Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rappaport posted:

Jesus lived in a time when a one-man-band could conceivably do something, but in a world of drones and police happy to shoot anyone who threatens capital? Unfortunately their guns have a fairly convenient point and click interface, if you will, and people like Jesus are powerless against that.

At the time the gospels are being written down the Romans are killing everybody. Crucifying assloads of Jews. The siege of Masada is something happening around the same time 73-74. The destruction of the temple 70. That’s the context of the gospels being written down.

Jesus is a nobody, utterly unthreatening to Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Twincityhacker posted:

So... it's another case of people saying "Biden is doing a shitlib thing!!!" when it's actually just the administration trying to find the best way to go forward because the courts aren't going to rule in their favor and Congress isn't going to do anything helpful?

It was Biden's admin's choice to cancel debt via covid emergency and it was Biden's admin's choice to end the covid emergency

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

At the time the gospels are being written down the Romans are killing everybody. Crucifying assloads of Jews. The siege of Masada is something happening around the same time 73-74. The destruction of the temple 70. That’s the context of the gospels being written down.

Jesus is a nobody, utterly unthreatening to Rome.

You do realize that crucifying someone took at least a couple of soldiers doing the nailing and stuff? It was gruesome torture, but it's not like the casual mass murder afforded by guns available in America today.

And to your other point, which probably fits better in another thread, Jesus was a no-body, it was the Popes who had trials with dead Popes as defendants who shaped Europe's history for a long, long time.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The popes only stole power once the Empire began to falter under relentless Muslim attack.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Byzantine posted:

The popes only stole power once the Empire began to falter under relentless Muslim attack.

Nickname post combo :haw:

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

It was Biden's admin's choice to cancel debt via covid emergency and it was Biden's admin's choice to end the covid emergency

Because we're supposed to be in emergency footing forever - covid has multiple animal reserves and it mutates too quickly for an eradication program like polio ( which also has animal reserves ) to work. It's not going away, and it was doubtful that even if there was perfect circumstances it could have been stopped either.

As to using the emergency to cancel debt, they found a legal justifcation and did what they could as quickly as the could. Which people here keep bitching about the goverment not doing, as a messy solution being better than no solution. And it didn't work out this time.

EDIT: That's not an excuse to not try to do things that way, but sometimes it's just not going to work long term.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 25, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mendrian posted:

I've been having a lot of really infuriating conversations with libs about social welfare in the last couple of months, and I don't know if it's shaped by a broader message or what. Things like, "well, it would be good to lower rents, but how can we accomplish that without crashing the real estate market?" and when pointed out that people are starving and going homeless right now and incremental change isn't going to save those people, it's met with shrugs. Same for student loans and healthcare.

The only difference between libs and conservatives at this point is the timetable on which they choose to gently caress over vulnerable people.

They were probably working under the assumption that crashing the real estate market would lead to more people starving and going homeless, and that careless action (no matter how well-intentioned it may be) could actually worsen the problems you seek to fix. No doubt some kind of communication failure caused them to fail to convey that to you.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I think Tucker will do a Bill O’Reilly and retire. He’s not a power hungry narcissist who wants to rule the world. He’s a vain grifter. The dominion texts indicated that he hated his job and his audience, seeming to only be in it for the paycheck and loyalty to Murdoch, and now he has neither.
Bill O'Reilly does a daily podcast/radio show and a subscribers-only video show daily, up to and including today, talking about Tucker Carlson's firing. He released two books in 2022 and is accepting pre-orders on a new one for this fall. He didn't retire at all, he just has fallen off of the radar.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
tucker swanson carlson doesn't have to go the "vain grifting for money on right-wing podcasts" circuit. he's got that tv dinner money to live off of and without the option to scream hateful bullshit into 5% of the country's ears nightly, he might indeed just fall off the radar

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Did the entire rightwing mediasphere decide to just poo poo itself within the past week? Latest news is Steven Crowder getting divorced and is claiming that Candace Owens is extorting him.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Young Freud posted:

Did the entire rightwing mediasphere decide to just poo poo itself within the past week? Latest news is Steven Crowder getting divorced and is claiming that Candace Owens is extorting him.

It has been a crazy couple of weeks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m not happy until we lose Benny Shaps

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol if the young regressive wonderboy trinity of Ben, Chowder, and Walsh have their arranged marriages fall apart.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I hope Rush Limbaugh dies again.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

As far as I can tell, the COVID emergency was actually ended by a bill that passed the Senate with a veto-proof majority, despite Biden's public opposition to the bill.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Edge & Christian posted:

Bill O'Reilly does a daily podcast/radio show and a subscribers-only video show daily, up to and including today, talking about Tucker Carlson's firing. He released two books in 2022 and is accepting pre-orders on a new one for this fall. He didn't retire at all, he just has fallen off of the radar.
That sounds like retirement to me tbh. That’s what I’m going to do when I’m old. Write bad books, make bad podcasts.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 26, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

They were probably working under the assumption that crashing the real estate market would lead to more people starving and going homeless, and that careless action (no matter how well-intentioned it may be) could actually worsen the problems you seek to fix. No doubt some kind of communication failure caused them to fail to convey that to you.

