Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

MinistryofLard posted:

Aus goons, what day do stores tend to have new releases for sale? Saturdays or Sundays?

It's a Saturday for when they go on pre-order in the UK but that's Sunday local time.

I want to go pick up the seraphon box from the local LGS but don't want to be driving around two days just in case.

I think most shops get their stuff delivered on friday or early saturday and stuff goes live on saturday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/23/sunday-preview-world-eaters-on-patrol-magic-in-the-wyrdhollow-and-warhammer-fest

The Wyrdhollow box for Underworlds goes up for pre-order next weekend.

And next weekend is also WarFest, with both a bunch of reveals happening.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished a Stormcast Vindictor, one of those you can get for free at an LGS, as a test on how to paint Astral Templars for another future project.
Also obviously swapped the head, because I don't like their usual helmets.

Had to strip the body, because the armor got far too dark thanks to a wonky pot of Nuln oil. But went a lot better on the second go.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

A moustache worthy of Sigmar himself :allears:

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Looks great! Always thought the Stormcast look best with muted schemes and not going balls-to-the-wall BRIGHT gold everywhere.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This just reminded me of how pumped I was to start a little hobby World Eater force before I saw the new releases:smith:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
... and their lack of Warp Talons.
:salt:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Which of the death factions has the most "i summon moar undead" stuff? Is it the OBR or the SBEEGEE?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Which of the death factions has the most "i summon moar undead" stuff? Is it the OBR or the SBEEGEE?

Soulblight. There's specifically a subfaction for even more summoning of chaff.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The ravelords have more shenanigans but all of the death factions can do it to some extent. Flesheater Courts can do a real rube goldberg machine of summoning if you want.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I'm pumped for it. Made some progress on my man, Fred last night:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Soulblight. There's specifically a subfaction for even more summoning of chaff.

And how useful is chaff summoning outside of me just liking the ideas of "oops more zombies-ing people. I kind of like the look and sound of OBR. I like the sound of the FEC but their lore is very depressing

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

And how useful is chaff summoning outside of me just liking the ideas of "oops more zombies-ing people. I kind of like the look and sound of OBR. I like the sound of the FEC but their lore is very depressing

OBR (generally) plays like more of an elite army. SBGL is the neverending horde. SBGL is great right now, but there's a few traps... zombies suck. The skeletons can come in a block of 30, and models keep coming back on a 4+ (!) - and on top of that you can keep bringing more of them back to the unit with different spells and leader abilities. They also get rend if they outnumber what they're attacking. The idea is you throw those big blobs on objectives (the army can deepstrike them lol) and then hammer with your characters and spells. Oh yeah, if they ever manage to kill a unit of them you can bring the whole unit back at partial strength.
The more chaff focused subfaction gets a unit of free dire wolves you can summon whenever... free 20 wounds on an objective is nice.
Biggest weakness seems to be getting boxed in and not being able to noodle slap your way out... try to go first.

Buy movement trays.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 25, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Harvey Mantaco posted:

OBR (generally) plays like more of an elite army. SBGL is the neverending horde. SBGL is great right now, but there's a few traps... zombies suck. The skeletons can come in a block of 30, and models keep coming back on a 4+ (!) - and on top of that you can keep bringing more of them back to the unit with different spells and leader abilities. They also get rend if they outnumber what they're attacking. The idea is you throw those big blobs on objectives (the army can deepstrike them lol) and then hammer with your characters and spells. Oh yeah, if they ever manage to kill a unit of them you can bring the whole unit back at partial strength.
The more chaff focused subfaction gets a unit of free dire wolves you can summon whenever... free 20 wounds on an objective is nice.
Biggest weakness seems to be getting boxed in and not being able to noodle slap your way out... try to go first.

Buy movement trays.

Where can i buy movement trays that arent the filthy expensive gw stuff? I need em for my skaven too

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Your chaff is not going to accomplish much on its own but if you have vampires on key positions to actually get your victory plan done, it can be very effective at bogging down your enemy.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mors Rattus posted:

Your chaff is not going to accomplish much on its own but if you have vampires on key positions to actually get your victory plan done, it can be very effective at bogging down your enemy.

So, a lot of heroes I take it? What would you personally add to a SBL army after getting a vanguard?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Where can i buy movement trays that arent the filthy expensive gw stuff? I need em for my skaven too

SigmariteBoutique, if you want to support a goon.
Get a friend with a non-resin printer.
Or even better... just cut up something. I've seen people use cardboard, tin sheets (with cheap magnets on the bottom of their models) or upside down cookie tin lids.

Or you can just be like me and frantically move everything like the octopus mail sorter from the Flintstones.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

So, a lot of heroes I take it? What would you personally add to a SBL army after getting a vanguard?

Vampire on dragon, manfred, radukar the beast all hit really hard (and radukar has an aura that will double your skeletons attacks... making them actually do some work when they have rend). The chamberlain is crazy good now (gives chaff in aura a 5++) and has an ok ranged attack. Not a leader but terrorgheists are 300pt wreckingballs.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 25, 2023

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Double post

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Harvey Mantaco posted:

SigmariteBoutique, if you want to support a goon.
Get a friend with a non-resin printer.
Or even better... just cut up something. I've seen people use cardboard, tin sheets (with cheap magnets on the bottom of their models) or upside down cookie tin lids.

