Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I like how every MKBHD employee has a Pro Display XDR on their desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

You absolutely, 100%, for certain need those to grade rec709 YouTube content.

tbh I don't know if they produce anything else or not

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

teraflame posted:

I like how every MKBHD employee has a Pro Display XDR on their desk.

As if those monitors weren't provided for free for "evaluation purposes"... MKBHD has enough clout to request items in almost perpetuity, especially for production equipment.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SlowBloke posted:

As if those monitors weren't provided for free for "evaluation purposes"... MKBHD has enough clout to request items in almost perpetuity, especially for production equipment.

That’s not how that’s supposed to work, right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I doubt any Youtuber has enough clout to get free stuff to keep from Apple, though they probably like them being very visible. There's also the usual influencer thing of needing to look like a big deal, and showing in your video that you have multiple $6k monitors serves that master too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is no bigger apple dickrider than mkbhd, so while he probably doesn’t have a blank check at apple, he probably gets more than other influencers, even bigger, but more apple-critical ones like LTT

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

That’s not how that’s supposed to work, right?

Pretty sure Apple claws back every piece of review hardware they send out. No reason to think Mario Kart BHD doesn't just have the money.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

He makes so much money from advertising that a few $6k monitors are a drop in the bucket

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

There is no bigger apple dickrider than mkbhd

This is Rene Ritchie erasure.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Not a youtuber but John Gruber exists

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
only an apple fanboy like mkbhd could use the same godawful scroll-based webdesign as apple for his new sneakers: https://atoms.com/mkbhd

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kliras posted:

only an apple fanboy like mkbhd could use the same godawful scroll-based webdesign as apple for his new sneakers: https://atoms.com/mkbhd

Good lord, even Linus doesn't appear to have disappeared so entirely up his own rear end when pushing his merch.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Good lord, even Linus doesn't appear to have disappeared so entirely up his own rear end when pushing his merch.

quote:

A collaboration between Marques Brownlee and Atoms represents the partnership between two innovative minds with a shared love for creativity, functionality, and quality. Featuring a sleek design that blends style and comfort, paying homage to Marques' first YouTube video and the start of his journey as a creator.

:lol:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kliras posted:

also the same stuff you see in tons of mixed media news articles these days from all over the web

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Why’s this thread always hating on Brownlee. He seems nice! His content is more tech stuff from a lifestyle/everyday people perspective and less from a sysadmin/power user/tech weirdo one, but even then reviews are always pretty even-handed and thoughtful, and honestly can be a refreshing change from your engineer-brained perspectives like GN or whatever. This thread would have you believe he’s some megashill but his reviews never really play out like that.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Yeah I don't mind him much at all, he's got some of the best edited videos and doesn't raise his voice or use weird clickbait.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Grumbles posted:

Why’s this thread always hating on Brownlee. He seems nice! His content is more tech stuff from a lifestyle/everyday people perspective and less from a sysadmin/power user/tech weirdo one, but even then reviews are always pretty even-handed and thoughtful, and honestly can be a refreshing change from your engineer-brained perspectives like GN or whatever. This thread would have you believe he’s some megashill but his reviews never really play out like that.

I don't really have an opinion on his material since I don't watch his videos, I just thought that shoe ad was comical

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Grumbles posted:

Klyith posted:

Review more phones that are under $500? His 2021 "best value" award was a $600 Pixel 6, which is dumb as gently caress. IMO looking at nothing but flagships is kinda being an industry shill.

His sole points of comparison are other flagship phones, so yeah the differences in features are relatively minor. A good reviewer would have a couple cheap phones that are stand-outs in some particular area (gaming, photos/video, etc). And so when discussing a feature set you'd have some wider reference points, and some cheaper alternatives for people that don't need a flagship phone but do want a phone that's excellent at something in particular.

Having zero reference to anything under $500 is telling people that they should spend close to a thousand dollars on a phone, which is what the industry would like them to do. That's why it's kinda shilling.

(Not that MKBHD is the only person doing this by a long shot. Can't remember the last time I saw Ars Technica review a cheap laptop, and their Cars section has been really gross at catering exclusively to the BMW market. Why would you make content about things made for poor people? That means you'll have lots of poor people in your audience. Your ads metrics will be full of poors!)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I remember you posted this a while back and it’s honestly a little insane.

It should be pretty obvious that by ‘best value’ they don’t mean ‘budget phone award’. It’s the best value high end phone. They review higher-end stuff. That doesn’t make them a shill. Shilling is when you are presenting a product overly favourably to maintain your good PR with a manufacturer and safeguard your preferential access (or presenting a product overly favourably in exchange for straight up compensation).

