Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

John Murdoch posted:

Wait, you mean this thing is nearly a Covert Action-alike? Why did nobody tell me???

actually basically, yes.

no shoot outs tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Jossar posted:

Anybody play Archmage Rises yet? I liked the demo from what I saw of NextFest, but I'm not sure how that translates to the full game (albeit still in early access).
The demo was the full game, so it's literally what the demo was with a large amount of bug fixes. I replayed the demo like a week ago right before they took it down and it was still really buggy, but also it's a cool game I plan on getting at some point. I just ended up getting Battle Bros and Shadows of Doubt instead to give it more time to cook.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gamerofthegame posted:

actually basically, yes.

no shoot outs tho
Car chases?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Zathril posted:

The Find All games are on sale now, just picked them up and played through 1 and 2, thanks to The 7th Guest, Jordan7hm and Blattdorf for the recommendation.

Thanks for this post. I picked them up and finished 1 and 2. Short, but delightful.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

the only cars are put up on bricks and basically all combat encounters, such as they are, are absolved once you make it out to the street

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Shadows of Doubt lets you do the classic "pretend to read a newspaper to escape pursuers" gag so it can only go up from here

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

so I was gonna play those demos i mentioned before... but then the Steam Puzzle Fest happened, so here's some puzzle demos

Escape From Mystwood Mansion (Q3 2023) - It's an escape room game, yep. I like escape room games, and this one is particularly polished although it will melt your computer unless you turn off unlimited FPS. These are hard to review because it's like, escape room opinions vary based on people's personal experiences and skill levels. But I thought it was fine. I guess the big thing will be the price, because I already have Escape Simulator, and Pine Studios keeps adding new free rooms to that game, and the Workshop community for that game is full of high quality rooms.

Insight ($3) - The screenshot above is basically what the game is. You divide shapes into a certain number of identical smaller shapes. Sometimes there's dots on the board so you have to make sure their position is accurate, sometimes you have to make multiple cuts. I like puzzles like this, but I've already played Taiji which incorporated such puzzles into a Witness-like nonlinear world, and it's hard to go back to something much more minimalist. I need more puzzle games about a single mechanic to be placed in a world I can run around in....

LOK Digital (2023) - Absolutely brilliant puzzler involving highlighting nonsense words in a line, which gives you the ability to black out a certain number of other tiles on the board. The goal in each level is to black out the entire level. Any black space is functionally a bridge, so tiles separated by a bridge are considered adjacent, which is where a lot of the logic puzzling comes into play. Definitely wishlisted.

Polychromia ($7) - Solid draw-a-line puzzler where you have to weave colored lines through each other to create new colors in order for those lines to reach their intended target. This one's a little too tough for me even in the first group of puzzles, so I may just be too dumb for this one, and I'll pass on it. The tricky part is definitely that you have to cross every square in the grid for a valid solution.

Regrowth ($4) - The idea here is interesting but I'm not sure if it really works. The idea is that the land is rapidly drying up and sinking into the sea, so you have to water the tiles and plant seeds to irrigate and grow grass on a certain number of tiles before time runs out. Personally I think this would work better as a turn-based puzzle game than one where you place some stuff down, hit the play button, and then have to react in real-time and buy more seeds/pipes. Too messy.

Tales from Candleworth (coming soon) - A first-person adventure similar to the Rusty Lake series, except not quite as elegantly put together. Hotspots have only one type of icon to indicate that they're hotspots, regardless of whether they're the type you click to pick them up, to interact with them, or they require an inventory object. Which results in a lot of feeble useless clicking on hotspots. This can easily be fixed by having different icons show on your cursor, so hopefully they consider that.

Viewfinder (2023) - Alright, this is the big one, the puzzle game that sort of headlines the whole Puzzle Fest. It's a wonderful bit of tech involving taking photographs and then recreating them in 3D in front of you. The puzzling involves the positioning and rotation of what you're sort of insta-3D printing in front of you, and to make sure you don't erase anything important where you're placing it. The game has a rewind feature for quick undos. What I wasn't expecting was that the game has a narrative, with someone talking to you in your ear, and audio logs. IDK if that really adds anything to the game or not. The real question is how much freedom will there be in the puzzle solving? 90% of the demo doesn't involve the camera but just taking existing photographs and placing them. So you only get a couple of puzzles at the end that allow you to take photos... and I'd say there's SOME freedom, but IDK if it's "multiple solutions possible" freedom, which is what you want with a very creativity-focused game like this. I'll have to see how the game reviews.

