Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Diva Cupcake posted:

He doesn't turn 40 until December. This season would still have little bearing on that.

e: Jets are expecting Rodgers as a participant in the voluntary part of the offseason.
https://twitter.com/BoyGreen25/status/1650839352023326721

I could see A.A.Ron spite twisting his mind around to participating in Jets voluntary activities as a way of screwing over the Packers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Nervous posted:

I could see A.A.Ron spite twisting his mind around to participating in Jets voluntary activities as a way of screwing over the Packers.

I don't really care why he does it tbqh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/AndrewBrandt/status/1650602319568838679

https://twitter.com/Al_Iannazzone/status/1650912097948123136
If Mike Maac was an F-, Douglas is a D. A terrible GM.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 25, 2023

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Welcome back, we missed you

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I think the Jets exercised the option and cleared cap space but they’re still on the hook.

Hey if it wins a superbowl it’s a great move. Anything less and phew that’s $$$

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

We got Aaron loving Rodgers for marginally more than the Dolphins paid for Bradley Chubb. Get off of my cloud mcmagic.

https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/1650666386270613504

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

We got Aaron loving Rodgers for marginally more than the Dolphins paid for Bradley Chubb. Get off of my cloud mcmagic.

That article rules. The Jets are such a pathetic laughing stock with zero hope for their fans that it doesn't matter how horrible the value they got in this trade was as long as they got Rodgers. Sure, why not send them the 2025 and 2026 firsts and douglas has to do gutekunst' laundry for the next 2 years!?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

How are you measuring this already? Under the guise of 2024 2nd or 1st?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If the '24 pick isn't a first then the trade is an unmitigated failure anyway, so you might as well treat it as one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The fact that they left themselves with a very possible outcome that they could win 10 or 11 games, miss the playoffs or lose in the first round, have Rodgers retire and then be without a 1st round pick next year when they need ammo to get a QB is such a level of incompetence and mismanagement that it's almost hard to believe

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean a 10 or 11 win team isn’t going to be in reach of a franchise QB 90% of the time anyway

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
Does A Ron have to learn a new playbook and offensive scheme?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Zach Wilson will be under contract in 2024 after starting his career as a backup learning behind Aaron

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Harlock posted:

Zach Wilson will be under contract in 2024 after starting his career as a backup learning behind Aaron

They are likely stupid enough to actually think this is a good plan for 24. LOL

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

mcmagic posted:

The fact that they left themselves with a very possible outcome that they could win 10 or 11 games, miss the playoffs or lose in the first round, have Rodgers retire and then be without a 1st round pick next year when they need ammo to get a QB is such a level of incompetence and mismanagement that it's almost hard to believe
Zach Wilson will still be under contract! :unsmigghh:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MaximilianK posted:

Does A Ron have to learn a new playbook and offensive scheme?

In theory Hackett as OC is supposed to install a familiar system so Rodgers can drop right in. But he wasn't running his own offense in the first place in GB so it's kind of unclear how well this will work in practice. Also, you know, *gestures vaguely toward Denver*

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
There's 7 seeds now mcmagic 10 wins is auto playoffs

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
If it isn't perfect, it sucks! -a fan of a team that hasn't had playoff aspirations in a decade

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Why did they bother interviewing Carr?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
now we're complaining that the jets weren't taken in by a used carr salesman?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

How are you measuring this already? Under the guise of 2024 2nd or 1st?
The assumption is this is for a late 2024 1st, which is not the same value as a present day late 1st. In present day value it probably maxes out at a mid-late 2nd. For this example, I'll use the Jimmy Johnson chart as its closest to what teams actually use than AnalyticsTwitter charts. I'll put the Jets into the Divisional Round, but no later.

It's essentially Rodgers for a mid-1st.

quote:

Jets
Aaron Rodgers
#15 1050
#170 21.8

Packers
#13 1150
#42 480
#207 7
2024 late 2nd 330

Difference 895.2 = Round 1, #18

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They traded the value of pick 18 for a one or at best 2 year rental of a player who they are doing the packers a favor and taking 60 million dollars off their books of cash and was never going to play for them again. It's completely insane.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s honestly funny Rodgers spiting the Packers actually worked out extremely well for them

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

They traded the value of pick 18 for a one or at best 2 year rental of a player who they are doing the packers a favor and taking 60 million dollars off their books of cash and was never going to play for them again. It's completely insane.
I don't care about the cash outlay and neither should you. That's Woody's pocket.

