Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

HOLY gently caress NO GROSS

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Getting real strong irl Stretch Armstrong vibes from banjo man

Also haha, I'm not clicking that ∆∆

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

TotalLossBrain posted:

Also haha, I'm not clicking that ∆∆

It's a guy having some kind of larva removed from his upper lip. You're welcome.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Bot fly larva.

If you think that's bad, never hang out with a veterinarian. That's like a good 10% of the job for any vet that's working with livestock.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nobody better reverse that haha because that would be terrible ha ha like in that tv show ha ha

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://twitter.com/Bornakang/status/1650395471427371008?s=20

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I had never thoroughly considered the phrase "bite his head off" until this moment.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

This is somehow more objectionable to me than the botfly larva video.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

This is somehow more objectionable to me than the botfly larva video.

Botfly videos are physically distressing but Extreme Couponing is psychically distressing

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

The botfly is simply doing what it does, without the ability to introspect and reflect upon the impact of its actions and the horror it causes. That is nature.
The coupon dude is simply doing what it does, without the ability to introspect and reflect upon the impact of its actions and the horror it causes. That is man.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t understand how that extreme coupon poo poo keeps happening surely they’ve learned by now to slap a “one per customer/transaction” thing in the small print

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t understand how that extreme coupon poo poo keeps happening surely they’ve learned by now to slap a “one per customer/transaction” thing in the small print

That guy is an outlier. For every Coupons Georg that exists there would be dozens or hundreds of people who would use a couple of coupons and also impulse buy other items whilst in the store.

He clearly places a very low value on his time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It takes just as much time to check out one customer who takes an hour because they have 40 000 items and tree(3) coupons and sixty customers who take a minute each. Surely not even in the US do cashiers have a daily quota of customers?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

is this the guy that exclusively posted in coupons and crashed the site with his block list?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It takes just as much time to check out one customer who takes an hour because they have 40 000 items and tree(3) coupons and sixty customers who take a minute each. Surely not even in the US do cashiers have a daily quota of customers?

It's more that this type of customer is 100% going to be the most annoying person you'll deal with all week and will likely argue with you about every single item and coupon, especially if the coupons are expired

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Most places started cracking down on couponing when that show started getting big. To no one’s surprise those extreme couponers were spending like 60 hours a week doing it, so it’s basically a full time job anyways.

DNAmage
Oct 8, 2005

Occult Scientist
Cannot turn to attack.
He mixes biotech and sorcery with sinister results

Non Compos Mentis posted:

is this the guy that exclusively posted in coupons and crashed the site with his block list?

:coupons:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Non Compos Mentis posted:

haha what

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

A goon from coupons had a blocklist so big every time he logged in the forums would die.

E: I cannot remember why he blocked everyone

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

RandolphCarter posted:

A goon from coupons had a blocklist so big every time he logged in the forums would die.

If I remember right, they only wanted to see posts that were relevant to their interests, and blocked anyone talking about anything they weren't interested in. Or something basic like that.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Paper Tiger posted:

If I remember right, they only wanted to see posts that were relevant to their interests, and blocked anyone talking about anything they weren't interested in. Or something basic like that.

Ah the proto-QCS

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

RandolphCarter posted:

Because none of us are free of sin, clearly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1879

Looks like they never gave a reason for ignoring 12,000 users and haven't posted since 2006 so :iiam: forever

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

haveblue posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1879

Looks like they never gave a reason for ignoring 12,000 users and haven't posted since 2006 so :iiam: forever

They are ignoring EVERYBODY now.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Surely not even in the US do cashiers have a daily quota of customers?

Technically, yes. Not in the literal "This cashier needs to ring up X number of customers for a quota" but in the "It is the job of a cashier to convince customers to spend more money."

That's why you have all the gum and magazines and crap in checkout lanes, as impulse buys, and why you're asked about rewards programs and why cashiers are supposed to inspect everything you are buying and make suggestions ("Oh, do you need batteries for this?") and it's just hell for everyone.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
lmaoooo ty for the SA Heritage Moment. what an incredibly weird thing

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Jamesman posted:

Technically, yes. Not in the literal "This cashier needs to ring up X number of customers for a quota" but in the "It is the job of a cashier to convince customers to spend more money."

That's why you have all the gum and magazines and crap in checkout lanes, as impulse buys, and why you're asked about rewards programs and why cashiers are supposed to inspect everything you are buying and make suggestions ("Oh, do you need batteries for this?") and it's just hell for everyone.

