Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tibbeh posted:

Man what outfit is that, cause I want my stalker to rock that look

I actually like how much effort has been put into "mixing up" aspects of the NPC outfits for the sake of variety, while still retaining some semblance of being able to visually distinguish the lowest of the rookies from the most seasoned masters.

Every now and then you end up with good ol' Karp Hipster though.

moot the hopple posted:

Just had a really silly moment while clearing out bloodsuckers in Truck Cemetery for a quest. As I was bandaging up my wounds, a pulse anomaly went off overhead and I started sprinting away, right into a pack of cats. Then two lurkers must have smelled blood and joined in on the hunt. If that wasn't enough, a loving chimera also showed up to steal everyone's kill. I tried to switch over to my underslung grenade launcher, but my custom SIG 550 makes you needlessly deploy the sight leaf before you can shoot it (while true Stalkers bloop underslung grenades from the hip based on gut feeling). I got savaged to death before the animation could even complete.

Nice to see the foodchain literally in action though :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've been playing with crosshairs turned off so iron sights have been more of a consideration for me during this playthrough. Surprisingly enough, it's even been the main determining factor on whether I keep a gun or not.

Like, I love the addition of the Thompson into the loot table for the low tier factions. A zippy lil submachine gun that can spew full auto .45 Hydrashocks is a great alternative to a shotgun (and in some circumstances more useful when up against psy mutants with hallucinations or larger packs of weaker mutants). And it's cool that instead of waiting to pick up an UMP or Kriss off a merc, you can have earlier access to a punchy .45 SMG that's commonly lootable off bandits, loners, and renegades which you can then get up and running with a mere handgun repair kit (that's purchasable from the get-go from technicians or reasonably crafted with basic tools). Combine that with the cheap ammo sold by Butcher or crafted from mats you can disassemble from other pistol calibers and you have a great anti-mutant weapon.

The only problem is that the iron sights are straight up garbage and the rear aperture occludes so much of your target. The gangster model has more open sights and you can switch over to the top notch rears on the military model by pressing V but it's not much of an improvement and both still have the issue of the rear sight ears taking up a lot of sight picture.

I have the same issue with the SPAS-12 which has a similar chunky rear sight aperture that takes up a lot of real estate when aiming down sights. Otherwise, the SPAS occupies a very useful niche before you have access to the magazine-fed Saigas and other advanced shotguns, being a tube-fed shotgun that still has decent capacity, full auto capability, and actually has a faster shell loading animation than the other tube shotguns. It's just that the sights are on the verge of being unusable, to the point that I'd much rather be using like an MP153 that has less capacity but has a simple and clean bead front sight which makes it much easier to acquire and track targets.

Another side-effect of playing without crosshairs is that it makes me appreciate the guns that accept LAM laser units or different scopes and red dot combos. I'm more willing to shell out for tactical kits on guns this time for their added functionality as opposed to their tacticoolness.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I was exploring the buildings around the entrance to X-18 in Dark Valley and stumbled upon a nest of sleeping Bloodsuckers in one of the random outbuildings:

There were probably 15 or 16 of them in total, all using the animation from one of those CoP questlines where you have to sneak through a group of them.

In my ~400 hours of GAMMA I've never seen anything like this and, as far as I can tell, I don't have any quests directing me here to prompt their spawning. Is this just something that happens now? Very peculiar.

moot the hopple posted:

I've been playing with crosshairs turned off so iron sights have been more of a consideration for me during this playthrough. Surprisingly enough, it's even been the main determining factor on whether I keep a gun or not.

Another side-effect of playing without crosshairs is that it makes me appreciate the guns that accept LAM laser units or different scopes and red dot combos. I'm more willing to shell out for tactical kits on guns this time for their added functionality as opposed to their tacticoolness.

