Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should get the next welterweight title shot?
This poll is closed.
Colby Covington 2 3.51%
Belal Muhammad 17 29.82%
Shavkat Rakhmonov 3 5.26%
Matt Serra 26 45.61%
Marius Zaromskis 4 7.02%
Ben Quadrinaros 5 8.77%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Coleman has turned his life around. Got a new hip, got sober, and now he's going to piss it all away for an expired Cracker Barrel gift card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Digital Jedi posted:

Just a reminder that this is happening Saturday

Rockhold has a size advantage, for sure, but also got put out by mike bisping. I can see Perry sending Luke to the phantom zone.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Apparently it's at 175? Big cut for Rockhold.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lid posted:

The saddest news possible

Tim Sylvia's next slap fight is against Mark Coleman.

I wish I was lying.

Can't wait for a whole league of obese white guys who struggle forming sentences because they think education is "pussy poo poo" hitting each other with unprotected sports to be hailed as the greatest sporting event in US history.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Just a reminder that this is happening Saturday

BKFC41 also feat. Ben Rothwell

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Foul Fowl posted:

and no one seems to like it. even UFC fans who are the dumbest people on the planet don't like it. everyone is saying it sucks. and this is what brings dust-necked mark coleman out of retirement. blurgh.

I’ve said this before but slap fighting got big because clips of it with no context went viral. But every time you add a layer of context it just gets worse. Now that we have former pro athletes doing it because they need the tiny amount of money that comes from the purse we’re barely above just having homeless people fight for food as far as soul crushingness goes,

Mr. Nice! posted:

Rockhold has a size advantage, for sure, but also got put out by mike bisping. I can see Perry sending Luke to the phantom zone.

Wasn’t rockhold’s whole thing that he completely lost his chin at the end of his career? Seems like he would be especially poorly suited to boxing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

blue footed boobie posted:

Wasn’t rockhold’s whole thing that he completely lost his chin at the end of his career? Seems like he would be especially poorly suited to boxing.

Eh...maybe? I mean he got knocked out by (2013)Vitor, Bisping, Romero and Blachowicz, those guys could really knock out anyone. He survived 3 rounds with Costa more recently and while he seemed exhausted, chin seemed fine. Mike Perry is a tiny man compared to the list of folks who knocked Rockhold out so I don't really think he's gonna have much trouble on that front, cardio might still be poo poo though, but maybe not since, you know, no USADA.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
You’re right. I was thinking of Weidman.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

It definitely seemed like Rockhold's chin was deteriorating. Bisping never really knocked anyone else out in his 10-year UFC career in my memory, and up until the Rockhold fight all Jan did in the UFC was throw body kicks and wrestlefuck. It looked real bad for Luke that Jan knocked him out, but then we all learned about Polish Power

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Brut posted:

Bisping ... could really knock out anyone.

please dont troll

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

c'mon, he blasted jorge rivera into the fourth row!

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Hey, everybody. It's time for another MMA thread communal feedback session. Slap fighting! The way we talk about it is a recurring problem we gotta solve.

There are two undeniable truths:
  • Slap fighting loving sucks and is a boil on the rear end of humanity that shouldn't be brought up alongside combat sports
  • Slap fighting is an active business being promoted on MMA broadcasts by the biggest combat sports company on the planet
I dislike talking about slap fighting. But I also dislike talking about which alt-right propaganda video platforms the UFC is supporting and which famous mixed martial arts fighters murdered their partners last month, and those things are, unfortunately, relevant to the sport. I'm quietly hoping the incredible failure of the first season of Power Slap means we're already through the bubble and it's going to fade the gently caress away, but Dana seems to have made it a personal mission to throw money into the incinerator to prove that everyone else is wrong and he is a fight genius.

That means we might be stuck with slap fighting being connected to the sport for awhile. And that means we gotta figure out how to deal with it and the various feelings about how we handle it.

