Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I had a dream last night where I was watching Shaquille O'Neil give a presentation at my old middle school about "the dark history of ______ middle school," and this involved a giant BotW Guardian robot for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Can’t wait to finish exploring and kill Calamity Ganon in like thirty seconds while taking no damage the whole time.

Hope you’re not being sarcastic here because this is more or less how it will go down lol

Really crossing my fingers for a more substantial final boss fight in TotK

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Fifty Three posted:

I'm still suspicious that the gameplay demo was on a dev build and the final game won't have coordinates, but the numbers being gracefully curved along the map is an argument against that suspicion.

Didn't Aonuma say development was complete as of the demo video?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Augus posted:

if you want to get super-detailed about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/63c915/cooking_in_breath_of_the_wild_getting_the_most/

tl;dr:
-Monster Guts, Tails, and Keese Eyeballs are the most useful monster ingredients for cooking, don't waste your rare miniboss parts
-Adding a dragon horn to anything maxes the meal timer at 30 minutes
-Cooking in the half hour before a blood moon will boost your meals
-As a general rule, potions tend to be less good for potency but better for the length of the effect because of how much time monster parts can add to your dish. You can't make a Level 2 Attack Up potion since that would require 5 bladed rhino beetles + a monster part, but you can use 1 bladed rhino beetle + 4 monster guts to make a Level 1 attack potion that will last ~13 minutes
:psyduck:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I really like Tunic, it's a really, really clever way to update the concept of a Zelda puzzle. Wish its story made sense and was good, though.

you're a little fox in a big weird world, what's not to get

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Aren’t Blood Moons triggered by the game’s memory or whatever getting close to full and needing to be reset, and not on a regular cycle? If so, how would the game know or be able to predict when one is coming?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Aren’t Blood Moons triggered by the game’s memory or whatever getting close to full and needing to be reset, and not on a regular cycle? If so, how would the game know or be able to predict when one is coming?

I think there are weird sound effects and red lighting and stuff before the moon actually hits midnight. So maybe if you cook it then? I've definitely never done it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Winifred Madgers posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean the demo was using the completed version.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Winifred Madgers posted:

You're right, he did, but my first thought when he said that (even before seeing the coordinates) was that he might not be playing that same build or he might have secret dev stuff turned on for the purpose of the demo.

edit dammit beaten lol

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Okay I actually looked into it and while Blood Moons can be triggered by memory nearing its limits, they are also somewhat scheduled, to the point where one guy at Dueling Peaks Stable can tell you during the day if that night will have a Blood Moon. The more you know!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

We've seen the coordinates in the TV spots. I think it's safe to say they're sticking around

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Okay I actually looked into it and while Blood Moons can be triggered by memory nearing its limits, they are also somewhat scheduled, to the point where one guy at Dueling Peaks Stable can tell you during the day if that night will have a Blood Moon. The more you know!

And non-emergency Blood Moons always hit at exactly midnight 12:00, and you can see the red moon rising much earlier than that. At 11:30 (so 30 seconds before in real time) you'll start getting clear audio cues that it's coming.

These are just my experiences, I haven't looked anything up. I didn't know about the elixir-cooking boost either.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it'd be a bizzarre mistake to leave coordinates on during the prerecorded demo

obv. the coordinates will be part of some puzzles where you can see an area but only reach it by going exactly below it and using that power that lets link swim up through rock. the coordinates will help you know what you're underneath

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There are some specifics about the Blood Moon logic here:

https://zeldamods.org/wiki/Blood_moon

I wonder if the various heap sizes are bigger on Switch than Wii U given the additional available memory.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Khanstant posted:

Haha remember that actual grimdark Zelda that looked like a late 90s Image comic book? I will give it credit for sometimes having very Zelday moments and even a few dungeons experiences but the whole tone and aesthetic was just such a whiff I couldn't finish it. Guns and Hot Topic don't make a great Zelda.
.edit: Darksiders, forget which one

Darksiders was really awesome. A solid 3D action/platformer that followed the Zelda formula but was also as you said lovely late 00’s grimdark nonsense.

It’s a shame that 2 was so terrible and 3 came out with zero fanfare even though it was pretty enjoyable.

Zelda related, I beat the hardest mission in Age of Calamity using my beastly characters but mostly Impa, because she rules. Mipha is cool though because she healed the rest of my team for free! So I guess I’m actually done with that game now?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

He also freaks out when a Blood Moon actually happens.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

maltesh posted:

He also freaks out when a Blood Moon actually happens.

So did I the first dozen times I saw it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The first blood moon of my most recent (and first full) playthrough came after I spent like 25 minutes painstakingly clearing out a much higher level camp where basically anything in there could one-shot me. Seconds before I was about to kill the final Moblin, the blood moon triggered and everything respawned with me directly in the middle of the camp. I died to an arrow a few seconds later. I think I ended up clearing out maybe one camp in my entire playthrough.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Darksiders was really awesome. A solid 3D action/platformer that followed the Zelda formula but was also as you said lovely late 00’s grimdark nonsense.

It’s a shame that 2 was so terrible and 3 came out with zero fanfare even though it was pretty enjoyable.

Zelda related, I beat the hardest mission in Age of Calamity using my beastly characters but mostly Impa, because she rules. Mipha is cool though because she healed the rest of my team for free! So I guess I’m actually done with that game now?

Did people hate Darksiders 2? I thought it was quite well received and the franchise went into troubles because of THQ eating poo poo.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
In all seriousness blood moods are maybe my favorite mechanic in all of gaming. They didn't have supply a reason why monsters and stuff respawn after a while but instead we get some amazingly creepy spectacle, between the reversed notes in the music, the embers floating around and that glowing, red moon surrounded by a solar-eclipse-like corona. Just amazing to see.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Caidin posted:

Did people hate Darksiders 2? I thought it was quite well received and the franchise went into troubles because of THQ eating poo poo.

