Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Washin Tong posted:

Valheim has that too. You just have to do the modding sidequest to unlock it. Unless you're on console then you're screwed I think.

It's cool that those mods exist, but it's probably not happening with my crew (we're on a dedicated server, and getting everyone to install the right things is not a quest I want to undertake).

This game could really use a UI/QoL pass. I'd happily trade the Ashlands biome being a couple of months later (so... 2027?) for some nice convenience features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

It's cool that those mods exist, but it's probably not happening with my crew (we're on a dedicated server, and getting everyone to install the right things is not a quest I want to undertake).

Those mods are completely client side, it doesn't matter at all if your friends can't or won't get them, you can just run them by yourself.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah the server trusts the client a lot, so a ton of mods work just on the client side. It’s great cuz people can install their own QoL mods independently - one of my fav lets you use sirtling cores as fuel to give boats a speed boost, and it works entirely client side. The server just goes “okay guess you’re going fast wheee”

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Washin Tong posted:

Those mods are completely client side, it doesn't matter at all if your friends can't or won't get them, you can just run them by yourself.

This. I run a ton of QOL mods that are on my machine only and my friends don't use mods at all.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Wait, I know what the worst UI sin in the game is...

Making Craft and Upgrade options for most items use the same ingredients, and making the buttons small and close together, and always defaulting to "Craft".

The number of materials my group has wasted accidentally crafting a new Silver Sword (or whatever) when they wanted to upgrade is depressing. Yeah, it's totally on us, but everyone's done it at least a couple of times, which makes me think the UI or upgrade system could be better.

Anyway. Killed our first Gjall last night. Those things are scary as gently caress. Mistlands proving to not be too scary as long as you don't get swarmed. We almost always leave at night.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Server question -

Can I spin up a new world in single player then convert it into a dedicated server world later without losing world modifications like buildings?

I want to go hog wild building a base with dev commands and free fly and poo poo in single player, then make that the starting point for a new multi player server.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That's how it works on console, at least. I can just slap a password on my singleplayer world and my brother can hop into it.

e: unless you mean something special by "a dedicated server," in that you want randos to be able to join as opposed to people you invite. I haven't done that so I don't know the exact mechanics there

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Yes, you can run a played single player world on a new dedicated server.

Valheim worlds are made of two files you can move around as you wish (worldname.db and worldname.fwl).

On Windows they're in your AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\worlds or AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\worlds_local
No idea on console, and Linux users already know how to find these things.

If you run a dedicated you can just put the files in the server's worlds_local folder and set the server settings with the world name you want to use and it will load it up, no matter how "played" it is.

The dedicated world folder is normally located in root\DATA\AppData\valheim-server\config\worlds_local

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Preview of difficulty settings

https://twitter.com/jsmars/status/1647968860711145481

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
So many good difficulty options - disable raids, disable skill loss and keep equipped items on death, allow you to take ore/ingots through portals.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Firebert posted:

So many good difficulty options - disable raids, disable skill loss and keep equipped items on death, allow you to take ore/ingots through portals.

Skill loss, items on death and ingots through portals is like 75% of what I use Valheim+ for. Nice to see them taking the good ideas. Now if they include crafting from storage we'll be going somewhere fast.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Firebert posted:

Raids based on progression of currently logged in players also sounds like something that should be part of vanilla Valheim, allowing to play at different paces or new players joining older servers etc.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

raids are hit and miss for me, I've waxed on about it in here before so I'll keep it short. building defenses to protect you base is absolutely fun and good. so having raids that can threaten that are also good. what sucks is the escalating raids that means the picturesque farm and village you made on the starter island gets wrecked one day by fulings or drakes or something that just blow through fences or whatever.

Basically, defensive solutions that truly work are all very aesthetically ugly or even immersion breaking. Either everything must be walled in with a moat, or you raise ground high enough that nothing can scale it . the latter being the primary method of farming in plains and mistlands. Islands off the coast 4 blocks high or whatever. id love a system that rewards you for making a strongly defended central keep or town, but does not force you to make weird eyesores to farm. additionally id love it if raid strength was linked to location, not boss kills. Yeah i should have nasty invasions if i am in/near high level areas, but a meadow by the spawn that is miles away from even a black forest should not have fulings and seekers coming for it.

more than anything though, id love new features that encourage more exploration and sailing, as all of the most fun times in the game have been on excursions with friends in the longship. id like less restrictions on portals but more unique and interesting things that you have to go and find and bring back. Cool weapons or armor, ultra rare mats needed for crafting stuff, whatever. hell make it so you need a certain mat to make portals that teleport metal and stuff so you can only have a few "good" portals

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Basically, defensive solutions that truly work are all very aesthetically ugly or even immersion breaking. Either everything must be walled in with a moat, or you raise ground high enough that nothing can scale it.