I spend a lot of money every year on Jets tickets mostly because I'm loving stupid, but the only thing that really matters to me is does he significantly raise the level of the team's play on the field while he's here? Do we have the chance at the division and a home playoff game? I think so. And I think that windows is at least 2 years but I guess we'll see.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

quote:

Jets GM Joe Douglas on what adding Aaron Rodgers could mean for Zach Wilson: "I think this is going to be a great thing for Zach. Zach's ceiling is unlimited. The opportunity to shadow and be with a first-ballot Hall of Fame QB will be a great opportunity and experience."

Aaron Rodgers, well known mentor.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s honestly funny Rodgers spiting the Packers actually worked out extremely well for them

It’s going to be like the RG3 trade where in the moment it seemed like a really big deal but then like two years later RG3 was basically dead and the Rams used all those picks to go 7-9 repeatedly and now it all just merits a collective shrug.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 25, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s going to be like the RG3 trade where in the moment it seemed like a really big deal but then RG3 like two years later RG3 was basically dead and the Rams used all those picks to go 7-9 repeatedly and now it all just merits a collective shrug.

I mean realistically but they were going to have dead money either way so more scratchers for the lottery can’t hurt

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1650911801968672793

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

I don't care about the cash outlay and neither should you. That's Woody's pocket.

I spend a lot of money every year on Jets tickets mostly because I'm loving stupid, but the only thing that really matters to me is does he significantly raise the level of the team's play on the field while he's here? Do we have the chance at the division and a home playoff game? I think so. And I think that windows is at least 2 years but I guess we'll see.

The cash is a part of the deal though. I 100% understand that you throw money down the drain on a garbage team every year and want to see them have a good QB.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The cash is the least important part of the deal really

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The cash is a part of the deal though. I 100% understand that you throw money down the drain on a garbage team every year and want to see them have a good QB.
Yes having a good QB for the first time in literally ever is more important to me than winning the value chart. Imo.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1356239712990728192?s=20

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

The cash would be a really important part of the deal if the Jets were taking a significant cap hit off of the Packers hands. But they're not: Rodgers' cap hit is $15.7 million or whatever it is and the Packers already have the cap hit for the money already paid out. And Joe Douglas came out today and said the Jets are reworking the deal (as everyone has rumored), so in theory it shouldn't be a mega issue going forward like it is on the current deal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well it will be a major deal that’s just how that works but like there is no way a trade could fix that. You are going to get that no matter what

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Yes having a good QB for the first time in literally ever is more important to me than winning the value chart. Imo.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1356239712990728192?s=20

I wish people would stop saying "super bowl"

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Professor Funk posted:

The cash would be a really important part of the deal if the Jets were taking a significant cap hit off of the Packers hands. But they're not: Rodgers' cap hit is $15.7 million or whatever it is and the Packers already have the cap hit for the money already paid out. And Joe Douglas came out today and said the Jets are reworking the deal (as everyone has rumored), so in theory it shouldn't be a mega issue going forward like it is on the current deal.

$15.7m this year. They're going to have to pay the $60m at some point. Though I don't think it's the end of the world if they're paying $20m dead cap for a couple of years post his retirement

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I wish people would stop saying "super bowl"

They can't cause that's the only way the Jets win this trade.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It's funny that with all these moves from the other teams in the AFCE, it's still just gonna be that stupid rear end in a top hat Josh Allen derping his way to another divisional title as defenders bounce off of him and he throws 60 yard TDs back across his body as he's running out of bounds.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I don't think that's true tbqh

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That's not even remotely true? If the Jets win the division and have a home playoff game for the first time in 21 years it's a win. If they're a 10-12 win team making the divisional round or AFC CG for the next 2 years it's a win. God forbid if they even make it to the Super Bowl for the first time in my life, let alone win, it's a massive win.

It's a 1st round pick. All of our teams have lit 1st round picks on fire for literally nothing before. The Dolphins lit one on fire for talking to Tom Brady. There's plenty of room here in between Super Bowl Champion and massive failure to be happy as fan.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's a 1st round pick. All of our team have lit 1st round picks on fire for literally nothing before and there's plenty of room in between Super Bowl Champion and massive failure.

Ask me about Jamal Adams.

Please don't ask me about Jamal Adams :(