Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

toplitzin posted:

Spring is here, and with it:

Finally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
hell yes

I put the summer tires on this past Saturday and cleaned off all the winter grime, need to find a good wall to get a pic in front of.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Finally out of hibernation, so much fun after driving my yaris and ridgeline all winter!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Voltage posted:

Finally out of hibernation, so much fun after driving my yaris and ridgeline all winter!

Not to mention it sounds completely unhinged

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I need to get a flyby or tunnel video, it's so crazy with the midpipe.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Hell yeah, finally got my car out yesterday as well. Need to get some new pics outside.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fine fine fine I got another one out today too

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I still have to swap the old wheels/tires on the rears and test the line lock.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

toplitzin posted:

Spring is here, and with it:

Are your tire letters stickers or painted on? I painted on my MPS4Ses and they started flaking and turning brown immediately, my BFG Comp 2s held paint much better and I'm not sure I want to re-do them if they're just gonna do it again.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Painted back in February.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
About two years ago I bought my Hyundai Genesis Coupe and I really loved it. Unfortunately, some rear end in a top hat swerved into me while I was passing him on the highway and it was deemed a total loss.

Fortunately, my dad had a car that he basically can't get in and out of and therefore I got it for a steal.

2016, manual, 28K miles after a drive from Terre Haute, Indiana to Denton, Texas

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Took delivery of something I ordered a couple months ago:

It's a 2023 Q5 45 Prestige in District Green with an Okapi Brown interior. The color changes a ton depending on the lighting conditions, it really stands out against all the monochrome blobs floating around.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Took delivery of something I ordered a couple months ago:

It's a 2023 Q5 45 Prestige in District Green with an Okapi Brown interior. The color changes a ton depending on the lighting conditions, it really stands out against all the monochrome blobs floating around.

I just saw this same car (same color/wheel combo too) parked outside my place yesterday and it immediately caught my eye, really sharp looking.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I just saw this same car (same color/wheel combo too) parked outside my place yesterday and it immediately caught my eye, really sharp looking.

Where were you?! It would be super funny if it was me - and wouldn’t shock me too much since it seems to be a pretty rare combo.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Where were you?! It would be super funny if it was me - and wouldn’t shock me too much since it seems to be a pretty rare combo.

Not aware of a Beaverton Motors near Middleton, WI

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Just finished a multi-day detail of the EM1 (6 hours interrupted by being away for work for three days). Cleans up nice for 186k miles

Great job! It's hard work and kills your (my) back, but oh so worth it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Been considering selling the 4 series, but I took it up to the highlands of Scotland last week, and days like this remind me why I bought it:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MiniFoo posted:

Finally getting there, after many years and on shop number three... a tale I'll tell in the eventual thread I'll make, the finale of the trilogy.

Uh.

Little bit more work that I've had to do to mine.

Ooof. Just read the second thread. That made me very sad. What you're doing makes me a lot happier.
So I guess the frame rail turned out to be straight enough?

Me, I need to find a wrecked one and cut out a bit of floor and seat mount from the passenger side:

I *really* hate rust.

CaptainTofu posted:

Figured folks might enjoy the car I've been building over the past year or so.

In February 2022 I bought a 2003 Toyota Crown Athlete V, a huge grandpa wagon with a 1jz-gte.

The car was bone stock but well looked after by the guy who imported it.

I'm not gonna go through the build step by step because I don't have a good photo trail due to losing my space to work on vehicles last spring.

The plan was to build a spicy daily that was super responsive round town, reliable and I wasn't too worried about sacrificing top end power or max hp.

I've ended up with something looking a bit nicer

It's actually sitting about 10mm lower than this now and has a more aggressive alignment but I haven't taken any photos lately because winter.

Engine bay also looking nice and understated.

Final build is a hybrid ct15b turbo, completely custom intake and exhaust, big Fenix rad and intercooler, standalone Link G4X Fury, significantly upgraded fueling, and a full chassis tune up with coilovers, rollbars, big brakes and full polybushing. Making a little over 400hp with boost coming in at 2500rpm means it's disgustingly responsive.

Oh the brakes have cool custom paint that matches the dumb puddle lights I got on Wish, because stupid details matter.

As a final aside if you're thinking of running your 1j with 3" shotguns, do not. See this?

This is what the end of the world sounds like. I lasted a week before getting a backbox built.

meatpimp posted:

Oh. Hell. Yes.

Man, I'd daily that. Hell, I'd daily that stock here in the US. just because "wagon".