I know there is a contingent that would like to make discussion of slap fighting verboten altogether. I get it, and it's an option, but I personally disagree with it because, as said, the UFC has made slap fighting a personal corporate mission and it's ignoring an unfortunately present part of the corporate reality of MMA to not talk about it. There's also a sub-argument about if we talk about it only when it's explicitly connected to the UFC, but I think that one's also difficult to expect out of people, because in a thread where we all acknowledge MMA is hard enough to keep track of that we don't always know who has or hasn't even fought in the UFC before I don't know how realistically we can expect people to know what is or isn't the UFC-branded slap fighting extravaganza.

So, realistically, I think we have four options.

1: Just Post. It is what it is, if you don't like it don't talk about it, start a new conversation so we move on. This is obviously how I've been treating it until now, but it bums some folks out and makes them want to post less, which kind of takes the point out of this being a community and I don't want that.

2: No. No slap fighting stuff in PSP under any circumstances. The problem comes up too often and we don't want any part of it whatsoever.

3: Don't Show Me That poo poo. We accept slap discussion is unfortunately part of the MMA world, but no more video clips of poor idiots getting CTE slapped into them for the cost of a sandwich. Some people have gone out of their way to block that poo poo out and don't want to see it in the MMA thread, and that's not invalid.

4: Quarantine Zone. Slap stuff is banned from the thread altogether and we start a lifeboat thread that people can do whatever they want with. This solves the problem in this thread, but it has the con of, well, we have a thread devoted to slapfighting in the subforum now, and boy, that sucks.

Obviously if people have other ideas those are welcome, but I think this encapsulates the things people have brought up here in the thread, and over on the discord, and in private to me over the last half year we've been graced by loving slap fighting becoming a part of the collective combat sports consciousness.

I'm personally a proponent of keeping discussion but banning clips. I think it's still too unfortunately tied to the sport to ignore in our thread about the sport, but while I am maybe too grossly desensitized to care personally, enough people have talked about how much they hate opening the thread and seeing slap fighting when they try to otherwise ignore it that I think asking not to have it jump out at them when they come to see what's up with Kyoji Horiguchi is a reasonable measure.

But I would rather we try to have a communal consensus on this rather than me or Brut just saying This Is What We're Doing. So: What does everyone want to do with Dana White's personal attempt to make all of our lives worse?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3 with 4 being a likely result

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
5. we ONLY talk about slap fighting

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Bluedeanie posted:

please dont troll
Hahaha I was just thinking basically every "striker" at 185+ has knockout power but like, yeah, you're right, my bad.
As far as I'm concerned 3 and 4 are the same option and if there are people who want to make a slapfighting thread I'm not gonna stop them but that's their own reputation on the line :shrug:, I don't think it belongs ITT other than the very specific stuff like "look at how much the UFC's official channels are promoting this dumb poo poo".

I also want to say though that "I hate slapfighting therefore I'm gonna post even more slapfighting in protest" is approaching being as weird as earnestly liking it, especially if you're doing that poo poo in completely unrelated threads where people don't even understand what the gently caress you're doing, so please don't do that.(be nice to our guests :colbert:)

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

if we're doing ranked choice I'm going

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

3, would also be okay with NSF Human Dignity warnings + spoiler tag if the video is actually relevant for MMA

The one good thing about slap fighting is that it shows how no one else likes Dana White's Platonic ideal of a combat sport, that it isn't nameless senseless violence and KOs that get people excited. Meaningful storylines and all the different dynamics a fight can have, the poo poo he doesn't want, are what makes it all compelling to everyone else.

