Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I dunno, I can think of a lot more practical ways to get around than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

He ain't Sting, that's for sure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hopefully he's still stuck in Elvis mode.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Very cool of Villenueve to make a real Shai-Hulud.

PS: All glory to Shai-Hulud.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

May his passage cleanse the world.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

New Mulaney standup is up on Netflix, going to check it out tonight, been looking forward to it for a while.

I saw it live and it owns, enjoy!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

Lol. As I mentioned to another goon, it's actually a love square this season, with Nikolai. I was impressed by how likeable he made a sarcastic prince.

Introducing him as a pirate was the only way to trick me into liking him, too predisposed to mistrust royalty. Plus he was a good robin hoody pirate.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

swickles posted:

New Mulaney standup is up on Netflix, going to check it out tonight, been looking forward to it for a while.

Divorce, rehab and having a kid has finally made baby J look his age. Still funny though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Love to see father time finally overcome Hollywood magic.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sekhmnet posted:

Divorce, rehab and having a kid has finally made baby J look his age. Still funny though.

Watching it now and jeez you weren’t kidding. Couldn’t tell this from my seat

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

John Mulaney has long been one of my favorite stand-ups. His new special is pretty good, but I think it's my least favorite of his three. It's his most personal, for sure, but I think it suffers from something that happens to a lot of comedians eventually, and that's the "I'm famous!" syndrome. There's a fair amount of name dropping, which is fair, given who was at his intervention, but there's a lot of the stuff where comedians get too famous to have stories that connect with normal people. Even his rehab stories get wrapped up in this.

Like, his previous specials had bits about being nervous in Best Buy, or getting letters from your college asking for more money. This special has a bit about getting a call from Pete Davidson while in rehab. And one bit about how he wasn't recognized at rehab. And yeah, that happened to him, but it's a decidedly different vibe than before. And I'm not talking about how he referenced how it will feel different than before because he's not coked out anymore. I'm saying this is a definitely different special from him, and it's as a "famous person".

It is still very funny, though. It's not like he went Chappelle or something.

edit: Full disclosure, I haven't finished it yet. I'm about 2/3 the way through it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 26, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arist posted:

For what it's worth, this is not a given in real life US schools. From what I've read, Abbott Elementary has been praised for the way it shows how teaching should generally treat students, particularly since it's depicting a school that is majority black, so even just the idea of not treating students like they're inherently problems is going to be somewhat political.

e: this is the article I was thinking of:

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2023/04/abbott-elementary-teacher-approach-black-students-punishment/673800/

Is it ultimately a US sitcom so it shows the lovely reality of teaching but it also has characters that care and work together because it’s supposed to make you feel good not be a depressing documentary. Same as the Office or Superstore or Brooklyn 99 or whatever.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

there's a lot of the stuff where comedians get too famous to have stories that connect with normal people. Even his rehab stories get wrapped up in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1wvnwv93Pg

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Is it ultimately a US sitcom so it shows the lovely reality of teaching but it also has characters that care and work together because it’s supposed to make you feel good not be a depressing documentary. Same as the Office or Superstore or Brooklyn 99 or whatever.

we are the goate evil mirror universe to the expanded shurverse

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

I know its a number of pages back but thanks for all the recommendations! Sandbaggers is incredible.

For a spy show that's almost entirely set inside offices and mostly about bureaucratic wheeling and dealing, it's one of the most tense and horrible of the lot. Sandbaggers rules.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Khanstant posted:

Introducing him as a pirate was the only way to trick me into liking him, too predisposed to mistrust royalty. Plus he was a good robin hoody pirate.

With a freaking detachable flying ship! It was some next-level Captain Hook/Jolly Roger poo poo.

I liked this season a hell of a lot more. Between the cool revenge plot of the Crows, Ben Barnes chewing up scenery, Alina actually doing something as opposed to being weak, and the shitloads of cool new characters (the other two half-Shu Heartrenders, Nikolai, the AMAZING Shu Sankta, the two wind magic people, and Wylan) this was better done. It even got rid of most of the Matthias scenes, which I was so BORED by the first season. I get he's cute and is probably a good actor, but his sullen, grumpy self being a sad-sack gets annoying.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

edit: Full disclosure, I haven't finished it yet. I'm about 2/3 the way through it.

The final 10 minutes are one of the most “I’m famous!” sections, given they’re about an interview he gave, but it’s also one of the funniest parts imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
did anyone other than me watch RAIN DOGS

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

lol pretty much.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

oh man did they finally make the tom waits series ive been dreaming of *checks wiki* aw nuts

I've been really enjoying watching the original The Prisoner, not sure any single TV intro has gotten me as hyped and into a show, not even you Peacemaker. I just finished episode 4 with the election, I don't have quite the sense of "oh poo poo it's that guy!" as I did watching Columbo but it's great watching Patrick Mcgoohan play against a rotating cast of folks

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’ve been rewatching Banshee because apparently they’re was a 4th season I never saw. It’s a fun show but it’s definitely got some questionable treatment of women. I guess that’s “ok” since everyone on the show is kind of scumbag and it’s all got a very hyper reality neo noir/pulp vibe. I guess I’m just wrestling with how much I enjoy it when it’s like pure macho dad energy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Season 4 turns that specific dial all the way up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Escobarbarian posted:

The final 10 minutes are one of the most “I’m famous!” sections, given they’re about an interview he gave, but it’s also one of the funniest parts imo

Having now finished it, I loved that whole bit, and I think it mostly worked as a bit of self-flagellation, and also self-therapy. Like, look within, and examine what you were like when you were truly hosed up. I can appreciate that. Also, it was hilarious.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 26, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Has anyone seen Company You Keep? Hulu pushes it to me after other shows sometimes and I've reached a point where I know I definitely don't like it but not enough to notice when it comes on and stop working to change it. It's in the sweet spot for noise so uninteresting I won't be distracted by it.

