Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Menthols or chocolate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Popeye

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

infernal machines posted:

Are you kidding? He's finally free to work for Rebel Media

Oh, is it time to start harbouring Confederate agents again? Maybe this time the Yanks will lose and we can retake Cascadia and northern Maine.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-police-recruitment-changes-1.6821382

Ontario dropping education requirement for cops, because they want to recruit more of them.

Ontario is going great.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Took the word right out of my mouth.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Always thought it was weird that Popeye got the candy cigarettes since the dude doesn't hack darts, he uses a pipe

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Calumanjaro posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-police-recruitment-changes-1.6821382

Ontario dropping education requirement for cops, because they want to recruit more of them.

Ontario is going great.

If it's anything like Manitoba this is a golden ticket of money but you gotta be a pig.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Calumanjaro posted:

Ontario is going great.

Lmao. One of the big recommendations from tge Portapique Massacre report was that cops should at minimum have a four year degree in somwthing relevant. Not even a full month for yet another fairly judged report on police failures to be ignored lol

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
1 credit is fine as long as they have to attend Bovine University

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Lmao. One of the big recommendations from tge Portapique Massacre report was that cops should at minimum have a four year degree in somwthing relevant. Not even a full month for yet another fairly judged report on police failures to be ignored lol

That’s New Brunswick ontario cops are different duh

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Calumanjaro posted:

Ontario is going great.

Tremendous misstep. Very bad idea

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/basic-income-guarantee-poverty-government-programs-1.6820837

Surprising (because he sucks) but here's Halifax Mayor Mike Savage joining with some other mayors from out in the counties to petition the province to implement UBI... I'm afraid I must swallow my pride and describe Mayor Savage as 'based' and 'ftw'

Arivia posted:

That’s New Brunswick

Close enough lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh wait I got portapique mixed up with the other one my bad it’s Nova Scotia

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Calumanjaro posted:

Ontario is going great.

I can't believe this poo poo show. I want off Mr. Bones Wild Ride.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

1 credit is fine as long as they have to attend Bovine University

They should go to Porcine University.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Surely making the pigs dumber will have no adverse consequences

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

They should go to Porcine University.
I was worried the reference would be mistaken for a generic pigs reference. Yours is better and now that both have been posted I feel better. Thank you. Also lol your avatar re this topic

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I think they should just deputize every citizen.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arivia posted:

Oh wait I got portapique mixed up with the other one my bad it’s Nova Scotia

You can just say "The Maritimes" and it's generally understood you mean one of those provinces no one can name

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

You can just say "The Maritimes" and it's generally understood you mean one of those provinces no one can name

Well there's Potato Island, Not-Ireland, New McCain Frieswick, and... I cant think of a funny name for Nova Scotia sorry. Its just old people yelling at clouds waves.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

ZShakespeare posted:

I think they should just deputize every citizen.

I should have a gun and be allowed to arrest people for giving me “the business.”

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Well there's Potato Island, Not-Ireland, New McCain Frieswick, and... I cant think of a funny name for Nova Scotia sorry. Its just old people yelling at clouds waves.

Not Scotland

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
-waves hand vaguely, "welcome to the Maritimes" begins playing-

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Jesus christ.

https://twitter.com/CBCScott/status/1650977393044078605?s=20

https://twitter.com/CBCScott/status/1650977858653765636?s=20

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Just in time for next month's provincial election where Calgary is likely to be the deciding factor :magemage:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

a primate posted:

Not Scotland

Completely unrelated but I finally know where your avatar is from (because I just fused it in Pokemon Infinite Fusion).

Also I want to believe that Albertans wouldnt be so easily bought with such an obvious bribe.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Also I want to believe that Albertans wouldnt be so easily bought with such an obvious bribe.

Actually laughed out loud. :smith:

The whole election hinges on Calgary so they're going to get a whole bunch of poo poo promised that's never going to happen.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

How did you spend your Ralph bucks?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Handing out money didn't save Kenney's stupid fat rear end.

Ralph had a very Albertan sort of charisma, in many ways he was a proto-Trump, so it worked. None of his successors have had that, for better or worse.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

$800m in public money for a private entity to benefit the most sure will swing my vote!

Nationalize sports. Municipalize? Whatever the equivalent local term is.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

Ralph had a very Albertan sort of charisma,

Well, you said it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Pleads posted:

$800m in public money for a private entity to benefit the most sure will swing my vote!

Nationalize sports. Municipalize? Whatever the equivalent local term is.

Hey now, you are also forgetting free land for the private entity!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think it's a good idea to set the precedent that voters can be bribed by giving them things they want, so that left-wing parties might eventually come around to trying it.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Calumanjaro posted:

Ontario is going great.

Ok I was wondering how this tied in to his obsession about being the Mayor of Toronto but he announced it alongside the Toronto chief so this is definitely really about more officers in Toronto, probably in response to the TTC violence or something.

Look Toronto, you could have taken the hit for the rest of us and just made him Mayor. He literally doesn't care about anything in the rest of the province but we're getting splash damage. I'm not convinced that he could name more than 3 cities in Ontario.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

We're having an election right now, you just have to convince him to run

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

PT6A posted:

I think it's a good idea to set the precedent that voters can be bribed by giving them things they want, so that left-wing parties might eventually come around to trying it.

Wouldn’t want to do that because then politicians might have to actually deliver on something that isn’t wealth transfer to corps.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Since anytime Toronto (pronounced the wrong way) does something Ford doesn't like he just overrules it he basically is the Mayor. Just now developers from Windsor and Kingston can also bribe him (give his daughter thoughtful wedding presents)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

DaysBefore posted:

Since anytime Toronto (pronounced the wrong way) does something Ford doesn't like he just overrules it he basically is the Mayor. Just now developers from Windsor and Kingston can also bribe him (give his daughter thoughtful wedding presents)

The nakedness of the corruption in Ontario under Ford is really quite remarkable.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This news about Ontario police post-secondary requirements disappearing is pretty mask-off poo poo. We already knew cops were just empowered highschool bullies, but it's appalling to be this blatant about it. I do remember hearing someone tell me back when I was in college though, that some police departments prefer you not have attended Police Foundations... in which case what the gently caress is the program even for?

Fidelitious posted:

Look Toronto, you could have taken the hit for the rest of us and just made him Mayor. He literally doesn't care about anything in the rest of the province but we're getting splash damage. I'm not convinced that he could name more than 3 cities in Ontario.

We already take the hit for the rest of the province on a regular basis, so no thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Even people I know who are really pro cop are saying this is a really bad idea.