Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

metasynthetic posted:

Expanded Foods does work (at least for me and some other people that have posted in the mods' comment section), but you may have to try an older version of the Culinary Artillery mod.

Checked and yup, how'd I miss that comment on the mod page earlier. I'll give that a shot tonight, thanks! Huh I already had Culinary Artillery 1.0.11 in use with Expanded Foods latest version so might be something else. Testing continues... EDIT: 1.0.10 worked!

Might also check out exactly how bumpy my world is before I get too settled and drop in a worldgen mod too if it looks annoying and just creative mode back to where I was.

KariOhki fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

FWIW, I don't think "Upheaval" is actually related to that weird stochastic "BIG OLD JAGGY PILLARS" region that likes to generate every so often. It seems like sometimes the mapgen gets stuck at some kind of minimum feature size and bounces off of it when it happens. Upheaval at 100% seemed to actually produce sort of larger, more sweeping features in general.

Honestly whatever keeps generating some of the more aggressively bad map features should be tuned out... I wish I knew more about it to try and tweak settings into a mod. I do want dramatic features - that's the best place to creatively build! - but the super janky/jagged regions really do pop up too much.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

KariOhki posted:

Checked and yup, how'd I miss that comment on the mod page earlier. I'll give that a shot tonight, thanks! Huh I already had Culinary Artillery 1.0.11 in use with Expanded Foods latest version so might be something else. Testing continues...

Try the latest version of ACA, I did and it works for me.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I did give that a shot but got a crash to desktop when also enabling Expanded Foods, when before the game would just stop loading and go back to the title screen. 1.0.10 (two versions back) ended up working for me with Expanded Foods.

Added in a worldgen mod and it's time to actually poke around in a new place and see if it takes another 60 hours to reach iron!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, Carry On is such a good mod. Being able to lug one of the storage jugs around on my back to plop it down in the forest while I fill up with Mushrooms before lugging it home is great. Really liking the interactivity of all the crafting stuff in this, currently working towards getting enough copper via panning to I guess make a pick first?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah, you probably want a pick first, so you can go mine native copper deposits and keep your supply going. Pay attention to the little stones scattered around everywhere, sometimes they'll have little colored flecks in them, and if you look right at them it says something like 'native copper bits in basalt'. That always means there's a deposit below, generally 5 - 10 meters down -they're shaped like irregular pancakes, wide and thin with a little noise. That sort of surface deposit is usually around 10 meters wide, and is usually enough to get around 10 ingots per deposit (although ore richness will affect that a bunch.) You'll need a hammer to smash the mined ore into usable nuggets though.

You can find other things that way too, but non-copper ores can be much further down and take more work to find. Prospecting pick helps with those a bunch. Other good early metal tools are the saw and chisel, since they enable a lot of new crafting options. Shears and scythes can speed up your straw / stick harvesting a bunch too.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

explosivo posted:

drat, Carry On is such a good mod. Being able to lug one of the storage jugs around on my back to plop it down in the forest while I fill up with Mushrooms before lugging it home is great. Really liking the interactivity of all the crafting stuff in this, currently working towards getting enough copper via panning to I guess make a pick first?

To really be in the copper “age” you need both a pick and a hammer, first to dig out the nuggets and second to crush them into a smeltable nugget.

But if you’re planning on only finding the shallow surface/near surface copper, just having the pick isn’t terrible. You’ll get a few free nuggets from finding shallow deposits and enough of that might push you over the edge to getting your hammer. I liked this over having to pan. Panning gets you a lot of fun things but it’s super tedious imo.

Also a tip I had forgotten until hunting copper: don’t forget that certain ores can only spawn in certain rock types. I wondered where my surface copper was until I got out of a poo poo bauxite biome and ran into a bunch of patches almost immediately.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

metasynthetic posted:

Yeah, you probably want a pick first, so you can go mine native copper deposits and keep your supply going. Pay attention to the little stones scattered around everywhere, sometimes they'll have little colored flecks in them, and if you look right at them it says something like 'native copper bits in basalt'. That always means there's a deposit below, generally 5 - 10 meters down -they're shaped like irregular pancakes, wide and thin with a little noise. That sort of surface deposit is usually around 10 meters wide, and is usually enough to get around 10 ingots per deposit (although ore richness will affect that a bunch.) You'll need a hammer to smash the mined ore into usable nuggets though.

