Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its still bizarre that anyone thought doing a terrible looking remaster of Bowser's Inside Story, on a end-of-life console which could easily play the original game natively, was a good idea

i get that the idea was that they wanted to get another game out of the 3D engine they used for the other 3DS M+L games but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Literally everything after the first game is DS or later too, so don't expect more of them to hit the online service anytime soon either.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Unlucky7 posted:

I know I should not cheese the Fog of War stages by moving up a unit, seeing if there are enemies, then immediately resetting the turn and acting accordingly.

But I do not care

On FoW maps, this move actually costs fuel, so the game expects it

e; misread slightly - resetting the whole turn doesn't cost fuel. But if you select a unit, move it, but don't commit the move, it will charge you fuel for the revealed tiles.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
someone has to be working on a high quality clone of the DS/3DS in the retro handheld scene, right. or is there too much stuff in that design under patent

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Feels Villeneuve posted:

AlphaDream went bankrupt so unfortunately not likely and Nintendo's insistence on keeping everything related to the Mario IP strictly controlled would probably just make them not have the charm they used to

The ones people liked are the first three

Cattail Prophet posted:

Literally everything after the first game is DS or later too, so don't expect more of them to hit the online service anytime soon either.

Ah right, anything DS/3DS is probably more effort than what they really want for NSO. I was asking because Alphadream being deceased doesn't seem to have stopped them from putting the first one (which I just beat) on the service.

Is it just me or is the power curve in that game kinda hosed, like as far as I can tell there is no real way of raising your defense/HP dramatically but your damage output and those of the bosses becomes ridiculous, so it's basically kill or be killed. It's kind of a shame there's no super hard bonus boss at the end.

mycot fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 25, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VideoGames posted:

Was playing some burger time deluxe on the GBA app last night and it was pretty excellent fun.

Are there any newer versions out there? Or similar games?

The original was released by Arcade Archives. It's fun but is very annoying to control. If you are not precisely lined up with platforms you will not turn onto them. For some reason I was able to control this better on an Intellivision controller than a D Pad which is insane. (And not just nostalgia, I played it on an Intellivision fairly recently.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also if you do have a DS somewhere, the DS Mario and Luigi games thankfully haven't been bitten by the collectability bug and can be gotten for super cheap, assuming you don't want to like, flashcart it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

someone has to be working on a high quality clone of the DS/3DS in the retro handheld scene, right. or is there too much stuff in that design under patent

nah. not worth the effort

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
They added motion controls to Duck Hunt on Wii U VC. Would be nice if they did that for other Light Gun games & added them to NSO.

Same with Mario Paint or Yoshi's Safari. Just add motion controls to replicate the SNES mouse and Super Scope.

But that requires effort on Nintendo's part, so it'll never happen.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
people seem perfectly happy emulating DS games on a single screen with a toggle button and those that aren't can just get a DS lite or DSi since they're still plentiful and cheap. the demand isn't there for a modern dual screen clone

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

beer gas canister posted:

On FoW maps, this move actually costs fuel, so the game expects it

This is still true in the remaster, but also, in the single player modes the remaster lets you just straight up rewind to the start of your turn an infinite number of times. Which is usually only good for when you input the wrong move by accident, since most maps have perfect information, but in fog of war you can abuse it to scout without using up any fuel or losing your turn when you bump into an enemy (if you don't mind knowing in your heart that you have Gamed Without Honor).

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm guessing the future of DS/3DS handheld emulation will be a cell phone vertically mounted in one of those controller attachments

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

mycot posted:

I was asking because Alphadream being deceased doesn't seem to have stopped them from putting the first one (which I just beat) on the service.
I'm sure Nintendo owns all the actual IP here and could republish them whenever. It's just inertia with the DS.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Only in NA and Europe, but yeah. Hudson published it in Japan themselves.

konami owns hudson's catalogue now

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you can also pirate and emulate games, for the nintendo switch

I can';t believe you'd disrespect Nintendo like this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Literally all games more than 20 years old should be free, no exceptions

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I just completed my first session of Ring Fit Adventure.

Gonna beef up via video games as the gods of gaming (Nintendo AKA Wintendo) ordained. :hai:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mycot posted:

Is there any chance of more Mario and Luigi games on the Switch? Which ones are the ones people don't like again

Edit: I know one game had the HP values inflated in the US version like the old Contras

Not unless they add the DS platform

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

VideoGames posted:

I just completed my first session of Ring Fit Adventure.

