Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

I'm pretty confident that remote work has an outsized impact on things like restaurants or bars, especially in big downtown cores.

The restaurant and bar landscape was way overbuilt anyway

it also turns out that building your post-industrial economy on people shoveling 5000 calories into their faces three days a week has some real bad effects on society as a whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Thread title

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

ok but just remember this is NOT contributing to inflation

https://twitter.com/thestalwart/status/1650836093430841344

Yes that is what the person who you posted has argued.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

The public loved Peepsi

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

tbf and not that I'd believe they weren't gouging anyway since everyone else is, but revenue growth doesn't necessarily mean profit growth right?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

euphronius posted:

my credit Union is offering me 6.75 for a new car loan . that is much better

this is worse than what i got for a kia rio in 2009 when i was unemployed, and used what last cash i had for a down payment

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1650819887521050626?s=20

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1650848010270658561?s=20

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1648856507075948544?s=20

Apr 7, 2003

A fuckin' BIg Mac, fries, and a coke are $11 here so it's certainly scaring me off

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
McDonald's is still kind of affordable compared to other fast food, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're seeing legitimate sales growth.

Apr 7, 2003

lol

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

McDonald's is still kind of affordable compared to other fast food, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're seeing legitimate sales growth.

“food”

Apr 7, 2003

street doc posted:

“food”

"McDonalds is so bad for you" I say as I gulp down my 1250 calorie $14 artisanal burger at the local brewpub

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Remember in the 2010s when McDonald's was in a full on panic because people were willing to pay $10 for a decent lunch at Chipotle instead of $7 for their poo poo.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

euphronius posted:

yeah don’t they want to originate the loan at the dealership so they can get fees when they sell the loan

If a dealership gets a loan for you from a bank, the bank gives the dealership a rate. The dealership then can add on to that rate their “fee”, anywhere from .25% to 4% or more. That is usually where you hear people getting hit with horrible rates on car loans. The bank gives the dealership a pretty terrible rate to begin with, then the dealership adds the max adder possible to max out the interest rate.

I don’t think these usually apply to the captive finance when financing directly through the manufacturer. But maybe.

This video talks about it a little bit better. The third question that starts at 5:50 specifically gives a high level view of dealership loans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHkySbOUgnI

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i used to eat cuban sandwiches every once and while and they were usually around $6 and the last time i went they were close to $12 at the local place nothing special at all same sandwich. I give it a few more months and they prob bump it up to $15

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

a pocket sized hamburger with bacon on it for what the What the WHAT THE gently caress

Apr 7, 2003

There was one McDonald's left downtown here and it was the only place near the transit hubs where people who didn't have a lot of money could get something to eat and get some refuge from the cold for twenty or thirty minutes. So of course the brewpub and reddit crowd shrieked about "crime" around that McDonald's until it closed. Now there's nowhere for the unhoused or working poor to get a coffee for $1 downtown. good stuff

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Lol I told myself I would get one of these when my car died in the next decade.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"McDonalds is so bad for you" I say as I gulp down my 1250 calorie $14 artisanal burger at the local brewpub

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

im going to guess their cancelling the bolt and prob releasing a more expensive bowl of poo poo to replace it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

those artisanal (lol) burgers are like 18$ now

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Orvin posted:

If a dealership gets a loan for you from a bank, the bank gives the dealership a rate. The dealership then can add on to that rate their “fee”, anywhere from .25% to 4% or more. That is usually where you hear people getting hit with horrible rates on car loans. The bank gives the dealership a pretty terrible rate to begin with, then the dealership adds the max adder possible to max out the interest rate.

I don’t think these usually apply to the captive finance when financing directly through the manufacturer. But maybe.

This video talks about it a little bit better. The third question that starts at 5:50 specifically gives a high level view of dealership loans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHkySbOUgnI

what an amazing system where in order to buy transportation that many people need you have to know multiple tips and tricks just so you don’t get completely hosed over. and there’s laws written saying there’s no other way you’re allowed to do it, what a wonderful society we have

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's funny because rightfully nobody likes the UK, even people stuck living here.