Yeah. I'm not a fan of the current defensive solutions, like the ballista that targets anything that moves (including you). Instead it it just comes down to wall on a hill with a sheer drop, followed by another wall with a bunch of crafting tables scattered around to mitigate potential spawn ranges.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Do ballistas shoot at you? I built one to see what it would do, and the answer is apparently nothing at all? Built it on top of a Dvergr hut (the short one, with a basement) that I cleared out, and it just sits up there apparently shooting at nothing at all :iiam:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Do ballistas shoot at you? I built one to see what it would do, and the answer is apparently nothing at all? Built it on top of a Dvergr hut (the short one, with a basement) that I cleared out, and it just sits up there apparently shooting at nothing at all :iiam:
You have to load it with ammo too, and yes it will shoot any anything. To make it stop shooting you, you can use a trophy on it (this does not destroy the trophy) and it will thereafter only target whatever the trophy is.

Ammo can be built at the artisan bench.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Character 2 finally defeated the true boss of the Plains, finding a Vegvisir for Yagluth, and then mercilessly beat him to death with an axe she happened to have lying around. And then that same continent turned out to have an enormous stretch of continental Mistlands, so overall this seed has just been very generous.

Also the oceans are very narrow, with some fortuitous rocks. I’m fairly certain you can swim to two other continents. Alas, Yag’s continent probably needs a boat unless you’re willing to brave a lot of Mistlands first.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

You have to load it with ammo too, and yes it will shoot any anything. To make it stop shooting you, you can use a trophy on it (this does not destroy the trophy) and it will thereafter only target whatever the trophy is.

Ammo can be built at the artisan bench.

Oh yeah I know, they're loaded and I specifically avoided training it with a trophy because I was hoping it would shoot all the things; like gjalls are what I actually want it to shoot, but if it pops some hares so much the better. But yeah it's just not shooting anything, and I'm wondering if it's because it has a stupidly narrow height range in which it's target needs to be.

rjmccall posted:

Character 2 finally defeated the true boss of the Plains, finding a Vegvisir for Yagluth, and then mercilessly beat him to death with an axe she happened to have lying around. And then that same continent turned out to have an enormous stretch of continental Mistlands, so overall this seed has just been very generous.

Also the oceans are very narrow, with some fortuitous rocks. I’m fairly certain you can swim to two other continents. Alas, Yag’s continent probably needs a boat unless you’re willing to brave a lot of Mistlands first.

Seed?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

yYiQg3MLtB

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

A group of friends and I were looking for a dedicated server host for the short term, 3-6 months, and don't want to set up a server ourselves. We have 5 players at the most playing concurrently.

Are any of the hosting options an obvious right or wrong choice (GPortal, ScalaCude, GTX Gaming, etc)? We don't use Valheim Plus (so far...) but it seems they all support it, and the rest of the features are all pretty comparable.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Samadhi posted:

A group of friends and I were looking for a dedicated server host for the short term, 3-6 months, and don't want to set up a server ourselves. We have 5 players at the most playing concurrently.

Are any of the hosting options an obvious right or wrong choice (GPortal, ScalaCude, GTX Gaming, etc)? We don't use Valheim Plus (so far...) but it seems they all support it, and the rest of the features are all pretty comparable.

I'm using GPortal for my server (4-6 people each night) and it has worked very well. On the weekend evenings occasionally there's a little bit of lag that we never experienced when I was hosting the server locally, but otherwise it's been fine.

It was extremely easy to set up: Connect to the game server once (with an empty world) and log out, which creates all the folders on the server. Then you stop the server, upload your world save, point the web interface to it, restart the server, and you're good to go. Mine has been running for about six weeks and we've never had to do any maintenance.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Samadhi posted:

Please let me know how this goes, I'm interested in something similar

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Just going to assume everything I view on the valheim reddit is built in ultra soft core mode after that patch.
I know that mods and dev commands exist, but that looks to be the final nail in the integrity coffin of the game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

Just going to assume everything I view on the valheim reddit is built in ultra soft core mode after that patch.
I know that mods and dev commands exist, but that looks to be the final nail in the integrity coffin of the game.

Are you okay

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

Lmao

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hasselblad posted:

You never built a base in a hard-as-gently caress area just because you could? My dunes base in Subnautica had its own built-in security that tried to eat me every time I came in.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

You never built a base in a hard-as-gently caress area just because you could? My dunes base in Subnautica had its own built-in security that tried to eat me every time I came in.

