Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kashuno posted:

Had a pick I'm curious what folks would do. P2P2, deep black after P1. Choice was between Collective Nightmare or a second copy of Deadly Derision. I ultimately ended up on Collective Nightmare but am not sure if that was the right one. Just couldn't ignore the ability to have a removal spell up with no mana

In a vacuum I would probably consider: is the treasure going to be useful for ramp or splashing, how much can I leverage the convoke, and will I let the game go long enough to need to answer bombs versus tempoing out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

i'm taking the card that costs 0 over the card that costs 3

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
For every mana you save with convoke, I'm going to pay two.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I checked the data and collective nightmare is 59.5 to derision's 60.4. close!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Drafted a gruul deck, only went 4-3 but 2 of those losses were straight up punts. one of them, I got greedy and threw a 4/4 flying haste, 4/3, and 4/4 at my opponent when they had a 5/5 incubate, and 2 random dorks while they were at 3 life. I figured even if they flashed in a blocker or something for the flyer, animated the 5/5 to block my 4/3 (it had trample) and chumped the 4/4, I'd still be in position to win the next turn. I forgot about Final Flourish, they blocked the 4/4 with a dork, sacrificed it to give my dragon -6/-6, blocked my trampler with their 5/5, and then went on to play glissa and come back. Unfortunately, I drew lands for the next 4 turns, when there was a Stoke the Flames and Invasion of Kaldheim to dig for it somewhere in my deck.

I don't feel too bad though, I beat a resolved OG Elesh Norn. I had a 4/3 before they played it, so I played Voldaren Thrillseeker to buff my guy to a 4/3 again and sacrificed it to finish them off because they had exactly 4 life.

I did pretty well for basically forgetting to draft 2-drops. I think I ended up with 3 2-drop creatures, but plenty of removal.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

https://twitter.com/lincodega/status/1650562715180580870

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

well that was the fastest trophy i think i've ever had, went 7-1 in about a half hour real-time

started out in white-red off of a p1p1 quintorius, picked up a good chunk of blue, and then a bunch of green fell into my lap including ezuri leading to this build:

it was maybe my hardest deckbuild of this set tbqh given that i had no fixing other than surveyor and some loot effects AND i hated having to get rid of my red b/c, well:

i think i made the right call that i just didn't have enough instants and sorceries to use the cards that relied on them. didn't cast wingspan once and probably should've swapped it out for a second oracle of tragedy, but i trophied so /shrug

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Meanwhile the first time I get to cast the Valkyrie my opponent copies it and pacifies mine, I want to loving die again lmao, I'm getting out of ranked

Always immediately answered, she should just set up shop in my graveyard

Edit: re "oops" discussion, I managed to survive my opp's alpha strike with a surge of salvation but I realized i killed their oracle of tragedy when that let them shuffle key cards back into their deck and I was in the stall-and-deck-them plan, I said "oops" but now I'm self conscious they thought i was being smug about winning the combat... sigh

Also finally a game where I got to untap with Valkyrie and it took over, it just took two drafts and 8 games... I am tanking her WR on 17lands lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 25, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

first 7-x in a long rear end time, with BGw incubate

https://www.17lands.com/deck/0381a5a51fae43d7b51621b8b67db1b4

Glissa won two games, but the rest was everything working together pretty cohesively, incl 6 mana invasion being a decent late game board stall breaker

I splashed the Sculpted Perfection cause I felt like I could afford the splash with the 2 late splash tokens cards

Or maybe I just got lucky 7/9 times, who knows

key points
- overgrown pest is siiick
- aetherblade agent is siiick (really any of the phyrexian transform cards seem decent based on all the games I play, opp side included)
- draft glissa
- draft sculpted perfection

I weirdly never got to really use the Compleated Huntmaster except as a reach blocker as the other token generators/enchantments did that much more, really liked traumatic revelation

war historian was the worst card as a grey ogre

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 25, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

after ONE and my first 1-3 i felt really stupid but now that i had something decent with close games that occasionally went to mutual top decks i am having more fun.

funny how that works

e: i never ran away with a game but more or less had better tempo and token generation when i won. i lost to aggro and the bad side of a topdeck war.

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 25, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what do folks think of this boros equipment deck, I feel like it would be the most fun out of the sealed pool I just pulled:

the remaining card pool of other colors and such, I'm sure there's something to be said about an orzhov deck, but I like how much equipment and equipment-synergistic stuff it gave me

thinking of putting the prankster in for something else, probably the aerialnaut, just to get another cheap critter in there. the aerialnaut is there because suddenly throwing a flying doublestriker at the opponent, possibly with a City In Flames on the field, appeals to me greatly

edit: wait, if I have Zada, Hedron Grinder, and cast Burning Sun's Fury on it to give it +2+0, would it then copy the spell and allow me to target two creatures for each copy of the spell?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 25, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I realize I am NEVER going to get this lucky of a hand again, but MAN it was satisfying as gently caress pulling it off, and having multiple protection spells to stop any shenanigans too

kithkin billyrider is a loving crazy draft/sealed card. slapping a mirran bonesplitter on it on turn 4 just makes it a horrific monster of a thing, especially if I have angelic intervention up too. had it up to a 5/5(thanks to intervention + backup counter) and walloped them for 10, then they played invasion of tarkir, convoked to kill the billyrider with it and stoke the flames, and then I let them transform the invasion so I could treachery the resulting flier to kill them with it lol

edit: god drat this deck feels GOOD

every deck I've built with this set has been wildly varied from each other and insanely fun. this might be my new favorite magic set of all time, there's just SO MUCH TO DO, and the increased variety slots really, really helps.

kithkin billyrider is a ridiculous card in the context of limited/sealed in this set, basically a mythic uncommon. kor halberd makes it a loving annihilator, and anything past that gets real stupid.

this guy, I don't think they read what City On Fire does, because they clearly had some sort of interaction as their last card, and let my 6/5 through to punch them in the face for 18

and the final match for the win, the funniest loving game I've played in AGES:
turn 1 plains
turn 2 mountain, reyav
turn 3, they play the mythic sword, I draw and play kor halberd and the mirran banesplitter that was also in my hand, equip both to reyav, dome the opponent for 5 and 5 double strike
turn 4, they play the evil filigree familiar, I treachery it, dome them for another 10 from reyav and 3 from the familiar

just a joy. just grinning ear to ear. had one loss to a dude who had it all, multiple mythic battles, sunfall, etc, but otherwise just absolutely no-sold the competition. love this set.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 25, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Got my account back :,)

I'm also just auto-conceding to that UG Venerated Rotpriest deck. It's not uncommon for them to stall out after they play out their hand, but I'm just tired of how hard it is to interact with unless you have board wipes or sac spells. At least with RDW you know you're hosed by turn three.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Got my account back :,)

I'm also just auto-conceding to that UG Venerated Rotpriest deck. It's not uncommon for them to stall out after they play out their hand, but I'm just tired of how hard it is to interact with unless you have board wipes or sac spells. At least with RDW you know you're hosed by turn three.

I hate that deck, it’s so much shittier than GW enchants and Wx Virtuoso, both of which are incredibly lovely one trick ponies.

I usually win against all three no matter what deck I’m playing but if they have the nut draw you just straight up lose no matter what.

Oh cool Skrelv into triple Rot Priest into triple protection cantrips very original sir.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
:( my first sub-3-3 today. https://www.17lands.com/deck/c5066262f302417d8b0ac86c70a422ad - 1-3 with this one.

First match yesterday absolutely crushed with a strong curve of rottentail into Instructor into the 0/2 backup citizen guy into Doomskar, then I just could bring the same level of gas in the follow-ups :( I can't obviously spot any major errors either; I was within 3 of killing my final opponent with more or less the same curve, but flooded out in the last coupel of rounds, then they drew H&K into See Double and lol, lmao. Definitely had horrible screw in one match, and was definitely keeping semi-questionable hands with a curve but not a very good one, and I felt the lack of good starting creatures, but mulliganing 3 lands with both colours and at least one two-drop feels SO bad.

If there are any very obvious errors I'd appreciate knowing about them, though.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 25, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

space uncle posted:

I hate that deck, it’s so much shittier than GW enchants and Wx Virtuoso, both of which are incredibly lovely one trick ponies.

I usually win against all three no matter what deck I’m playing but if they have the nut draw you just straight up lose no matter what.

