Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

Almost all hats look dumb

Berets are egregious tho. They look floppy, annoying and useless

The military is basically a silly hat club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/TaiwanNews886/status/1650730102697897984

is this what they mean by Taiwan is going to be the next Ukraine

so called “leftists” not recognizing that the black sun is an ancient sacred symbol to the equally ancient Taiwanese nation. the real fascists are the CCP.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

I actually found the pentagon wars to be pretty dumb. Nobody says the BMP is a bad design because it has a gun and atgm on it lmao, its kind of a key feature of an ifv!

Then the idea that the enemy is more likely to target the Bradley because it "looks like a tank", as if the soviets would just kindly let M113s go? Wtf lol

The issue wasn’t just a turret but a tall one, and then had ATGMs that had to be reloaded manually on the side of it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

The issue wasn’t just a turret but a tall one, and then had ATGMs that had to be reloaded manually on the side of it.

That isnt what they bring up in The Pentagon Wars, where they repeatedly harp on "It Looks Like A Tank" over and over again

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

True story, the reason it diminished in the Second World War was, I suppose one part, the shift away from German stereoscopic rangefinders to radar, but also (imo chiefly) because the cost of hiring artists to design paint schemes and the labour cost of applying them was high.

And instead we have an ugly rusty navy. smh

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

this will win hearts and minds in europe

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

OctaMurk posted:

That isnt what they bring up in The Pentagon Wars, where they repeatedly harp on "It Looks Like A Tank" over and over again

Splitting the infantry section across vehicles is harder to communicate as a joke in a movie

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

Tanks have large turrets, a BMP doesn’t.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

excited for liberals to learn about Taiwan.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

euphronius posted:

look on the bright side: they'll stop talking about Ukraine

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the sun wheel is an ancient Taiwanese symbol.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

hearing reports that Juan Guaido is traveling to Taiwan

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
reminds me how in 2019 some azov guys went to hong kong to support the protests

https://sputnikglobe.com/20191202/why-are-ukrainian-neo-nazis-joining-the-hong-kong-protests-1077466396.html

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

euphronius posted:

easy: it’s an ancient culture completely distinct from that of the mainland, fully independent, and a honored part of the global west. The imperialistic China, who wishes to genocide them, threatens their long-enjoyed freedom. Glory to the heroes.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The Taiwanese culture has been American since ancient times

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

I actually found the pentagon wars to be pretty dumb. Nobody says the BMP is a bad design because it has a gun and atgm on it lmao, its kind of a key feature of an ifv!

Then the idea that the enemy is more likely to target the Bradley because it "looks like a tank", as if the soviets would just kindly let M113s go? Wtf lol

tbf whenever I see bradleys in Regiments I make sure to make them priority targets for artillery and tanks to wreck them entirely before they can get into a position to start launching tows at everything. Because gently caress bradleys.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
the Bradley happened because everyone panicked about the BMP

it's tiny low pressure gun could kill tanks and that was cheating. Then the west was all 'how can we make this expensive'.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

The Taiwanese culture has been American since ancient times

The America project is actually thousands of years old and originated in Taiwan!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

DancingShade posted:

Silence is violence! :byodood:

Ergo not vocally and loudly agreeing with the USA is the same as committing acts of aggression towards the USA.

So let me get this straight... I can just sit here and do nothing but play video games and crank it, and I'm actually committing honest to Christ acts of aggression against the USA?

Kick rear end!!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Best Friends posted:

easy: it’s an ancient culture completely distinct from that of the mainland, fully independent, and a honored part of the global west. The imperialistic China, who wishes to genocide them, threatens their long-enjoyed freedom. Glory to the heroes.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

bedpan posted:

hearing reports that Juan Guaido is traveling to Taiwan

taijuan guaido

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

gradenko_2000 posted:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
200k taiwanese fought for japan during ww2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_Imperial_Japan_Serviceman

The stories just write themselves.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

e: I should probably sit down and write something about the Shell Crisis of 1915.
would read

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

Lots of political grandpas

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

they hsould fly the local flavor imo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

a wewelsburg-themed birthday party :wow:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

cool flag

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Throatwarbler posted:

lol what are the odds they actually do this?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Splitting the infantry section across vehicles is harder to communicate as a joke in a movie

"So? Just make a couple more trips!"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

:dafuq:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Godlessdonut posted:

"So? Just make a couple more trips!"

I'm so loving confused about how this is supposed to work. I have no idea why just making Bradley sections "whoever fits in the vehicle" wasn't the first and only solution.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm so loving confused about how this is supposed to work. I have no idea why just making Bradley sections "whoever fits in the vehicle" wasn't the first and only solution.

where would the spare tow missiles go

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

More like Badley Armored Fighting Vehicle

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

You need minimum sized squads to cram as many heavy weapons as possible into the force org chart.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

was digital camo ever found to be actually good? I've only ever criticism of it that "nature doesn't look like that" or something similar, which intuitively means it's really effective at camouflaging people, but I don't know if that's simply a knee-jerk, "common sense" reaction

The is definitely no advantage whatsoever to base it around a regular square grid of pixels. That is pure CoD technobranding

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
just give every soldier a radio that connects directly to a strike fighter that is attached to him and only him. When he see's an enemy he calls in the strike fighter and they drop a 2000lb bomb and whatever, a single guy, a bus, a hospital. He doesn't even need a gun. Everyman a forward air controller.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

fanfic insert posted:

Swedish state broadcaster has been going crazy about identifying spying operations, posting their own "investigations" about Chinese owned companies insinuating they share technologies with china, eventually turning over lists to security police and them going "hmm yes troubling indeed". Like the article was insinuating the leadership of loving Volvo was in cahoots and responding to some insidious party member indoctrination board, with the whole thing being that Chinese national security law that brought the Alibaba group into compliance with regulations. But because it uses language that can be translated insidiously it means The Party has agents everywhere and you cannot tell apart private and government ownership etc etc. It'd be hilarious in its deragement if it wasn't so maddening.

The point is that the leadership at SVT is all upperclass with a literal married-into nobility editor reporting to SÄPO in which the top brass is literal married-into nobility.

They did the same with a suspected Russian spy list which i assume is just a printed list of employees at the embassy which has always been 20/80 diplomats/"diplomats".

The background radiation of political sinophobia in Sweden can be insane, lots of people thinking it's obvious common sense that it's the reincarnation of Nazi Germany that must be opposed at every turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

was digital camo ever found to be actually good? I've only ever criticism of it that "nature doesn't look like that" or something similar, which intuitively means it's really effective at camouflaging people, but I don't know if that's simply a knee-jerk, "common sense" reaction

Digital isnt the issue, the problem is the US coloring for theirs loving sucked. ACUs were terrible, they faded extremely quickly, they stained very easily, they didnt fit in anywhere that wasnt a grey hellscape.

The new OCPs were much better