Or you can just be like me and frantically move everything like the octopus mail sorter from the Flintstones.

Vampire on dragon, manfred, radukar the beast all hit really hard (and radukar has an aura that will double your skeletons attacks... making them actually do some work when they have rend). The chamberlain is crazy good now (gives chaff in aura a 5++) and has an ok ranged attack. Not a leader but terrorgheists are 300pt wreckingballs.

Alright, last annoying question:
Can you use the cursed city models, are they worth it if I can get Cursed city for 55% of notmal retail?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Absolutely you can. The "Good" Heroes are in a kinda weird spot, being run as one complete unit in Cities of Sigmar; but basically all the villains and monsters can be run as units in Soulblight. People joked before Cursed City released that it was going their "Start Collecting" boxes for Soulblight, before the whole weirdness with the game happened...

In terms of value for an army, I don't think you'd end up running every HQ included in the box, but you get a decent number of zombies and skeletons and bats. If you like any of the models of the boss characters, it's almost certainly worth picking up that way, because buying those models straight from GW outside of Cursed City is a total rip-off

Desfore fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 25, 2023

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

If we’re going chaff heavy? Another vanguard. More skeletons, more Black Knights. We have a Vampire Lord on foot, so the second is less needed but still useful. The vargheists live on your shelf. After that, I’d be looking at a mounted Wight King or Wight King on foot to corral the chaff depending on if you prefer Black Knoghts or Grave Guard, a VLoZD or Mannfred as a big hammer, and a Necromancer.

E: oh and one unit of zombie wolves as an objective grabber.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You can, but they're not worth the cost in $ or points. Especially if you're just starting the faction.

Edit: the court that is, the normal units that come with it are good, especially if you can get for ~$100

If you haven't picked the vanguard yet check tos ee if your local store still has. Revenant Legion lying around. More expensive, around $200, but it's a better discount on what you'll get.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You can, but they're not worth the cost in $ or points. Especially if you're just starting the faction.

Edit: the court that is, the normal units that come with it are good, especially if you can get for ~$100

If you haven't picked the vanguard yet check tos ee if your local store still has. Revenant Legion lying around. More expensive, around $200, but it's a better discount on what you'll get.

D: Sadly its latest kits only in a tiny shelf compared t0 40k's two walls. The Blood Bowl situation is even worse lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

FEC used to be a great summoning army (RIP Ghoul Patrol you were too good for this world)

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm pumped for it. Made some progress on my man, Fred last night:

Loving this paint job, bright hammer best hammer

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Aww heck I got the date wrong and missed the Seraphon Army Set preorder. Maybe I can find an LGS that over ordered. Or get reamed on Ebay, alas

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Blacktalon does have some neat concept art but if they want my subscription I need more episodes
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/26/the-making-of-blacktalon-how-the-mortal-realms-were-brought-to-life-for-warhammer

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Anybody have any favorite tutorials for piloting big monsters around the table? I'm still wrestling with my SCE dragon and the related decision making.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Aww heck I got the date wrong and missed the Seraphon Army Set preorder. Maybe I can find an LGS that over ordered. Or get reamed on Ebay, alas

I ordered one for 178 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3746472259...epid=4059972446

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Hey, that's not bad. Thanks! :discourse:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Hey, that's not bad. Thanks! :discourse:

Yeah, it is wild that GW sold out of it near instantly, but I saw numerous eBay shops that hold sold hundreds of copies each. I mean, this way I am saving money, but the distribution system just seems odd.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They have to buy them off GW so I guess they don't care as long as they get the money first. :v:

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, it is wild that GW sold out of it near instantly, but I saw numerous eBay shops that hold sold hundreds of copies each. I mean, this way I am saving money, but the distribution system just seems odd.

They might also be localised to weird spots - the LGSes in my small Australian city (sub 500,000 people) typically have a few GW battleforce sets on shelf for a while. They might be eBay shopfronts of LGSes in regional Australia or something that can't sell overseas via their website but can do it over eBay.

Alternatively they're just lying about having it in stock and will sort out getting you a copy after they have your money and refund you if you complain.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

They made a metric gently caress of them. I was totally expecting them to be allocated hard, like most of the recent big releases have been but you could get as many as you wanted.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/warhammer/status/1651541888384606208

Time to kill-slay yes?
Helps to read the text itself. :v:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 27, 2023

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Those are the symbols of Shyish (Death) and Ghyran (life). Who knows that that means.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
I think this is a TOW post.

Waaaaagh!! magic (both big and little) exists beyond the traditional winds of magic in the WHFB setting. Instead, Orc Waaaaagh!! magic is more shamanistic and is channeled directly from the gods Mork and Gork. The art in the tweet is actually a great way of visualizing that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's an everything post. Magic runes from Fantasy over a star map from 40k. The red cloud is the warp rift that opened at the start of 8th.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Finally, the AOS vs 40k smash up game we all wanted (?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Buy movement trays.

What's the best way to avoid deep striking mobs of 60 zombies I'm tired of getting stuck in tar pits!