Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hard to compete against Luke Skywalker, third most prolific mass murderer in the galaxy at 18. She needs to up her game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So no mainline series till this summer?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, if I recall correctly the soonest bit of new content on the docket will be Visions S2

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Vintersorg posted:

Correct, but Visions Season 2 and Young Jedi Adventures (which is canon but made for the youngsters) both hit May 4th.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The YJA shorts are fun enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKZvTnNkAlc

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

YJA is canon? :3:

That post someone made about a sudden episode drop of something dramatic is inching closer to reality. :lol:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

YJA is canon? :3:

That post someone made about a sudden episode drop of something dramatic is inching closer to reality. :lol:

High Republic era canon, anyway, much to everyone making jokes about the finale having Anakin show up's chagrin

'course, given all the nightmares running around in HR, Anakin would probably be considered a mercy - Taborr looks half-Nihil with that helmet as-is

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1650545420278575104?s=46&t=W5KCD-yJ2eKZZKYOCBeIUQ

I’m not sure I’m ready to have my poo poo rocked by Visions next week

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Cross-Section posted:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1650545420278575104?s=46&t=W5KCD-yJ2eKZZKYOCBeIUQ

I’m not sure I’m ready to have my poo poo rocked by Visions next week
Your sith rocked?

No? Okay. I'll just leave.

I was pretty meh on most of the Visions last time. The Duel being the notable exception. I get that it's sort of a free license to do whatever with the source material, but man, lets gooooo.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Just finished Rebels season 1. Not bad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Breadallelogram posted:

Brace yourself for the escalation.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Breadallelogram posted:

Season 2 really picks up and the latter half of Season 2 is just hit after hit

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

Season 2 really picks up and the latter half of Season 2 is just hit after hit

So I have read. I'm already digging it so I'm looking forward to it getting even better.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Can't believe A More Civilized Age talked themselves into putting off Rebels again to watch Solo solely for the last 30 seconds of the film that has never been built upon by any other story to date. :negative:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Can't believe A More Civilized Age talked themselves into putting off Rebels again to watch Solo solely for the last 30 seconds of the film that has never been built upon by any other story to date. :negative:

Austin seemed so defeated.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

It'll be worth it, especially if it goes long. Five star podcast, five star runtimes!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Where did the bug/insect thing start for AMCA? I'm going back through older episodes and it seems to have been something that started pretty early.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Breadallelogram posted:

i mean we can be honest. its pretty bad. but i watched that poo poo anyways.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
bad batch is pretty bad

rebels is downright dire

but i watch it anyways

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If you think those are bad, you must think Book of Boba Fett and Obi Wan are war crimes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If you think those are bad, you must think Book of Boba Fett and Obi Wan are war crimes

Aren't they, though? At least we got a good Mando episode and the train heist episode out if Bob Feet but that doesn't justify the rest.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
rebels is probably fine when you can fast forward through all the many, many filler episodes

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

kliras posted:

rebels is probably fine when you can fast forward through all the many, many filler episodes

Proportionally less filler than Clone Wars but yeah

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rebels tries to work in longer plot threads into each episode so depending on your threshold there might not be that much filler.

Take the first season. The intro two-parter is obvious essential, then episode 3 has R2 and 3PO and sets up the link with Bail, episode 4 is where they get the TIE they use later, 5 has the first meeting with the Inquisitor and a bunch of Jedi stuff, 6 introduces the cadets, 7 has Fulcrum, 8 & 9 are about Ezra's parents, 10 is where he gets a lightsaber, 11 is a Lando cameo, and 12-15 is the final arc (with 12 arguably being separate).

Are some of those pretty thin connections in otherwise standalone episodes that you could skip and pick up from context? Sure. But it's different to Clone Wars where you would have episodes that were entirely standalone outside of maybe some character development.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 25, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also just the body count in most episodes, with even the kid racking up kills without hesitation.

I'm finishing up the second season of Resistance and 99% of enemies end up with their ships disabled rather than destroyed. The main character doesn't even carry a blaster except maybe three times. Gives it a massive GI Joe feel.

This is not a compliment.

Pity the show only really finds its feet when it goes the Battlestar Galactica route and the station starts wandering the galaxy with the First Order chasing them. Much better than the first season where the writers spent all their time trying to make the most annoying main character in a sci fi show since Final Space.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I absolutely loved Andor but my kids hated it. They thought BoBF was the raddest poo poo they had ever seen.

