(19)14 tank inbound

Ukraine requests Jim West, desperado, from NATO partners.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

That's for celebrations of WW2 ending though.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1650797230629040131?t=od1h8lgeyre2LYJuGOVhOw&s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

That's for celebrations of WW2 ending though.

can't celebrate the end of the Great Patriotic War if it's not over

there's nazis in Ukraine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5yPuiJHlYo&t=110s

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
It's worthless bogland and not worth much but lol if russia leaves Ukraine to reinforce it and it turns into something that ends up getting a bridge repaired or something.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

quote:

RIA said that the tanks have been fitted with extra protection on their flanks and crews have undergone "combat coordination" at training grounds in Ukraine.

Training grounds in Ukraine? Aren't the bits they annexed super total officially Russia now, not Ukraine? :thunk:

They've probably packed 5 of them on a train to Belgorod or Rostov where they'll be driven by trailer to 10km from the border and filmed firing shots into Ukraine

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 25, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

word has it Iranian president Xerxes has ordered the hellespont to be whipped again to punish NATO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

word has it Iranian president Xerxes has ordered the hellespont to be whipped again to punish NATO

Putin ceremonially making GBS threads his pants after falling over the kerb outside red square, his publicist desperately writing an article for russia today painting it as a dirty protest against invading nato troops and suggesting the decadent west is too weak and feeble to understand putins 7d chess games. :smug: