Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Look if i can get intel from thug shaker central then i can get battle plans from somethingawful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

constantly checking buck breaker central for leaks

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Sending an Email to Russia that says “try cutting off their supplies; you’re welcome on the victory” along with an SA catchphrase

it would be a fun gag to send this in an actual letter addressed to the authorities in Moscow, be sure to post a trip report on how it goes

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
F5ing war thunder forums hoping to get the radar codes that will allow me to send the flight of the phoenix to strike the killer blow against the record industry assocation of america.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

speng31b posted:

it would be a fun gag to send this in an actual letter addressed to the authorities in Moscow, be sure to post a trip report on how it goes

the first successful goon project

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, it make not be possible to fully demolish infrastructure on Ukraine's Western border just based on range and what systems they could use. That said, I think the "quick" approach was already mostly over a year ago, and Russia's plan is focused on attrition.

Perhaps, one could argue, they want to keep that infrastructure up to allow people to flee, arguably not for humanitarian reasons, but it is clearly sapping the Ukrainians of manpower. Also, you are likely less willing to fight if you can escape rather than being trapped. In addition, it would probably take a large amount of munitions that could be used in other sectors (Russia's ammo capacity isn't actually limitless).

It goes back to the previous debate over how the war is going to end. I don't think Russia's aims are a big sweeping attack (at least not at this point) but simply to sap the Ukrainians of manpower, morale, air defense assets, and other material to the point where the Ukrainian state can't defend itself any longer.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

"leninderry" in the Irish S.S.R :pusheen:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

hmm
https://twitter.com/feher_junior/status/1649042779975106565

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Comrade Koba posted:

"leninderry" in the Irish S.S.R :pusheen:

check out the city names in australia

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/Orgetorix/status/1650460925307113474

hmmm so if ukraine is to have freedom millions of sudanese must die a high price to pay but were happy to make them pay it

some guy tts lovely articles suck, but something i havve noticed recently is that no one talks about blackwater or whatever the gently caress erik prince calls it anymore now that they can just talk about wagner mercenaries

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
"yeah im gonna stop nato from sending in materiel piecemeal to be piloted by nazis directly into artillery fire" —general vladmir stuputin

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Blackwater is in Africa.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

some guy tts lovely articles suck, but something i havve noticed recently is that no one talks about blackwater or whatever the gently caress erik prince calls it anymore now that they can just talk about wagner mercenaries

erik prince is helping china now but before there were some articles from the last few years about him working with the wagners

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
look if Russia can't blow up tunnels, then that means they didn't blow up Nordstream, because a pipe is really just a smaller tunnel

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Also his poo poo little company has shriveled. still evil and stupid, but smaller and mostly working for China in Africa.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

Also his poo poo little company has shriveled. still evil and stupid, but smaller and mostly working for China in Africa.

this was a good one

i admire the craft

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Regarde Aduck posted:

i really don't get why they're not blowing the bridges/tunnels

that's like the least they could do

Because literally the only people (and I mean civilian population, not governments) in the entire loving world that actually give a poo poo about the Ukrainian people (again, population, not government) are Russians.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Organ Fiend posted:

Because literally the only people (and I mean civilian population, not governments) in the entire loving world that actually give a poo poo about the Ukrainian people (again, population, not government) are Russians.

i understand the point of not causing needless suffering by utterly destroying a countries infrastructure but at some point you need to actually think of your own soldiers lives. I'm aware that i'm just a pleb and there's probably an excellent reason but i just can't personally understand why you wouldn't want to stop material flowing in. If it really is because Russia doesn't want to cause unnecessary suffering then lol that they get called orcs for their efforts.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

these are teh 2 first results when i google erik prince

https://time.com/6076035/erik-prince-ukraine-private-army/

https://theintercept.com/2020/04/13/erik-prince-russia-mercenary-wagner-libya-mozambique/

