Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well the russian invasion had some positives at least in that it made people aware of how much power they where wasting, we slashed 3800 kWh off our yearly electricity usage through a variety of means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MightyBigMinus posted:

so the person who says "we need to completely replace all ICE cars with EVs at a bare minimum" and the person who says "that'll barely matter" are both right.

Transport also involves extraction, refinement, transportation of fuel, etc. It's probably a little higher than 11%. If anything, I'm more interested in how the hell you electrify heavy machinery like diesel dump trucks, snowplows, backhoes, bulldozers, etc. That is going to be incredibly difficult.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Transport also involves extraction, refinement, transportation of fuel, etc. It's probably a little higher than 11%. If anything, I'm more interested in how the hell you electrify heavy machinery like diesel dump trucks, snowplows, backhoes, bulldozers, etc. That is going to be incredibly difficult.

There are going to be some sectors that are difficult like that or aviation but a) they're relatively small and b) can be switched to synthetic fuels once we get to that point.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If it's operating either within a city or on a farm where the route is predictable, relatively easily using overhead lines.

Some buses are already powered by overhead lines like electric trolleys used to be. Even some heavy mining trucks are being used in this way.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Adenoid Dan posted:

If it's operating either within a city or on a farm where the route is predictable, relatively easily using overhead lines.

Some buses are already powered by overhead lines like electric trolleys used to be. Even some heavy mining trucks are being used in this way.

This is super interesting... do you have a link to this?

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If anything, I'm more interested in how the hell you electrify heavy machinery like diesel dump trucks, snowplows, backhoes, bulldozers, etc. That is going to be incredibly difficult.
the ceo of Cummins has already bet the company's future on hydrogen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4OAiyAEGus

so has the management of JCB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxtxZY45RMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRXT3832YBI

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

also Maersk just bought its first methanol powered container ship

https://www.offshore-energy.biz/milestone-maersk-launches-methanol-powered-feeder-in-bold-move-toward-carbon-neutrality/

quote:

The vessel is at the core of Maersk’s decarbonization strategy as the company sets sights on becoming net-zero by 2040.

The ship, with a capacity of around 2,000 TEU, was ordered back in 2021. While the vessel will be able to operate on standard VLSFO, the plan is to operate it on carbon-neutral e-methanol or sustainable bio-methanol from day one.

Both of the vessel’s main and auxiliary engines can operate on green methanol.

MAN Energy Solutions and Hyundai Engine and Machinery, in collaboration with Hyundai Mipo and Maersk, developed the methanol propulsion configuration for the vessel. The main engine was supplied by Hyundai Engine and Machinery, while the auxiliary engine was supplied by Himsen.

The vessel will be classed by the American Bureau of Shipping.

Maersk disclosed earlier that the feeder will be 172 meters long and will sail in the network of Sealand Europe, a Maersk subsidiary, on the Baltic shipping route between Northern Europe and the Bay of Bothnia.

In addition, Maersk has partnered with REintegrate, a subsidiary of the Danish renewable energy company European Energy, to produce green fuel for its first methanol-powered containership.

Namely, the renewable energy company is building the facility and aims to produce approximately 10,000 tonnes of e-methanol for Maersk’s carbon-neutral vessel.

The feeder will be followed by 18 large ocean-going vessels of 16,000-17,200 TEU capacity which are scheduled for delivery in 2024 and 2025

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Isn't energy use in buildings higher?

This is why electrification of the building sector is being looked at by a lot of people right now, including cap and invest for building emissions from fossil fuels, and replacement with heat pumps. As we have energy standards that increase the percentage of non-fossil energy generation you'll see a decline in building emissions.

It will be a challenge for grids because in cold climates they will probably shift from summer peaking to winter peaking, and with a lot of environmental efforts carries a huge issue of equity since retrofit to heat pumps isn't cheap, but luckily the IRA has some pretty big incentives for heat pumps.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This is super interesting... do you have a link to this?