That is likely how they rationalize it to themselves, yes. Liberals have had a long time to master the art of convincing themselves they're good people while stomping on the poor just as hard as the Bad Guys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Edge & Christian posted:

I looked at his YouTube channel just out of curiosity. His videos only average 10-14K views. There are reaction channels that do 2-3 times that. Definitely fallen off the radar.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Bill O's was one of foxes oldest talking heads, and his target demo was the oldest on the channel, tbh i dont think his web numbers are even legit people and just some troll farm doing its bare min, on a contract.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

PhazonLink posted:

Bill O's was one of foxes oldest talking heads, and his target demo was the oldest on the channel, tbh i dont think his web numbers are even legit people and just some troll farm doing its bare min, on a contract.

Just as a reality, a lot of Bill O’s primary demographic has passed away in the years since he was cancelled.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Main Paineframe posted:

I'd really like to see the numbers on this idea. Who are they worried about, the mom and pop landlords? You also seem to be giving them quite a lot of benefit of the doubt there.

If the student loan forgiveness attempts are any indication, I think even the establishment Dems are realising they need to at least appear to be doing something about how turbofucked everyone under 45 is, but I think they've been doing the opposite for so long they genuinely don't really understand how, and aren't exactly in a big hurry to figure it out as long as some token measures are somewhere out there. Plus, there'll always be some op-eds of smiling young people talking about how they bought their first house with just gumption and hard work and a little six figure loan from mom and dad instead of spending it all on avocado toast to assure them everyone is really just a lazy whiner.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Automata 10 Pack posted:

That sounds like retirement to me tbh. That’s what I’m going to do when I’m old. Write bad books, make bad podcasts.
He's still doing the same things with the same frequency that he did before, just with a much smaller audience. I don't know if that's most people's definition of 'retirement', though I guess if you go from doing 100 arena-filling concerts a year or managing a Michelin starred restaurant 80 hours a week, to doing 100 live concerts in high school gymnasiums, or managing an Arby's for 80 hours a week, there's probably less pressure. Doesn't feel like retirement though.

Though like many 73 year old Arby's managers, it's possible Bill is just doing it for the love of the game.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Yiggy posted:

Just as a reality, a lot of Bill O’s primary demographic has passed away in the years since he was cancelled.

lol, i hope its just from old age and not anti Roni issues.

like I hope as a freelancer not under the thumb of Murdoch, he wouldnt do anti medical science poo poo*. like he doesnt know how the moon and tides work, but he knows vacs work.

*I do recall during the Obama years, Fox did dip its toe into antivac stuff during a particularly bad flu season, but then quickly reversed course when it was noted Flu kills olds more.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

PhazonLink posted:

lol, i hope its just from old age and not anti Roni issues.

like I hope as a freelancer not under the thumb of Murdoch, he wouldnt do anti medical science poo poo*. like he doesnt know how the moon and tides work, but he knows vacs work.

*I do recall during the Obama years, Fox did dip its toe into antivac stuff during a particularly bad flu season, but then quickly reversed course when it was noted Flu kills olds more.

I’m sure the antivax stuff certainly doesn’t help, but the trend was there even before covid. Assuming his demo would have been middle aged white folk, they are one of the few demographics for whom life expectancy has gone down, reported as a rise in deaths of despair from health effects of substance abuse plus suicides. Link : https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/03/23/521083335/the-forces-driving-middle-aged-white-peoples-deaths-of-despair. Anecdotally too, I know the fox brained seniors in my life that tuned in regularly for o’reilly have for the most part shuffled off the coil.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Glenn Beck did a few weeks of antivax stuff back when the ACA was about to be passed, then backed off.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Tucker is out. Glenn is back in.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Main Paineframe posted:

How do you figure a housing market crash would increase homelessness?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

How do you figure a housing market crash would increase homelessness?

Sounds like a good question for Mandrian to ask them the next time he gets into an argument with them, instead of writing them off as "frustrating libs" whose position could only be explained by a hatred for homeless people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Generally speaking, depending on the action in question, a major shift in housing policy, including something that drops activity in the overall market, results in freezes or major contractions in new construction...which may in turn paradoxically be used to raise prices on existing completed property. It's a market where it's very hard to incentivize any part of it to actually lower prices at the endpoint. Many intervention actions can have this sort of effect, either directly or because sophisticated real estate actors in a given area are able to artificially drive prices up and redirect the backlash onto the policymakers who introduced the action, while riding out the costs. This is before we get to capture or straight corruption in the politics of an area, or any of the rest of the playbook used by large real estate investors. All of this is intensely jurisdiction-dependent, usually at the muni or state level.

