Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DancingMachine posted:

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1650923303886790667

Makar gets 1 game. Still a good trade for the Avs since McCann is probably done for the series. Rational play is to run at the opposing team's leading scorer when they relax long after the play is over. And go ahead and do it with a star player rather than a scrub, since they will go lighter on the suspension that way.

Edit: beaten

Why is this being described as interference and not boarding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I felt the Makar hit and the Rielly on Point hit were textbook boarding and dangerous as hell. I don't know why people are so blasé about it all. Especially the Rielly hit which was shoving a defenceless player into the boards from the goal line which has hand waved away as "not from behind so fine" even though boarding does not require checking from behind which is a different penalty entirely.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ThinkTank posted:

Makar is the best defenceman on earth gone for one game but McCann is the Kraken's best forward and goalscorer who's likely gone for the playoffs. I'd take losing the healthy guy for one game over having arguably your best player injured long term.

Just some interesting info, not meant to start anything:

Also I was at that game and it was an awful hit and horrible to see McCann slowly assisted off the ice. Even if it had been the worst player on the Kraken it was heartbreaking.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FootballFreak2 posted:

Makar is a much better player than Mcann, it's worse for the avs

The series is gonna be at least 2 more games, it's unlikely McCann is back by game 6, let alone the rest of the series.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Kings fans spitting on a cancer kid lol

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Imagine being so butt hurt about hockey that you spit on a child.

What the gently caress is wrong with them?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

deoju posted:

They cheered Bettman, what do you expect?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Well, it is an Evander Kane jersey...

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Well, it is an Evander Kane jersey...

Would a Nurse jersey make it better or worse?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Would a Nurse jersey make it better or worse?

Why would Kings fans spit on someone wearing the jersey of their best player in the series?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

deoju posted:

theres a % of people who take sports way too seriously. every year in the MLB there are at least 9-10 instances of grown men sprinting to take baseballs launched into the stands away from children

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK
Winnipeg has to be the new most cursed playoff team (besides the Leafs). If I am recalling ti correctly they've generally lost their top line forwards and D in each of the past 3-4 seasons in Round 1? Feels like it at least.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

clean ayers act posted:

theres a % of people who take sports way too seriously. every year in the MLB there are at least 9-10 instances of grown men sprinting to take baseballs launched into the stands away from children

If it isn't obvious from my posting I can get pretty heated but seriously--how the gently caress can anyone, at any degree of sports insanity, take it out on a kid???? I have talked poo poo during a game, only to see a kid a few seats down from me and I'd spend the rest of the night completely silent. If you've lost a sense of shame you gotta dial that poo poo back down, good lord.

At least someone thought to make it right.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Adults who are still emotionally invested in sports are losers. Obviously it's fine to enjoy the games and the spectacle and all that, because sports are cool, but unfortunately a lot of adult fans are immature babies who can't handle their emotions.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Adults who are still emotionally invested in sports are losers. Obviously it's fine to enjoy the games and the spectacle and all that, because sports are cool, but unfortunately a lot of adult fans are immature babies who can't handle their emotions.

It's fine to emotionally enjoy sports. I dunno how one could just sit and watch a game robotically.

But there's a difference between oh drat I'm a little bummed my team lost and oh I need to go smash my tv or spit on an opposing fan or whatever

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ginette Reno posted:

It's fine to emotionally enjoy sports. I dunno how one could just sit and watch a game robotically.

But there's a difference between oh drat I'm a little bummed my team lost and oh I need to go smash my tv or spit on an opposing fan or whatever

Yeah I should also clarify in my previous post that "talking poo poo" is shouting down to the rink. I would never start poo poo with another person in the stands. 1)I'd lose by default if I did, I'm sure of it. 2)I don't wanna gently caress up my friend's season ticket deal, and 3)other fans wanna yell sometimes too and that's okay even if I also feel like it should be illegal.

I grew up in a household where grandpappy yelled at the tv, if it isn't obvious.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
way back in 2009 when the wings were still good, i was walking out of joe louis arena with some friends, one of whom was a massive michigan fan despite not having gone to the school. He started jawing with some ohio state fan nearby(they were both wearing school colors to a wings game??) and it turned into a full on brawl.
i didn't get home until 2 hours later than i thought because i had to give statements to the police.
like wtf people

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

way back in 2009 when the wings were still good, i was walking out of joe louis arena with some friends, one of whom was a massive michigan fan despite not having gone to the school. He started jawing with some ohio state fan nearby(they were both wearing school colors to a wings game??) and it turned into a full on brawl.
i didn't get home until 2 hours later than i thought because i had to give statements to the police.
like wtf people

World Star!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah gently caress that, I'd never even dream of getting that wild

Only on the forums, thanks

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah I should also clarify in my previous post that "talking poo poo" is shouting down to the rink. I would never start poo poo with another person in the stands. 1)I'd lose by default if I did, I'm sure of it. 2)I don't wanna gently caress up my friend's season ticket deal, and 3)other fans wanna yell sometimes too and that's okay even if I also feel like it should be illegal.