Just look up trolly assisted haul/dump trucks. Been around for a very long time, South Africa used them a lot historically. Generally requires very large, deep mines that don't have cut-backs in the plan and are near grid power. In-pit crushing and (high angle) conveying is another method for electrifying the haulage but for most pits, electrification doesn't justify the huge capital costs relative to truck haulage.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That is some freaking insanely cool stuff and I could see hydrogen working for heavy machinery but goddamn I wonder how they make it all work. It's not going to be an easy problem to solve and I can't image it'll be cheap.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

MightyBigMinus posted:

the ceo of Cummins has already bet the company's future on hydrogen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4OAiyAEGus

so has the management of JCB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxtxZY45RMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRXT3832YBI

Why not just run the diesels on Natural Gas, since 95% of the hydrogen being used to fuel vehicles is coming from fracked methane.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Adenoid Dan posted:

And replacing all cars with public transit was never even suggested in this thread. Obviously that is not going to happen. It is totally reasonable to prioritize the lowest hanging fruit instead of telling people they can buy their way out of climate change.

We know that people who feel like they are doing some small positive thing will overestimate the effect of that positive, and often overcompensate in the other direction.

Emphasizing electric cars isn't a first step that leads to public transportation, it makes it less likely! That's why I said it's misdirection.

I have read that eBikes have made a greater contribution to carbon reduction that electric cars.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Zeta Taskforce posted:

All the wishing that people should be walking, biking, taking public transportation everywhere is well meaning, the fact is that the with the places that people already live, the places they work and the infrastructure that connects places that people need to get to means that mass adoption of EVs is about the only thing that can happen on a time scale that matters.

I beg you to spend some time in Europe

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Vitamin Me posted:

Or Japan. Or even NYC.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think you're missing this part of the post:

quote:

with the places that people already live, the places they work and the infrastructure that connects places that people need to get to

Suburban sprawl is certainly a horror show but you're not turning it all into walkable 15-mintue cities that would be required without a magic wand.

E: It'll be a high mountain to climb though because apparently "you're a negligent parent if you don't drive you children to soccer practice in your SUV" is a popular sentiment

:lmao:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 24, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Vitamin Me posted:

I would beg everyone here to simply look at the political and legal challenge required to transform any city to be largely walkable. Even outside North America.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I think you're missing this part of the post:

Suburban sprawl is certainly a horror show but you're not turning it all into walkable 15-mintue cities that would be required without a magic wand.

E: It'll be a high mountain to climb though because apparently "you're a negligent parent if you don't drive you children to soccer practice in your SUV" is a popular sentiment

:lmao:

Meanwhile at schools around me (San Diego county):

Of course we now have "Heck's Angels" and all the Karen's bitching on NextDoor about those darn kids on eBikes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

San Diego has a year round perfect climate, a good economy and an effective local government. I'm not surprised they've got ebikes.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I think there was a pretty successful experiment that gave away free ebikes to people who wanted them, but I don't remember the details.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I might be in the minority and there certainly some risk but I think the rentable scooters in DTLA through Bird, Lyft and Uber are fantastic. They even have separate bike/scooter lanes in some parts.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I might be in the minority and there certainly some risk but I think the rentable scooters in DTLA through Bird, Lyft and Uber are fantastic. They even have separate bike/scooter lanes in some parts.
I think those were mostly found to replace walking and public transport trips. Free bike share for everyone with separate bike lanes would be great though.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

VideoGameVet posted:

Why not just run the diesels on Natural Gas, since 95% of the hydrogen being used to fuel vehicles is coming from fracked methane.

literally arguing for fossil fuels rather than learning something

try watching the videos, you may be SHOCKED to find out you're not the only person that considered that

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

literally arguing for fossil fuels rather than learning something

try watching the videos, you may be SHOCKED to find out you're not the only person that considered that

My point is, if you're using hydrogen to run a vehicle, you're actually consuming natural gas. It's greenwashing.

If they can run mining trucks with batteries, I don't see why you would run something less efficient without regen.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Is hydrogen better then biofuel?

All the buses in my town are now biofuel. EV buses still have issues as they need to run all day. And while I'm sure it's better than diesel/petrol I've not actually looked into how much better.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

There's an issue with hydrogen generated from fossil fuels however it can be generated from renewables sources.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

VideoGameVet posted:

My point is, if you're using hydrogen to run a vehicle, you're actually consuming natural gas. It's greenwashing.

your point is dumb and wrong, which again, if you'd bother to click play on a short youtube you might learn something.

this is a really great encapsulation of the meta/social aspect of the problem though. people want to be poo poo talking know it all contrarians 10x more than they want to know what they're actually talking about. even when someones gone out of their way to give detailed presentations, film them, edit them, present them to you via easy distribution, and make it so that all you have to do to is stop whining for a few minutes and learn something... nah gently caress that POST SPIT TAKE FEEL GOOD.

like you don't need to go do research, you don't need to evaluate supply chains of private companies, you don't need to read academic papers or government reports. you just need to turn down your shithead new-information-deflection-shield and let the new information come to you.