I weirdly feel like it’s a live action cartoon. People talk about how Rebels and Clone Wars having great episodes with lots of filler. Some great stuff mixed in with lots of stuff you shouldn’t think too hard about because it’s at its core a kids cartoon. I’ve watched both of them and absolutely agree with this sentiment.

Seeing BoBF from the eyes of my children (6 and 9) made me like it a bit more I guess.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It's no surprise to me that Andor doesn't land the same way with kids. So much of what makes it good is how it relates to the real-life politics of the past and present, and that's probably going to sail right over the heads of pre-teens.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Nash posted:

I absolutely loved Andor but my kids hated it. They thought BoBF was the raddest poo poo they had ever seen.

Slashrat posted:

It's no surprise to me that Andor doesn't land the same way with kids. So much of what makes it good is how it relates to the real-life politics of the past and present, and that's probably going to sail right over the heads of pre-teens.

Yeah, it's a show that requires a minimum level of cynicism and knowledge of real world history that most 9 year olds lack. I still remember being 10 and thinking that the political stuff in Episode 3 was unrealistic, surely people wouldn't be cheering for the obviously evil guy, right?

Attack of the Clones, meanwhile, was the coolest poo poo ever to 7 year old me. CGI arena fights, dual wielding lightsabers, what more do you need?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This season of Mando felt more like TCW than anything else so I'd have been okay with it being animated.

I'm happy that Andor exists and that it is getting a second season. More than that I'm hoping it and stuff like Visions allows Star Wars to explore more aspects of the galaxy. Live action cartoon adventures is fine but it's good to have variety. I'd love to see more shows aimed at an older audience like Andor but I wouldn't want that to be all I get.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nash posted:

I weirdly feel like it’s a live action cartoon. People talk about how Rebels and Clone Wars having great episodes with lots of filler. Some great stuff mixed in with lots of stuff you shouldn’t think too hard about because it’s at its core a kids cartoon. I’ve watched both of them and absolutely agree with this sentiment.

Seeing BoBF from the eyes of my children (6 and 9) made me like it a bit more I guess.

The Favreau shows are absolutely just really expensive Saturday morning cartoons. Robert Rodriguez mentioned really clicking with Feavreau & Filoni when he showed them his rough animatic of the Boba Fett fight scene in The Mandalorian using action figures and his kids in Halloween costumes. The episodes are explicitly designed to be "this is what you saw in your head when you were playing with toys as a kid", so approaching them from the perspective of a child is appropriate.

Stuff like Andor is a great alternative, but Star Wars has always been for kids, and Boba Fett the crime lord who doesn't do any crimes and hangs around with a scooter gang fits well within that version of the universe.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Robot Style posted:

The Favreau shows are absolutely just really expensive Saturday morning cartoons. Robert Rodriguez mentioned really clicking with Feavreau & Filoni when he showed them his rough animatic of the Boba Fett fight scene in The Mandalorian using action figures and his kids in Halloween costumes. The episodes are explicitly designed to be "this is what you saw in your head when you were playing with toys as a kid", so approaching them from the perspective of a child is appropriate.

Not really disagreeing with the general sentiment of this, but I wish that they would do less "this is what you saw in your head as a kid" and did more "this is a genuinely cool shot / image / story that can impress a child" and made it a bit more professional. Its hard to articulate what I am getting. Less catering to what a child thinks and more exposing them to powerful images. Like undoubtedly a child thinks "boba fett beats up a bunch of stormtroopers" is cool, but does it also have to look cheap too? And can we make it in a way that makes sense?

Like I don't think george lucas, at least in the OT, was necessarily thinking "this is what a child would imagine" right? He just made stuff that was cool but also appropriate for children. Some of the missteps in the PT IMO come from that shift in perspective, when it is NOT NEEDED. Andor is obviously conceived for an adult viewer, I agree. However, Mando's seams start to show more in the scenes that are obviously catering more to children.

Does this perspective I have make sense to anyone else? I am not communicating it effectively I feel lol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How I'd articulate that is that it's a difference between a kid's show and an all-ages show. A kid's show caters to lowest common denominator silliness and dumbs things down so kids can understand everything, an all-ages show just ensures that everything is still accessible to a kid or won't be confusing or boring if it flies over a kid's head.