I'm kind of curious if there's an umbrella name or way to encapsulate the corniness but intensity and self-seriousness of it. Might also be the way it's poo poo, kind of a night time soap opera, heightens the melodrama? There's also no chemistry between the two main romantic leads, not sure how much of it is because the main guy is the douchey badboy boyfriend from Gilmore girls and all he can do is inert loner.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm mostly just bugged that we ended up with True Lies/Mr. and Mrs Smith knock-off, a True Lies remake and still have a Mr. and Mrs. Smith remake on the way. What a weird trend for TV to pick.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Haha. That was Guillermo Del Toro in the latest Barry? Holy poo poo.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Oh hell yes.

Malibu getting his chest caved in on human cannonball caused a rule change that the contenders had to keep their knees bent and not kick. I wanna think that human cannonball might have been dropped completely after a few seasons because of the injuries.

There had better be mention of Wesley Two Scoops Berry. Dude broke the game ... then broke the law.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

That feeling when you're sitting in class waiting for anyone else to put their hand up and then it just doesn't happen and you end up putting your hand up.

It's very good. I'm two weeks behind because I'm watching it with mates, but I enjoyed the first six episodes. It's funny, and I like that it's one of those stories that looks at unusual relationships (in this case in talking about extreme codependency) without feeling the need to do that middle class thing of judging and pathologising and moralising.

DMC is obviously great, but Florian is the star; he's not the kind of character I've seen represented very often, but there are parts of him I've seen in various people IRL. Obviously difficult and brutal, probably mostly difficult and brutal, but he's also very raw and clever and I dunno. Don't really have the words for it, but it'sa great character and performance. The episode that's mostly just the two of them and her kid in the country house is really, really great.

Nice to see Camille Coudouri break from type as the mum. She's a great actress. Lot of good character actors in this generally; Tanya Moodie and Anna Chancellor have been loving everywhere these last few years, but with good reason, and that guy who's cornered the market on hot posh twats is giving me good vibes that make me think he'll actually have some sort of career.

I dunno, at the risk of writing too much: it's not a fun show, but it can be very funny, and it's moving and chewy. Like Somebody, Somewhere or Betty, it's very much something that would have come out of the last decade of HBO and nowhere loving else, which also makes it valuable IMO. Sad to think that this kind of TV could be on its last legs.

"Heyyy, we're two horny babes, trapped in a women's shelter with no men to satisfy us."

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

breadshaped posted:

So WB released a new trailer for Band of Brothers. It's really fascinating to see how much has changed from 2002 to 2023 in terms of trailer editting.

old:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wlYPlwjGOY

new:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKRBAFlN5ww

Opening silence, isolated drum beats for inconsequential things (Nixon slapping a mosquito :v:), tonally inconsistent with the actual show it's all great
and now one for The Pacific. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1fXW-dU1Cc
hmm i wonder which trailer will be next

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just when you thought there were the right amount of phones...

https://twitter.com/blackmirror/status/1651239485626109953

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I finished the Diplomat on netflix and I really liked it. It's like House of Cards and West Wing had a baby. Very good.

Just watched the first episode of Mrs. Davis on Peacock. I was not expecting much but the trailer caught my eye and uh....this is not at all the show I was expecting but it was a ton of fun and weird in all the right ways. Great pilot episode, if they keep it up I could see this becoming one of my favorite shows so far this year.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Don't even need that preview, they make new Black Mirror I'll watch it. It's like watching the news ahead of time.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Is there a site somewhere that will give you a "If you liked show A, you might like X, Y, and Z" kind of thing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My friend it is this very thread.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

zoux posted:

My friend it is this very thread.

I probably should have expected that. I kinda just wanted to browse through lists and read show synopsis and stuff all in one spot!!

Anyway I am finally watching the rest of Lucifer during my latest single month long Netflix resubscription and wanted to find some other shows that might be similar in tone that I wasn't already aware of or had watched previously. Maybe I need to sub to Paramount+ for a month to catch up on Evil.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
If you like television, you should watch Patriot on Amazon.

:hai:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sirotan posted:

Anyway I am finally watching the rest of Lucifer during my latest single month long Netflix resubscription and wanted to find some other shows that might be similar in tone that I wasn't already aware of or had watched previously. Maybe I need to sub to Paramount+ for a month to catch up on Evil.

Are you looking for a supernatural type procedural or a sort of hang out comedy thing?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Are you looking for a supernatural type procedural or a sort of hang out comedy thing?

Probably leaning more toward the procedural end of things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I probably should have expected that. I kinda just wanted to browse through lists and read show synopsis and stuff all in one spot!!

Do you want it similar in terms of procedural stuff or similar in terms of supernatural stuff. If the latter - Sandman on Netflix, since that's literally where DC Lucifer came from.

Oh didn't see your second thing, well: Supernatural and Grimm

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sirotan posted:

Probably leaning more toward the procedural end of things.

Ghosts on CBS is good.