Oh cool Skrelv into triple Rot Priest into triple protection cantrips very original sir.

If it makes you feel better, I keep trying this deck, lose 4 games in a row because I draw nothing but protection spells w nothing to protect, and then switch to something better to win some games, and then lose to the same Simic toxic deck I ditched.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lmao i cast invasion of fiora to completely clear the board and this was their next turn

I trophied to enter Diamond and my record since then has been 11-18 (37.9%), I cannot play at this level lmao, my plat run was 26-9 (74.3%) and even accounting for ups and downs that's a real watershed. I guess I will try trad. At least there I can just accept I will spend 10,000 gold a week and que sera sera, less of a treadmill

Edit:

I guess maybe the play here was Fiora to kill legendaries to clear Inga, then attack the battle to flip it? Resetting the board when I am behind on cards is bad I guess, they had a hand that was twice-sculpted by Inga too. But they had three flying creatures to my zero so I was probably toast either way

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 25, 2023

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

And a 2/3. When the streak ends it ends hard D:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.17lands.com/draft/7463e893c15346fcb29460b06d5d57bf

My first time going Trad MOM, we'll see how it goes.

I am trying to be disciplined about the splash. I think I should have taken the UB dual over Inga in P2...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OK how do you get a companion into a draft deck? I have Umori in sideboard, and zero non-creatures but it's not showing in the COmpanion slot.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Just beat mythic #219 who good-gamed me early then conceded to my removal.

edit:

thespaceinvader posted:

OK how do you get a companion into a draft deck? I have Umori in sideboard, and zero non-creatures but it's not showing in the COmpanion slot.

I think you do have to go back into deck building after you have drafted. So go to screen where you would battle and then click deck again and you should be able to drag it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OOOOOH I see.

Wow that is super unintuitive.

(I won the game anyway, and I submitted a problem report so we'll see if they're feeling snap generous as they often are lol)

Thanks

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

OOOOOH I see.

Wow that is super unintuitive.

(I won the game anyway, and I submitted a problem report so we'll see if they're feeling snap generous as they often are lol)

Thanks

I would like to see this deck! I think it has to do with not having potential for companion before you draft it (i.e. when 0 cards in your pool), but I really don't know why it works that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fritzler posted:

I would like to see this deck! I think it has to do with not having potential for companion before you draft it (i.e. when 0 cards in your pool), but I really don't know why it works that.

Well It's 1/2 so far. https://www.17lands.com/deck/00147a138c974b18b91a425703499186

E: 2/2 but I'm gonna hard lose match 5 to another H&K :(

And see double doubling my Yarok meaning i couldn't swing with it to gain life. And Seedshark. Twice today I saw H&K plus See Double.

Jeez. 4/9 record today. Oof size large.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 25, 2023

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Had a pretty sick run to Mythic over the weekend forcing U or B, imo the colours are so deep that it's still correct to do at the moment even if the Arena drafters have started to adjust.

Mythic hasn't gone as well, but we'll get into top 250 eventually.

(bottom image was just the weekend's runs)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Here's my next one:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/078193d80963452caa273b0e170f2ac3

Specific question is mostly whether or not to splash W for the Boon Bringer Valkyrie, which is definitely strong but not an absolutely unbeatable bomb, and if splashing white, whether to include either Sisay or the Angel (I'm leaning no, because they're probably not good enough to merit that amount of risk of hitting too much W early). If I'm dropping the angel, I'm probabl putting back in the Informant or maybe one of the Aetherborns or the other Mauler?

Any thoughts please? Not playing til tomorrow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

OK how do you get a companion into a draft deck?

Very carefully

wei
Jul 27, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Here's my next one:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/078193d80963452caa273b0e170f2ac3

Specific question is mostly whether or not to splash W for the Boon Bringer Valkyrie, which is definitely strong but not an absolutely unbeatable bomb, and if splashing white, whether to include either Sisay or the Angel (I'm leaning no, because they're probably not good enough to merit that amount of risk of hitting too much W early). If I'm dropping the angel, I'm probabl putting back in the Informant or maybe one of the Aetherborns or the other Mauler?

Any thoughts please? Not playing til tomorrow.

