Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

bobtheconqueror posted:

Namazu are literally the best what. Also, there's capstone quests as you do them that are really good and fun.
Objectively the worst, sorry. The capstone quests are really good, and that's why I've been mostly been doing them, shame there isn't an ShB one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Do we know if the materials for the current relic step are just going to change to Aphorism when the tomestones change over or would it just become a Poetics dump

E: Probably poetics, right? Since it'd future proof it for 7.0 when the level cap raises and you can't get endgame tomestones at level 80 anymore

It will switch to Causality in 6.4 and Poetics in 7.0

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is there any reason that the relics are just a (really cheap) tomestone turn in rather than the usual grindy nonsense? Honestly tacking them onto a preexisting sidequest chain sort of makes them feel like an afterthought but I don't know if they've given any sort of explanation.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Waffleman_ posted:

Do we know if the materials for the current relic step are just going to change to Aphorism when the tomestones change over or would it just become a Poetics dump

E: Probably poetics, right? Since it'd future proof it for 7.0 when the level cap raises and you can't get endgame tomestones at level 80 anymore

They haven't said. The last time they had a step like this it started out as poetics. So who knows. I could see it going either way.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Tekopo posted:

Objectively the worst, sorry. The capstone quests are really good, and that's why I've been mostly been doing them, shame there isn't an ShB one.

It's nice that we tolerate incorrect opinions in this thread but there should be a limit

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Maybe it's to give people a break from weird grindy nonsense. Kinda great how I can pick up the needed material (tomes) just by doing any of a huge amount of other content, rather than say running specifically DR until my eyes bleed for timeworns. Also Hildy is a whole thing in itself that many people didn't do, and now there's a "real" reason to do it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still haven't started on it because just grinding tomestones is like my least favorite thing to do.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

GloomMouse posted:

Maybe it's to give people a break from weird grindy nonsense. Kinda great how I can pick up the needed material (tomes) just by doing any of a huge amount of other content, rather than say running specifically DR until my eyes bleed for timeworns. Also Hildy is a whole thing in itself that many people didn't do, and now there's a "real" reason to do it.

Yeah I think it might be because they locked the relic behind a frankly super long quest line that many players simply haven't done. Requiring additional grinding on top of that probably seemed cruel.

Edit: I like the Hildy quests but they drag a bit, especially the ARR line.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm sure there will be some horribly annoying step before it's done

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the hildibrand dungeon at the end of the questline

including a savage version just like delubrum

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Instead of light you'll need to accumulate sweat

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GloomMouse posted:

Instead of light you'll need to accumulate sweat

You gotta do the squats minigame from FF7.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

bobtheconqueror posted:

Yeah I think it might be because they locked the relic behind a frankly super long quest line that many players simply haven't done. Requiring additional grinding on top of that probably seemed cruel.

Edit: I like the Hildy quests but they drag a bit, especially the ARR line.

Yeah, and Bozja only required the Stormblood alliance raids, which a majority of players could probably have been assumed to have done already, especially if they're the kind of players to care about relics

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

They added the Tomestone Changes to the Lodestone:

Patch 6.4 will see several changes to Allagan tomestones, including the addition of a new type of tomestone and revisions made to previously existing ones.

These revisions will result in the removal of all Allagan tomestones of aphorism. Players carrying this currency are encouraged to exchange it for Allagan tomestones of astronomy before the start of Patch 6.4 maintenance.

* Updated on Tuesday, April 25, 2023 at 4:00 a.m. (PDT)

New Tomestone
Allagan tomestones of comedy will be added, which can only be obtained after reaching level 90 with at least one class or job.

Regarding Existing Tomestones

Allagan Tomestones of Causality
The weekly obtainment cap for Allagan tomestones of causality will be removed.
* Maximum inventory limit of 2,000 still applies.

Allagan Tomestones of Astronomy
These tomestones will no longer be obtainable.
All trials and duties that currently yield these tomestones will instead offer Allagan tomestones of causality or the new Allagan tomestone currency.

