Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1650691459664805888

the ole dale hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bolts, stop posting cringe.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lol can you even imagine that people are earnestly cheering for the corey perry team

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
The leafs only felt like the better team for maybe 15 minutes of that regulation and yet here we are again

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Toronto reversing a They Were Up 4-1 comeback is WILD

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Aces High posted:

Jack Johnson signed with Colorado on a PTO and then won a cup, Nurse makes 10mil each year for the next 7 years. JJ also doesn't play top pairing

It wasn’t in reference to what they get paid, just how mine boggling out of position they constantly are.

Also not comparing current JJ to Nurse, I’m comparing peak JJ from like 10 years ago.

Matt Zerella posted:

Gallant needs to step it up. He’s getting out coached by Lindy loving Ruff and it’s embarrassing.

I have no idea what adjustments he can make but he needs to find a way to get Kakko up into the top 6 more. Aside from Vinny, he was the best forward tonight.

Ruff making the tactical coaching change of telling his team to stop playing like dogshit garbage.

They way under performed in the first 2 games because they were nervous playoff rookies. Now they are just playing like they have all year long. This should be a tight series that goes to 7, not the blowout hockey of the first two games .

kill me now fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 25, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lmao the refs just can't stop themselves

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

This has to be the most murder-y first round we've seen in a while.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm sorry but where did the puck go? Out of play? How was that reduced? The NHL is amazing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
McCann had to be carried off the ice, yet that's somehow a minor.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

AsInHowe posted:

Toronto reversing a They Were Up 4-1 comeback is WILD

They scored three goals with the goalie pulled against Columbus and yet nobody remembers this or the amazing run they went on afterwards.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
"So was he hurt on the play?"
"McCann was carried off the ice."
"Well, I mean, that can mean a lot of things."
"The medical staff is already carving him up for organs."
"Organs? Multiple? Pfft, Minor Penalty."

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

soggybagel posted:

I'm sorry but where did the puck go? Out of play? How was that reduced? The NHL is amazing.

Yes, it went out of play. Refs didn't blow the whistle when puck went out of play, didn't call any penalty at all live, then called a major so that they could do video review, then reduced it back to a minor and you could see the ref and Makar talking to each other and it looked like Makar said something like "I thought he had it" while the ref shook his head and said no then there was a bunch more between them but I couldn't tell what they were saying

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1650696850733776907

He's trying to tell them how cool it is to have a banner up at scotiabank.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

eXXon posted:

They scored three goals with the goalie pulled against Columbus and yet nobody remembers this or the amazing run they went on afterwards.

Found the problem

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

eXXon posted:

covid year, 5 game playoff series, no fans, Columbus

This leafs team is something else.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Found the problem

That's the Nick Foligno-led juggernaut that swept the Lightning in round one.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1650696850733776907

He's trying to tell them how cool it is to have a banner up at scotiabank.

You tell Mr. Bovine Joni I'll pay 40 million for the team

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Hakstol says McCann already is out for game 5 and probably longer as a result of that hit. Avs lose the battle but win the war by taking out the leading scorer on the opposing team on an extraordinarily late hit.
Happy the Kraken made it at least a respectable 6 game series and seem to have found how to playoff intensity in any case. Hopefully it carries over to next year.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

whoever reduced that to a minor should be fired

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Just caught up on the Devils game (I'm in the UK).

The playoffs sure are a thing. The Devils winning games on boring defensive hockey and great goaltending.

It's interesting that Gallant forced Ruff's hand with making the Devils get away from their game, and now Ruff has passed it back to Gallant by effectively going "okay fine, we can play this kind of game and still beat you".

Do the games open up now? What will the next in NJ be like?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Uh oh, Toronto’s up 3-1.

