Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Randalor posted:

I kind of wonder if Bison's DOLLs were a result of "gender dysphoria before we actually had terms for it" or if it's just that Bison is a creepy old gently caress who would joke about "If I died, I totally want to come back as a hot babe."

It's Bison-is-a-creepy-gently caress, isn't it?

When Bison removed a portion of his soul, it sought out a female host. Also his favorite video game is Fallout: New Vegas. Just some things to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Balrog punched an elephant once and it died

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randalor posted:

I kind of wonder if Bison's DOLLs were a result of "gender dysphoria before we actually had terms for it" or if it's just that Bison is a creepy old gently caress who would joke about "If I died, I totally want to come back as a hot babe."

It's Bison-is-a-creepy-gently caress, isn't it?

Shoulda called him N.Bison instead. :downsrim:

NB

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

RareAcumen posted:

Balrog punched an elephant once and it died

That elephant? Thomas Edison's soul-doll

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Whenever I have the occasion to say "Thailand", I say it like the SF2 announcer.

Nobody cares though 😔

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bogmonster posted:

Whenever I have the occasion to say "Thailand", I say it like the SF2 announcer.

Nobody cares though 😔

INdia.

Japaaaan.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Remember when Zangief did the dance with Gorbachev and communism took over the world?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Push El Burrito posted:

Remember when Zangief did the dance with Gorbachev and communism took over the world?

Older games were never political.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Because of Zangeif's cameo in Wreck it Ralph I've started calling the hip abductor at my local gym the "sparrow egg" because it's the same motion. :3:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My favorite little thing about Street Fighter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYW5rmQgGXE

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Street Fighter movie was apparently using a repurposed script for a GI Joe movie and honestly they barely need to change much.

Weirdly appropriate considering the GI Joe Street Fighter figures.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Feel like this will creep me out, but what does DOLL stand for?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

credburn posted:

I like to think they are new initials. M Bison is Michael Bison, then you have Dahlia Bison, Olivia Bison, Linda bison and Louise Bison.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Bison got his start operating a prohibition-era speakeasy, and old habits die hard.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

According to the wiki, their Japanese name is Vega Elite Guards, and only Cammy was a clone. So maybe Bison was just going through his "1920's Gangster" mood when he named them.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

John Murdoch posted:

Weirdly appropriate considering the GI Joe Street Fighter figures.

Woah, I totally forgot I had the Chun Li and Ryu dolls from that line growing up! If you're wondering, yes they could totally take a Xenomorph, but against Metalhead and Mondo Gecko it was much more of a toss-up

Randalor posted:

According to the wiki, their Japanese name is Vega Elite Guards, and only Cammy was a clone. So maybe Bison was just going through his "1920's Gangster" mood when he named them.

🎵 "The Vega Guards are clonin'..." 🎵

Cool Kids Club Soda has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Apr 25, 2023

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
loving quote is not edit lol

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Street Fighter lore is weird.

wait till you try to piece together kof!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

NoiseAnnoys posted:

wait till you try to piece together kof!

IT ALL BEGAN IN '94, KEPT ON ROLLIN' IN '95, PIECES FELL IN PLACE IN '96, IT CAME TO THE END IN '97, AND NOW IT COMES AND HERE WE GO, THE KOF IS HERE AGAIN, NOTHING'S GONNA STOP IT'S 1998

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The problem with these games is that all the lore is always so stupid. I prefer my lore simple and straightforward. Like good ol' Mortal Kombat, Halo and Destiny. Just gunfire and fire balls and bad guys sitting on thrones. Nothing complicated at all in there.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just a game about Donald, Goofy, and a kid traveling to different Disney properties trying to save Mickey.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

American games like to keep their stories nice and simple. No killing God or launching attacks on an army via the past or time travel. Just good ol 'there's an evil guy and we and gotta kill him' and maybe you're a criminal, we've kinda just let Rockstar keep making that story over and over again.

All the dumb poo poo's in the comic books. That's why we're ~36 Spider-Man games deep and we haven't brought up the Spider-Totems or the Web of Life and Destiny or Spider-Gwen or Thanos Copter. Just nice easy to follow stories that don't involve multiverses or clones or anything complicated.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

RareAcumen posted:

American games like to keep their stories nice and simple. No killing God or launching attacks on an army via the past or time travel. Just good ol 'there's an evil guy and we and gotta kill him' and maybe you're a criminal, we've kinda just let Rockstar keep making that story over and over again.

All the dumb poo poo's in the comic books. That's why we're ~36 Spider-Man games deep and we haven't brought up the Spider-Totems or the Web of Life and Destiny or Spider-Gwen or Thanos Copter. Just nice easy to follow stories that don't involve multiverses or clones or anything complicated.

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions got into a bit of the Madame Webb/Multiverse ish but that game was really fun. I recall it not being a big convoluted mess but rather something more like a several issue miniseries. Ah poo poo, Spider-Man, Mysterio and your usual buddies broke some poo poo and now you and your counterparts gotta put it back together!