Don't splash double pips without better fixing, don't run 16 lands, the landcyclers are good enough you want to avoid cycling them unless absolutely necessary.

https://sealeddeck.tech/sN1fmSNjVX

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ok maybe I don't have trad draft mindset either because i went 0-2 in the first game and now I just feel like poo poo imagining slogging through two more matches

All the board states have been like this for the past 15 games it's miserable as gently caress lmao, love playing zephyr for zero value after eating 3 removal spells and then it is immediately killed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lmao, this Mogg Monday match is a pro-watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi_uYbgMN3o&hd=1&t=678s

entirely possible they're aware of jim and mogg monday and threw for content, but also entirely possible they didn't realize they were about to kill themselves :allears:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

0-2, 1-2, 1-2, dead to color screw in the last game, definitely trash played a couple of those games because of tilt. even without this, the decks were mulching me in ways I didn't see in ranked, like everyone was using Invasion of Muraganda to just fight and stomp over me lol. Was whoever was saying Trad Draft was softer just trying to hustler suckers into the queue lol

The double losses per trad event also tanked my numbers lol, on number of games it's now 44-36 (55.0%). I don't want to think it but most of the good feelings about the set got washed away by that long descent lol, I guess that is inevitable if I play until I'm out of currency. I am down to the floor of 3400 gems for the next mastery set so I can't really keep going even if I wanted to

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'd expect the MOM trad draft queue to be absolutely brimming with Pro Tour players and their testing teams in preparation for May 5-7 right now

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My takeaway from this format is that it's VOW all over again. Open palm-slam your bombs asap or you lose. My only attempt so far went 3-3.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Horace Kinch posted:

My takeaway from this format is that it's VOW all over again. Open palm-slam your bombs asap or you lose. My only attempt so far went 3-3.

not really

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Horace Kinch posted:

It's not

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

jpmeyer posted:

on that note, what did you send in your request? on desktop i would send my logs with the request but i didn't think you could do that with mobile

Couple pages back but I just described it and time stamped it approximately, I couldn't find any way to send logs from the tablet.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

0-2, 1-2, 1-2, dead to color screw in the last game, definitely trash played a couple of those games because of tilt. even without this, the decks were mulching me in ways I didn't see in ranked, like everyone was using Invasion of Muraganda to just fight and stomp over me lol. Was whoever was saying Trad Draft was softer just trying to hustler suckers into the queue lol

The double losses per trad event also tanked my numbers lol, on number of games it's now 44-36 (55.0%). I don't want to think it but most of the good feelings about the set got washed away by that long descent lol, I guess that is inevitable if I play until I'm out of currency. I am down to the floor of 3400 gems for the next mastery set so I can't really keep going even if I wanted to

AngryBooch posted:

I'd expect the MOM trad draft queue to be absolutely brimming with Pro Tour players and their testing teams in preparation for May 5-7 right now

Bo3 queue has been kinda rough for MOM, yeah. mostly running into people who clearly know what they are doing. still probably way better EV than diamond/mythic ranked tho

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Midweek madness sealed got more wins in a row than any real sealed deck I built. I guess part of it is just way more people playing since it's free, and they don't care that much about losing, but I feel like the deck I made just mashing 2 colours together would actually work somewhat in real sealed. The battle that flips into a zombie generator combined with Elspeth and Eilish and a handful of removal and just curving out has been great. Played an extra one just for fun.

Tempted to try that trio together in standard. The one time I was going to actually flip Norn with zombie sacrifice she got jailed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Midweek madness sealed got more wins in a row than any real sealed deck I built. I guess part of it is just way more people playing since it's free, and they don't care that much about losing, but I feel like the deck I made just mashing 2 colours together would actually work somewhat in real sealed. The battle that flips into a zombie generator combined with Elspeth and Eilish and a handful of removal and just curving out has been great. Played an extra one just for fun.

Tempted to try that trio together in standard. The one time I was going to actually flip Norn with zombie sacrifice she got jailed.

Oh, MOM phantom sealed should keep me occupied tomorrow lol

3-0, had a cool setup with Dreg Recycler and Juri, I guess it makes sense my prize was the Juri style

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There’s no way to empty your deck for quick restart when you’re building in sealed, right?