:munch:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I don't think I'm ready for Toronto in the second round. They're such a constant I'm worried it will upset some kind of balance.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Working nights I was gonna call in sick depending on how the first two periods that I could watch went. Needless to say I went in and let me tell you the Sportsnet Now app is loving useless if you want to watch a game without buffering every second for ten seconds. I should be more upset about not getting to watch the comeback as it happened, but I'm oddly in a loving fantastic mood. Please, please, please end this Thursday. My soul needs this.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I'm in Toronto for work this week and I'd like to confirm that it's absolutely insufferable

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Siegenthaler and Marino have been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO great the last 2 games.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mennoknight posted:

I'm in Toronto for work this week and I'd like to confirm that it's absolutely insufferable

Hey did you catch the Leafs game last night?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Happy for Siegs, always liked him on the Caps. Glad he found a team on the rise and not going to the bottom.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

mcmagic posted:

This is a nice reminder that pro scouting is very important

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

mcmagic posted:

Remember when Lindy scratched Siegenthaler? Good times. I have watched a little bit of the series and he has been extremely good.

But it bothers me that everybody pronounces the “th” in his name the English way when they shouldn’t, no “th” sound in German.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1650846098431377415

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Remember when Lindy scratched Siegenthaler? Good times. I have watched a little bit of the series and he has been extremely good.

But it bothers me that everybody pronounces the “th” in his name the English way when they shouldn’t, no “th” sound in German.

It really was weird that torwards the end of the season he had slump or whatever and was scratched for a few games and then in game 2 which seemed completely insane to me. He's been great in like 95% of the games he's played in as a devil.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

Happy for Marino, always liked him on the Pens. Glad he found a team on the rise and not going to the bottom.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Reffing has been insane this postseason, how was crushing and injuring a guy 5 seconds after the puck is out of play reduced from a major to two for interference lol

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

fermun posted:

Yes, it went out of play. Refs didn't blow the whistle when puck went out of play, didn't call any penalty at all live, then called a major so that they could do video review, then reduced it back to a minor and you could see the ref and Makar talking to each other and it looked like Makar said something like "I thought he had it" while the ref shook his head and said no then there was a bunch more between them but I couldn't tell what they were saying

Yeah. I totally get the interference call. The puck was out of play / no one knew where it was. That’s a penalty (though I would have gone w/ roughing). If I was a Sea-Tac Letter S’s fan, I would totally be foaming at the mouth / booing Makar on every touch. I get it.

But people acting like Makar is the second coming of Scott Stevens is a bit rich. Like how much hockey have they watched this dude play?

Ultimately, what may save Makar from suspension is that the whistle hadn’t been blown, and this is his first contact with the disciplinary committee IIRC. Either way, though, like whoever it was said in the GDT: the best bet is that whichever team makes it out of this series is going to get absolutely ground to dust by the winner of the Starts/Wild matchup.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scott Stevens was doing what everyone else was doing back then. He was just better at it.

Therefore Makar is worse than Scott Stevens.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If McCann wasn't hurt he gets nothing. With McCann possibly being out for the series (or longer) I think it's likely he gets a game, possibly two.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

yeah idk at least eric lindros had the puck when scott stevens murdered him

I do believe Makar *thought* the puck was in the corner, but you probably can't let a play like that slide when someone gets injured

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

waffle enthusiast posted:

Yeah. I totally get the interference call. The puck was out of play / no one knew where it was. That’s a penalty (though I would have gone w/ roughing). If I was a Sea-Tac Letter S’s fan, I would totally be foaming at the mouth / booing Makar on every touch. I get it.

But people acting like Makar is the second coming of Scott Stevens is a bit rich. Like how much hockey have they watched this dude play?

Ultimately, what may save Makar from suspension is that the whistle hadn’t been blown, and this is his first contact with the disciplinary committee IIRC. Either way, though, like whoever it was said in the GDT: the best bet is that whichever team makes it out of this series is going to get absolutely ground to dust by the winner of the Starts/Wild matchup.

You got it right mostly. The whistle doesn’t need to go for McCann to not be eligible for getting hit though. And Makar isn’t the dirtiest player since Stevens, that’s still Cooke. It was not a good or even close to legal hit though and I think the injury on it may push it into 1 game suspension just because of how late after the puck it was. Anything more than that is just excessive I’d think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I don't see how anything can possibly go wrong for the Leafs now... I mean it's almost gotta be a guarantee they'll get out of the first round, how do you guys think you'll do in the second round?