It wasn’t really anything like the first one, it kinda threw out the Zelda influence and leaned into being a God of War clone, but slightly more open-world. The random loot drop system was really bad. Also the story was only barely related to the first game, I think you go to post-apocalyptic Earth like once the whole game. I guess it was well-regarded when it first came out, I’m not sure.

Edit: I had an issue with blood moons where my game would glitch out and trigger a blood moon every time I approached one of the dragons. Closing the game fixed it, gotta love those memory leaks.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
was out running errands today and tried to pre-order at gamestop while I was out, because i want physical release but i ALSO want to play it at midnight like everyone who buys digitally

unfortunately, their systems were down, so i couldn't do so. Figured "eh, whatever, i'll just pre-order online"

I get home, and the only option for pre-order is "have it shipped to your house 1-3 days after the game launches"

:argh:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Volte posted:

The first blood moon of my most recent (and first full) playthrough came after I spent like 25 minutes painstakingly clearing out a much higher level camp where basically anything in there could one-shot me. Seconds before I was about to kill the final Moblin, the blood moon triggered and everything respawned with me directly in the middle of the camp. I died to an arrow a few seconds later. I think I ended up clearing out maybe one camp in my entire playthrough.

lol :owned:

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.
My first blood moon happened soon after I left the Great Plateau. I happened on a bokoblin camp in the pass between the Dueling Peaks. I went in thinking I can totally get all these guys. Cue me getting super owned, using up all my weapons and getting to like 1 heart before I cleared them all. Then saying phew, sat down at the campfire told myself I will sleep til morning then take care of my health etc. Cue the blood moon sequence right then and suddenly waking up in the middle of the camp surrounded. I was killed seconds after.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: I had an issue with blood moons where my game would glitch out and trigger a blood moon every time I approached one of the dragons. Closing the game fixed it, gotta love those memory leaks.

That sounds rad though?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I got my first blood moon leaving the tutorial island to beeline hyrule castle. I was running up the side of one of the big pillars I figured you used to parachute to the castle and midflight the blood moon happened and I thought it was because I crossed the hurle castle threshold. It reset me back onto the pillar I think, and I wasn't sure if I was allowed to go to the castle or if that cutscene was a warning or something. So I tried again and got into the castle.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Giant Horse update: You can't just mow down guardians by running them over like you can other enemies. RIP Potoooooooo

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Supremezero posted:

That sounds rad though?

it would be but i do believe that also de-spawns the dragons

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

was out running errands today and tried to pre-order at gamestop while I was out, because i want physical release but i ALSO want to play it at midnight like everyone who buys digitally

unfortunately, their systems were down, so i couldn't do so. Figured "eh, whatever, i'll just pre-order online"

I get home, and the only option for pre-order is "have it shipped to your house 1-3 days after the game launches"

:argh:

If you’re looking for a physical copy, you’ll be able to walk into any store that sells games on May 12 and buy it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Peachy Nietzsche posted:

My first blood moon happened soon after I left the Great Plateau. I happened on a bokoblin camp in the pass between the Dueling Peaks. I went in thinking I can totally get all these guys. Cue me getting super owned, using up all my weapons and getting to like 1 heart before I cleared them all. Then saying phew, sat down at the campfire told myself I will sleep til morning then take care of my health etc. Cue the blood moon sequence right then and suddenly waking up in the middle of the camp surrounded. I was killed seconds after.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD MOON :black101:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

kidcoelacanth posted:

it would be but i do believe that also de-spawns the dragons

Yeah, and I really needed those scales/horn shards!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
After finishing Prime Remastered and burning myself out on my usual pop and play stuff, I’ve decided I will play LTTP for the first time. We’ll see how it goes. Depending on how opaque the solutions to puzzles and progressing are i may not end up finishing it.

It’s hosed up that link has pink hair though

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Always interesting to see how it holds up from a fresh perspective. I think they're only one puzzle in it that really stopped me back in the day, and even that can be circumvented depending on how you approach it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I’m pretty dumb so we’ll see. I think the only 2D one I’ve actually finished is Oracle of ages. Tbh the only Zelda game I’ve finished and liked enough to play again is BOTW so 🤷🏻‍♂️

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
My first blood moon happened when I was 17. It was a warm summer. I worked at the community pool. It was an easy and fun job. Got to flirt with the girls. Life was good. Then in late August, some kids from the town started to disappear. And red balloons would often be seen mysteriously floating across the sky. The adults tried to figure out what was going on, but we never did get the full story of that warm summer. The summer the moon ran red with blood.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You CAN mow down guardians with Giant Horse. Just charge them and trample their legs! Ya'll can keep you Eponas and "White Horse"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TOLK looks cool but can you race terriers??

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SirPablo posted:

My first blood moon happened when I was 17. It was a warm summer. I worked at the community pool. It was an easy and fun job. Got to flirt with the girls. Life was good. Then in late August, some kids from the town started to disappear. And red balloons would often be seen mysteriously floating across the sky. The adults tried to figure out what was going on, but we never did get the full story of that warm summer. The summer the moon ran red with blood.

"My son drowned, why didn't you do anything?"
"The weird guy by the food truck said there's going to be a blood moon, so your son should respawn during that."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cojawfee posted:

"The weird guy by the food truck said there's going to be a blood moon, so your son should respawn during that."

I got isekai'd, then pulled back to my original life during the next bloodmoon in another world with my smartphone Sheikah Slate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Cojawfee posted:

"What are you saying?! My son wasn't a monster!"

"Well, he did actually die, right? So I'm going to have to disagree with you on that."