As a former cashier in several retail environments including grocery stores...not really. Corporate might put some poo poo like that in a training manual, but no one who is directly managing you day-to-day cares. Especially in grocery stores - yes, the magazines and gum are there for impulse buying, but in my experience the cashier has no incentive for selling that, and the only "upseller" types I encountered were the folks that were just naturally chatty go-getters that did it of their own volition. Cashiers in most chain grocery stores have no commission or tracking of their sales that's monitored for purposes of their evaluating job performance. Their job is not to inspect purchases and offer suggestions, but to get people through the line as fast as possible so lines don't get long.

Basically the other poster was right, it's exasperating for the cashier because customer service jobs suck and this type of person being aggro about their couponing goes in the "annoyance" pile of your day. Also, even if you're not tracked on how many customers you get through, if the store is busy, hold ups like this make everyone else antsy, which leads to more people complaining to you because...customer service jobs suck.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

I would 100% just pull $2 out of my own pocket and say, "Take a breath, I got you." Sheesh.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
the cruelty is the point

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I dunno if it’s still the case (it might be because their cashiers are still absolutely racing to get you through that transaction) but I’ve had friends who worked at ALDI/LIDL type budget supermarkets and they were measured on items scanned per minute over the course of a transaction, which is why if you go to one of those places the cashier scans your poo poo at light speed and you always have to race against them to bag it up or just throw it back in the trolley and bag it on the shame shelf away from the checkouts.

It started counting time from the first scan to the customer paying for the goods, so some dickhead loving around and faffing over his 90 coupons and accidental extra soup could really gently caress up their day.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

marjorie posted:

As a former cashier in several retail environments including grocery stores...not really. Corporate might put some poo poo like that in a training manual, but no one who is directly managing you day-to-day cares. Especially in grocery stores - yes, the magazines and gum are there for impulse buying, but in my experience the cashier has no incentive for selling that, and the only "upseller" types I encountered were the folks that were just naturally chatty go-getters that did it of their own volition. Cashiers in most chain grocery stores have no commission or tracking of their sales that's monitored for purposes of their evaluating job performance. Their job is not to inspect purchases and offer suggestions, but to get people through the line as fast as possible so lines don't get long.

Basically the other poster was right, it's exasperating for the cashier because customer service jobs suck and this type of person being aggro about their couponing goes in the "annoyance" pile of your day. Also, even if you're not tracked on how many customers you get through, if the store is busy, hold ups like this make everyone else antsy, which leads to more people complaining to you because...customer service jobs suck.

I worked as a service station (gas station) cashier - we called them "console operator" - in my late teens, about 25 years ago. It was a BP service station but I worked for the franchisee that ran it.

We had a "mystery shopper" program where once a month, BP would send someone around posing as a regular customer. To get above 80/100, we needed to have a friendly greeting, upsell the crap out of the store, be pleasant, have everything in the place looking clean and tidy - including toilets etc. So we weren't under daily KPIs but absolutely had to perform well for these mystery shopper interactions.

It got very tiring putting on a happy demeanor during the afternoon peak hour, where people are paying for a product they don't really want to pay for, and are just in a hurry to get out.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Stryder posted:

I would 100% just pull $2 out of my own pocket and say, "Take a breath, I got you." Sheesh.

You would 100% get fired for that at wal-mart (lovely but true)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There's a coupon forum? Jesus, I keep forgetting there's so many weird subs that you never venture going into

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hang on hang on are you saying I could crash the forums by ignoring 12,000 users? What's the catch, smartass.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Karate Bastard posted:

Hang on hang on are you saying I could crash the forums by ignoring 12,000 users? What's the catch, smartass.

When you block the 12,000th user, you feel your back begin to hurt and divorce papers appear before you. You also get a craving for mangosteen for some reason.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Imagine two guys like that high-fiving each other

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

:sissies:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/cji1GXM.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
Retail chains never really cared about how many coupons somebody would use because they were getting reimbursed for all of them. Recently though the manufacturers have flat out told retail chains to go gently caress themselves and will only reimburse them for so many coupons. The number of "extreme" couponers has died down considerably where I work because we changed all the rules about how many coupons we can take and we stopped letting customers do multiple transactions to get around the rules of the coupons themselves.