Yeah I run with crosshairs disabled and I've also disabled the ability to aim down sights while wearing NVGs--you find yourself appreciating those laser modules, tritium sights, and NVG optics a lot more.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Never play with crosshairs, appreciate the beauty of panic hipfiring as two cats circle around you oh god no it's three wait seven?! oh god oh gently caress why don't I have any extended mags with HP rounds oh poo poo I only have AP slugs left and the shotgun's unloaded WHY

My current 0.9 GAMMA Loner playthrough has hit an excruciating slow point, in that I cannot for the life of me get green stash coordinates in the maps that would drop expert tools. I've pushed into Jupiter and Zaton, and even though I spent the time and effort to make a Heavy armor kit, I haven't found jack poo poo in terms of worthwhile armor save for a Sphere M12 helmet, so I have to keep switching between a Nomad Stalker Suit for better protection and an SSP-99 for the brutal radiation in the northern maps.

Finally making my way into Jupiter was funny, though, took the path through Limansk which meant I emerged in the southwest area with all of the bandits. I figured it would be a hard fight, but, well, they aren't that smart.

Clown car-rear end idiots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even without the restriction on crosshairs, the sight profile (and viewmodel) of a gun are key considerations in whether I use it, as a good clear sight picture and lack of obstruction are very important to the feel of using a gun.

I bought the gauss rifle scope just because it's slightly lower profile than the leupold, which basically blinds half your view on a lot of guns.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 21, 2023

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Namnesor posted:

My current 0.9 GAMMA Loner playthrough has hit an excruciating slow point, in that I cannot for the life of me get green stash coordinates in the maps that would drop expert tools. I've pushed into Jupiter and Zaton, and even though I spent the time and effort to make a Heavy armor kit, I haven't found jack poo poo in terms of worthwhile armor save for a Sphere M12 helmet, so I have to keep switching between a Nomad Stalker Suit for better protection and an SSP-99 for the brutal radiation in the northern maps.

Crazy, that's my exact current setup as well. The only other heavy armor I've been able to repair up has been a military exosuit (just the basic rear end exosuit, not the actual complete and better armored exoskeleton, mind you) which has slightly better ballistic protection than the Nomad suit but not as good environmental protection. I get cooked by rads on the road into Radar so I've just been using it as a stopgap to survive short excursions into Radar to pick off random Monolith squads before gearing up and getting into the base proper.

On the plus side, I am potentially one artifact (or a couple common ones) away from being able to craft the Knot artifact. Soon I'll sign my name to Lucifer's black book and show these Monolith fucks what a true devotee of the Zone can do.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

moot the hopple posted:

The only problem is that the iron sights are straight up garbage and the rear aperture occludes so much of your target. The gangster model has more open sights and you can switch over to the top notch rears on the military model by pressing V but it's not much of an improvement and both still have the issue of the rear sight ears taking up a lot of sight picture.

It's funny to read this because the one time I shot a tommy gun IRL (1920s gangster style with a drum mag) I remember being extremely annoyed at the sights as well as the design of the buttstock, it was very awkward and uncomfortable. I felt like it was definitely intended to be fired from the hip.

On another note, I got to shoot an Ak 5C once a long time ago and I absolutely loved it. So it was a really awesome surprise when I looted one from a dead Freedom stalker recently, since you never see those in movies or games (unless you count the time Al Pacino used an FN FNC during the heist scene in Heat). Now I just need to find the parts to fix it up.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 21, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

bees everywhere posted:

It's funny to read this because the one time I shot a tommy gun IRL (1920s gangster style with a drum mag) I remember being extremely annoyed at the sights as well as the design of the buttstock, it was very awkward and uncomfortable. I felt like it was definitely intended to be fired from the hip.

On another note, I got to shoot an Ak 5C once a long time ago and I absolutely loved it. So it was a really awesome surprise when I looted one from a dead Freedom stalker recently, since you never see those in movies or games (unless you count the time Al Pacino used an FN FNC during the heist scene in Heat). Now I just need to find the parts to fix it up.