Players will no longer be able to exchange these tomestones for items.
Although Allagan tomestones of astronomy will not be removed in Patch 6.4, items obtained through their exchanges will be made available through other means.

These tomestones may be exchanged for Allagan tomestones of causality.
* Exchange tomestones by speaking to Auriana in Revenant's Toll (X: 22.7 Y: 6.7).

Allagan Tomestones of Aphorism
With the release of Patch 6.4, all Allagan tomestones of aphorism in the possession of players will be removed.
* Players currently carrying Allagan tomestones of aphorism are advised to exchange them for Allagan tomestones of astronomy by speaking with Auriana in Revenant's Toll (X: 22.7 Y: 6.7) prior to the scheduled maintenance for Patch 6.4.

Allagan Tomestones of Poetics
Allagan tomestones of poetics will be obtainable from trials and duties up to level 80, as well as the Duty Roulette.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

That just says you won't be able to use Astronomy to purchase things, which we knew. It doesn't say that things previously purchasable with Astronomy will be purchasable with poetics or causality.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rowena's exchange rate is wack

Not that this is surprising, but still

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Rap Game Goku posted:

That just says you won't be able to use Astronomy to purchase things, which we knew. It doesn't say that things previously purchasable with Astronomy will be purchasable with poetics or causality.

Yeah, it's just the standard change when added a new limited type, but that gets us closer to them telling us the things we really wanna know. Kinda like how telling us the Moogle Treasure Trove event was coming told us that 6.4 was close.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Alder posted:

For ppl with alts: how do you manage?

I want an alt character but with the sheer amount of old or paid glam stuff, I feel like It would be suffering to re-collect everything again. Also, I would have to redo ARR and StB if I want to save money instead of story or level skips.

I'm avoiding fantasia since I always end up going back to my original race over time and money.

Me and my sister do alts, and what we do is use our mains to help glam each other's alts usually. Story skips were admittadly used by me, but sister has OCD so she is an amazing power leveler. Also she rps the story choices differentally which makes it feel different for her

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The exchange rate is like 5:1 right? So if you're just going to spend them on Complementary Chondrites either way it's better to not save

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

stev posted:

Is there any reason that the relics are just a (really cheap) tomestone turn in rather than the usual grindy nonsense? Honestly tacking them onto a preexisting sidequest chain sort of makes them feel like an afterthought but I don't know if they've given any sort of explanation.

Eureka and Bozja both seemed to have somewhat mixed reception, there were people who really liked them, but there was also a fair share of criticism, so I could also see them just taking an expansion off from bespoke relic content in order to reevaluate how they can make something that more people will like.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rap Game Goku posted:

We don't know that things previously purchasable with Astronomy will be purchasable with Causality, we just know that in every previous even patch the things that were purchasable with the previous uncapped tombstone became purchasable with the new uncapped tome, or poetics if said even patch is a new expack. I guess they could throw a curveball this time, though. And, to be fair I guess this this is the first time a relec step has used uncapped tomes. Maybe they'll switch it to capped tomes. Or hunt currency! That would be pretty funny.

Edit: To be clear, uncapped tome gear does get moved to hunt currency, so I'm only half joking about that. I'd still bet all my gil that the relic mats will move to Causality.

stev posted:

There's no Bozja/Eureka because the team that was responsible for them is handling the early dungeon/duty support rework this time around. Doesn't explain why they didn't do something like a FATE grind, though. "They thought having to do all of Hildebrand was grind enough" is the most plausible explanation, imo.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 25, 2023

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i hope they do a step that sounds like a hellishly long fate grind but you're done on the first fate

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

There is precedent for relic characters doing a fake out about the next step being a hellgrind (we'll need 50 no 100 Atma!)