Right? I built inside the giant moon pool in that big half-sunken ruin and got hassled by a Reaper Leviathan every time I went outside. Everything I did in that game was specifically with the intention of killing that Reaper. It was my goddamn arch nemesis. I could have easily relocated, but it was the principle of the thing. No hosed up snake shark demon was going to tell me where I could or couldn't live. Eventually it became a standard ritual to duel that thing to the death with a grapple + drill Prawn every time I set out on an expedition.

What I'm saying here is that crazed masochism is indeed a cornerstone of these kinds of games, and it's therefore important to implement masochism sliders which enable variously crazed players to enjoy their respective ideal levels of masochism

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

Not my videogame integrity!!!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's about ethics in video game construction

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Glad to click on this thread randomly; I needed a good belly laugh this morning.

Senrab
May 10, 2012
Hollering at my monitor over Minecraft Creative Mode builds.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Odin won't forgive this

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I find grinding for materials a good way to occupy my hands while listening to podcasts, but I can't say I'd ever get mad at someone for using dev commands if they just wanted to build something cool and not have to hunt down every last stone.

Speaking of building cool things, Helm's Deep is coming along.

View from the bottom of the ramp, wooden design mockup of the front gate on the right

View between the walls, wooden stairs will be replaced with stone eventually

Upper courtyard and keep

View into the valley, currently serving as the Loxatorium

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

thekeeshman posted:

I find grinding for materials a good way to occupy my hands while listening to podcasts, but I can't say I'd ever get mad at someone for using dev commands if they just wanted to build something cool and not have to hunt down every last stone.

Speaking of building cool things, Helm's Deep is coming along.

View from the bottom of the ramp, wooden design mockup of the front gate on the right

View between the walls, wooden stairs will be replaced with stone eventually

Upper courtyard and keep

View into the valley, currently serving as the Loxatorium

dope.

yeah, there is a point where almost everyone starts just starts teleporting mats for late game luxuries. making one of every weapon and armor set, extra stuff for fixtures or high tier buildings that are not really needed, etc. I'd love it if there was a better way in game to reward exploration for its own sake in the late game. Maybe turning in maps to the merchant in exchange for money/mats or new NPCs or something.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

dope.

yeah, there is a point where almost everyone starts just starts teleporting mats for late game luxuries. making one of every weapon and armor set, extra stuff for fixtures or high tier buildings that are not really needed, etc. I'd love it if there was a better way in game to reward exploration for its own sake in the late game. Maybe turning in maps to the merchant in exchange for money/mats or new NPCs or something.

There’s a (currently) missed opportunity lurking in here somewhere for a portal upgrade that lets you teleport ore/ingots, but only after you actually walk it back once.

The same way you have to walk/sail/somehow get to a place to set down your initial portal, but then travel is free back and forth. You’d still have the initial trip there/back, but afterwards it’d be an easy trip. I disliked having to go back for copper/tin when I was going through the plains, but that would make it less of a pain in the rear end.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I weirdly enjoyed copper/tin runs to the black forest when I was building up my plains outpost, but yeah I feel like upgradeable portals are a very good idea.

I also find it entertaining that they think anyone wants a setting that disables portals altogether.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I wish there was more stuff that used black metal, building in the plains means we have chests full of it from ganking random fulings and I can't even be bothered to smelt it because there's nothing to do with it except make ammo. I feel like there could be more functional or decorative building stuff that used it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

I weirdly enjoyed copper/tin runs to the black forest when I was building up my plains outpost, but yeah I feel like upgradeable portals are a very good idea.

I also find it entertaining that they think anyone wants a setting that disables portals altogether.

Building roads to facilitate bringing back cartloads of copper and tin ores great. The issue is in many cases that is unfeasible for iron and silver due to the distances required or the terrain itself being unfeasible. Only the longship has enough cargo space to be used in that kind of ferrying but it also takes significantly longer to get from the source back home most of the time, and comes with the implicit risk of an even larger time sink if the boat itself sinks.

In theory players are expected to set up new bases near the new areas they want to exploit, but the impetus for most people is to keep using their original base as they get attached to it and see it as "home." For my last group server we only made one big move where we set up an endgame base.

Instead of allowing all metals to be teleported, or special portals that let metal through, id also accept only smelted "finished" metals vs ores being teleported. That would at least encourage people to set up small processing bases in various parts of the game world and then teleport the finished goods home where the actual workbenches are.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

thekeeshman posted:

I wish there was more stuff that used black metal, building in the plains means we have chests full of it from ganking random fulings and I can't even be bothered to smelt it because there's nothing to do with it except make ammo. I feel like there could be more functional or decorative building stuff that used it.

Yeah. In the end, I wound up converting most of the excess into storage. Which was helpful, but I'd rather have had more tools and decorative items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

PittTheElder posted:

I played with someone who wanted to do a no-portals run.

I didn't engage with it.