I never appreciated the long unwieldy but light pencil barrel on the A until I got the C. But yes the C is better mostly. Could've been better ofc grumble grumble

E. Now mind you the original fnc para carbine must have been something special, that one would be hard to improve

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

bees everywhere posted:

(unless you count the time Al Pacino used an FN FNC during the heist scene in Heat)

That still seems like such a random (but cool) weapon to see in that context.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The LAPD armory has a whole stockpile but only movie protagonists are allowed to requisition them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I reinstalled with the new verision .9 and jesus there's a lot of poo poo just lying around the zone.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
That's the new dynamic loot system they put in where campsites, checkpoints, and other obvious places have random doodads littered about. As you clear out items from one area, the game repopulates and scatters more items to other areas to encourage you to explore other parts of the map that might not have explicit stashes and to simulate other stalkers have been through an area.

I personally like it so far and haven't found anything too egregious that throws off GAMMA's overall balance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've found a lot of gun parts and some meds which I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise.

It's not bad, just surprising that the easiest way to get meds seems to be to just comb buildings.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I've found a lot of gun parts and some meds which I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise.

It's not bad, just surprising that the easiest way to get meds seems to be to just comb buildings.

I'm not sure if there are additional settings elsewhere that affect this mechanic, but I've been starting my games by adjusting "Scattered Loot" down to 0.4 in the MCM > ZCP > Loot menu; I want to say the default settings are currently 0.7 or so.

Either way, I know what you're saying. It's not broken at its default value per se, but it felt like I was accruing maybe a bit too much stuff by simply wandering around with the "F" key held down. There's still a fair amount of stuff at 0.4, but it clamps down on it a bit.

EDIT: Also new patch released with some pretty big changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilwu-ZXCG2M

Grok posted:

New patch is up: You need to update GAMMA Large Files

Ammo Casings Falling Sounds thanks to Bert for extracting the sounds. Accurately plays sounds of ammo casings falling to the ground depending on the caliber and the ground type. The delay of casing fall should be accurate enough for all guns depending on their action type (bolt action, pump action, etc).
New P90 models using Gunslinger model and new Retrogue's P90 model. Uses Gunslinger animations.
New G36 models using Retrogue's G36 Pack with better icons and rebalanced recoils. Two variants are available, G36V and G36K.
Potentially Fixed Semenov mutants tissues quest.
Potentially fixed Sin questline in the South with NPCs getting removed.
Map Kits should be more rare.
9x39 ammo are now stronger for both AP and DMG.
.45 Hydrashock damage is now slightly weaker (69)
9x19 AP requires less powder to craft.
Lasers are now red and should be easier to capture by NVGs.
Softly removed guns overheat mechanics (faster degradation when full auto).
Moved a south day music to night music.
7.92 barrel icon fix thanks to Tiskar.
Removed SVT from NPC loadouts.
Fixed R700 ammo speed and distance.
Exo repair kit recipe name and description fix.
Exo repair kit is more expensive to craft.
Heavy repair kit fixed medium kit crafting recipe.
Mosin scope texture got swapped to match ingame model.

Small Hotfix:

Ammo casings falling sounds will now cut much less when doing full auto.
Ammo casings fallings sounds will now play with a random volume to add more variation.
Slightly reduced ammo casings falling sounds since it doesn't cut anymore when doing full auto, previous sound volume was way too loud.
Removed Ammo casings fallings sounds console spams
ACE52 parts fixes
ACE52 damage fixes
Remington 870 weapon cover tilt fixes

EDIT 2: Ugh I love updating but I hate having to go back through and adjust all of my settings after every update. :negative:

At least I was smart enough to keep a notepad checklist of the changes I've made so I can just go through it after every update.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 23, 2023

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EDIT 2: Ugh I love updating but I hate having to go back through and adjust all of my settings after every update. :negative:

At least I was smart enough to keep a notepad checklist of the changes I've made so I can just go through it after every update.

If you want to maintain your settings, both in the regular settings menu and your MCM changes, do this:

Before updating...