I grew up in a household where grandpappy yelled at the tv, if it isn't obvious.

You should yell at the sports game and the people playing in it.

Honestly, I've never seen your posting go personal, so keep poo poo talking (even when you're wrong).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I will say that drunken fist fights between losers in the stands do liven up otherwise forgettable weekend games. It's not a Saturday night versus the Oilers unless at least one guy gets dragged backwards down the stairs by security while someone pours a beer on em.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

clean ayers act posted:

Yeah.

In contrast, a Japanese woman caught a home run ball at the World Baseball Classic. She passed it around to other fans to see and they gave it back to her. That'd never happen at an MLB park.
https://news.yahoo.com/never-seen-happen-yankee-stadium-224517898.html

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

deoju posted:

Yeah.

In contrast, a Japanese woman caught a home run ball at the World Baseball Classic. She passed it around to other fans to see and they gave it back to her. That'd never happen at an MLB park.
https://news.yahoo.com/never-seen-happen-yankee-stadium-224517898.html

When I was seven or eight I was at a Vancouver Grizzlies game and they had this blimp thing that flew around and dropped tickets. It was a pretty empty game so there weren't many people in our section. The blimp dropped tickets directly over me and my friend and we were excited and waiting for them to fall to us. Some forty year old dude from like ten rows back booked it down the stairs and snatched them out of the air above us. He got booed by everyone around him but he kept the tickets.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

IMO if McCann had the puck it would have been a legal check, therefore the aspect where he was not eligible to be hit is the key violation.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jhet posted:

You should yell at the sports game and the people playing in it.

Honestly, I've never seen your posting go personal, so keep poo poo talking (even when you're wrong).

Amen:patriot:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I'm a hockey casual but that hit looks dirty as hell to me.

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

People are really overstating mcanns impact.on a team that scores by commitee. He will be missed the most on the PK but Kraken will be just fine. Feel bad for the man himself though, extremely dirty hit. Hopefully Kraken headhunt Makar big time

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The puck deflected out of play and was nowhere near them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

FootballFreak2 posted:

Feel bad for the man himself though, extremely dirty hit. Hopefully Kraken headhunt Makar big time

Don't do it. It'll monkeys paw you so hard with these first round officials.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Don't do it. It'll monkeys paw you so hard with these first round officials.

Uah? When has a team from the PNW headhunting an Avs player for a perceived dirty hit ever gone wrong?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
lol missed high sticking call leads to Dallas goal

I love it

oh wrong thread.. well I'm just giving you a preview of what the big controversy story is going to be if Dallas squeaks out a win in this one.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Because it's not a board. Not a hit from behind in the numbers facing the....boards.

Edit: ^^^ McCann is the Kraken's top goal scorer in both rate and count metrics. He will definitely be missed.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 26, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

lol missed high sticking call leads to Dallas goal

I love it

oh wrong thread.. well I'm just giving you a preview of what the big controversy story is going to be if Dallas squeaks out a win in this one.

Eh, poo poo happens. Whatcha gonna do.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

ThinkTank posted:

When I was seven or eight I was at a Vancouver Grizzlies game and they had this blimp thing that flew around and dropped tickets. It was a pretty empty game so there weren't many people in our section. The blimp dropped tickets directly over me and my friend and we were excited and waiting for them to fall to us. Some forty year old dude from like ten rows back booked it down the stairs and snatched them out of the air above us. He got booed by everyone around him but he kept the tickets.

And that man was Tiger Williams.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Beer Gay So What posted:

Winnipeg has to be the new most cursed playoff team (besides the Leafs). If I am recalling ti correctly they've generally lost their top line forwards and D in each of the past 3-4 seasons in Round 1? Feels like it at least.

Winnipeg made the conference finals 5 years ago and swept the 105-points-in-a-shortened-season Connor McDavid Oilers 2 years ago.

They're 3-5 in playoff series in their current incarnation.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Because it's not a board. Not a hit from behind in the numbers facing the....boards.

Edit: ^^^ McCann is the Kraken's top goal scorer in both rate and count metrics. He will definitely be missed.

:eng101: there isn't actually a requirement that a hit be from behind in order to be boarding! The rulebook only requires that the hit be on a "defenseless" player and send them "violently or dangerously" into the boards. NHL refs just never call it that way because they're lazy cowards, and the league prefers the violence anyway.

There is actually a separate rule against hits from behind which applies everywhere on the ice that you might be thinking of, but it never gets called because it's an automatic major penalty.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm just so happy to see Seguin:

1)playing in the playoffs

2)contributing in a major way

It's been so long, dude has been snakebit

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/jhanhky/status/1650693766422966272?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Former Tampa assistant dropping some intel, unreal. Vasilevsky has been pretty bad

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/jhanhky/status/1650693766422966272?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Former Tampa assistant dropping some intel, unreal. Vasilevsky has been pretty bad

I for one am happy about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Way to completely blow it Kings. We were all counting on you.