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I'm late to RDM predictions but: new finisher will be another duality thing like Verflare/Verholy, but instead on just doing more black/white, it'll be Vergravity and Verhamut.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Maybe they'll move it over to Causality for the rest of the expansion but also lower the number you need so people don't get hosed over by the exchange rate.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe they'll move it over to Causality for the rest of the expansion but also lower the number you need so people don't get hosed over by the exchange rate.

*chuckles Rowenishly*

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
They should roll aiming into scouting because scouting is a better name. Also scouting routinely gets the shaft for appearances already, just be done with it. Would also prefer they move to a single job per expansion for the sake of longevity and I feel like they could ease into this by adding dps and finally beast master limited job in 7.0. I beg you, beast master please imagine the Lyon vs Godbert daddy-offs we could have…

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Pagaga will be the Beastmaster job npc actually

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

IMO, the GCs should step in to control the Tomestone trade and seize Rowena's assets.

e: AND FINALLY GIVE ME A loving PROMOTION SINCE I loving SAVED THE WORLD

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Cleretic posted:

... (and why it might be time to resuscitate the spoiler thread)

Got the ball rolling!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

FATE grinding loving sucks and it was encouraged for ARR/HW relics as a way to get the open zones populated with people again, same as the Yokai Watch event.

It's not a completely solved issue but bicolored gemstones and area ranks get people into zones often enough that I think (I hope) that we never have to have a bespoke FATE grind step ever again without an alternative way to progress through that step like Bozjan weapons.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

there was a really incredible post when i think the second hildibrand step dropped where some ffxiv youtuber was like "ugh i hate that the grind for relics is so boring this time. i miss the good old days of conspiracy theories about atma drop rates" and meant it wholly unironically. in light of posts like that i think reducing the grind can only be a good thing because it discourages the development of those particular brain worms.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If Zero doesn't become our travel companion for 7.0, I'm going to be very cross.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vitamean posted:

the hildibrand dungeon at the end of the questline

including a savage version just like delubrum

BATTLE ON THE BIG BRIDGE
BATTLE ON THE BIG BRIDGE
BATTLE ON THE BIG BRIDGE
BATTLE ON THE BIG BRIDGE

GREG WHEN

Vitamean posted:

FATE grinding loving sucks and it was encouraged for ARR/HW relics as a way to get the open zones populated with people again, same as the Yokai Watch event.

It's not a completely solved issue but bicolored gemstones and area ranks get people into zones often enough that I think (I hope) that we never have to have a bespoke FATE grind step ever again without an alternative way to progress through that step like Bozjan weapons.

To make this not just a Hildibrand shitpost, I think this is the real reason the grind is toning down--at least in how relics were traditionally done. And without a Bozja to anchor the weapon to, there's less other things to weld a grind onto. Which I'm all for. Grind-based motivation feels more stick than carrot as a reason to go back to that content.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 25, 2023

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Valentin posted:

there was a really incredible post when i think the second hildibrand step dropped where some ffxiv youtuber was like "ugh i hate that the grind for relics is so boring this time. i miss the good old days of conspiracy theories about atma drop rates" and meant it wholly unironically. in light of posts like that i think reducing the grind can only be a good thing because it discourages the development of those particular brain worms.

It's a good bit of nonsense. Like, I can get that at face value, "turn 1500 uncapped tomes into an upgrade" sounds lame, but here's a big list of opportunities you can take to work towards that step instead of do FATE, hope a token drops:

e: my brain went faster than my fingers again

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 25, 2023

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

If Zero doesn't become our travel companion for 7.0, I'm going to be very cross.

I hope 6.5 is all about killing her.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

Same, she's a complete nothing character and there's no reason for her to still be around after 6.4

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

GloomMouse posted:

Pagaga will be the Beastmaster job npc actually

yes please

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

super sweet best pal posted:

Firebert posted:

Same, she's a complete nothing character and there's no reason for her to still be around after 6.4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fear not, it's entirely likely that 6.5 is about killing Zero and 7.0 still involves hanging out with Zero.