I did fortunately find one of those surface deposits near my base dirt hole with a door and marked it on the map so I was planning on going back to do a sweep with the pickaxe once I managed to make myself one. Good to know that I'll need a hammer too though.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This is on vanilla/standard ore density settings. I don't think I'll ever see this again, and its beautiful.

e:

I'll have enough tools for awhile. Deep mining is sometimes cruel but hitting a massive copper vein with a tin vein stuck inside of it has given me absolutely absurd amounts of bronze (and some extra copper.) Don't miss my hotbar too.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 25, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hoo-lee I just realized I can open other containers while looking in a container with the mouse cursor. I thought we were operating under minecraft rules where you have to open one chest at a time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The fires of industry are bright.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 25, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So did they build this game from scratch to look and sound and feel like a very well done minecraft mod ? I can't help but wonder how a game that is so similar to Minecraft in so many ways is allowed to exist as a standalone product without catching at least a little bit of heat from MS/Mojang. This isn't a dig at the game or the style at all, I think it all works very well and I'm having a great time with it I just keep wondering if they've ever addressed this or talked about how it's legally distinct enough from Minecraft to be sold as a separate product made by a different studio.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's not sharing art or code. You can't legally protect abstract stuff like game mechanics. And it certainly helps that VS is not really that close to Minecraft except superficially.

And there are game engines that are much closer that are also fine https://www.minetest.net

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Antigravitas posted:

It's not sharing art or code. You can't legally protect abstract stuff like game mechanics. And it certainly helps that VS is not really that close to Minecraft except superficially.

And there are game engines that are much closer that are also fine https://www.minetest.net

Gotcha, thanks. I figured this was the case, I just didn't know if there was shared code somewhere in there that just slipped in or if it was indeed all built from the ground up.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's very much not even close to running like minecraft under the hood because the devs are explicitly people who used to make minecraft mods and got tired of how lovely minecraft was at handling those things

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It’s a valid question but any time someone asks it about a lot of games in a lot of genres I can’t help but read it like this;

Someone else, 30 years ago, posted:

So did they build this game from scratch to look and sound and feel like a very well done Doom wad ? I can't help but wonder how a game that is so similar to Doom in so many ways is allowed to exist as a standalone product without catching at least a little bit of heat from id software. This isn't a dig at the game or the style at all, I think it all works very well and I'm having a great time with it I just keep wondering if they've ever addressed this or talked about how it's legally distinct enough from Doom to be sold as a separate product made by a different studio.

Anyways I guess it’s time to start up a fresh game of this tonight.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

explosivo posted:

Gotcha, thanks. I figured this was the case, I just didn't know if there was shared code somewhere in there that just slipped in or if it was indeed all built from the ground up.

Not to beat a dead horse, but their website has a nice blurb about their history.

Vintage Story posted:

Vintage Story was created with the desire to push the envelope of the survival voxel game genre. This genre, established by that one game most of us know and love, also hit just the right chord for Tyron and Saraty, which they played together with great joy for several years. Not being satisfied with the direction this game was taking, they created the mod Butterfly Mania that introduced hundreds of collectible butterflies to liven up the game world and to keep the game interesting. These modding efforts then evolved into a total conversion mod called Vintagecraft that came with its own terrain generation, blocks, crafting mechanics and a slow progression system. The limitations of the 3rd party modding api became more and more apparent however.

In 2015, Tyron was hired by Hypixel to work on their standalone game Hytale, however the game in planning was also not the experience either of them envisioned. And thus, in February 2016, Tyron left Hypixel and began building a new game engine with the goal of turning the vision of Vintagecraft into a stand alone game. Since then we have grown from one programmer to a small team of passionate game developers.

Now, 6 years later since its inception, we still feel like we have barely scratched the surfaces of what is possible. We look forward to exploring these new avenues for many years to come!