Scruffy the janitor posted:

About two years ago I bought my Hyundai Genesis Coupe and I really loved it. Unfortunately, some rear end in a top hat swerved into me while I was passing him on the highway and it was deemed a total loss.

WTF? Stupidity or road rage?

quote:

2016, manual, 28K miles after a drive from Terre Haute, Indiana to Denton, Texas

...still could be either.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got another one out of the garage today. The EP3 hasn’t been driven since before my total hip replacement in December, and I’ve been toying with the idea of selling it but I wanted to drive it again before I make a mistake.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

Darchangel posted:

WTF? Stupidity or road rage?

...still could be either.

Stupidity. Claimed he was reaching for his phone charger or some poo poo. Luckily I had dashcam footage.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

Darchangel posted:

Man, I'd daily that. Hell, I'd daily that stock here in the US. just because "wagon".

It's been my daily since I've owned it. I'm a sucker for cars that are both practical and nonsense.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CaptainTofu posted:

It's been my daily since I've owned it. I'm a sucker for cars that are both practical and nonsense.
Absolutely.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I haven't touched the Camry wagon since I took delivery, but I did order some tires for it that'll be here in a few days. I went to start it just to make sure it was still good and the battery was dead, so I jumped it with the Focus. Drove it around my dealership parking lot for a few minutes to get it charged up again. I'll have to remember to start it every few days to keep it fresh. I parked it next to a 2023 Camry on the lot just to see the differences that 33 years can make. Don't mind the pollen coating everything.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Darchangel posted:

Uh.

Little bit more work that I've had to do to mine.

Ooof. Just read the second thread. That made me very sad. What you're doing makes me a lot happier.
So I guess the frame rail turned out to be straight enough?

Me, I need to find a wrecked one and cut out a bit of floor and seat mount from the passenger side:

I *really* hate rust.

Short answer is that the bottom frame rail was deemed repairable and was straightened sufficiently on a frame puller. Everything above it is from a donor or two - would've offered you some floor pans from them, but they were also likely falling apart from rust as well.

Looking more like a car every time my dad sends update pics:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Night Danger Moose posted:

I haven't touched the Camry wagon since I took delivery, but I did order some tires for it that'll be here in a few days. I went to start it just to make sure it was still good and the battery was dead, so I jumped it with the Focus. Drove it around my dealership parking lot for a few minutes to get it charged up again. I'll have to remember to start it every few days to keep it fresh. I parked it next to a 2023 Camry on the lot just to see the differences that 33 years can make. Don't mind the pollen coating everything.

Ah, yes, the embiggening of everything. I see Toyota is back on the giant maw thing. They backed off for a little while, or at least made it less obvious.

MiniFoo posted:

Short answer is that the bottom frame rail was deemed repairable and was straightened sufficiently on a frame puller. Everything above it is from a donor or two - would've offered you some floor pans from them, but they were also likely falling apart from rust as well.

Looking more like a car every time my dad sends update pics:

Most excellent. Good to see it coming back together.
I found a bit more rust/flaking bindi on mine while putting on a new car cover last night, but nothing life threatening.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Year 7. It has moved one time since the middle of October. My registration is two months expired and the service is due. The weather agreed enough to clean my 3rd car garage and I rewarded myself with cleaning the M3 after.

I have missed this thing so much.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Such a hooligan of a car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I miss my E92 all the time. Silverstone with red interior. What a noise…

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Year 7. It has moved one time since the middle of October. My registration is two months expired and the service is due. The weather agreed enough to clean my 3rd car garage and I rewarded myself with cleaning the M3 after.

I have missed this thing so much.

:hf: E9x Buddy. I need to wash mine which hasn't been anywhere near as stationary, but has been hiding way more this spring than any other since I got it, thanks to all the rain we've had. Will post some pics when I do get it rinsed off.

https://clyp.it/x0oxyt1b

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That was about 140 by my count.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Did I hear a rock and stone E9X?

Posted in the BMW thread but I just got my car back from the wrap shop on Friday:

edit;

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Fortunately, my dad had a car that he basically can't get in and out of and therefore I got it for a steal.

How do you like the Z compared to the Genesis? I swear Hyundai gave it a 3.8L just to one-up Nissan. Or, I guess one-tenth-up Nissan :haw: I'd really like a Nismo 370Z as a second car, if I had the means to own two cars.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 23, 2023

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Sab669 posted:

Posted in the BMW thread but I just got my car back from the wrap shop on Friday:

edit;

How do you like the Z compared to the Genesis? I swear Hyundai gave it a 3.8L just to one-up Nissan. Or, I guess one-tenth-up Nissan :haw: I'd really like a Nismo 370Z as a second car, if I had the means to own two cars.

