Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
mike pondsmith was an optimist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

yea we're getting all the dumb boring papering-over-increasing-capital-contradictions and hyper surveillance stuff to sell us lovely ads, and not cool augmentations and cyber penises. smdh

you're forgetting about microplastics slowly turning us into tupperware cyborgs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

mike pondsmith was an optimist

He loving was wasn't he? And I love "Maximum" Mike's works. Long time fan of his. Reality was just so much... lesser.

I wonder if HOL (Human Occupied Landfill) might be more on the money.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zodium posted:

you're forgetting about microplastics slowly turning us into tupperware cyborgs.

is it still cybernetics if the material isn't shiny chrome metal

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

is it still cybernetics if the material isn't shiny chrome metal

No. Shiny chrome is an absolute requisite.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Glumwheels posted:

I don’t know, some places closed during pandemic and never re-opened. Recently more have started calling it quits due to inflation and people not going out as much because poo poo is too expensive. Other places closed up shop because downtown is generally not as safe as before. A lot of shops that are still open have security at the doors or they lock the doors and you have to wait to enter/leave. It’s bizarre and not at all like it was pre-pandemic.

The mayor and city council have basically given up and the cops aren’t doing poo poo.

isn't that against fire code?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Mustached Demon posted:

isn't that against fire code?

Probably, would require someone to report them. I didn’t even think about that at the time, though. I don’t know if they’re still doing it.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
you, an absolute buffoon, spending money on microtransactions on your gacha phone games (whatever that is)

me, endlessly replaying the $10 android version of dragon warrior 3 for years

we are not the same

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ram dass in hell posted:

you, an absolute buffoon, spending money on microtransactions on your gacha phone games (whatever that is)

me, endlessly replaying the $10 android version of dragon warrior 3 for years

we are not the same

that's legit an excellent use of $10

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

did we hire the services of leonard j crabs to sue the sec

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

yeah a lot of people are doing work from home. But also a lot of people just left major cities and moved to smaller cities.

They probably made that list of the most populated places in the usa, and cut it off around 200'000 people (Salt Lake city.)
Bakersfield 400'000, El Paso - 600'000

Medium sized cities, and the suburbs around big cities grew, because people from poor cities, need more security, and people from populated cities wanted more space.

A good amount of American citizens don't want to live near people, and only movie to cities for money.
It's why so many people "from" California move to Texas.

I would post the lyrics to this song, but I don't wanna risk it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUiZHt6sqg4

that last chart would be better as % of population rather than total

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe the relative lack of cellphones in big cities is related to rent for a 700 sg ft efficiency being $3,400 a month

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
maybe everything is fine and people are just leaving their phones at home

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

sweet that means we'll get to hear everyone's favorite TrueAnon Original Character, Coindexter return

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
for years cities said "gently caress off, we're full"
now they're mad no one is coming??

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

for years cities said "gently caress off, we're full"
now they're mad no one is coming??

No, you got that wrong. Cities always said “poor people should gently caress off, we can make room for rich people”

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
the Hummer EV weighs 9000lbs lmao imagine getting hit by that in a regular sedan

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Koirhor posted:

the Hummer EV weighs 9000lbs lmao imagine getting hit by that in a regular sedan

Imagine the battery fire when it randomly cooks off charging overnight in an underground parking garage beneath an apartment block.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

It's because Coinbase is claiming the SEC is wrongfully regulating crypto companies by fiat without having passed rules under the Administrative Procedure Act (APA) and therefore all their recent crypto litigation is invalid on its face.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Smythe posted:

my boss has sent out the "RETURN TO WORK" order 3 times and eveyr time just nobody does it. no reply or anything. its a pretty interestng phenomenon.

Killing a portion of your workforce or forcing them to retire doesn't give you much leverage to force the rest of them to do what you want them to do

This is the first time in my lifetime that labor has some leverage over capital and they've got no idea what to do about it at all, they're like that guy in Pleasantville saying "but where's dinner....?"

Apr 7, 2003

I don't really trust any of the population estimates that come out in non-census years, they're all projections and projections say what the projectors want them to

around here people spent the '10s screaming that we were hemorrhaging population and that the city and county had to adopt more business-friendly practices or else and when the 2020 census came out, whoops, we'd actually gained population.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Poorpilled

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1650843316626288641

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

everything going great in merry old england. nothing to see here.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Drake no: TERF island

Drake yes: Pain pig island

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my credit Union is offering me 6.75 for a new car loan . that is much better

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

euphronius posted:

Just buy the car in cash, problem solved.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Glumwheels posted:

I live in an area where this hasn’t happened yet but I don’t even go in Target anymore. Online ordering is usually cheaper than shopping in store, you can get gift cards or discounts for same-day pickup, and they deliver it to your car. I wish they did that at Costco but their business model expects you to go in and spend way more than you intended.

I can see the shenanigans starting in the D.C. burbs. Stuff isn't locked up, but Giant is now trying to restrict self checkout to 20 items or less, citing theft and the safety of their employees. But they also only ever have one actual cashier line open because they don't want to staff.

So I will keep doing self checkout with 20+ items and steal things like an adult.

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

I got 0% in 2021

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

refusing to acknowledge that their country is going to poo poo is like the deepest part of british culture

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

is pepsi ok posted:

refusing to acknowledge that their country is going to poo poo is like the deepest part of british culture

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a failed state.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

street doc posted:

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a failed state.

https://twitter.com/pewresearch/status/1650852898354372609?s=20

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

cut their loving heads off

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Revanchism? In my 'Murica?!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Three of those are correct. Openly fascist states don't tend to be politically divided though.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

euphronius posted:

That is always the smart play regardless. Come in preapproved for a decent rate from your bank or credit union. Then you can later offer to let the finance guy beat it. But there is then a cap on the shenanigans they can pull with the rate. Still need to watch for all the other bullshit they try to pull.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Horseshoe theory posted:

It's because Coinbase is claiming the SEC is wrongfully regulating crypto companies by fiat without having passed rules under the Administrative Procedure Act (APA) and therefore all their recent crypto litigation is invalid on its face.

in a 5-4 decision...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Orvin posted:

That is always the smart play regardless. Come in preapproved for a decent rate from your bank or credit union. Then you can later offer to let the finance guy beat it. But there is then a cap on the shenanigans they can pull with the rate. Still need to watch for all the other bullshit they try to pull.

yeah don’t they want to originate the loan at the dealership so they can get fees when they sell the loan

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

yeah that's pretty bad. i'm surprised portland is so low, it's not like it had that much fidi core industry and is much more affordable than most major cities in america

I'm pretty confident that remote work has an outsized impact on things like restaurants or bars, especially in big downtown cores. The problem is that a lot of people are going out with coworkers, but if your office is only 75% staffed (or less) you've got less people to go out with after work and you might end up deciding to pick some place closer to home rather than down the street from your office.

I know a ton of people who are still eating out and hitting up bars on weekends, they're just not going into any of the cities around here to do it anymore.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

ok but just remember this is NOT contributing to inflation

https://twitter.com/thestalwart/status/1650836093430841344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don't really trust any of the population estimates that come out in non-census years, they're all projections and projections say what the projectors want them to

around here people spent the '10s screaming that we were hemorrhaging population and that the city and county had to adopt more business-friendly practices or else and when the 2020 census came out, whoops, we'd actually gained population.

ACS data are statistical samples, not projections.

You can still feel free to hate them because the Census Bureau has been systematically hollowed out and ratfucked in plenty of ways.