Arc Hammer posted:

This season of Mando felt more like TCW than anything else so I'd have been okay with it being animated.

It would have been significantly better as an animation. A lot of the goofier Star Wars stuff is significantly less forgivable in live-action, and this season was chock-full of it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 25, 2023

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
When Boba Fett showed up in Mando season 2 and absolutely kicked the poo poo out of the storm troopers I was pumped. Hell I still randomly queue up that episode and watch it from time to time. This was what Star Wars kid me had in mind when people talked about him being so badass.

Talking to my young kids and having them geek out about BoBF and being able to share a lifelong interest with them in this way was great. I’ll defend the series just for that shared experience with them. If I didn’t have kids I’d definitely be in the camp of “meh”

I put it above Kenobi for myself personally.

I understand my kids hating Andor. I would have felt the same way at their age.

Nash fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 25, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If there was one thing that I would take from Andor and apply to all of Star Wars it would be the quality of the writing. Disregarding tone and acting quality, the actual writing in Andor is excellent in a way that Star Wars rarely is.

I'd rate most of the dialogue in Mando and Boba as sloppy to serviceable. Great performances can elevate bad dialogue but great performances and great dialogue working in concert is self evident.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think tastes just vary and change over time, even among kids. In the OT star wars play usually probably involved inserting as one of the adult characters or a peer, then the prequels dabbled with kid characters in the mix who they thought kids might also want to embody, then the cartoons fully developed that with outright kid protagonists which they were obviously phenomenally successful with.

Now in the modern day you have all three approaches kinda in the mix at once across the disney output and I guess kids can pick to their taste. I'm not really driving at any point here it's just a bit interesting

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Andor panel from Celebration was such a treat

Really wish the concept art was on the StarWars site rather than shotgunned across the internet

Definitely like how empty they made the board meetings in comparison

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 25, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Vinylshadow posted:

Definitely like how empty they made the board meetings in comparison
Did they? I thought all of the white coats had their gray coat assistant behind them?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

HootTheOwl posted:

Did they? I thought all of the white coats had their gray coat assistant behind them?

From the first formal meeting of the ISB:

I think in some of the more informal scenes the assistants are milling about but for the official meetings of the group they are not.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
They were present during the all hands on deck-meeting at the end of episode 6 in the wake of the heist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Jerkface posted:

Not really disagreeing with the general sentiment of this, but I wish that they would do less "this is what you saw in your head as a kid" and did more "this is a genuinely cool shot / image / story that can impress a child" and made it a bit more professional. Its hard to articulate what I am getting. Less catering to what a child thinks and more exposing them to powerful images. Like undoubtedly a child thinks "boba fett beats up a bunch of stormtroopers" is cool, but does it also have to look cheap too? And can we make it in a way that makes sense?

Like I don't think george lucas, at least in the OT, was necessarily thinking "this is what a child would imagine" right? He just made stuff that was cool but also appropriate for children. Some of the missteps in the PT IMO come from that shift in perspective, when it is NOT NEEDED. Andor is obviously conceived for an adult viewer, I agree. However, Mando's seams start to show more in the scenes that are obviously catering more to children.

Does this perspective I have make sense to anyone else? I am not communicating it effectively I feel lol
I think the balancing act that Lucas appeared to be so effective at was due to his production process; he had more time and was spending his own money. He had a luxury that doesn't really exist at the current Lucasfilm that pumps out all of these shows on a schedule. He was involved with the Clone Wars and I think it reveals how he worked in a similar environment, even if most of it was seemingly as an overseer/editor.

Everything about the D+ shows strikes me in the same way that the Legends comic books did from the original Marvel run through Dark Horse. The authors and artists were under time constraints and it occasionally "showed". Not "bad", but perhaps mediocre at times and leaving me with a vague sense of "Why couldn't this be done better?" But I enjoyed them enough to keep reading.

That's why I'm not interested in further movies; Disney/Lucasfilm have demonstrated that they're created under the same constraints. If the sequel trilogy was released as a direct to D+ series, I'd likely view it more favorably than as movies/successors to Lucas's work.

To see considered work that you're asking for, I just don't see it happening; Disney/Lucasfilm isn't going to give any film creator the time and money to create something to reach or rival Lucas's work.