Oh man. Money very well spent.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks! I ordered the vinyl myself and in the piss poor indoor lighting I was like, "oh man this color doesn't look nearly as interesting as I thought" but the second I pulled into the lot to pick the car up I was immediately in love with it. Even on a dull cloudy day like today it's still a very nice shade of green IMO.

Now I just need to find a shop to tint the windows / not give me poo poo about New York's dumb rear end window tint laws 🙄

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sab669 posted:

This is excellent and makes me miss mine. Looks great with roof bars too - I've kept them on my G31. Helps me find it when parked, too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sab669 posted:

Looks fantastic! Dark forest-esque greens with bronzed or even gold wheels is always a great combo.

I finally, FINALLY took delivery of a Caldina GT-T I bought over a year ago off a dealer lot in Japan:

Turbo manual AWD Toyota wagons aren't the most common thing, no matter where in the world you look.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Neat!

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

:holy:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Sab669 posted:

Oh man that looks great! I've been getting quotes off and on to wrap my RF and I just can't stomach what the prices have gone up to. Min price I'm seeing is $5k and if I wanted to do something like a full color change with Stek PPF they were quoting me almost $10k. This is in Austin. Meanwhile my friend in Corpus Christi has gotten a quote for closer to $2k including materials for his ND soft top.

Can you share what product and price you paid?

A few days ago I saw this guy's color swap of just the roof and buttresses and I'm thinking-- just how hard could it be? My RF is black. If I did this I 'm not sure if I would just do the "rails" of the roof in silver or a different color, or the entire roof, but either way I'm kind of itching for a project. I know it is a lot more difficult and finicky than it may initially look, but the material isn't that expensive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Miata/comments/12w5oxg/decided_to_change_it_up_a_bit_absolutely_love_it/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The vinyl is Hexis' Sonoma Green Metallic Gloss - https://online.hexis.co.uk/product-...ed-Vehicle-Wrap

It's not listed as a "UK Only Metallic" but I couldn't find any distributors who had even heard of it in the US, so I ordered it from their UK site. Definitely pricey factoring the currency conversion, I think it was like $800 + $120 for shipping. On a positive note, shipping was really really fast. Like 3 or 4 days.

The first two shops I talked to both quoted me $5K for the job; then I happened upon a random comment on my local regional subreddit recommending another shop who quoted me $1800. They said it would've been around $2500 if they supplied the materials. I was so excited to hear their price; I had the regular 3 series bumper with a plate bracket on it and I had been debating buying an M-Sport bumper to replace it with, but for $5K and just getting new wheels/rubber, I couldn't justify another $1k+. But then I found this shop so I was like oh hell yea and went in on the bumper too.

I'd recommend watching a good number of "Wrap it in your own garage" videos because it definitely seems like a good amount of labor and technical skill when it comes to doing more complex surfaces around the bumpers and whatnot

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Sab669 posted:

The vinyl is Hexis' Sonoma Green Metallic Gloss - https://online.hexis.co.uk/product-...ed-Vehicle-Wrap

It's not listed as a "UK Only Metallic" but I couldn't find any distributors who had even heard of it in the US, so I ordered it from their UK site. Definitely pricey factoring the currency conversion, I think it was like $800 + $120 for shipping. On a positive note, shipping was really really fast. Like 3 or 4 days.

The first two shops I talked to both quoted me $5K for the job; then I happened upon a random comment on my local regional subreddit recommending another shop who quoted me $1800. They said it would've been around $2500 if they supplied the materials. I was so excited to hear their price; I had the regular 3 series bumper with a plate bracket on it and I had been debating buying an M-Sport bumper to replace it with, but for $5K and just getting new wheels/rubber, I couldn't justify another $1k+. But then I found this shop so I was like oh hell yea and went in on the bumper too.

I'd recommend watching a good number of "Wrap it in your own garage" videos because it definitely seems like a good amount of labor and technical skill when it comes to doing more complex surfaces around the bumpers and whatnot

Thanks for sharing. You got a great deal!

Yeah I don't think I'm down for trying to do a full body wrap on my own. The bumpers seem complicated and I'm not enthusiastic about removing door handles, body panels, etc.

The roof and windshield trim wrap is appealing as a project because it is a comparatively small area and you can access all of the panels without much difficulty.

I may still try shopping around, but it seems that the prices in Austin have all shot up like crazy.