Unwording (out on Thursday) - An intriguing but potentially fraught puzzle adventure by the developer of Rainswept. The game starts out with you reinterpreting neutral things negatively by taking parts of words and rotating the blocks they're printed on to reveal other letters that could combine together to form new words. When you have two adjacent tiles correct, they'll be marked as such, for a little bit of Obra Dinning (as a treat). The messy part comes in the narrative. The protagonist is clearly dealing with anxiety/depression, but the game's premise is about "overcoming negative self-talk". In the demo, a bird comes in and starts trashing the protagonist's place, and then starts banging into the previous word puzzles, at which point you switch puzzle types to that of rotating a pile of letter blocks until you find the right angle to show the right word. "give up" becomes "clean up". The perspective switches from 2D to 3D. The colors shift from cold tones to warm tones. Allow me to put on my Woke Tree Hugging Hippy hat on and say that this could potentially imply a "depression can be gotten over/cured" story, which, would suck. If it is purely just about navigating depression and not making it all magically better, then it could be pretty neat. I guess I'll find out in a few days when reviews come out. Rainswept was just ok, but this has more promise, I think-- although, I will say, I much prefer the 'negative' puzzle type to the 'another perspective' puzzle type.

And that's all the ones I wanted to play... wait, I actually played all the demos I wanted to play in a festival. The hell?? Guess I'm glad I had the night off!

Orv
May 4, 2011
I remember posting a tech concept gif of Viewfinder a trillion years ago and it was crazy looking so it’s cool it materialized as a full game, hopefully a good one.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The 7th Guest posted:

Polychromia ($7) - Solid draw-a-line puzzler where you have to weave colored lines through each other to create new colors in order for those lines to reach their intended target. This one's a little too tough for me even in the first group of puzzles, so I may just be too dumb for this one, and I'll pass on it. The tricky part is definitely that you have to cross every square in the grid for a valid solution.

Gave the demo for this a try, it's a lot harder than I was expecting. I've played a similar game called Flow Free on my phone for a long time and done hundreds of puzzles, along with its variations like Flow Free Hexes and Flow Free Bridges so I was expecting to breeze through it. The need to combine lines to match with the destination color is an interesting twist on a basic formula and adds a lot more consideration than just trying to route the paths without blocking other ones.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Gave the demo for this a try, it's a lot harder than I was expecting. I've played a similar game called Flow Free on my phone for a long time and done hundreds of puzzles, along with its variations like Flow Free Hexes and Flow Free Bridges so I was expecting to breeze through it. The need to combine lines to match with the destination color is an interesting twist on a basic formula and adds a lot more consideration than just trying to route the paths without blocking other ones.

So I fired up Time Commando in a browser and was surprised to see that it actually animates as well as I remember. Then I got to thinking: maybe I should play through Time Commando?\

E: For context

Mordja fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 25, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

The Witness PTSD kicking in in 3...2...1...

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Mordja posted:

So I fired up Time Commando in a browser and was surprised to see that it actually animates as well as I remember. Then I got to thinking: maybe I should play through Time Commando?\
Time Commando rules. I bought it as a kid and played it during school lunch hours with my friend. Tripping through the different time periods was fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tried out the Spider-Man game thing that everyone was raving about.
At first it ran like absolute garbage but some Google-fu told me that the game just shits itself if you have hyperthreading on, so I disabled it for the game via Process Lasso and now it runs fine.

I am pretty impressed at the amount of mechanics the game has. Both the traversal and the combat are a lot more in-depth than I expected this game to be. I'm quite enjoying the gameplay on top difficulty so far.
As for the story, I've never been a spider-man fan but Marvel-isms have also been a lot less annoying than I was expecting. I couldn't stand Guardians of the Galaxy game's constant lovely quips and jokes but this one is inoffensive enough.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Jossar posted:

Anybody play Archmage Rises yet? I liked the demo from what I saw of NextFest, but I'm not sure how that translates to the full game (albeit still in early access).

I kicked it off again, awaiting some major progression first. Too early access right now.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mordja posted:

Oh man, this sparked some memories and I just realised that my brain edits out all the pixellation. I do remember greatly enjoying it tho!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Deakul posted:

But it sounds like you have your mind made up already

Oh definitely not, tbh I think I've already swung back towards not bothering.

