Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Maze of Clouds
Sep 15, 2022

Sir Nose posted:

There's a scene like that in "Knock On Wood" with Danny Kaye, but it's in color.

EDIT: This lovely filmed-off-a-tv-or-movie-screen is the only clip I could find:

https://www.facebook.com/theplacetobefordannykaye/videos/knock-on-wood-hands-under-the-table/1057469178011906/
Thanks, that must be it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.
Okay, sorry in advance for the shocking lack of any solid detail here. Everything here is pretty nebulous - I've bolded the part that I'm 99% sure of.

Probably released somewhere between 2000-2010, but I might be out by up to ten years in either direction. As far as genre goes, I'm really unsure - possibly a comedy or light drama. I'm fairly sure it had a contemporary setting, and probably set in America.

There's a scene (I think within the first 15 minutes or so - I've a very vague feeling there might have been superimposed opening credits during the scene) which includes a bed (I think - it could have been a sofa). There may be two people on the bed/sofa. Or maybe one. Or maybe none.

Underneath the bed/sofa it looks like the face of a hiding crewmember is visible.

In the audio commentary a man points out this apparent face, but dismisses it as pareidolia caused by something under the bed/sofa
- crumbled clothes? Trash? I've a vague memory that this man was the sole commentator (presumably the director) but I can't say for sure.

And... that's all I've got. I've been trying to rack my brains for anything more helpful, but have come up empty.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1 posted:

Okay, sorry in advance for the shocking lack of any solid detail here. Everything here is pretty nebulous - I've bolded the part that I'm 99% sure of.

Probably released somewhere between 2000-2010, but I might be out by up to ten years in either direction. As far as genre goes, I'm really unsure - possibly a comedy or light drama. I'm fairly sure it had a contemporary setting, and probably set in America.

There's a scene (I think within the first 15 minutes or so - I've a very vague feeling there might have been superimposed opening credits during the scene) which includes a bed (I think - it could have been a sofa). There may be two people on the bed/sofa. Or maybe one. Or maybe none.

Underneath the bed/sofa it looks like the face of a hiding crewmember is visible.

In the audio commentary a man points out this apparent face, but dismisses it as pareidolia caused by something under the bed/sofa
- crumbled clothes? Trash? I've a vague memory that this man was the sole commentator (presumably the director) but I can't say for sure.

And... that's all I've got. I've been trying to rack my brains for anything more helpful, but have come up empty.

Are you thinking of when Steven Spielberg is visible eating popcorn on the sofa at the end of The Lost World: Jurassic Park? (His reflection is visible on the TV as Malcolm and Kelly are watching Hammond's talk.)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I have absolutely no idea when I saw this or if it was film or tv but a murder mystery that hinges on a clapper turning lights on or off because of a gunshot?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

1 posted:

Stuck on You.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338466/trivia/?ref_=tt_ql_3

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Timby posted:

Are you thinking of when Steven Spielberg is visible eating popcorn on the sofa at the end of The Lost World: Jurassic Park? (His reflection is visible on the TV as Malcolm and Kelly are watching Hammond's talk.)

Sorry, that's not it - but that's a fun one I've never noticed and will look out for next time I watch it.

HOLY poo poo, that's it, thank you so much - trying to remember this has been annoying me for months!

Eta: I've just realised (a month later!) why I was struggling to remember the number of people on the bed ...

Pilchenstein posted:

I have absolutely no idea when I saw this or if it was film or tv but a murder mystery that hinges on a clapper turning lights on or off because of a gunshot?

There's something involving a clapper being triggered by gunshot in a Columbo episode with Oskar Werner - full synopsis here.

1 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 3, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I get not wanting to admit to a mistake but trying to pass this off as a baseball glove is a bit rich

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

1 posted:

There's something involving a clapper being triggered by gunshot in a Columbo episode with Oskar Werner - full synopsis here.
Think this is it, you're a star :toot:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I get not wanting to admit to a mistake but trying to pass this off as a baseball glove is a bit rich

There's probably a way to integrate that movie into the Twin Peaks canon.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The IMDB page lists it as a prank, but I can't see it as coming off as anything else but eerie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The "butt vacuum" thread in GBS reminded me of either a gif or scene from something where someone's butt implant was upside down, it looked like an upside down pie plate under their skin, and they flip it completely around to look normal.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? It popped into my head, and I thought "ah, yeah, the fake butt, from.... drat, where is that from? Fffffffff...." and had to ask here.