MightyBigMinus fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 25, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/RARohde/status/1650648421458477061?t=lvACBLq8LndBOCVhbm0tYg&s=19

Jump in. The waters fine

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Be sure to wear your head-to-toe wetsuit to guard yourself from the trillions of jellyfish, though.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
You posted 95 minutes of YouTube videos. I watch most things on 2x speed so 45 minutes. Most people do not have 45 minutes to read a single techno optimist post.

Building a few demonstration vehicles and talking about how their future is renewable based on that is pretty much the definition of greenwashing.

The vast majority of hydrogen comes from fossil sources, and when it is coming from electrolysis it requires large amounts of energy, which for now are not mostly coming from renewable sources. It is greenwashing.

Edit: typo

Edit 2: here is a 20 min video from a science YouTuber on hydrogen vehicles, if anyone is interested in a short overview of the issues with the technology.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 25, 2023

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

yes the stanford precourt institute and the chairman and ceo of cummins on one hand and nordvpn sponsored content on the other, hmmmm

for anyone who is rightly curious but also reasonably does not care enough to watch the vids, the short answer is simple: the electrolyzer market was already growing dramatically, mostly via chinese state investment (just like with solar) and EU incentive packages (just like with wind), and then bidens IRA came along and dumped a fucktruck load of money into it, so now the electrolyzer market is exploding.

china is mostly betting on older alkaline tech, us and eu companies are betting on mostly PEM tech. billions of dollars are already trading hands, a multi-billion dollar market for green hydrogen already exists. I cannot stress this is enough, this is not a hypothetical "we should" argument, this is a "hey guys you're obsessed with 5 - 10 year old opinions, look whats ALREADY HAPPENING" argument.

arguing that historically most hydrogen has come from steam reforming natural gas, therefore hydrogen trucks are no better, is literally the same stupid argument as arguing that historically most electricity has come from coal and therefore EVs are no better. it should get you run out of this thread for being a dumbass.

ehydrogen or green hydrogen is currently costing about $5/kg. at $1/kg it is cost competitive with diesel (for trucking). the learning rate on electrolyzers puts that in the ~$3-4 range by the end of the decade. the IRA (and similar EU programs) are subsidizing it $3/kg. essentially the three major world governments (china/us/eu) have ALREADY decided they're just gonna loving pay for it for green hydrogen to win. capital is flooding into the electrolyzer manufacturing market.

you may still hate it and argue that it is an ethanol/biodisel like folly, but just like those did, this is happening. the very least you can be assed to do is to update your opinions to the current context of reality, rather than just bitching about 5 - 10 year old poo poo.

MightyBigMinus fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 25, 2023

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Oh no a physicist who makes YouTube videos got sponsored by an unrelated product!

Let's not look into anyone else's funding, I bet there are no competing interests.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Adenoid Dan posted:

You posted 95 minutes of YouTube videos. I watch most things on 2x speed so 45 minutes. Most people do not have 45 minutes to read a single techno optimist post.

Building a few demonstration vehicles and talking about how their future is renewable based on that is pretty much the definition of greenwashing.

The vast majority of hydrogen comes from fossil sources, and when it is coming from electrolysis it requires large amounts of energy, which for now are not mostly coming from renewable sources. It is greenwashing.

Edit: typo

Edit 2: here is a 20 min video from a science YouTuber on hydrogen vehicles, if anyone is interested in a short overview of the issues with the technology.

No one sane is arguing that hydrogen will be used in passenger transportation. That is a strawman. It will be used in industries that are difficult to decarbonize like heavy machinery. It is true some hydrogen is produced via fossil fuel however some of it produced by offshore wind Europe. It's not like it can't be produced from other things either and it can be less carbon intensive that actual diesel fuel. All of the these technologies are also in their infancy, largely experimental and are far from complete.