In my head I wondered if it occupied a similar low budget feel/fan service space as that Terminator game, which I did really enjoyed. That obviously arrived with zero expectations from a studio that had previously released poo poo, whereas ACM had all the budget, hype and pedigree (in theory). I wondered if the games themselves met somewhere in the middle of those expectations, but that might be doing a massive disservice to Terminator by the sounds of it.

Anyway, Prey is currently the same price which makes the idea of spending £4.99 on Colonial Marines seem absurd. I've got AvP 2000 if I need to mess around with a Pulse Rifle.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

Man, I played that so much as a kid. Came with our kicking rad Soundblaster card back in the day. Would be kinda fun to have a spiritual successor.

Artelier posted:

Oh man, this sparked some memories and I just realised that my brain edits out all the pixellation. I do remember greatly enjoying it tho!

Lol, yeah, memory post-processing is a legit thing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The 7th Guest posted:

Insight ($3) - The screenshot above is basically what the game is. You divide shapes into a certain number of identical smaller shapes. Sometimes there's dots on the board so you have to make sure their position is accurate, sometimes you have to make multiple cuts. I like puzzles like this, but I've already played Taiji which incorporated such puzzles into a Witness-like nonlinear world, and it's hard to go back to something much more minimalist. I need more puzzle games about a single mechanic to be placed in a world I can run around in....

LOK Digital (2023) - Absolutely brilliant puzzler involving highlighting nonsense words in a line, which gives you the ability to black out a certain number of other tiles on the board. The goal in each level is to black out the entire level. Any black space is functionally a bridge, so tiles separated by a bridge are considered adjacent, which is where a lot of the logic puzzling comes into play. Definitely wishlisted.

Tried these three and really liked LOK, though by the end of the demo I was already struggling. I can only imagine how complicated it gets later.

Apparently it's a digital adaptation of a gamebook.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bumhead posted:

Oh definitely not, tbh I think I've already swung back towards not bothering.

In my head I wondered if it occupied a similar low budget feel/fan service space as that Terminator game, which I did really enjoyed. That obviously arrived with zero expectations from a studio that had previously released poo poo, whereas ACM had all the budget, hype and pedigree (in theory). I wondered if the games themselves met somewhere in the middle of those expectations, but that might be doing a massive disservice to Terminator by the sounds of it.

Anyway, Prey is currently the same price which makes the idea of spending £4.99 on Colonial Marines seem absurd. I've got AvP 2000 if I need to mess around with a Pulse Rifle.

Terminator Resistance is actually a pretty solid game that seems to have thought up the game part first and then designed the Terminator stuff around it whereas ACM was just a cynical cash grab full of memberberries.

I'm really surprised that AVP2 w/ Primal Hunt aren't available digitally, easily the best games about either IP but AVP2000 is really drat good too, scary as hell.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

AvP 2000 is deceptively scary. It's fast paced and otherwise has all the chops of a standard shooter campaign, but playing as a marine in those tight and pitch black corridors with Xeno's screeching towards you gets tense as hell really quickly.

I've never played AvP 2 so it's a shame it's no longer available on Steam. The IP generally doesn't seem to fair well in terms of licensing, and there are multiple Aliens games I'd snap up on Steam if I could. Alien Trilogy was the first shooter I ever played and I'd love for Nightdive or whoever to get hold of it somehow.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Now I want to play that AvP RTS game. No listing on steam for it, but a listing for the PS2 copy for a mere 100 dollars.

God I loving hate how getting old games requires me to be a wealthy computer toucher these days.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

just mod your old consoles and pirate to your hearts content, there's nothing intrinsically more ethical about giving scalpers money for real copies, the developers get nothing either way

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Bumhead posted:

AvP 2000 is deceptively scary. It's fast paced and otherwise has all the chops of a standard shooter campaign, but playing as a marine in those tight and pitch black corridors with Xeno's screeching towards you gets tense as hell really quickly.

I've never played AvP 2 so it's a shame it's no longer available on Steam. The IP generally doesn't seem to fair well in terms of licensing, and there are multiple Aliens games I'd snap up on Steam if I could. Alien Trilogy was the first shooter I ever played and I'd love for Nightdive or whoever to get hold of it somehow.