Edit: nm, looks to be a viral internet clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe2roR8C0P4

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 11, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The "butt vacuum" thread in GBS reminded me of either a gif or scene from something where someone's butt implant was upside down, it looked like an upside down pie plate under their skin, and they flip it completely around to look normal.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? It popped into my head, and I thought "ah, yeah, the fake butt, from.... drat, where is that from? Fffffffff...." and had to ask here.

Edit: nm, looks to be a viral internet clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe2roR8C0P4

JESUS :stare:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm trying to remember this movie, it's a scene that's been playing out in my head and I just can't remember it. Once I get the name it will be so much better for me.

It's almost certainly an 80s or very early 90s movie.

There's a father and either his wife or son. There has been some financial problem and they're struggling with money (iirc this may have been engineered by the father, but I'm not sure). They invent a stationary bike with a screen on it (so that people feel like they're going somewhere when riding) and are very excited about the prospect. When they go to discuss it with someone, they see that they're already selling that kind of bike. "How's it selling?" someone asks, and the salesman says "Oh, very well."

That's it, that's the scene. It's driving me crazy because I can see certain details but have forgotten everyone's faces and the context! Memory, man!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Request from the GBS "Help me find my white whale" thread

sundaymorning posted:

I've been trying to find the first 'horror' or 'scary' movie I ever watched. I watched it when I was like maybe 12 or early teens in early 2010s I think. I want to say it revolved mainly around a group of kids that were around 10 years old, and there was this 'monster' that lived in the tunnels under the town and would come out and kill people. I think the kids or one of them at least explores the tunnels towards the end (or they might have been throughout much of the movie actually) and finds the monster and it is revealed its like some guy that is maybe quite physically scarred or something and mentally not all there and was maybe abused or shunned in the past or something and that's why he is some murderous guy living in the tunnels now???
I remember a VERY significant side plot is that one of the kids is in a single parent household, his mom being the single parent, and the mom is revealed to be like..... sexually abusive towards him I think? I watched this as a kid and I don't think I realised the gravity of how hosed up that was at the time and how badly the movie probably dealt with such a serious topic like that.
I might be misremembering parts but I don't think anything major. I haven't been able to find anything by searching for horror movies for underground tunnels or horror movies where children are abused or anything, so I feel like someone is only gonna be able to get this if they also saw the movie but actually remember what its called.

I'd really love to be able to find it because it actually seemed to have some interesting themes/topics but I am almost SURE that it was some incredibly crappy b-movie that did not deal with the themes well at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sounds like somebody put Castle Freak and It in the machine from The Fly

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Request from the GBS "Help me find my white whale" thread

It sounds a lot like Ghoul, which I haven't seen the movie adaptation of, just read the book. So I have no idea how much the movie used of the source material

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

codyclarke posted:

It sounds a lot like Ghoul, which I haven't seen the movie adaptation of, just read the book. So I have no idea how much the movie used of the source material

Looks like we might have a winner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b75-lgs3cMM

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Very amused that someone is posting here who watched their first horror movie in 2012 on Chiller

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DeimosRising posted:

Very amused that someone is posting here who watched their first horror movie in 2012 on Chiller

I don't want anyone here to feel old, but someone who was 10 years old in 2012 is now 35 years old.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

I don't want anyone here to feel old, but someone who was 10 years old in 2012 is now 35 years old.

Might want to check your math there, chief.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
35 is the new 21.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Timby posted:

Might want to check your math there, chief.

It's been a long decade, 35 might be lowballing it

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
My brother recommended me a movie a while back and like an idiot I totally forgot to save the name and now he's forgotten it to.

All I can remember is it's a 70s/80s era film. I think the central plot was that there is a race or perhaps truckers were involved and a central point is that the main character is high on meth or speed or some other stimulant. More of a gritty vibe, possibly cyberpunk or dystopian, might have started with a C.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Convoy?