Edit: now that I re-read your post, it kinda fits your point. Sure, it’s multiverse BS but it is kept short and simple.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm alright with "grounded" stories, but if it's based on a comic book property, why even bother being restrained? There's canonical reasons to do literally anything. I don't watch a superhero movie because I want to see a superhero doing things a person is capable of.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Captain America cleaning his gutters.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
They should make a Thanos-copter rail shooter

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love evil versions of cute mascot characters in games, like Lost Odyssey's Black/Hellish Kelolons. They are so cute with their little evil chuckles and anime villain attacks.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Like Five Nights At Freddy's?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

No, because the evil kelolons are charming. The idea is that they are still very cute, they are just edgy in a way that makes them even cuter, like an angry child trying to scare an adult.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
SMT's Jack Frost comes to mind...

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

credburn posted:

I'm alright with "grounded" stories, but if it's based on a comic book property, why even bother being restrained? There's canonical reasons to do literally anything. I don't watch a superhero movie because I want to see a superhero doing things a person is capable of.

Cause comics are so often edgy poo poo and the restrictions of movies or games keep the psychos writing comics in check.

Spiderverse movie? Excellent.
Shattered Dimensions game? Excellent.
Spiderverse comics? Hey remember that Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends show? WELL HERES A SPLASH PANEL OF THEIR BRUTAL MURDERS AHAHAHA check out my vampire OC guys he's so coool and edgy and he beat a spiderman to death with mj's tombstone haw haw

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RareAcumen posted:

The problem with these games is that all the lore is always so stupid. I prefer my lore simple and straightforward. Like good ol' Mortal Kombat, Halo and Destiny. Just gunfire and fire balls and bad guys sitting on thrones. Nothing complicated at all in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXs0R370LU

I'll always enjoy that he put the PSO1 opening theme over this

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Apr 26, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Shattered Dimensions was great but everyone shat on it at the time because how dare they make a Spidey game that isn't open world??

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Opopanax posted:

Shattered Dimensions was great but everyone shat on it at the time because how dare they make a Spidey game that isn't open world??

I’m doing my once a month play through of PS4 Spider-Man and the dlc and the swinging mechanics are almost as good as my real life swinging mechanics

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
More like old Polyamorous.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been toying around with some old Gameboy games lately, and Kirby's Block Ball is pretty great. Aside from his collectible powers being a nice fit for the Arkanoid genre, I really like that they added a timed mechanic to try and temporarily turn him from a ball into Kirby almost any time he hits a paddle. It adds a nice layer to the basic gameplay - he goes faster but can bounce off a spike once, he can destroy strong blocks faster but gains less points. Just a solid addition, especially when you don't have other powers to play with.

The game's largely very playable today even given its OG Gameboy origins, and I'm surprised it never got followed up on for beefier systems.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started playing Octopath Traveller as I've had it for ages and never got very far. I'm enjoying the combat so far despite the issues with the writing (which is fine, not brilliant but functional) because while the bosses are quite hard, I'm currently doing my first Chapter 2 boss now I have 4 characters in my party (Merchant, priestess, knight errant and scholar) and am gettin my rear end kicked by him, the actual mechanical stuff with the varying weakpoints to hit is very satisfying. Just being able to go "ok, he's weak to wind, spears and staves, so merchant cast your wind attack, knight stack a pair of spear attacks like in Bravely Default, and scholar finally bonk him with your staff to break his guard, and now everyone can hit as hard as possible". It's a fun idea. Like a more complicated version of extra turns in Persona/SMT games.

I also like figuring out the side stories in each town and which character's path abilities can fix their problems. That feels good to figure out.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing Octopath Traveller as I've had it for ages and never got very far. I'm enjoying the combat so far despite the issues with the writing (which is fine, not brilliant but functional) because while the bosses are quite hard, I'm currently doing my first Chapter 2 boss now I have 4 characters in my party (Merchant, priestess, knight errant and scholar) and am gettin my rear end kicked by him, the actual mechanical stuff with the varying weakpoints to hit is very satisfying. Just being able to go "ok, he's weak to wind, spears and staves, so merchant cast your wind attack, knight stack a pair of spear attacks like in Bravely Default, and scholar finally bonk him with your staff to break his guard, and now everyone can hit as hard as possible". It's a fun idea. Like a more complicated version of extra turns in Persona/SMT games.

Octopath 2 is an order of magnitude better. Personally I would recommend skipping 1; I hated it but loved 2.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Octopath 2 is an order of magnitude better. Personally I would recommend skipping 1; I hated it but loved 2.

I've heard that, but I have 1 so figured I might at well get around to it as I do want to see how the stories unfold, even if they aren't as good as Live a Live or Octopath 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I've heard that, but I have 1 so figured I might at well get around to it as I do want to see how the stories unfold, even if they aren't as good as Live a Live or Octopath 2.

OT1’s problems had a lot more to do with game structure and formula than anything inherent to the game itself. As long as you don’t mind how completely transparent and rigid it is about its structure, it’s a perfectly fine game.

II outshined it by a tremendous amount, but I don’t think the first game is bad by any means.