There's a thing where penguins will hump a rock to completion if you paint it black and white, completely surrendering to animal instinct, and he reminds me of that. What I'm trying to say is Dana White is a bald penguin getting his rocks off on his most basic primal urges and he thinks everyone else is too.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
3 seems like the best option to me.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think the best option is to relentlessly mock anyone who posts clips of slap fighting to gawk at and allow people to post about how much it sucks. So I guess I'm a 1 or a 3.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I would assume that the posters itt are adult humans who can decide whether they want to press play on a video or participate in a discussion, but who knows.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i hate it but i don't think it should be disallowed. someone posted nate diaz choking out some civilian, there was that video of the guy getting his arm broke while unconscious, etc. etc. so i say allowed but at the poster's own peril of being called a massive rear end in a top hat if it's irrelevant or gross. i think this thread is one of the best in SA at self policing. Just Post and let God Sort 'Em Out

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
We just had a watch session in the thread for an uncontracted fighter choking a guy out and dropping him on a kerb without a great rending of garments. Just people agreeing it was stupid thuggery and moving on. If that's ok then I can't see why an actual organised and promoted event is off the table when it involves known fighters and is associated with the peak body of MMA.

Slapping sucks and I don't watch it but it's about as newsworthy as bkfc.

Voting 1

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lid posted:

The saddest news possible

Tim Sylvia's next slap fight is against Mark Coleman.

I wish I was lying.

gently caress it. Let's take this to it's logical conclusion and start a headbutt only league. What's Mark Kerr up to these days?

CarlCX posted:

Hey, everybody. It's time for another MMA thread communal feedback session. Slap fighting! The way we talk about it is a recurring problem we gotta solve.

None of the above? I'd like to see a freakshow fight thread for all the weird rogue bullshit that's out there these days like StreetBeefs and Rough and Rowdy and whatever the gently caress Fight Circus pulls out of their asses.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 25, 2023

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Gramps posted:

gently caress it. Let's take this to it's logical conclusion and start a headbutt only league. What's Mark Kerr up to these days?

None of the above? I'd like to see a freakshow fight thread for all the weird rogue bullshit that's out there these days like StreetBeefs and Rough and Rowdy and whatever the gently caress Fight Circus pulls out of their asses.

Fight circus is more ethical than UFC tho, I doubt I will ever get to see Dana White dropped with liver shots by rampage but John Nut died for our sins

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Rockhold hasn't been KO'd that we know of since 2019. While his chin wasn't what it quite was, taking a long layoff before fighting Costa seemed to help he's also 39 this year. Mike perry is crazy as hell and could put him out but he's not exactly smart in how he does... life.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

1. :justpost: we're all grown ups here and we hang out every single day and I want to hear your takes and discussion and if your not posting you should be

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

And I like hearing you all talk mad poo poo about things you don't like, it's fun and funny

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Slap fighting loving sucks but it's around and its ties to the ufc/Dana White bullshit are there.

Voting 1 for the thread and the poll

Wait is there an actual poll? I'm on mobile

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Can we just pretend slap fighting doesn't exist in this thread? I don't care about the rest of PSP.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

1 or 3 is good with me

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

3, would also be okay with NSF Human Dignity warnings + spoiler tag if the video is actually relevant for MMA
Gating behind spoilers etc would allow anyone who wants to avoid the video (me) to avoid the video, while allowing some discussion of something that is unfortunately relevant to the fake dumb carny sport of human cockfighting.

Gumball Gumption posted:

So I guess I'm a 1 or a 3.
Don't be so hard on yourself.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

ilmucche posted:

Wait is there an actual poll? I'm on mobile

Attaching image of the current poll of this thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I consider this the MMA thread, not 'what the UFC is doing this week' thread. So the fact that the company itself cares about slap fighting doesn't really have much weight with me or make me want to know about that side of it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Brut posted:

Attaching image of the current poll of this thread.

Logging in tomorrow to vote for marius

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
I'd say 1 or 3 is fine, especially since there doesn't seem to be anyone here who actually likes white power slap (other than maybe that one guy out of sheer spite) and condemning and gawking at something we all hate together can be therapeutic.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i don't know if i started all this by saying it made me sick to watch somebody ko someone that can't defend themselves, but i saw that post, and pressed play of my own volition. i'm an adult. allegedly.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

ilmucche posted:

Logging in tomorrow to vote for marius

When he was on that headkick spree I was like hmm, is this man perhaps the greatest fighter in the world? Ignoring his multiple stoppage losses to Che Mills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
0everyone agrees sucker punches are coward poo poo and they made it a sport lol