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

I don't think that's it. This was much darker, kind of like a death race vibe and irrc the fact that the main character was high on meth was a pretty big part of the plot. Had kind of a grindhouse vibe to it from the trailer.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I didn't watch it but searching brought up a movie called Carquake in UK, Cannonball in US (which I guess was a precursor to Cannonball Run)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

magic cactus posted:

My brother recommended me a movie a while back and like an idiot I totally forgot to save the name and now he's forgotten it to.

All I can remember is it's a 70s/80s era film. I think the central plot was that there is a race or perhaps truckers were involved and a central point is that the main character is high on meth or speed or some other stimulant. More of a gritty vibe, possibly cyberpunk or dystopian, might have started with a C.

Vanishing Point is a very likely candidate. No trucks, but definitely gritty, somewhat dystopian, and involving a high speed journey with a driver on crank.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Jedit posted:

Vanishing Point is a very likely candidate. No trucks, but definitely gritty, somewhat dystopian, and involving a high speed journey with a driver on crank.

That's the one, my bother literally just texted me the same answer a few seconds ago. Thanks!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

gently caress yes, I finally got one!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm trying to remember this movie, it's a scene that's been playing out in my head and I just can't remember it. Once I get the name it will be so much better for me.

It's almost certainly an 80s or very early 90s movie.

There's a father and either his wife or son. There has been some financial problem and they're struggling with money (iirc this may have been engineered by the father, but I'm not sure). They invent a stationary bike with a screen on it (so that people feel like they're going somewhere when riding) and are very excited about the prospect. When they go to discuss it with someone, they see that they're already selling that kind of bike. "How's it selling?" someone asks, and the salesman says "Oh, very well."

That's it, that's the scene. It's driving me crazy because I can see certain details but have forgotten everyone's faces and the context! Memory, man!

I pasted your comment into ChatGPT and got this:

quote:

The movie you're thinking of is "The Manhattan Project" (1986), directed by Marshall Brickman. In the film, a high school student named Paul (played by Christopher Collet) builds a nuclear bomb as part of a science project, with the help of a scientist named John Mathewson (played by John Lithgow).

The scene you're describing happens early on in the film when John and his wife Elizabeth (played by Jill Eikenberry) are discussing financial troubles with their son's guidance counselor. John introduces the idea of a stationary bike with a screen, and the counselor tells them that it's already being sold. When John asks how it's selling, the counselor responds, "Oh, very well."

"The Manhattan Project" is a mix of science fiction, thriller, and comedy, and has become a cult classic since its release in 1986. I hope this helps!

I have no idea if it’s correct or just entirely made up AI bullshitting.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 1, 2023

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

magic cactus posted:

You already have your answer, but if you want an 80s dystopian cyberpunk trucker racing movie, I've got you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehqNK1RgvUQ

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

short film in color iirc, I would say no earlier than 60's, no later than 80s-early 90s

It's about a cowboy dude in his....later 20s/30s? He wants to become a rodeo rider dude and the beginning is him talking to older dudes who tell him what's what so he seems like a young buck in comparison

when he does his ride it goes slow mo to really drive home how much he's the main character and help us get in his headspace

by the time it's over after he falls the announcer says some dismal time and turns out after all that hullabaloo he didn't even place

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Hannibal Rex posted:

You already have your answer, but if you want an 80s dystopian cyberpunk trucker racing movie, I've got you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehqNK1RgvUQ

Oh hell yes this looks awesome, adding to the watch list, thanks!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I pasted your comment into ChatGPT and got this:

I have no idea if it’s correct or just entirely made up AI bullshitting.

Complete AI bullshit. Manhattan project has single mom meet cute a guy that works at a nuclear lab. Son breaks in and steals super plutonium to make a nuclear bomb to win a science fair.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
In the old thread I has asked about a movie where a woman is doing a striptease, brings out a screen to strip behind, and then is shot from off stage. I'm pretty sure someone suggested Marlowe (1969) with James Garner, and I think it used to be free on youtube, but I scrubbed through it and didn't see the scene so I gave up. It's not on any streaming, but I was finally able to watch it, and sure enough it's the last scene where Rita Moreno is dancing in the club and James Garner accuses her of being the killer, then she gets shot I guess I didn't see it because it's literally the last scene of the movie. It's not exactly as I remember it from like 1993 when I saw it on a small tube TV while on vacation in Colorado, but it's gotta be it. So thanks to whichever goon guided me in the correct direction :pray: Oh also it has a scene where James Garner calls Bruce Lee gay and Bruce Lee gets really mad so that's certainly a sign of the times, or if it's in Raymond Chandler's original work.