Being more excited about higher-end tech, or more keen to make content around it, is not being an industry shill. A lot of the time, their content is saying unfavourable things about the new tech, or explicitly saying it’s not worth the upgrade. It’s been a huge thing around the M2 macs, or the new HomePods - them saying ‘if you have the last gen, you really don’t need this’. It seems like a stretch to call them a shill because their content focuses on the new shiny things, while ignoring that their evaluation of the new shiny thing is often mixed, muted, or restrained. They focus on new things because that’s where the audiences are. This is the reason all tech YouTube channels exist - because people want to hear about the new flagship stuff, whether or not they’re in the market to buy it.

A lot of outlets do look at budget tech. The verge did a great piece recently on budget laptops. The takeaway is usually that it’s not great, and you’re better off finding a cheap refurbished laptop that’s a few years old but was once top of the line, then you are buying a new (but poo poo) Chromebook or whatever.

There are lots of other weird takes in your post (ad metrics do not generally work like you are describing. If a YouTube viewer gets served an ad, then the creator gets paid. They do not get paid more if the ad is for something fancy,) but it’s too much to get into really. Honestly, it’s really not as conspiratorial as how you make it out to be.

Edit: but also you’ve chosen the one YouTuber who generally doesn’t have thumbnails of them with their eyes popping out of their sockets and smoke coming out of their ears alongside a glowing cut-out of the new thing, ala LTT - which in my opinion is the point at which YouTubers are explicitly shilling for, uh, capitalism and needless consumption, for the sake of clicks and ad revenue. But mkbhd doesn’t really do that, or shout, or get hype with silly effects and graphics.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 25, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The Grumbles posted:

Yeah he’s not that bad and he doesn’t appear to be playing a “character” in his videos. I like his Apple content even though he’s generally pretty hesitant to go aggro on them. I figure most people watching him while researching before a purchase are also looking at other channels for similar reviews (at least I’d hope).

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

it isn't shilling, it's puddle deep reviews of products. it's the same reason people used to make fun of gamespot and ign

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think Mortal KomBat HD seems like a really nice dude. I think he'd be fun to sit and have a meal or a drink with and pick his brain.

Doesnt mean he isnt an Apple dickrider, and/or his content is immune from criticism.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Inept posted:

it isn't shilling, it's puddle deep reviews of products. it's the same reason people used to make fun of gamespot and ign

His camera reviews form this year seemed pretty drat good and not puddle deep. Esp for the average consumer.

E: ok just comparing two top of the line competing cameras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88kd9tVwkH8

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 25, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I used to listen to his waveform podcast back when he seemed a little bit more enamored with Musk, but stopped for some reason I can’t remember. I hope he’s put in a lot of distance from musk since the mask-off Twitter acquisition, but I’m too scared to confirm.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Grumbles posted:

I remember you posted this a while back and it’s honestly a little insane.

It should be pretty obvious that by ‘best value’ they don’t mean ‘budget phone award’. It’s the best value high end phone. They review higher-end stuff. That doesn’t make them a shill.

That is absolutely access journalism. I don't think it's awful -- he's on the same level as a lot of sports reporters. It's not the level of lying to be favorable, but omission of things that could be a negative (such as a cheap phone that has good comparisons in some area).

IMO that's being an industry shill. A whole lot of sports journalists are shills for the NFL. It is what it is.

The Grumbles posted:

Being more excited about higher-end tech, or more keen to make content around it, is not being an industry shill. A lot of the time, their content is saying unfavourable things about the new tech, or explicitly saying it’s not worth the upgrade. It’s been a huge thing around the M2 macs, or the new HomePods - them saying ‘if you have the last gen, you really don’t need this’.

If you think "you don't need to upgrade if you just bought the exact same really expensive thing a year ago" is major unfavorable criticism, we don't have much common ground on what we expect from reviewers.

I dunno, back when I wrote that post I went and watched a selection of random videos on the channel. I also went specifically looking for reviews where he was negative about stuff. I really didn't find a lot.

The Grumbles posted:

A lot of outlets do look at budget tech. The verge did a great piece recently on budget laptops. The takeaway is usually that it’s not great, and you’re better off finding a cheap refurbished laptop that’s a few years old but was once top of the line, then you are buying a new (but poo poo) Chromebook or whatever.

Can you link that because googling for verge budget laptops I'm seeing some laptop roundups that recommend actual budget laptops. (A refurb deal is definitely good when you can get it, but finding a top-of-the-line refurb that's actually priced at budget prices isn't always easy.)

The Grumbles posted:

There are lots of other weird takes in your post (ad metrics do not generally work like you are describing. If a YouTube viewer gets served an ad, then the creator gets paid. They do not get paid more if the ad is for something fancy,) but it’s too much to get into really. Honestly, it’s really not as conspiratorial as how you make it out to be.

Yeah that isn't how youtube works, but note I was talking about Ars there. Expensive / luxury brands spend more on advertising, having the target audience for those brands is value.