I was going to add a "but" then realised I couldn't find one, it's totally self-inflicted. Sure, we were declining anyway but the rate is far swifter than the rest of Europe. And it's not just Brexit, though that is the headline, we've voted for neoliberalism for the past 44 years. No wonder the country is hosed, once you sell off the nationalised industries & let the newly privatised water companies pump poo poo into rivers & seas rather than invest in infrastructure because where's the stockholder perks in that there's gently caress all else to do but cut taxes & wonder why the Laffer Curve isn't coming true.

We only lasted as long as we did because they found oil in the North Sea in '69-'71 & Thatcher used that to fund her taxcuts while the Norwegian used theirs for a sovereign wealth fund, the 4th largest sovereign wealth fund in the world. $1.3 trillion for a country of 5.5 million.

Going to go back in history & build the time machine from Red Alert and use it to travel to Grantham in 1950something and shake young Thatcher's hand, erasing her from history like Einstein did with Hitler.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

HallelujahLee posted:

im going to guess their cancelling the bolt and prob releasing a more expensive bowl of poo poo to replace it

First was the Volt, then came the Bolt. So figure out _olt for the next vehicle and win a prize.

But it’s probably so they can sell more Hummers and electric Silverados. I bet the Bolt production stops just as the Silverado production gets up to full speed.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

DancingShade posted:

If NASA really wants to show up musk in a more public way they should launch a petrol guzzling 70's car into high orbit with a cockpit go-pro, the driver dummy wearing a bomber jacket and dark sunglasses.

Something like this but in space. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyZQUEMZlCU

How is Viggo's version of Vanishing Point? I really liked the original.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Maed posted:

what an amazing system where in order to buy transportation that many people need you have to know multiple tips and tricks just so you don’t get completely hosed over. and there’s laws written saying there’s no other way you’re allowed to do it, what a wonderful society we have

"Buyer beware" is just another way of saying that scamming is allowed as long as you can get away with it and it's your own responsibility to not get scammed.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yeah so true the only 2 food choices are mcdonalds and gastropub fare

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

HallelujahLee posted:

Specifically to retool the plant to make Hummer and Silverado EVs.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes that is what the person who you posted has argued.

he has been persuaded by the price over volume ==> inflation arg

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

GM should make a new electric car.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Orvin posted:

First was the Volt, then came the Bolt. So figure out _olt for the next vehicle and win a prize.

The Chevy Jolt

what do I win?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Orvin posted:

But it’s probably so they can sell more Hummers and electric Silverados. I bet the Bolt production stops just as the Silverado production gets up to full speed.

The article says exactly that:

quote:

Barra said a suburban Detroit plant that has produced Chevy Bolts since 2016 will be retooled in preparation for production of electric Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks scheduled for next year.
“When the Chevrolet Bolt EV launched, it was a huge technical achievement and the first affordable EV, which set in motion GM’s all-electric future,” Chevy spokesman Cody Williams said in a statement. “Chevrolet will launch several new EVs later this year based on the Ultium platform in key segments, including the Silverado EV, Blazer EV and Equinox EV. ”
So not really abandoning electric vehicle production, just one particular model (that apparently has been selling better than ever recently).

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Maed posted:

Yup, why do you think pretty much everyone piled on to Tesla to try and stop the direct to consumer sales a decade ago. If people figured out that dealerships were parasitic middlemen, they might have to find other places to leach off of.

This isn’t to say the manufacturers are paragons of virtue either. Lots of scamming and leaching all the way down.

Father Wendigo posted:

The Chevy Jolt

what do I win?

A pair of jorts.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Chevy Galt

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

People tend to not go out as much when the cost of going out is drat near double the cost since 2019.

it's this plus the fake financial job havers spending tbeir money in their own zip code now that they don't have to commute.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How much are these when you don't opt for the 1000% margin sugared water?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

can't even feed the family for under $20 anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coTXlKL85eM

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

also Im curious what counts as "downtown" for NYC since if it's just like. Times square that is purely an accounting of tourism and the infrastructure required for it (retail & entertainment centers in a certain radius + transportation labor). NYC is fuggin yooge there's easily a dozen areas across the various boroughs which would be "the downtown" that have different economic ecosystems.

MTA ridership is a better metric and it is depressed bigly. It's great I love always getting a seat these days outside of very specific lines at very specific times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wall Street probably