Additionally, the game is made in C# as opposed to Mojang using Java (or the Microsoft Bedrock version of Minecraft being in C++).

Surface observation makes them look similarly, but the games are incredibly different in terms of game mechanics and what is going on under the hood.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

thanks for the replies, I wasn't trying to be an rear end in a top hat about it or imply any wrongdoings on the developers I was just wondering. Now if you'll excuse me I have to kite a bear away from my corpse so I have enough time to pick up my gear and also slowly pick up a storage vessel. The predators in this are no joke.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah recovering your stuff after getting eaten is an ordeal, but at least it's better than not watching your step and falling down a sinkhole 500 feet into hell. At least your drops stay on the ground for a pretty long time before despawning.

Bears are easy-ish to handle because they're both slower than wolves and won't pursue you very far. And when fighting them, there's a foolproof tactic to follow: don't

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think people mostly just find the mention of it being similar to minecraft funny at this point, so don't worry. when i link stuff for the game elsewhere there's always going to be someone who instantly goes 'oh it's like weird minecraft' without hesitation. to be fair to them, it very much does come off like it on the surface and a lot of the stuff going on is very much 'advanced minecraft modpack' territory in some respects

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Were bears nerfed in a recent patch? I distinctly remember a bear being able to chase down a normal speed seraph.

I finally found two predators near my homestead, a pair of pandas!

I now have 4 huge hides.

They were a lot easier to deal with than the black and grizzly bears I've encountered in the north. A pair of copper spears thrown at the bear and circling around to pick them up worked great.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah my base is in the middle of bear spawning grounds apparently, and a lot of the good stuff nearby is in bushy rough terrain so they can sneak up on me pretty easily. I do like the more natural feeling danger of predators vs the annoyance of drifters, so I turned those off. About to make some iron arrows so I can stop spending so much time kiting with spears.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Being able to keep your inventory after death is also the kind of quality of life option we decided to go for pretty early on.

Here's a troll I chiseled up for my loft. It's quite small so I don't quite know what to put in there, but a friend requested I build one for when he visits, so

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i pretty much always enable keeping my poo poo if i die because corpse runs are rarely fun for me in a way that actually adds to an experience. especially in a game like VS where everything takes dedicated effort to get going.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I kinda wish there was an inbetween option where you lose everything in your bags but you keep everything in your hotbars and the bags themselves.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

What is the argument against keep inventory on? I was just making up a new world and I looked long and hard at that rule and realized I have never felt a corpse run added to my experience in any way. It doesn't seem to add to the survival feeling, it's just a punishing gameplay convention. To those who prefer it, why? Honest question.

To make up for it I turned gravity on for soil. I think that's gonna be super obnoxious, sure, but should also lead to some more immersive and interesting scenarios.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

On a personal level I like it only because I don’t trust myself not to use it as a free home teleport. I hate corpse runs, but it keeps me on my toes to not die when I’m really out there. It sucks, and it really is a detriment to my game, which makes me very very careful about not dying and makes me plan on not getting lost/stuck somewhere when I go on a little expedition for something, and I need to scavenge or carry food to come back. I plan my tools and inventory a little more.

Now if I die out there it absolutely sucks and I hate it, but I still prefer that than “hey wolves and I’m ready to go home” because I would definitely cheat. I dunno, I guess I just like the higher stakes against a punishment.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Dropping items on death raises the stakes, and thereby immersion factor, depending on your personal tastes. That said, I did decide to set keep inventory on this time, because I want to actually get to the steel age, which I burned out on before reaching last time, and losing inventory far from home is a huge timesink (also bummer.) I do have to consciously maintain discipline against using it as a free teleport home button though.

And yeah, I actually really like soil gravity on, it makes building a little more constrained / immersive, and it leads to some really fun 'oh poo poo' moments. I was running to my iron cave, and there was an unsupported soil section I didn't know about from the particular direction I approached from. The ground collapsed, leaving me in a 30 meter freefall that I was sure was going to kill me, but for a chance pool of water at the bottom. Then I had to contend with all the dirt piling on top of me. It was a great moment.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 26, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ah that beginning of the game blues of "make a map, wander around a bit, find nowhere I want to build, restart with new map, wander around a bot, find nowhere I want to build, restart..."