Regular settings: go into /Anomaly/appdata and yoink out user.ltx. Put it back after updating.

MCM settings: In MO2, filter for "MCM values" and rename the mod G.A.M.M.A. MCM values - Rename to keep your personal changes to something like MCM values - Custom, then after updating all you need to do is deactivate the first and activate custom, and everything carries over!

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 23, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Namnesor posted:

If you want to maintain your settings, both in the regular settings menu and your MCM changes, do this:

Before updating...

Regular settings: go into /Anomaly/appdata and yoink out user.ltx. Put it back after updating.

MCM settings: In MO2, filter for "MCM values" and rename the mod G.A.M.M.A. MCM values - Rename to keep your personal changes to something like MCM values - Custom, then after updating all you need to do is deactivate the first and activate custom, and everything carries over!

Nice, thanks for the info--I didn't realize that.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Nice, thanks for the info--I didn't realize that.

Of course! You will need to manually re-enable (and re-sort in some cases) mods in MO2 like Mags Redux, but that's small potatoes compared to settings.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hmm might be time to try another game of this. How hard is updating Gamma? Do I need to redownload everything pretty much? Bandwidth caps suck. :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They changed the install method to be far more complicated since the last time I played it, took me the better part of a day to download it all and set it up.

E: you know the tommy gun might be a bit crap but god drat if the 1921 model does not look stylish as hell. Gonna keep this and get a nice leather jacket and go shoot a pseudogiant with it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 23, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I got hit with a (new?) trap in the Red Forest. At least one I've never seen before, and not in this particular area.

On my way to shut off the Brain Scorcher, I looked to my right and saw a friendly NPC waving at me further up the hill.

When I approached him, he disappeared only to reappear a bit further down the road. At first I thought it was just a bug, but the whole thing piqued my interest--so up the hill I went.

Eventually it became obvious that something very fucky was going on, but I wasn't prepared for the big reveal to be a pincer attack by two Controllers (including one cutting off my only escape). It was almost a guaranteed instakill, but after eight or nine attempts I managed to kill one fast enough to put some distance between myself and the second so its suicide-aura didn't put the kibosh on me.

It reminded me that for all the dynamic open world aspects, I kind of miss these creepy set pieces.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did they change the perk artifacts to not lose durability? I have been using a scar to heal and it doesn't seem to be losing condition.

E: oh no wait it very slowly is.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
The algorithm fed me a video about this GAMMA modpack for some reason, and it looks cool as gently caress. I haven't played a stalker game since 2013, and don't remember poo poo about them other than it being hard but rewarding when I felt like I did something smart. I must have liked it though, because I spent like 60 hours playing according to steam. How tough is the learning curve for GAMMA, going into it with basically zero functional familiarity with the base game?

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

The algorithm fed me a video about this GAMMA modpack for some reason, and it looks cool as gently caress. I haven't played a stalker game since 2013, and don't remember poo poo about them other than it being hard but rewarding when I felt like I did something smart. I must have liked it though, because I spent like 60 hours playing according to steam. How tough is the learning curve for GAMMA, going into it with basically zero functional familiarity with the base game?

There's some new mechanics for fixing up guns, outfits and other gear, plus a new medical system, but the core loop is pretty much the same as vanilla STALKER.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

I think I felt pretty comfortable and fluent with most of the mechanics after several IRL days of play.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I got hit with a (new?) trap in the Red Forest. At least one I've never seen before, and not in this particular area.

On my way to shut off the Brain Scorcher, I looked to my right and saw a friendly NPC waving at me further up the hill.

When I approached him, he disappeared only to reappear a bit further down the road. At first I thought it was just a bug, but the whole thing piqued my interest--so up the hill I went.

Eventually it became obvious that something very fucky was going on, but I wasn't prepared for the big reveal to be a pincer attack by two Controllers (including one cutting off my only escape). It was almost a guaranteed instakill, but after eight or nine attempts I managed to kill one fast enough to put some distance between myself and the second so its suicide-aura didn't put the kibosh on me.