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

i understand the point of not causing needless suffering by utterly destroying a countries infrastructure but at some point you need to actually think of your own soldiers lives. I'm aware that i'm just a pleb and there's probably an excellent reason but i just can't personally understand why you wouldn't want to stop material flowing in. If it really is because Russia doesn't want to cause unnecessary suffering then lol that they get called orcs for their efforts.

it's probably because if they start shooting at the polish border it could give nato an excuse to intervene directly

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

It is probably because the material flowing it isn't in such quantities that destroying infrastructure would really slow it down. I mean, we already know how many 155mm shells they have on hand, and the other type of heavy equipment they are getting from the West. It isn't a situation, where destroying some tunnels/bridges would make it transit impossible, especially since there is such a large land border with NATO. That stuff is going to get in regardless.

Also, the Ukrainians can always create pontoon bridges and tunnels that are not that easy to destroy (especially if you are working with precision munitions and more modest warhead sizes). Basically, it just doesn't really make sense, especially if they are going for an attrition strategy when there will be plenty of time for Ukrainians to work around the issue.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I don’t understand your point. I think Prince would work for anyone on Earth if they paid him. But his list of who he would like to hire him and the list of who hires him in reality are rather different.

He also had some plan for people to pay him $5 billion to become an Afghan warlord, but no one wanted to pay him for his unasked plans.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
mlmp08 and ardenes have agreed on something

We are entering the end times

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
were there always two moons up there?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

I don’t understand your point. I think Prince would work for anyone on Earth if they paid him. But his list of who he would like to hire him and the list of who hires him in reality are rather different.

He also had some plan for people to pay him $5 billion to become an Afghan warlord, but no one wanted to pay him for his unasked plans.

both articles tlak about prince wokring with china wehre did you get the "working for China in Africa" part???

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

was digital camo ever found to be actually good? I've only ever criticism of it that "nature doesn't look like that" or something similar, which intuitively means it's really effective at camouflaging people, but I don't know if that's simply a knee-jerk, "common sense" reaction

There's a navy office where I work and I can totally see those sailors in their digital camo from a long way away. I don't know where it's supposed to work but it certainly doesn't make them blend into the cubicles or the line at the poke bar.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

both articles tlak about prince wokring with china wehre did you get the "working for China in Africa" part???

I don’t know where your confusion comes from. Erik Prince founded a company, Frontier Services Group.

Among their clients are Chinese businesses.

Among locations tasked to work are places in Africa on behalf of or in association with these Chinese businesses.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Services_Group

quote:

Frontier Services Group (FSG) is a Chinese Africa-focused security, aviation, and logistics company founded and led until April 2021 by Erik Prince, the former head of Blackwater Worldwide. Prince has described FSG's main corporate mission as helping Chinese businesses to work safely in Africa.

He also runs Frontier Resources Group, because he sheds and swaps company names and orgs nonstop.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

I don’t know where your confusion comes from. Erik Prince founded a company, Frontier Services Group.

Among their clients are Chinese businesses.

Among locations tasked to work are places in Africa on behalf of or in association with these Chinese businesses.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Services_Group

He also runs Frontier Resources Group, because he sheds and swaps company names and orgs nonstop.

thanks for citing a random line in wikipedia instead of an article

https://theintercept.com/2016/03/24/blackwater-founder-erik-prince-under-federal-investigation/

quote:

Despite the provenance of FSG’s funding and Prince’s history of bad publicity, Prince was able to recruit an impressive line-up of former U.S. military and intelligence officers to run the company. Key to Prince’s ability to retain such personnel, given FSG’s ties to China, has been the firm’s strictly circumscribed mission, which does not include military-related services. FSG is a publicly traded aviation and logistics firm specializing in shipping in Africa and elsewhere. The company also conducts high-risk evacuations from conflict zones. Prince has described his work with FSG as being “on the side of peace and economic development” and helping Chinese businesses to work safely in Africa.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mlmp08 posted:

giving the nuristanis a seperate assr but loving over the western himalayas and subjugating the kashmiris to the rule of Singhs once more
shameful map

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I mean that's the crux of the issue isn't it? We can both claim that the other side is divorced from reality. Whereas the objective reality is that, more than a year in, Russia has utterly failed to conquer and subjugate a country 28 times smaller than itself.

It's a special military operation.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Regarde Aduck posted:

Maybe some of the people in the Russian government have some kind of sentimental feelings for Ukraine, but its not necessary that they do.

If Russia just completely obliterated Ukraine; bombed all of the bridges, destroyed all water and power infrastructure, just went all Gulf War 2/Dresden/Tokyo on their asses? The Russian population would probably turn against the war rapidly. I'd wager that the vast majority, if not all, of Russians (at least those living in the west of the country) either have family in Ukraine, know someone with family in Ukraine, or know a Ukrainian living in Russia. People would know what was happening to their friends and family.

Americans didn't and still don't give a poo poo about Palestinians, Afghanis or Iraqis, but can you imagine the reaction if the US went all total war on ... I dunno, Canada or Mexico? There are familial connections there. The reaction still probably wouldn't be as strong as the Russian reaction to total war on Ukraine.

Russia's leaders could be cold hearted, ruthless robots and they still would hesitate to go all total-war on Ukraine because it would make the domestic political situation difficult for them. Its probably why they didn't push on Kiev, level it, and capture/kill Zelensky and end the war in the first month.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Should've voted for Xi

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hitting the atm would keep people from being able to get gas & snacks at the convenience store which would probably cut traffic dramatically.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah but my question remains "and then what?"
Slow and incredibly painful reintegration into a united political body that existed for several hundred years.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
To be honest, it is pretty arguable that the shock and awe campaigns on the Gulf War(s) and Serbia were actually counter-productive, all 3 wars were short enough (and designed to be that way) that attacking infrastructure didn't make a huge difference, while terrorizing the civilian population was also fairly pointless (since public attitudes weren't going to be deciding factor). It was mostly a demonstration of arms against two countries that couldn't really defend themselves, (and once Serbia hit that F-117, the pace of the bombing dramatically slowed down.

The Russian bombing campaign specifically seemed extremely reliant on suicide drones in part because it was aimed at mostly absorbing Ukrainian air defenses and then occasionally hitting more strategic targets with precision munitions.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ardennes posted:

It goes back to the previous debate over how the war is going to end. I don't think Russia's aims are a big sweeping attack (at least not at this point) but simply to sap the Ukrainians of manpower, morale, air defense assets, and other material to the point where the Ukrainian state can't defend itself any longer.

Yeah, it certainly seems like the Russian authorities don't feel under pressure to end the war quickly - their economy's doing fine despite the sanctions, and their international alliances are holding steady or even improving - whereas they consider that the longer the war lasts, the more degraded Ukraine's forces become and their ability to take the initiative shrinks.

Again, I could be wrong and there's a coming Ukrainian offensive about to sweep into Crimea, we'll see, I guess.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Nonsense posted:

Ukraines regime might exist longer if they horde the weapons to beat back domestic strife. Attempting a major offensive against Crimea would be a disaster.

how is this poster constantly so correct?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There is some misunderstanding about what military uniforms do.

The vast majority of the time, the military uniform needs to do one of the following things:

Identify the wearer to the public as a member of the military

Identify the wearer to other members of the same military that they are on the same side and to not shoot at them.

This is like 99% of what uniforms are used for.

Yes, sometimes you may also want to hide in some shrubs but realistically that's like a miniscule percentage of the time of a miniscule percentage of the armed forces, the majority of whom are truck drivers and acountants and other such people. Even on the frontline of an actual war, "not getting shot by your own side" is vastly more important than whatever sniper elite scenario you're thinking of where the exact shade or pattern of your camouflage might make a difference.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also at least one or two bridges got blown up in the past several weeks, probably because of the new glide bomb upgrade kit.

It's also just really difficult to blow up those old soviet bridges and probably not really worth the effort right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
the Bradleys have digital camo because they cannot support higher texture resolution. they're obsolescent and need new graphics cards