AvP2 was quite basic shooter from that era. Pretty much what you'd expect from Monolith at the time. Definitely less scary and difficult than the original. Alien controls were neat and it was nice how the campaigns crossed each others.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i can't think of a more fitting fate for the Consortium devs to have squandered away all their interest in a sequel by doing random side projects, than for a VR version of Consortium to have absolutely no interest or user reviews several days after launch

they had put out the followup game The Tower on Steam in early access in 2017 which was basically a demo and have not added to it since. and have instead just been working on VR poo poo that no one wants

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 25, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

From the video games deals thread

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Imagine being years deep into developing a VR game in 2023. What a terrible situation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh yeah, and they raised $350k to make The Tower on Fig. in 2016

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have legit never heard of The Consortium but after some investigation it would appear that they abandoned a game in EA to make this VR game that absolutely nobody seems to care about or wants to play, is that the gist of it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

pretty much all the comments on all their news posts are "FINISH THE loving GAME YOU SOLD US SIX YEARS AGO"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They also have a store page for the TBA "Consortium Remastered" which if you watch the trailer - is literally just the trailer from the already-released Consortium VR:

Consortium Remastered:
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256940952/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1682117945

Consortium VR:
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256940514/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1681180366

Big lol if the "remastered" version is just the VR version with VR controls stripped out but sold as a separate game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

hi um maybe you can shower before staying in our brig?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

explosivo posted:

I have legit never heard of The Consortium but after some investigation it would appear that they abandoned a game in EA to make this VR game that absolutely nobody seems to care about or wants to play, is that the gist of it?

I think The Consortium was a complete game that could be beaten and was not intended to be updated, but it ended on a cliffhanger/sequel hook. But instead of following up on the sequel hook that everyone wants them to do, they're just making remakes of the first game over and over again :psyduck:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress it looks so dated now. i mean it was never supposed to be a graphical powerhouse but i can't even tell much of a difference between the original and the remaster aside from the lighting being better (but also less dynamic??) and extra AA

original:

remaster:

i guess the resolution bump?? honestly the lack of contrast in the updated lighting makes it look more plastic

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh man, Consortium. I really liked the first one, there were different interactions that actually led to story paths in an Alpha Protocol kind of way. But it basically ended on a cliffhanger. And they Kickstarted the sequel, the Tower, and then released a totally unfinished version in Early Access and left it to die for years.

I got an email a few days ago saying that I get Consortium Remastered for free since I owned the original Consortium but they are no longer supporting it (and I wouldn't be surprised if it's being delisted or something), and shilling Consortium VR. But the funniest part for me is this:

quote:

We are confident that our recent releases will enable us to establish an accurate completion budget for Consortium: THE TOWER.

Rest assured, Consortium: THE TOWER remains an active project at iDGi.The Early Access 4.15 build, available on Steam since late 2019, signifies the completion of Phase One of production. While the development process has been lengthy and complex, our original vision for THE TOWER has not changed. Please checkout the following post for more information on our motivations and plans as a company moving forward:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/626250/discussions/0/3829791007686976119/

We are nearing completion of CONSORTIUM VR / Remastered, bringing us closer to commencing Phase Two of Consortium: THE TOWER's production. We have begun integrating the latest CONSORTIUM VR / Remastered features and content into THE TOWER, with plans to release "Alpha 2.0" later this year.

For context, they funded Consortium the Tower on Kickstarter in 2013. This game was released in Early Access in 2017. And you're now saying you hope reselling the original as a remaster and a VR edition would "enable you to establish an accurate completion budget" for it?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drat, I remember liking Consortium back in the day. Didn't even know The Tower was in EA, lol, six years there and no release in sight? Is that a record?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ZearothK posted:

drat, I remember liking Consortium back in the day. Didn't even know The Tower was in EA, lol, six years there and no release in sight? Is that a record?

Project Zomboid has been in EA for 10 years and no release in sight. That game is actually a fully featured game at this point though unlike the Tower which sounds.. not.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ZearothK posted:

Black Ice has been in EA since 2014 and still gets frequent updates

Secrets of Grindea has been in EA since 2015 and is nearing content completion according to their dev blog

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ZearothK posted:

have you never heard of Star Citizen?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

cause i envy you if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

New on Fanatical: New Realms bundle

quote:

Escape the backrooms