It reminded me that for all the dynamic open world aspects, I kind of miss these creepy set pieces.

Nice that looks awesome.

How many hours have people gotten in gamma without save corruption? I'm really over EFP now that i know my save can become, "too big" that short into the loving game. It used to only occur if you've literally done everything in the zone and were just wandering around for months on the same save. I didn't even fully explore outskirts much less go to prip and the CNPP.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arghy posted:

Nice that looks awesome.

How many hours have people gotten in gamma without save corruption? I'm really over EFP now that i know my save can become, "too big" that short into the loving game. It used to only occur if you've literally done everything in the zone and were just wandering around for months on the same save. I didn't even fully explore outskirts much less go to prip and the CNPP.

I've never encountered the issue personally, albeit the considerable amount of time I've spent in-game has been split up over a handful of playthroughs. It doesn't seem to come up too often as a firsthand issue in this thread, from what I can tell.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 25, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I had like a hundred hours in my last GAMMA save, no corruption. Might be a "works on my machine" deal though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really wish I could stick a scope on my shotgun. Just a little magnification would make it so much easier to use.

Also echoing I have never had save corruption with gamma, I think there was something in the patch notes about deleting old world items so I think they are trying to actively prevent it.

E: the basic perk artifacts are super useful now, the ones that give you healing and stamina are extremely helpful to have.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 25, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's possible to bind a key to zoom your eyes in, and that works while you're using irons. I found it quite useful; it's not a scope, but it might help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I use that constantly (and have to keep resetting my fov when I die using it) but something like an acog is very helpful.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
I wanted to try something new so I started a sin playthrough and noticed that they start with a knot artifact now. Ive just been sprinting around Red Forest murdering groups of loners and mercs w/ nothing but an axe and it has been suprisingly effective (and hilarious) The AI cant really deal with the speed you get from sprinting with the lucifer buff while lightly burdened and the axe that the sin merchant sells has ridiculous reach and 1-shots everybody as far as I can tell.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 80 days!

dsf posted:

I wanted to try something new so I started a sin playthrough and noticed that they start with a knot artifact now. Ive just been sprinting around Red Forest murdering groups of loners and mercs w/ nothing but an axe and it has been suprisingly effective (and hilarious) The AI cant really deal with the speed you get from sprinting with the lucifer buff while lightly burdened and the axe that the sin merchant sells has ridiculous reach and 1-shots everybody as far as I can tell.

lol badass

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hmm the rex revolver says it can take a c-more sight but it won't let me attach it.

It's a fun gun but the sights it comes with are not very good, no tritium and the gun is a big square brick.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I have a REX that came with a red dot already installed and its inventory model visually reflecting that. Weirdly when I go to the upgrade menu, the 2nd tier shows an option for upgraded sights but both are uninstalled. It might be there are different models and my particular one has the sight integrated. I'll look up the description/title when I'm off work today.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, strange. A c-more is also generally like, a rifle sight as well, so I wonder if it's a bug. There's also no visible way to attach one, the gun doesn't seem to come with any rails.

Mine doesn't have any sights in the upgrade menu so I assume yours is actually integrated with sights and has the usual options to upgrade the integrated optics such as with an SVD.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I think the Rex is bugged; sometimes you'll see them drop with sights attached, but you cannot attach any yourself, so uh... don't remove them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

booo, I like my cool revolver

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Namnesor posted:

I think the Rex is bugged; sometimes you'll see them drop with sights attached, but you cannot attach any yourself, so uh... don't remove them.

This almost makes it sound like there's a tactical upgrade kit or whatever that can allow them to be upgraded with a scope. I'm purely guessing though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lol I just found a chimera hunter on a dead clear sky dude.

Just need a pith helmet to wear on top of my seva suit and I'm all set!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I'm sure the crappy metal helmet is close enough