I also saw another film with a scene from my childhood that had stuck in me head, it's the F-16 scene from The Jewel of the Nile, where Michael Douglas drives an F-16 around a town and shoots up non-Ghaddafi's thugs. I guess since that movie was panned when it came out, as we went into the 2000s it never got much airtime on cable so I never saw it again. Pretty sure I also saw that scene while on vacation.

Arcella fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 2, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arcella posted:

I also saw another film with a scene from my childhood that had stuck in me head, it's the F-16 scene from The Jewel of the Nile, where Michael Douglas drives an F-16 around a town and shoots up non-Ghaddafi's thugs. I guess since that movie was panned when it came out, as we went into the 2000s it never got much airtime on cable so I never saw it again. Pretty sure I also saw that scene while on vacation.

The Romancing The Stone movies were such a weird loving time. Michael Douglas pulled rank and hired some young up-and-coming director recently out of film school called Robert Zemeckis who'd been kicking around Hollywood for a few years, directing two low budget films which were box office disappointments and recently working for 20th Century Fox on developing Cocoon but not doing much else. He'd also been unsuccessfully shopping around some wacky scifi time travel script which every single studio had passed on and he'd lobbied Disney to direct some weird animated rabbit script they'd just bought but they didn't like the cut of his jib and told him to scram, so he'd been having trouble finding work until Douglas threw him a bone. However, when Zemeckis later held a screening of Romancing The Stone for the 20th Century Fox studio execs they hated it so much they kicked him off Cocoon and passed that along to Ron Howard instead.
When Romancing The Stone finally got released it was a surprise box office smash and turned out to be 20th Century Fox's biggest hit for 1984. Zemeckis finally had the clout to get his scifi script greenlit and was welcomed back to Disney to direct that animated rabbit film, which was how we got Back To The Future and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. :v:

20th Century Fox kept trying to cram the lightning back in the bottle by making more sequels to Romancing The Stone without Zemeckis but Jewel of the Nile wasn't a huge success and the 3rd film was slated for a 1987 production but got stalled and then put into turnaround, and further attempts to get it off the ground in the 00s (starring Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl) also stalled. Last I heard they were trying to develop it into a TV series.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Hughlander posted:

Complete AI bullshit. Manhattan project has single mom meet cute a guy that works at a nuclear lab. Son breaks in and steals super plutonium to make a nuclear bomb to win a science fair.

Yeah, note to everyone: ChatGPT is not a general AI. It doesn't know what a movie is, or a scene, or anything like that. Unless a large organization had bothered to write a full transcription/novelization of every film ever made it couldn't answer these questions with any kind of accuracy.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Romancing the Stone

Yeah I liked Romancing the Stone well enough, Danny Devito of course does such a great job they bring him back in the sequel for no good reason...Jewel of the Nile, on the other hand, was loving awful. I guess in the early 80s after the success of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Hollywood was throwing money at anyone to make an adventure film.

Arcella fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 3, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Alan Smithee posted:

short film in color iirc, I would say no earlier than 60's, no later than 80s-early 90s

It's about a cowboy dude in his....later 20s/30s? He wants to become a rodeo rider dude and the beginning is him talking to older dudes who tell him what's what so he seems like a young buck in comparison

when he does his ride it goes slow mo to really drive home how much he's the main character and help us get in his headspace

by the time it's over after he falls the announcer says some dismal time and turns out after all that hullabaloo he didn't even place

8 seconds?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109021/

It's 1994, but takes place in 1987

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah, note to everyone: ChatGPT is not a general AI. It doesn't know what a movie is, or a scene, or anything like that. Unless a large organization had bothered to write a full transcription/novelization of every film ever made it couldn't answer these questions with any kind of accuracy.

Yeah, when I read a few articles on it it was so hyped up. I logged on and thought I could get it to write a movie script amalgamation of two different films with ease. But it doesn't know how to do that at all.

I've asked it dozens of surface level stat questions and it again failed and/or was full of errors.

I have asked it to list underrated movies and have gotten some interesting results like The Great Silence and others I'm forgetting. Not sure how it decided on those recommendations.