The idea that the proposal from John Deere, Caterpillar, etc. aren't serious but greenwashing needs some serious backup. As someone who's worked in the energy industry for years a tertiary capacity as an IT Consultant it is completely false that these projects are just smoke and mirrors. Electric vehicles are displacing millions of gasoline everyday. Chemical engineers are spending years researching lightweight plastics since batteries way so goddamn much along with new cooling fluids. It is very real. I don't know if it'll work out but it is not at all fake.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Adenoid Dan posted:

Let's not look into anyone else's funding, I bet there are no competing interests.
the funding is coming from the inflation reduction act... there's no conspiracy here old man

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't say it was fake,and I didn't suggest anyone was claiming it would replace fossil fuels in personal vehicles, I said it was greenwashing. A few demonstration engines don't counter the demonstrable fact that most hydrogen, 95%, is fossil sourced, and if you don't see the interest that an engine manufacturer has in convincing people that they will be carbon neutral any day now, then I don't know what to tell you.

Edit: his funding is his employer.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 25, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I just don't get the point of hydrogen. The limiting factor with electric vehicles is energy density, but hydrogen is so much worse for that. You can compress it (very low energy density), liquefy it (expensive and bleeds off), or storage with hydrides (still not great energy density, more mass from non-fuel hydrides, etc).

vvv :ok:

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 25, 2023

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

cat botherer posted:

I just don't get the point of hydrogen. The limiting factor with electric vehicles is energy density, but hydrogen is so much worse for that. You can compress it (very low energy density), liquefy it (expensive and bleeds off), or storage with hydrides (still not great energy density, more mass from non-fuel hydrides, etc).

no one is talking about your car american. we have made it explicitly clear in all the posts and all the vidoes we're not talking about your car. please for the love of god stop talking about your car american.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Adenoid Dan posted:

I didn't say it was fake,and I didn't suggest anyone was claiming it would replace fossil fuels in personal vehicles, I said it was greenwashing. A few demonstration engines don't counter the demonstrable fact that most hydrogen, 95%, is fossil sourced, and if you don't see the interest that an engine manufacturer has in convincing people that they will be carbon neutral any day now, then I don't know what to tell you.

Edit: his funding is his employer.

And what is greenwashing exactly?

There are ways to get hydrogen from renewables or less intensive sources of carbon. You are making perfect the enemy of good.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

And what is greenwashing exactly?

There are ways to get hydrogen from renewables or less intensive sources of carbon. You are making perfect the enemy of good.

Greenwashing is doing PR and making small investments that make people think your company is greener than it is. For example, going to a fossil fuel funded institute to talk about how the engines you make will be hydrogen powered by 2050

But I've got some great news about Shell's green energy initiatives!

Edit: I am fine with making shell the enemy of the good, because they are

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 25, 2023

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Adenoid Dan posted:

Greenwashing is doing PR and making small investments that make people think your company is greener than it is. For example, going to a fossil fuel funded institute to talk about how the engines you make will be hydrogen powered by 2050

But I've got some great news about Shell's green energy initiatives!

Edit: I am fine with making shell the enemy of the good, because they are

I suppose they could wait to make hydrogen vehicles until the hydrogen sector has been transitioned to green sources but it's not obvious how that would be beneficial. Surely getting the technology developed and in place so there's a demand for green hydrogen is better than just burning diesel until some arbitrary threshold where a sufficient amount of hydrogen is green to no longer qualify as greenwashing.

The European Commission has proposed to produce 10 million tonnes of renewable hydrogen by 2030 and to import 10 million tonnes by 2030.. Australia also keeps talking about becoming a hydrogen exporter and Saudi Arabia is actively positioning for it.

To what extend green hydrogen will be used is an open question. We will absolutely need it for some things but how low the price will eventually go and its eventual limitations is still opaque. It's an entire industry and supply chain that is being bootstrapped right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

MightyBigMinus posted:

no one is talking about your car american. we have made it explicitly clear in all the posts and all the vidoes we're not talking about your car. please for the love of god stop talking about your car american.
Chill out, I hate cars more than anyone if you've read anything I posted. I intended lumping to lump all kinds of ambulatory things that are not connected to power in the term "vehicle." The fundamental problem of energy density is the same in all such situations, it's not a unique problem to cars. Do you have an answer for that or are you just going to freak out and call me a "car american"?

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 25, 2023