Gonna beef up via video games as the gods of gaming (Nintendo AKA Wintendo) ordained. :hai:

What did you think of Dragaux?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

dervival posted:

I left him for tomorrow. (Plan on doing a little each day after work and only had a short while to do some this evening).

I did the first two levels and a bit of the fitness trial stuff in quick play. It was really good fun and worked better than I realised.

My favourite are the ab guards. :)

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

The ab guard action is viscerally fun, yeah!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

dervival posted:

Can gently caress like a dinos- oh you mean, like...yeah he's a tough battle alright

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

no no go on that's entirely what I meant

can't believe they don't give you the 'aftermath cigarette' move until world 4, the balance is almost as bad as miitopia in that regard

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Can gently caress like a dinos- oh you mean, like...yeah he's a tough battle alright

we know how dinosaurs gently caress? cool. we're so good at paleontology

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
There's a guy at my gym who looks like Dragaux. I think I've seen him use every machine.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Even the fax machine!?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Marx Headroom posted:

There's a guy at my gym who looks like Dragaux. I think I've seen him use every machine.

is he also like 10% legs

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

EightFlyingCars posted:

we know how dinosaurs gently caress? cool. we're so good at paleontology

do herbivores even have sex???

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

dervival posted:

Even the fax machine!?

This dude probably eats fax machines. Play Ring Fit in your living room, goons. Stay safe.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Scholtz posted:

I'm guessing the future of DS/3DS handheld emulation will be a cell phone vertically mounted in one of those controller attachments

would look better if you could use two separate phones, horizontally mounted on top of each other

optimally, only use phones where an old DS-stylus would work on

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I cannot quantify why I enjoy Advance Wars a lot more than Wargroove, but I do. I like tanks and airplanes and stuff more than the fantasy wargroove stuff, but i feel like there are other reasons that I'm too dense to properly describe.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 25, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wargroove moves too slow and the units are lame and the name is dumb and I hate it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty posted:

Wargroove moves too slow and the units are lame and the name is dumb and I hate it

Every single mission is an unceasing grinding slog due to the balance too

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The thing that killed wargrove for me was that all the units were clearly designed using Advance Wars units as a base and then tweaked from there, but the tweaks just ended up feeling worse than the base AW units they were based on.

Plus having COs only be differentiated by their super powers, with no day to day changes to your units.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if nintendo does decide to make another new advance wars i could see them pulling pretty heavily from engage, some of the emblem powers are basically pared down co powers already

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I cannot quantify why I enjoy Advance Wars a lot more than Wargroove, but I do. I like tanks and airplanes and stuff more than the fantasy wargroove stuff, but i feel like there are other reasons that I'm too dense to properly describe.

Map design for one. AW is impeccably designed by even Intelligent Systems standards. Wargroove had no idea how to balance the game well, so maps were just slogs to cross. AW tends to give you an a situation where you are underpowered versus the enemy but have all sorts of tools to overcome that imbalance, usually in the form in important resources and bases at hand. A single key location can help turn the tide of the battle and the game is very good at keying you into those locations, whereas Wargroove often had you and the enemy have the same resources so you had to use "tactics" to beat them which made it a grind.

AW lets you use tactics to win a key advantage and then gloriously steam-roll the enemy which is incredibly satisfying. Dual Strike had this with its main gimmick which the game too easy, but man using a Dual Strike and just crushing never gets old.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Wargroove is def sloppy, I had the same dissatisfied feeling after trying a couple of months ago. It's a real shame, I bet the sequel will be good though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's everything I wanted to vocalize about why I couldn't enjoy Wargroove but didn't really have the words for besides "uh, this sucks and I don't enjoy my time with it, despite looking like I would." Every match being slow and attrition based and losing stuff felt like giving yourself 10 more turns just to recover back to same position as before.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/limitedrungames/status/1650961515405537288?s=61&t=cMvnJjwIAvn0Ma-O2uyrvOcq1yc-ohFjuR8-wvpEOXw

I'm one of the few people interested in this collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I actually really enjoyed Wargroove until the final mission was hero units only and just utter garbage.

Broadly I think the hero units were probably the biggest misfire of the game.