OTOH the guy also just put out a limited-edition shoe so um...

The Grumbles posted:

Edit: but also you’ve chosen the one YouTuber who generally doesn’t have thumbnails of them with their eyes popping out of their sockets and smoke coming out of their ears alongside a glowing cut-out of the new thing, ala LTT - which in my opinion is the point at which YouTubers are explicitly shilling for, uh, capitalism and needless consumption, for the sake of clicks and ad revenue. But mkbhd doesn’t really do that, or shout, or get hype with silly effects and graphics.

Well, I don't like LTT very much either. And tbqh I don't really hate MKBHD*, that was just my view on why IMO there's a valid criticism of the guy for shill-adjacent reasons.

*like, the content isn't for me at all because I'm not into apple or phones. so even if he was doing a better job at reviewing them, I wouldn't be watching.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Klyith posted:

That is absolutely access journalism. I don't think it's awful -- he's on the same level as a lot of sports reporters. It's not the level of lying to be favorable, but omission of things that could be a negative (such as a cheap phone that has good comparisons in some area).

IMO that's being an industry shill. A whole lot of sports journalists are shills for the NFL. It is what it is.

It's a lot of tech journalism too, there was an article being passed around yesterday from The Verge where the writer straight up said they were used to ignoring times when a product didn't work as it should which felt very "saying the quiet part loud".

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I apparently stopped watching before the reveal on release day--thanks ADHD--but it kinda surprised me that they didn't put the GPU on water. There's so much radiator volume with that case it is practically begging for the treatment. But maybe they just wanted more spinny fans out there and it was an aesthetic choice? Or didn't want to deal with shifting flow and fan control to fluid temperature? I dunno.

Just feels wrong to me.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mechanical KeyBoard High Definition

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Warmachine posted:

I apparently stopped watching before the reveal on release day--thanks ADHD--but it kinda surprised me that they didn't put the GPU on water. There's so much radiator volume with that case it is practically begging for the treatment. But maybe they just wanted more spinny fans out there and it was an aesthetic choice? Or didn't want to deal with shifting flow and fan control to fluid temperature? I dunno.

Just feels wrong to me.

I don't think Steve is that into water cooling, and my understanding is that in most situations (non-extreme overclock builds) the top air coolers perform the same as water cooling.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I don't think Steve is that into water cooling, and my understanding is that in most situations (non-extreme overclock builds) the top air coolers perform the same as water cooling.

It’s a show build with two giant RGB radiators. I suspect some sort of logistics issue, like anything from they had to swap the card last moment or for whatever reason tubing couldn’t be routed due to repairs reducing space or even it took so long that the best cards were now big enough that it blocked something.

I’m surprised they didn’t say, I glanced quickly at the comments because they sometimes add a bit of info there but I didn’t see anything.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mechanical KeyBoard Home Defense

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

No that’s Jayz, though I stopped watching him primarily because he dialed up his clickbait titles and thumbnails to 11 so I have no idea what any of his vids are unless I sit through them

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Steve seems to not use watercooling himself, but these days his PCs are 100% work. In reviews and videos he's mildly pro on water for the performance. Decent watercooling (just a good AIO, not custom loop) does perform slightly better than the best air cooler, but the end result is pretty meaningless if you aren't doing anything special with OC. Like, your CPU will boost to 5.1ghz instead of 5. Woo.

I think the reason to not watercool the GPU on a PC build like that is makes replacing the GPU impossible for someone who doesn't know custom loop water. The CPU is gonna be fine for a while, but a GPU upgrade at some point is likely.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
custom loop also requires maintenance that maybe the people they give the computer to might not want to deal with

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

buglord posted:

No that’s Jayz, though I stopped watching him primarily because he dialed up his clickbait titles and thumbnails to 11 so I have no idea what any of his vids are unless I sit through them

Glad to know I'm not missing much. He made an rear end of himself during the summer of 2020 but I think what really highlighted his dickishness was when he installed a keypad lock on the door to his computer and game room to keep his own family out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shipon posted:

custom loop also requires maintenance that maybe the people they give the computer to might not want to deal with

...but what they sent the guy was a custom loop. it was just cpu-only.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I just assumed it was just that that case had the GPU on the outside and thus probably already about as cool as it would ever get.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

buglord posted:

Jay is alright for modding content and he is pretty good at it. Anything news-related is like getting the information third hand from somebody who got it from a post on Facebook though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

He's milquetoast in criticism, even on bad items, plus his youtuber voice makes him sound like white noise. He has good production values but content-wise there are more interesting reviewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Even the best YouTube reviewers are significantly worse than reviews we used to get from Anand, Ian, and people of that caliber.

Even Ian himself seems to have recognized this, because his videos are about anything other than the things he used to write about.