Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

From what I understand, Frontiers managed to introduce the most popular new character since Blaze back in 2005 so good on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

haveblue posted:

Looks better than ready player one tbh

Ready Player One was fun. Movie plot was pretty all over the place, because movies, but it was fine.
Books not a bad read, and does some fun concepts, but I've heard the sequel is pretty terrible

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't get why finko pop decided to make all of their toys hideous garbage no one ever wants to have to see. Surely they would've been more successful by making sculptures that looked good and cuts instead.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Khanstant posted:

I don't get why finko pop decided to make all of their toys hideous garbage no one ever wants to have to see. Surely they would've been more successful by making sculptures that looked good and cuts instead.

Because it's cheap and some fanbases are desperate for any kind of merch.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe i'm the weird one but i have never and will never buy merch (my parents did buy me cool Sonic shorts and space jam t-shirts when i was a kid but that was beyond my control)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's not any more expensive to have made a good base model for your entire line of products. Presumably they paid someone at some point to come up with the base design and they could've had that artist use that same time to make something less offensive instead. It's not an accident they look like that, the artist wanted to express a dark feeling towards all humanity.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

the heavily stylized faces drastically cut down on both production and design costs (and i wouldn't be surprised if they also skirt around likeness reproduction rights to boot), as well as giving them a very uniquely identifiable "look" that is, for better or worse, instantly recognizable as a funko pop. it's the same principle as those bored ape yacht club NFTs where everything looks like poo poo, but the fact that it looks like poo poo is beneficial for the purposes of profit margins and brand recognition

at the end of the day, you're not really buying funko pops or ape NFTs for their art, you're buying them for their symbolic value, either as a representation of true fandom or as a public display of wealth and tech savviness

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they're not meant to be removed from the boxes so the box shaped heads have stylistic resonance with the corners of their container they're in

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe i'm the weird one but i have never and will never buy merch (my parents did buy me cool Sonic shorts and space jam t-shirts when i was a kid but that was beyond my control)

I will buy merch if hits that cross of good price and good quality, like those sitting pokemon plushes.

Khanstant posted:

It's not any more expensive to have made a good base model for your entire line of products. Presumably they paid someone at some point to come up with the base design and they could've had that artist use that same time to make something less offensive instead. It's not an accident they look like that, the artist wanted to express a dark feeling towards all humanity.

They do capture the soulless corporate culture that probably inspired them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Heavily stylized low effort faces that can be converted into myriad IP or variants doesn't mean it has to be fuckin ugly. Japan alone has produced a trillion chibi characters who look like freaky proportioned people like Funko's, but they are cute instead of hideous. I have to assume the ugliness is intentional, a way to grab attention that a nice looking sculpt wouldn't get.

In the bored apes case I assume that artist or artists are just bad or cursed.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

There was someone at my work who had I think over a hundred of them next to their desk (and I guess a lot more at home) but I've bought like 10 amiibos so who am I to judge

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I simply purchase pokemon plushes

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i have a giant vinyl dash rendar doll on my bookshelf. bought FOR me but otherwuse yeah i dont go in for merch much

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

i buy yetee shirts and that's about the extent of my fandomness

my walls are bare and plain (i would not be able to film Youtube video essays with such lack of decor, certainly)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i am a sucker for tie-in comics/novels/games though. Dead Space's comics were real good. illustrated by Ben Templesmith.

i think i am the only person to read the Killzone 3 novelization tho

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

kinda thought this might be cancelled after recent Funko layoffs, and it feels like something that should have been released a good 4-5 years ago, but I guess it does have The Thing content going for it at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eq52cnf_Os

same vibes as the lovely bored ape games

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Barry Convex posted:

kinda thought this might be cancelled after recent Funko layoffs, and it feels like something that should have been released a good 4-5 years ago, but I guess it does have The Thing content going for it at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eq52cnf_Os

they remade the thing's defibrillation scene with digital funko pops.

god what a depressing sentence.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hold up. I thought it was Fantastic Four Thing. You're telling me it's eighties horror classic The Thing? Absolute why? For what purpose was this made?

Funko Pop is the most disgusting object of conspicuous consumption I've ever seen. Stop buying worthless plastic trash so you can signal to others your overvaluation of equally vapid psuedopopculture.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

they remade the thing's defibrillation scene with digital funko pops.

god what a depressing sentence.

:staredog:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Thing rocks, i should rewatch it. Thank you funkopops for reminding me of a thing i like, you were worth it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
agreed that these consumer objects of nostalgia bait and conspicuous consumption suck rear end. now to buy more pokemon plushes

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Hold up. I thought it was Fantastic Four Thing. You're telling me it's eighties horror classic The Thing? Absolute why? For what purpose was this made?

Funko Pop is the most disgusting object of conspicuous consumption I've ever seen. Stop buying worthless plastic trash so you can signal to others your overvaluation of equally vapid psuedopopculture.

You need body horror funkos to go with your "literally Laura Palmer dead and in a plastic sheet from Twin Peaks" funko

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mr E posted:

You need body horror funkos to go with your "literally Laura Palmer dead and in a plastic sheet from Twin Peaks" funko

lmao is that real

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I definitely didn't have a plastic robot model kit come in the mail yesterday myself

Jay Rust posted:

lmao is that real

https://www.amazon.com/Funko-Television-Palmer-Plastic-Action/dp/B01N10MHOI

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"action" figures but not much action you can do with laura

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

agreed that these consumer objects of nostalgia bait and conspicuous consumption suck rear end. now to buy more magic cards

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are you guys just like, not able to resist the siren call of "thing i like, in pog form"? maybe i'm stronger than i thought

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My dead uncle was a hoarder so I have an innate fear of having too much crap and seeing pictures people with hoards of funco fills me with both dread and pity

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gently caress earth, I wasn't saying Funko's are bad because consumerism whatever they are just ugly as hell. If Darwin didn't want us to make plastic and vinyl toys then he wouldn't have evolved us all this sweet oil for us.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if they're meant to be kept in the boxes then why are the boxes ugly too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remembering the "pop-tract"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Was reading that the AMD 7800x3D processors have an issue with their voltage that is making them burnout. How common is this issue actually though? How likely? I kinda already bought a new PC with this CPU. :P

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remembering the "pop-tract"

Is that the funko pop divorce?

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

I said come in! posted:

Was reading that the AMD 7800x3D processors have an issue with their voltage that is making them burnout. How common is this issue actually though? How likely? I kinda already bought a new PC with this CPU. :P

I don't think anyone's figured out how common it is, but people seem to be blaming the motherboard rather than the cpu so far

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

imho anything you collect should have some sort of use, like erotic pillowcases

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're called dakimakura, and they're art.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is that the funko pop divorce?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fake Name posted:

I don't think anyone's figured out how common it is, but people seem to be blaming the motherboard rather than the cpu so far

Okay, so I won't have a freakout about it then. There's not enough information yet. I saw that at least MSI has released a bio's update as well to help with a bandaid solution until something more specific is released by AMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

James Bouhuys, Addicted Popper