Solutions tend to involve bypassing the perverse constituent interests, which in the short to medium term often means getting policymakers elected who don't talk about housing policy as a core platform element, but who are nonetheless interested in improvements, and then having the jurisdiction divest power into a zoning and planning bureaucracy that's extremely ringfenced against electoral pressure or capture (usually in my experience at the county or multicounty level where there are fewer boundaries to gently caress with). Activists then work through the bureaucracy's processes and work to maintain aligned incentives for all directly elected figures to not touch the matter. None of this is fast, easy, direct, or particularly appealing to people who like to use the word "incrementalism" or equivocate about the two parties.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 26, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

volts5000 posted:

I looked at his YouTube channel just out of curiosity. His videos only average 10-14K views. There are reaction channels that do 2-3 times that. Definitely fallen off the radar.

There are reaction channels that do 5m views per video

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bernie endorses Sleepy Joe, will not run for president in 2024 (link to AP news)

quote:

Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont said Tuesday that he would forgo another presidential bid of his own and instead endorse President Joe Biden’s reelection.

The leading progressive, who was Biden’s chief rival in the 2020 Democratic presidential primary, told The Associated Press that he would “do everything I can to see the president is reelected.”

“The last thing this country needs is a Donald Trump or some other right-wing demagogue who is going to try to undermine American democracy or take away a woman’s right to choose, or not address the crisis of gun violence, or racism, sexism or homophobia,” Sanders said in an interview. “So, I’m in to do what I can to make sure that the president is reelected.”

Biden on Tuesday announced his decision to seek a second term, even as polls suggest that voters in both parties don’t want him to run again. The Democratic president will face the winner of the crowded Republican primary, which features former President Donald Trump and a half dozen lower-profile conservatives.

For much of the year, Sanders had left open the possibility of running again himself. On Tuesday, he said that he would not run and he discouraged any another high-profile progressive candidates from doing so either.

Bolding mine. Vote blue no matter who, huh?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Welp. not that surprising, but that sucks

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Probably for the best, I really feel like Bernie burned whatever goodwill and trust he had with people last time, what with the refusing to defend himself or really call bullshit on any of the countless falsehoods he was letting his Good Personal Friend Joe Biden get away with. He never went on any kind of counterattack, and then immediately sold out to the establishment he was supposed to be the voice against.

If he had bothered to throw a single punch back in 2020, I'd probably feel differently, but you can't let yourself get walked over for an entire election cycle and then expect people to believe you'd still fight for them.
I'd say he probably realizes that himself, but given the way the Dems have been going all in on "You love Joe Biden, the beatings will continue until Joe's approval improves", they might have just outright told Bernie what the score was going to be.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I'd like to live in a world where Bernie still has the juice but this was absolutely certain

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bernie did the best he could. While it was good enough in a lot of ways, it wasn't good enough for the presidency. Would I rather live in a world where he got elected? Sure. But that's not this world, and I'm not upset that he's just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Bernie was never going to run an insurgent campaign against a party-acclaimed incumbent running for re-election. In both of his other runs at the presidency he has bowed out and endorsed the establishment candidate when his own victory chances got slim, and he'd be basically starting from that position here.

Plus the man is going to be 82 god damned years old and I seriously don't think he has the gas in the tank for that kind of fight even if he was willing to do so.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bernie's real old, there's no talking around that, but the bit I bolded seemed disheartening on a different level. If he's saying no "progressives" should run against uncle Joe, he's still throwing around his weight as a progressive firebrand of yesteryear.

Of course since uncle Joe is committed to running now, a primary challenger would be wasting their time I guess (since this isn't really 1968 levels of crazy just yet), but who are the Dems priming for 2028? Kamala is a disaster, and big-name senators like Bernie and Liz are olds.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rappaport posted:

Bernie's real old, there's no talking around that, but the bit I bolded seemed disheartening on a different level. If he's saying no "progressives" should run against uncle Joe, he's still throwing around his weight as a progressive firebrand of yesteryear.

Of course since uncle Joe is committed to running now, a primary challenger would be wasting their time I guess (since this isn't really 1968 levels of crazy just yet), but who are the Dems priming for 2028? Kamala is a disaster, and big-name senators like Bernie and Liz are olds.

Kamala being a disaster isn't going to stop them from continuing to force her on us by any means necessary.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
This is just speculation, but maybe after seeing how narrow Biden's win was, they're reluctant to put forth anyone who might split the votes and give the win to the GOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

the_steve posted:

Kamala being a disaster isn't going to stop them from continuing to force her on us by any means necessary.

Who is forcing Kamala on anybody? Haven’t seen anybody give her much support and if anything most people in Democratic leadership don’t think highly of her.