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

On a personal level I like it only because I don’t trust myself not to use it as a free home teleport. I hate corpse runs, but it keeps me on my toes to not die when I’m really out there. It sucks, and it really is a detriment to my game, which makes me very very careful about not dying and makes me plan on not getting lost/stuck somewhere when I go on a little expedition for something, and I need to scavenge or carry food to come back. I plan my tools and inventory a little more.

Now if I die out there it absolutely sucks and I hate it, but I still prefer that than “hey wolves and I’m ready to go home” because I would definitely cheat. I dunno, I guess I just like the higher stakes against a punishment.

This is me, too.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh yeah. Dying to teleport home would definitely be a temptation. That's fair. I hate it when there are weird incentives like that. I forget what game I was playing (Valheim? a Minecraft mod?) but I realized when I was just wandering around base I was using up food and not doing enough to get more, so I just killed myself whenever I got hungry. It was lame.

It's reassuring that using it to teleport is the biggest issue because I do have enough self control to never do that myself, so I feel I'm not missing out on an important part of the experience by turning keep inventory on.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mostly just play like i never want to die and it seems to do me fairly well. like yeah i'll occasionally beef it to something, but it's never intentionally and i won't have to worry about dropping all my good stuff, especially if it's an occasion where i feel like the game's kinda janky combat sort of hosed me over. travel is always accompanied by me making my way back to where i came from, ideally taking a bit of a different route to find and mark new things on my map in the process. killing myself to teleport back would deprive me of that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm usually food-poor enough (I just hate hunting, and farming takes a bit to get going then OHSHIT its winter) that the food hit for respawning is enough of a deterrent for me.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Not having the ability of respawning with my stuff really made the situation that much more frantic when I encountered my first locust nest today. :v: Especially as I'm ~8000 blocks from spawn and I haven't gotten a temporal gear to reset my location yet.

They were the 1st tier of locust, so they'd go down with 1 spear throw, but figuring out where the nest was and then how to destroy it while trying to dodge jumping wall climbing spider things and get my spears back in a small area was certainly a harrowing experience.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
:siren:boner alert:siren:

tech mod spotted:
https://mods.vintagestory.at/qptech

I can't speak to whether this thing is any good / stable at all yet, but this could be a real good motivator to get to the steel age if it doesn't suck!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Starting the goonproject to port gregtech to vintage story

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

metasynthetic posted:

:siren:boner alert:siren:

tech mod spotted:
https://mods.vintagestory.at/qptech

I can't speak to whether this thing is any good / stable at all yet, but this could be a real good motivator to get to the steel age if it doesn't suck!

I've eyed this but it really turns me off. It goes back to the the kind of boring, high tech, single block machines of early minecraft tech mods. What I'd really love is something like Minecraft's Create, the best mod with the absolutely most dogshit SEO. It is all clockwork machines and tries look explicitly big, 'low tech,' and generally fits the aesthetics so much better. Solar panels and stuff, ick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR8W-f9YhYA

Even Create I think has elements that I wouldn't want within Vintage Story, but building a huge big water wheel + gear factory would be awesome. I know we have some basic machines in this category, but Create would be such an amazing addition if you could somehow convince the devs to make it in a whole new game, hah.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Create is a ton of fun. The recent expert modpack with create in it from last year kicked tons of rear end

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i guess ultimately it's just up to what people want to make in their free time but i absolutely hope that there's some big mods that add sprawling tech stuff that's intentionally clunky and weird and tactile and does useful things but doesn't end up being boxes that just do poo poo for you. vintage story is very much ripe territory for the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got my first copper pickaxe, then mined up a decent amount of copper chunks in the surface mine I marked on the map earlier. Now I just need to do more panning to get a hammer, I guess :v:

Seriously loving this game's ever increasing complexity of systems that you constantly stumble into trying to achieve the next thing.